Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'm confused. And this might be the wrong place to post this.

Anyways. I'm really confused as to pick up Law at Birmingham/Warwick (offers at both) or take a gap year and reapply to the LSE for Government and Social Policy. They only ask for ABB (and C at GCSE Maths) and I know people with no As at GCSE and AS and Ds at GCSE and AS who got in...so I'll be a likely candidate, but is it worth it?

I'm really interested in both Law and Politics. I've been warned that the UK LLB is dry and unrewarding. Also, the LSE has such a fantastic repuation. I understand that both Birmingham and Warwick are top as well, but the LSE has a Wow factor only surpassed by Oxbridge in the UK. In some places, it's almost equal.

My question is, what is more prestigious and respected? Russel group Law or LSE Gov and Social Policy?
    Which one has better career prospects?
    Would you reapply?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    ahhh useless forum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heydaren)
    ahhh useless forum!

Maybe give it more than 10 minutes before giving up at waiting for a response? It is Sunday evening after all....

Anyway, personally I think you're looking at this too narrowly if 'prestige' is such an important factor. How about thinking more along the lines of which course/subject you'd like to study more, and what is of more interest to you? You should be applying to uni to study something that you'd love to immerse yourself in for three years (especially at top 10/Russel Group standard unis), not just to have some branded badge next to your name for the rest of your life.

Law at Warwick is nothing to sniff at, by the way, if assessed by your own measure, i.e through the narrow scope of 'prestige' and career prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apt9)
    Maybe give it more than 10 minutes before giving up at waiting for a response? It is Sunday evening after all....

Anyway, personally I think you're looking at this too narrowly if 'prestige' is such an important factor. How about thinking more along the lines of which course/subject you'd like to study more, and what is of more interest to you? You should be applying to uni to study something that you'd love to immerse yourself in for three years (especially at top 10/Russel Group standard unis), not just to have some branded badge next to your name for the rest of your life.

Law at Warwick is nothing to sniff at, by the way, if assessed by your own measure, i.e through the narrow scope of 'prestige' and career prospects.
    It's gone an hour.

In the world of Law, prestige is very important. It's hard to get a good job if you didn't study at a top-uni, so I don't know why my question is so absurd. As I said, I enjoy both subjects but I've heard Law is dull at UK unis. I've never formally studied Law, so I wouldn't know.

And I'm going to be in debt, ofc I'm worried about if the degree I'm paying nine grand for is going to give me good job prospects.

Thank you for replying, I do appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Social policy with Government may not be the most competitive subject at LSE - I know, I want to apply for it. However, it still has an average of 10 students applying for the same place - with ABB probably not being the absolute offer.

Any Russel Group university is 'prestigious'. Choose whatever subject you enjoy the most and go for it!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.