Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billybo_h)
    In recent memory, and certainly from a Chelsea view point, Gullit was the same player. Starting as a striker, and then with age and experience, moving back until ending his career with us as a CB/DM - usually played as a sweeper/libero due to his excellent reading of the game. This is what Luiz can do; rather than forcing him to act rashly in actually tackling players, he could be taught (although he can already do it rather well) to practise the stepping in and interception (a la older Paolo Maldini). It is also who Ake seems to have taken after (apropos his appearance as well). Try to watch some Koeman/Baresi/Sammer as well as they really mastered the role.

Beckenbauer though. What a truly a class player, he defined the attacking libero role. No wonder they nicknamed him Der Kaiser.
    Good post man. I've already watched a bit of Baresi. Like you said, he was a master of the role as well. Defo one of the best defenders of all time as well. His defensive intelligence was outstanding.

I've always wanted to watch some Koeman. I will do in the future along with Sammer.

ReputationRep:
    In recent memory, and certainly from a Chelsea view point, Gullit was the same player. Starting as a striker, and then with age and experience, moving back until ending his career with us as a CB/DM - usually played as a sweeper/libero due to his excellent reading of the game. This is what Luiz can do; rather than forcing him to act rashly in actually tackling players, he could be taught (although he can already do it rather well) to practise the stepping in and interception (a la older Paolo Maldini). It is also who Ake seems to have taken after (apropos his appearance as well). Try to watch some Koeman/Baresi/Sammer as well as they really mastered the role.

Beckenbauer though. What a truly a class player, he defined the attacking libero role. No wonder they nicknamed him Der Kaiser.
    In addition to my post above, did you watch the world cup final in 1994? Baresi produced one of the best defensive displays I've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    In addition to my post above, did you watch the world cup final in 1994? Baresi produced one of the best defensive displays I've ever seen.
    I haven't before, read about it though. Got injured in the first round against Norway, and missed every game until the final, which he captained as his last international game - the embodiment of desire. This video though - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x91...t#.UZASOhG9KSM - I know you cannot rate players off YouTube videos, but Luiz's game is just reappropriating the game that Baresi played. Some of his interceptions are direct copies.

The '88 Dutch team - Koeman, Rijkaard, van Basten, Gullit - is still my favourite group of players. They could all interchange with each other, with the exception of van Basten, but his pure striking ability meant they didn't need another striker; his doctor said of him, Marco always played football like a ballerina.

With our future of Luiz (as captain?)/Chalobah/Ake we have 3 interchangeable sweepers/DM who can control a game. Add in the interchangeable well documented attacking options, our midfield will be so fluid - it will be like the Dutch champions.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't before, read about it though. Got injured in the first round against Norway, and missed every game until the final, which he captained as his last international game - the embodiment of desire. This video though - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x91...t#.UZASOhG9KSM - I know you cannot rate players off YouTube videos, but Luiz's game is just reappropriating the game that Baresi played. Some of his interceptions are direct copies.

The '88 Dutch team - Koeman, Rijkaard, van Basten, Gullit - is still my favourite group of players. They could all interchange with each other, with the exception of van Basten, but his pure striking ability meant they didn't need another striker; his doctor said of him, Marco always played football like a ballerina.

With our future of Luiz (as captain?)/Chalobah/Ake we have 3 interchangeable sweepers/DM who can control a game. Add in the interchangeable well documented attacking options, our midfield will be so fluid - it will be like the Dutch champions.
    Good post again. I generally agree. Will watch the video later.

I particularly like the last paragraph. The future is so bright for Chelsea. Let's hope the management at Chelsea don't screw things up. If the players develop well and the right coach/manager is in charge, we could be witnessing a Chelsea team (some time in the future) that will go down as one of the best footballing sides of all time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm off soon to get some sleep. Have a good week everyone.

ReputationRep:
    QPR are unbelievably poor. How the **** did we not win against them this season...?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.gianlucadimarzio.com/calc...cio-ufficiale/ (Source in Italian)
    Falcao to AS Monaco is apparently a done deal bar an official statement. This is from the same guy who broke the Pep to Bayern story amongst others, so he's usually quite accurate. Lewandowski anyone?

https://twitter.com/transfernewscen/...67801631969281
    Also Courtois got the Zamora, given to the 'best' (ie. best goal to game ratio) keeper in La Liga.

ReputationRep:
    No great loss if Falcao goes to Monaco, just as long as he's not going to a serious club with serious ambitions. Cavani is just as good imo, and Lewandowski has a huge amount of potential. I'd choose Cavani if all three of them were the same price/wage demands personally, but of course that's not the case. No idea what the club will do, wouldn't be surprised if we don't go for any of them and bring in someone like Gomez as a cheap but clinical option...

ReputationRep:
    Might be getting Rooney for £20m. Personally I wouldn't mind him here, can play in midfield and striker. And he's the best English player there is.

