LNAT... mmmmm yummy! Watch

This discussion is closed.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Or_Kiaz)
I understand what you mean, but with the first passage i could find more than I wanted. Hence me choosing b or c for question 1. Both applied, and I could argue each one, C more as it is "unarticulated" but B can still be argued. Or am I just over analysing things?
The thing with question one is that with b (imprisoning the mentally ill is shameful), they actually say that in the passage in the second sentence, " This is shameful"...hence it's not an assumption....

With C, they don't say it....but if it weren't true...the argument would fall apart so it must be an unarticulated assumption.

Hope this helps.

G
Or_Kiaz
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
The thing with question one is that with b (imprisoning the mentally ill is shameful), they actually say that in the passage in the second sentence, " This is shameful"...hence it's not an assumption....

With C, they don't say it....but if it weren't true...the argument would fall apart so it must be an unarticulated assumption.

Hope this helps.

G
Ok thanks Gzftan, will you be taking the LNAT test? Or just something to pass the time lol
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ok thanks Gzftan, will you be taking the LNAT test? Or just something to pass the time lol
Lol! No..i'm lucky....i miss it cos i applied this year...but i did Critical thinking AS...and i know loads of people ****ged it off as being a worthless AS level...but obviously it's not so worthless cos the top unis seem to think it teaches good skills, as shown by the LNAT!!!

If you want a book....i could recommend a good book on critical thinking...got me an A in AS CT.

G
Or_Kiaz
Lol! No..i'm lucky....i miss it cos i applied this year...but i did Critical thinking AS...and i know loads of people ****ged it off as being a worthless AS level...but obviously it's not so worthless cos the top unis seem to think it teaches good skills, as shown by the LNAT!!!

If you want a book....i could recommend a good book on critical thinking...got me an A in AS CT.

G
Yeah, that would be great Casual summer read well has to be done. Did you apply to Oxbridge? Which course?
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, that would be great Casual summer read well has to be done. Did you apply to Oxbridge? Which course?
I applied to Cambridge (Gonville & Caius) for law (BA)....and i now need to get 3As to make it there!!! I'm soooooo lucky!! I have no idea how i got in!!

The book is called:

Critical Thinking for Students by Roy van den Brink-Budgen

I have the 3rd edition...and i found it quite interesting actually!! It's not a hard read at all!!

Have you thought about where to apply yet??

G
Or_Kiaz
Have you thought about where to apply yet??
G
Well I'm going to apply to Cambridge for entry in 2005, and if I get in, I'm going to apply for the Double Maîtrise law course. I'm thinking about Downing or St Johns, but still not sure as of yet. Any advice?
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well I'm going to apply to Cambridge for entry in 2005, and if I get in, I'm going to apply for the Double Maîtrise law course. I'm thinking about Downing or St Johns, but still not sure as of yet. Any advice?
I personally would go for Downing....it has a great reputation for law..not to mention being a really beautiful college!!! But you should really choose on which one you prefer....visit both...and then choose....cos the teaching standard in cambridge colleges is going to be the same as lectures are on a university level...so its just the supervisions which are different.

I chose Caius because its got a good location...it's one of the larger colleges in Cambridge...and its got really nice buildings!!

Also...i based part of my choice on the fact that they didn't want any essays or tests taken...just an interview!!!

G
EuroAmeriAzn
Report 15 years ago
I really am lucky to be born a year earlier. Thank goodness I don't have to do the LNAT's. Otherwise, I don't know how I would have fared against next year's crop of applicants.

Although, when I think about it, the Law written test in December 2003 had 16 multiple choice questions and an essay. Afterwards, everyone said the multiple choice was hard, but I thought it was pretty easy actually. Maybe that's why I got accepted, heh.
hellokitty2
Report 15 years ago
guys,

I don't know where that sample question came from...my guess is that they pulled that from an american test such as the LSAT. I spoke to a couple of law admissions officers at participating unis and they said that the company hasn't even been appointed yet... apparently examples will come out in due course. A friend from college who's apply for law like me has pulled together an open forum (no registration needed) and the plan is have a group disect the practice test when it comes out. We're going to try and keep chit chat to a minimum.

Also it would be good to share test results after it is all over and compare with admissions results to see how much weighting they gave it...if you are into post-mortems that is!

http://www.getfreeforum.com/forums/?mforum=LNAT

that is the link...
muncrun
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Coupled with the angst and panic attacks, a potential oxbridge law candidate has to endure a fair amount before they even study!
One objective of the test must be to see how a student copes under this extra pressure. If you can't handle a test and an interview, I think you'll struggle to make the cut at law school and in your career.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (32)
17.88%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (27)
15.08%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (39)
21.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (65)
36.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (6)
3.35%
No particular grades needed (10)
5.59%