Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Fp2 chapter 3 Loci of complex numbers question Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm having some problems with the questions in fp2, an example of one would be:
    sketch the locus of z when:arg (z-3i) - arg(z-5) = pi/4
    in the example in the book, it says to do:

let arg (z-3i) = theta (i cant find the symbol)
    arg (z-5) = alpha

theta - alpha = pi/4

then draw both individually on an argand diagram, and the loci is the circle round the points where they intersect.

In mostly okay with that I think, but what I don't understand is sometimes the line they draw for arg (z- whatever) has a positive gradient, and sometimes it has a negative gradient - i.e. sometimes they take theta to be obtuse and sometimes they take it to be accute, and the same for alpha.
    How do you know whether theta/alpha is accute or obtuse, or when to use negative theta/alpha on your diagram?

Sorry I know I havent explained it very well but can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma09)
    Hi, I'm having some problems with the questions in fp2, an example of one would be:
    sketch the locus of z when:arg (z-3i) - arg(z-5) = pi/4
    in the example in the book, it says to do:

let arg (z-3i) = theta (i cant find the symbol)
    arg (z-5) = alpha

theta - alpha = pi/4

then draw both individually on an argand diagram, and the loci is the circle round the points where they intersect.

In mostly okay with that I think, but what I don't understand is sometimes the line they draw for arg (z- whatever) has a positive gradient, and sometimes it has a negative gradient - i.e. sometimes they take theta to be obtuse and sometimes they take it to be accute, and the same for alpha.
    How do you know whether theta/alpha is accute or obtuse, or when to use negative theta/alpha on your diagram?

Sorry I know I havent explained it very well but can anyone help?
    What the book is basically saying is:

let  arg(z - 3i) = \theta and  arg(z - 5) = \phi

now if you try to draw it such that  \theta - \phi = \frac{\pi}{4} you will see it wont be possible, as  \phi > \theta (so the angle made by the two half lines will never be pi/4) hence let  arg(z - 3i) = -\theta and  arg(z - 5) = -\phi (then  -\theta - (-\phi) = \frac{\pi}{4} which works as  \phi > \theta ) then you will see that it works, just draw it so that the angle made by the half lines is pi/4 and you will see how it works

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.