Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Interesting concept... *cough cough*

It seems almost savage! :rolleyes: first the test, then the interview (with tests). Coupled with the angst and panic attacks, a potential oxbridge law candidate has to endure a fair amount before they even study! I'm starting uni in 2005 and so my year will be the first for the LNAT test! Although I think these tests are a generally good idea and provide a fairer indication of a candidates potential to study law, the extra stress couldn't be too healthy, or could it? Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Or_Kiaz)
    Interesting concept... *cough cough*

It seems almost savage! :rolleyes: first the test, then the interview (with tests). Coupled with the angst and panic attacks, a potential oxbridge law candidate has to endure a fair amount before they even study! I'm starting uni in 2005 and so my year will be the first for the LNAT test! Although I think these tests are a generally good idea and provide a fairer indication of a candidates potential to study law, the extra stress couldn't be too healthy, or could it? Any thoughts?
    I don't think the extra stress is going to be healthy, by any means. They do say that there isn't much you can do to prepare for the tests though, which isn't so bad.
    I do think that they're a good idea though, it's difficult to interview everyone now with so many people applying.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge would only use the LNAT as another factor to consider. I'm sure the relenting principles of amazing GCSE and A-level results combined with an intellectually stimulating interview would remain the key fundamental. Then again, who knows? The LNAT is the Law equivalent to STEP, although much easier. Anyone else having to take the LNAT?

ReputationRep:
    I will be. Do you know how/when we'll have to apply to do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amazing)
    I will be. Do you know how/when we'll have to apply to do it?
    The exams take place in November 2004. Any information regarding the test should be relased on the law faculty website on either Oxford or Cambridge. Over the next few months, or possibly even later than that, they'll release practice exams so u can get a feel for it. (lucky us eh?)

It's 2 hours long. First part is an 80 min multiple choice section. The second part is a 40 min essay question, where have to write an essay from a selection of essay titles.

It's all part of the fun!

ReputationRep:
    The exams take place in November 2004. Any information regarding the test should be relased on the law faculty website on either Oxford or Cambridge. Over the next few months, or possibly even later than that, they'll release practice exams so u can get a feel for it. (lucky us eh?)

It's 2 hours long. First part is and 80 mins multiple choice section. The second part is a 40 min essay question, and you have to write an essay from a selection of essay titles.

It's all part of the fun!
    Heh, I'm aware of the format of the test, I'm just wondering when we'll have to book up for it. I'm quite sure that the LNAT (or at least the multiple choice side of it) is extremely similar to the Critical Thinking A-level - I may harass my college's teacher in that department to see if I can get any advice.

The 5 or so example of multiple choice questions released when it was announced seemed easy enough anyway, although I'm not sure how well I'd perform with the essay question. Those sort of essays have always been the sort of thing I've been naturally good at - yet currently I'm performing worse in History (my only real essay based subject - I do Maths, Physics and Law too) than any of my other A-levels! That's definitely down to a lack of effort in learning the facts though, rather than any flaws in my essay writing technique. I think.

I imagine that a lot of the possible things we can write about for our essay will be broadly ethically based - there's little else that can be asked really without requiring a fair bit of specific knowledge, and ethics obviously play an important part in the law. I'm usually very good at writing ethic related arguments, although I'm not too sure how well I'd perform in exam conditions. I don't really fancy any unsettling abortion/extreme euthanasia/torture questions, no matter how well I may be able to convey my ideas on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm the complete opposite, 3 of my 4 AS levels are essay based so the amusment never ends. I do History, English Lit, French and Maths. I may seem like a freak but I like essays It's definately history that's made sure of that. What exam board are you with?

I agree about the nature of the essay being ethically based. Although I find it irrelevant to write an essay arguing a point just to do well on an aptitude test (oh the irony). I think my 6th form is less informed about the LNAT than other colleges/6th forms. I didn't know they released questions! Do you happen to have a link or information regarding their whereabouts?

ReputationRep:
    I tried to post a link to a sample LNAT paper from the education guardian website, but my computer won't let me. If anyone's interested, go to http://www.education.guardian.co.uk, search for 'LNAT', click on the 15th November article 'Top Universities in Talks Over Law Admissions Test' and go to the bottom of the article where there's a link to a sample paper.

All I can say is I'm really glad I don't have to do it!

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm the complete opposite, 3 of my 4 AS levels are essay based so the amusment never ends. I do History, English Lit, French and Maths. I may seem like a freak but I like essays It's definately history that's made sure of that. What exam board are you with?

I agree about the nature of the essay being ethically based. Although I find it irrelevant to write an essay arguing a point just to do well on an aptitude test (oh the irony). I think my 6th form is less informed about the LNAT than other colleges/6th forms. I didn't know they released questions! Do you happen to have a link or information regarding their whereabouts?
    This is what I'm talking about; it has 5 example questions at the bottom. You might have already seen it.

