Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

My boyfriend got mad and threw his phone >.< Watch

my boyfriend is a very kind, loving guy, but recently he's been getting so angry, i don't know why. i've been with him for a year and a half now.
    i try my best always to make him happy and i'm not overly clingy or overly ignorant >.< he is working at the moment, and i'm not (except voluntarily), so he tends to treat me and take me out to dinner and stuff, and i always say he never has to if he doesn't want to, but he still does, and i always show my appreciate and thank him.

at first it was him complaining that he never gets anything 'in return' from me, after i accidently bought him the wrong food at mcdonalds... it was pretty loud in there, so i misheard him.
    i said i wassorry and i offered to buy him what he wanted with my own money, and then i asked what he meant. and he told me i seemed 'ungrateful' for the things he does, taking me out for dinner, etc., and he told me 'not to bother' buying his food with my money.
    I didn't really understand this, so i tried to explain that when i do eventually find a job, i would always treat him whenever i could. but he just stayed in a bad mood for a long time, and when i tried to hug him he just ignored me >.>

and yesterday, he was texting his friends. he was apparently trying to book a weekend holiday with them and he was pissed off because he wasn't sure if he wanted to go or not - he only wanted to go if i could come with him, and i couldn't, because i had sixthform on the day he would be setting off (on a friday morning), and it's close to my AS exams. just so you know, i can only see him at weekends, because he lives some distance away from me - but not too far, so he was upset at the fact that if he went, he wouldn't see me for that weekend.

i told him i wouldn't mind if it was just one weekend, if he fancied a lads holiday, and that i wanted him to enjoy himself. however, he continued to stay pissed off, as if it was my fault that i have to stay in school that day, and kept tapping away on his phone.

i tried calling his name and stroking his hair, trying to get his attention so i could cheer him up, but he just ignored me so naturally i asked him what was wrong, why he wouldn't talk to me etc., and he told me to **** off! i was kinda shocked because he's not really like that, so i laughed it off even though i was upset and asked him to talk to me, and he told me to **** off again! so i went out of the room and made myself a snack...

i came back a little later because he seemed better, and we went upstairs to my room, and he said to me: 'i guess maybe i should have a lads holiday, you probably do need to put your studies first'. i seemed pretty happy he was being reasonable, so i felt happy too and i said i was sorry i had to be in school that day, but soon, if i did well on my A levels, i would hopefully manage to get into my chosen career of teaching, and i said stuff like, 'and we would be able to get our own place and be all happy and stuff =D'

but then i noticed he had gone quiet again, so i asked him if he was okay. he said something like, 'uhh?' so he hadn't really heard what i'd been saying, so i just said 'don't worry sweetheart ' and suddenly he went totally crazy and shouted and swore at me and threw his phone so it smacked on the floor =[

obviously this scared me a lot so i just stayed away from him and cried like an idiot >.< to cut a long story short, i tried to ask him why he threw his phone and if he was okay but he just said he didn't know.. however, in the end we made up.

but should i be worried? i've noticed that if something upsets him, no matter how minor, he always blows it out of proportion. when i try to tell him it isn't so bad, or that he doesn't need to get so sad because it'll all be okay, he always accuses me of being 'mean' or something like that, or gets even more upset, so in the end i just end up saying sorry, as if i've done something terrible. =[
    i love him a lot, but i don't really know what to do. he really is a sweet guy, but aaaah it gets stressful xD

advice guys? :c

ReputationRep:
    Men! onlyadvice I can give u is DO NOT INDULGE HIS BEHAVIOUR! when he has a hissy fit and its uncalled for, back off. Men are liike children, u indulge them and they will repeat the behaviour because he is getting a positive response.

Give as good as u get, eventually, because he is not getting the attention he wants hopefully he will start behaving like a man rather than a 2 year old.

And dont cry, act all indifferent and go about ur own life. Never give in to tantrums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anoon)
    Men! onlyadvice I can give u is DO NOT INDULGE HIS BEHAVIOUR! when he has a hissy fit and its uncalled for, back off. Men are liike children, u indulge them and they will repeat the behaviour because he is getting a positive response.

Give as good as u get, eventually, because he is not getting the attention he wants hopefully he will start behaving like a man rather than a 2 year old.

And dont cry, act all indifferent and go about ur own life. Never give in to tantrums.
    What.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

If the anger issue is something recent that has come up, then perhaps there is some reason. From what you've described, it seems as though there is something, other than you or your relationship, that's bothering him. If you can find out what this is, then that would help. However, if you can't, and I don't think it's entirely necessary for you to anyway, all you need to do is just give him some space and time; the holiday sounds a good option. Once you've spent a lot of time together, a little bit of space never hurts. It just keeps things fresh and especially since you're quite young, serious relationships are probably new to you both - it takes getting used to. After a while, you've become so close to each other that you can read what the other person is thinking/feeling. This certainly happened with my ex gf. If I sensed she was angry or even upset, the best thing I found was to give her both time to gather her thoughts and space so she wasn't bothered or feel any added pressure. I would only initiate contact after a few hours or the next day and, even then, I would keep the topic quite light hearted, not getting to the cause of the problem straight away. Before talking to someone who's upset about the issue, its best to start off with something light, casual and comfortable just to ease the mood. Well that's what I used to do anyway.

You sound like a really understanding and caring girlfriend, so I'm sure he will apologise or make up for losing his temper with you. However, if keeps swearing at you, which he definitely shouldn't do, then let him know in your own way. It's not nice and you really shouldn't stand for it. Best of luck
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like somethings stressing him out and he hasn't had the chance to let it out anywhere. Try sitting with him somewhere private, comfortable and safe, and asking him what's been up. Make sure you tell him how loving and kind he is, that you know being angry isn't like him and that you want to get your boyfriend back.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.