Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

What's your opinion of my website? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I posted this in the chat forum but then realised this is probably a more appropriate place to post.

So this website was created by University College London Students to help school students with their A-levels, GCSEs and degree choices. I am looking for opinions on colours, fonts, homepage, 'about us' page etc. Ways to improve and what currently looks good to help make the website look as great as possible

www.thestudentsolutions.co.uk

Thank you for taking the time to leave your opinion!

ReputationRep:
    It's basically TSR, but more long-winded, is all I can say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appeal)
    It's basically TSR, but more long-winded, is all I can say.
    Thanks for your response. Although, if you could contribute some feedback about how the website looks in terms of colours/font/layout that would be great.

With respect to the nature of the website, that's not going to change, it looks to get university students directly involved in volunteering to help school students in the many schools affiliated with UCL and it has been successfully helping school students for a couple of months now with an already strong university student volunteer base.

ReputationRep:
    I really like the design, from a technical point of view one thing that is bugging me is the arrows on the slides (left and right) have a huge click radius, to me it would be a bit better if only the actual transparent popup panels for the left and right arrows were used to navigate left and right. Also rather than having just the "here" button as a link in the flowchartesk slide you could have the entire ask a question button clickable. Also the Home and About Us toolbar at the top seems to make whichever you aren't currently on invisible, didn't even realize there was an about us section until i dragged my mouse over it.

Theater is missing a capital letter on the "ask about university" form, also on the ask about school work form it would be a bit smoother if the form generated after you clicked on the relevant sticky note worked in the same manner as the university ask a question form (pop up within the site rather than a new window). Also i'm not liking the green arrows on the window with the option to either choose to ask about university or school, honestly i would disable them as people could mistakenly cycle to one without realizing which it is and instead just make the relevant window popup when they click one of the two buttons.

Also the green arrow on the main flowchartesk slide pops up and changes direction when you hover over it without any clear reason why.

But yeh the actual layout is pretty good, very direct and the theme seems to suit the whole online student community genre pretty well. Would give it a 7/10 for what has been done so far, 8/10 if the panels and grayed out buttons are fixed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    I really like the design, from a technical point of view one thing that is bugging me is the arrows on the slides (left and right) have a huge click radius, to me it would be a bit better if only the actual transparent popup panels for the left and right arrows were used to navigate left and right. Also rather than having just the "here" button as a link in the flowchartesk slide you could have the entire ask a question button clickable. Also the Home and About Us toolbar at the top seems to make whichever you aren't currently on invisible, didn't even realize there was an about us section until i dragged my mouse over it.

Theater is missing a capital letter on the "ask about university" form, also on the ask about school work form it would be a bit smoother if the form generated after you clicked on the relevant sticky note worked in the same manner as the university ask a question form (pop up within the site rather than a new window). Also i'm not liking the green arrows on the window with the option to either choose to ask about university or school, honestly i would disable them as people could mistakenly cycle to one without realizing which it is and instead just make the relevant window popup when they click one of the two buttons.

Also the green arrow on the main flowchartesk slide pops up and changes direction when you hover over it without any clear reason why.

But yeh the actual layout is pretty good, very direct and the theme seems to suit the whole online student community genre pretty well. Would give it a 7/10 for what has been done so far, 8/10 if the panels and grayed out buttons are fixed.
    This is perfect, thank you very much for your feedback! We have known about the popping up green arrow for a while now and why it does so is actually a complete mystery to us having gone over all the design codes! But in all seriousness, you've raised some good points so thank you for taking the time to take a look!

ReputationRep:
    Any more advice would be great! bump!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It looks well. I appreciate that you have quoted my favorite scientist Albert Einstein at the home page. Moreover I think the quote fits perfect to the intention of the page. I have no objections and I don't know at the moment what can be improved. When I get an idea, I will be back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    It looks well. I appreciate that you have quoted my favorite scientist Albert Einstein at the home page. Moreover I think the quote fits perfect to the intention of the page. I have no objections and I don't know at the moment what can be improved. When I get an idea, I will be back.
    Thanks for your encouragement! If you think of anything feel free to post!

ReputationRep:
    Bump this - looking for anybody viewing it on safari?

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.