I believe I'm with Edexcel for History. The 3 modules I'm sitting in June are based around the Russian Revolution, Stalin's Russia, and Britain around 1900-16.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I'm talking about; it has 5 example questions at the bottom. You might have already seen it.

I believe I'm with Edexcel for History. The 3 modules I'm sitting in June are based around the Russian Revolution, Stalin's Russia, and Britain around 1900-16.
    Quite similar then... I'm also doing Edexcel. In June I'll be sitting Reform Act Crises in 1832 Britain, The French Revolution, Stalin's Russia and Mussolini and Fascism. My c/w units are Lenin and Russia(Brest Litovsk and the Civil War) and Italy (Italy's entrance into the war). Are you doing your c/w at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Quite similar then... I'm also doing Edexcel. In June I'll be sitting Reform Act Crises in 1832 Britain, The French Revolution, Stalin's Russia and Mussolini and Fascism. My c/w units are Lenin and Russia(Brest Litovsk and the Civil War) and Italy (Italy's entrance into the war). Are you doing your c/w at the moment?
    No, we don't do coursework until next year for the A2. Which makes it sound suspiciously like I have my exam boards muddled.

You don't happen to have MEI for Maths do you? They deal only with maths and I understand that they're some offshoot of a regular exam board; I'm not sure which though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Here's a sample LNAT paper from the education guardian website
    http://image.guardian.co.uk/sysfiles...11/14/test.pdf

All i can say is i'm really glad i don't have to do it!
    Thanks. I'll have a go at a few before I enjoy the land of dreams.

ReputationRep:
    No, we don't do coursework until next year for the A2. Which makes it sound suspiciously like I have my exam boards muddled.

You don't happen to have MEI for Maths do you? They deal only with maths and I understand that they're some offshoot of a regular exam board; I'm not sure which though.
    MEI? I also do Edexcel for Maths. I've never heared of them. I take it the modules are similar though? P1,S1,M1 etc.

ReputationRep:
    MEI? I also do Edexcel for Maths. I've never heared of them. I take it the modules are similar though? P1,S1,M1 etc.
    Yeah. I think our P3 is quite a bit harder than yours, but our earlier Pure module might be a bit easier. Mechanics is a bit tricky at times though.

ReputationRep:
    After looking at some of the sample questions put on the website posted, I start to doubt my own judgement and am often left deciding between two answers. Looking at the sample questions my response for each part would be as follows:

1) b/c
    2) a
    3) b
    4) d
    5) a

Unfortunately answers are not given for these questions and so I'm not sure how well I've done. What answers did anyone else get?

ReputationRep:
    Well said Amazing.....you're right....the LNAT questions are almost exactly like the Critical thinking questions...and the idea of the test normally is that you can immediately discount say 3 of the 5 choices...and the last two are often hard to distinguish between.

Having done AS- critical thinking though...i have to say...if you know how to answer those types of questions...you soon get used to it and should find the majority of these questions straightfoward.

If you want to know more about the Crit thinking AS..i'll do my best to answer any questions.

G

ReputationRep:
    After looking at some of the sample questions put on the website posted, I start to doubt my own judgement and am often left deciding between two answers. Looking at the sample questions my response for each part would be as follows:

1) b/c
    2) a
    3) b
    4) d
    5) a

Unfortunately answers are not given for these questions and so I'm not sure how well I've done. What answers did anyone else get?
    I got as following:

1) c
    2) d
    3) b
    4) d
    5) a

So more or less the same as you...just got a different answer for question 2 and gave a definite answer for 1...well done on the last two though....the language in that passage is a lot trickier than the ones i've seen previously....not the most straightfoward...

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I got as following:

1) c
    2) d
    3) b
    4) d
    5) a

So more or less the same as you...just got a different answer for question 2 and gave a definite answer for 1...well done on the last two though....the language in that passage is a lot trickier than the ones i've seen previously....not the most straightfoward...

G
    Its good to see the similarities. Personally I found the second passage easier :confused:

Anyone else get anything different?

ReputationRep:
    Its good to see the similarities. Personally I found the second passage easier :confused:
    Really?? I found the first passage easier because the passage seemed to be easier to follow..whereas the second one i thought was more complex. Maybe it's because i'm used to those kind of question...ie. underlying assumptions...etc.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Really?? I found the first passage easier because the passage seemed to be easier to follow..whereas the second one i thought was more complex. Maybe it's because i'm used to those kind of question...ie. underlying assumptions...etc.

G
    I understand what you mean, but with the first passage i could find more than I wanted. Hence me choosing b or c for question 1. Both applied, and I could argue each one, C more as it is "unarticulated" but B can still be argued. Or am I just over analysing things?

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.