Yes, he did have a poor season, but he had a great last season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    No great loss if Falcao goes to Monaco, just as long as he's not going to a serious club with serious ambitions. Cavani is just as good imo, and Lewandowski has a huge amount of potential. I'd choose Cavani if all three of them were the same price/wage demands personally, but of course that's not the case. No idea what the club will do, wouldn't be surprised if we don't go for any of them and bring in someone like Gomez as a cheap but clinical option...
    Yeah I agree, Monaco have just been promoted to Ligue 1 and have got themselves a Russian billionaire, and if they're bringing in a player like Falcao now they'll probably be in the CL come the 14/15 season.

Although getting Falcao would be amazing, I really don't think we should be dropping another ~£50m on a striker so soon after this whole Torres affair, the same goes for Cavani. IMO next season we should be putting in a decent challenge for the title, and whilst I don't want to take anything away from Lukaku, with United, City and Arsenal all looking to spend big over the summer I have a feeling he might not quite cut the mustard as our first choice striker, at least not yet. I think Lewandowski or Gomez would be exactly what we need, without breaking the bank. If we can offload Torres, or perhaps Ba, making Lukaku our 2nd choice striker with a mind to play him as regularly as possible in addition to Lewandowski/Gomez, I think we'd stand an excellent chance of winning the league. If not, I don't want to see Lukaku here and behind Ba/Torres in the pecking order. There was talk of Swansea wanting Lukaku on loan, which I don't think would be a bad option, he'd grab some European experience too.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the feeling of it personally. Prefer if we stay away from Rooney.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    No great loss if Falcao goes to Monaco, just as long as he's not going to a serious club with serious ambitions.
    And AS Monaco will no longer benefit from tax exemption due to a recent ruling by the French Football Federation as AS Monaco have been instructed that their headquarters will need to be moved to France in order to play in the French league. I'm a tad surprised how long AS Monaco have been allowed to be exempt from taxes given the high amount of tax above £1m, which is set to 75%, that France have been operating with. I have no idea if this has been influenced, directly or indirectly, with the FFP directive from UEFA.

ReputationRep:
    If we get rooney for 20m that's a steal. But otherwise we can go for lewandowski for the same price who's younger and has been playing in the no.9 position for much longer/recently. Reckon he's just as good as van persie or a bit below.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting news from paris...

PSG have turned down a Madrid approach to Carlo Ancelotti!!

José evidently is on his way out...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    Yeah I agree, Monaco have just been promoted to Ligue 1 and have got themselves a Russian billionaire, and if they're bringing in a player like Falcao now they'll probably be in the CL come the 14/15 season.

Although getting Falcao would be amazing, I really don't think we should be dropping another ~£50m on a striker so soon after this whole Torres affair, the same goes for Cavani. IMO next season we should be putting in a decent challenge for the title, and whilst I don't want to take anything away from Lukaku, with United, City and Arsenal all looking to spend big over the summer I have a feeling he might not quite cut the mustard as our first choice striker, at least not yet. I think Lewandowski or Gomez would be exactly what we need, without breaking the bank. If we can offload Torres, or perhaps Ba, making Lukaku our 2nd choice striker with a mind to play him as regularly as possible in addition to Lewandowski/Gomez, I think we'd stand an excellent chance of winning the league. If not, I don't want to see Lukaku here and behind Ba/Torres in the pecking order. There was talk of Swansea wanting Lukaku on loan, which I don't think would be a bad option, he'd grab some European experience too.
    Lukaku should be first choice. There is no way he should be behind Ba and Torres. He has scored fourteen league goals in a very average side: double that which Torres has scored, and only one less than Ba, who has been at a top-four challenging side since January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Lukaku should be first choice. There is no way he should be behind Ba and Torres. He has scored fourteen league goals in a very average side: double that which Torres has scored, and only one less than Ba, who has been at a top-four challenging side since January.
    Of course, although we seem to love making bizarre decisions. If we bring him back he's got to be above Ba and Torres in the pecking order, no question about that.

ReputationRep:
    What about Mario Gomez. Not sure if I'd prefer him over Falcao or even Lewandoski considering the seasons they've had, but I'd much rather have him than Cavani.

£50 million for Falcao is too much though-particualry when he's almost 29.

Isn't Falcao's agent (Jorge Mendes) the same as Mourinho's though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    What about Mario Gomez. Not sure if I'd prefer him over Falcao or even Lewandoski considering the seasons they've had, but I'd much rather have him than Cavani.

He's only just turned 27 :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I read earlier he was nearly 29. My bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)

Falcao is going to AS Monaco, all but officially announced apparently.

Lewandowski would obviously be the best option. Although I think Gomez would be excellent, he would also be a lot cheaper than the (if the rumours were true) £50m we were prepared to drop on Falcao, he's 27 so could be phased out for Lukaku as our first choice striker in a few years and he scored 45 goals in 61 competitions last season. This season he's been injured, and Mandzukic has been in excellent form so he hasn't played as much for Bayern.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.