Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am looking over a past ISA where we attached various masses to 2 strings, one adjusted to be horizontal and the other's angle measured against the vertical, once the system is in equilibrium. we were provided with 7 50g masses in order to vary the mass in 50g steps. However we were also provided with lever arm balance, which I measured the masses with, and wrote in my table the value from the lever arm balance and not the nominal value. so eq. perhaps a weight which was supposed to be 150g i wrote down as 149g. however, these have been circled by my teacher, was this incorrect or should i have written the nominal values in my independent variable column ie, 50g, 100g, 150g etc.?
    Thank you and i would appreciate a swift reply as i have a physics isa tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    He who asks for swift replies shalt not get swift replies

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MEPS1996)
    Hello, I am looking over a past ISA where we attached various masses to 2 strings, one adjusted to be horizontal and the other's angle measured against the vertical, once the system is in equilibrium. we were provided with 7 50g masses in order to vary the mass in 50g steps. However we were also provided with lever arm balance, which I measured the masses with, and wrote in my table the value from the lever arm balance and not the nominal value. so eq. perhaps a weight which was supposed to be 150g i wrote down as 149g. however, these have been circled by my teacher, was this incorrect or should i have written the nominal values in my independent variable column ie, 50g, 100g, 150g etc.?
    Thank you and i would appreciate a swift reply as i have a physics isa tomorrow.
    In my opinion you should have kept the independent variables, the masses, as they are given. You could state elsewhere that the actual value was slightly different or there was uncertainty/precision errors in the balance. The task probably stated to perform it in 50g incriments however if it didn't, just assume it did!

ReputationRep:
    Hello and thank you for your help Dominic sorry for the late reply.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.