Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I don't understand this
    Nigel Mansell won the Formula 1 championship and then, the following year, won the Indy Car championship whilst Formula 1 champion. We win the Europa League whilst still Champions League holders. Formula 1 is generally considered the pinnacle of motor racing and ahead of Indy Car quality, or was back then from my understanding, and the same is said between the Champions League and the Europa League. In both instances they are the first to have done this and Nigel Mansell still holds the record. Used to watch a fair bit of F1 when Prost, Senna, Hill, Mansell etc were around.

ReputationRep:
    Kudos to Benitez for an impressive show of modesty in his celebrations; very professional of him (unlike his pissy rant up at Middlesbrough)

Great to see all those plastic flags waving proudly! I do just wish Benitez had come out when he first arrived and apologized for things he'd said, not even actually apologized but gone for the typical politician non-apology "Things were said which shouldn't have been said". It's just the fact he's handled it as if he was in the right all along. One line and people would've got on with it a lot more.

Anyway, good result for the team. Was surprised Benitez didn't make any subs; Moses has done really well of late, particularly in the Europa League, and I thought he deserved a shot given Oscar was fairly anonymous and Ramires was on a mission to set a new record for fouls conceded without a booking.

Finally Torres has at last done it on the biggest of all occasions for us. 20 goals this season is a good achievement, but a fair number were against lesser teams or not in crucial matches. It's a slightly damning reality that one of his most significant was the late equaliser against Brentford in the cup. But he's done it and stepped into Drogba's Cup Final boots nicely.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to say first and foremost, commiserations for benfica. They worked so hard, played some beautiful football and are pretty humble compared to bayern. It felt good seeing schweinsteigger cry last season but I felt bad watching luisao on the floor at the final whistle. They're a good club, with a good manager and play some very aesthetically pleasing football, they can hold their heads high during the run but they faced a team that has character and can grind results out in the darkest of situations. Hopefully they sign off next season with a trophy.

Bar that. We know what we are, we know what we are, champions of europe, we know what we are.

(Original post by Eboracum)
    Fantastic. I offer my sincere Congratulations to Chelsea Football Club.

I'd like to ask Jam what he thinks about the reactions to Benitez? Quite simply, I find it an absolute disgrace for people to be on Radio Five criticising Rafa. I mean how can you sign 'We don't care about Rafa' after he's just won you the European Cup?

Great manager. Great season for Chelsea. Rafa has the potential to be just a good as Mourinho. He should stay.
    Na he shouldn't stay, because of the animosity towards him.
    Look we're coming 3rd with the third best team and won the europa league with the best team in the competition. Said it before and will say it again even though benfica gave us a tough match(like I said they would) I knew we'd win. I pretty much explained to my friends during the match that we'd ride it out and get the win even when we were being dominated, this followed the exact same pattern as the 2-1 at the bridge and the 1-0 they play great attacking football but against a side who can actually defend their walk ball into the net tactic doesn't work even if it looks easy on the eye.

And with benitez, he seems to be one step behind mourinho. He wins the europa league the season after jose wins it, he wins the CL the season after jose wins it, he manages inter after jose does and he's managed chelsea and is a potential candidate for the real madrid job. He's a good manager but not the greatest. If he had a season I wouldn't complain too much as long as he shows the door to the likes of marin, benayoun etc. and get some real quality depth in the squad.

(Original post by Musester)
    I'm happy for Rafa because he's done a better job than I thought he would. But some other clubs fans singing his praises clearly don't realise that some of his subs and tacitical decisions have cost us results against teams like Southampton/Brentford/Rubin Kazan/Manchester City and Steau Bucharest.

He's done a great professional job, but he's not a messiah.
    Rubin well he wanted to give a youngster his debut and we were in the driving seat. Anyway tbh with our team he's done what's required. Nothing more nothing less.

(Original post by Isometrix)
    I'm glad other people have seen the limitations of Ramires, and why he can't be starting for us week in, week out.
    This is why I'm saying we should buy arjen robben. Anyway looking forward to the super cup I hope we face bayern with a top winger or two next season we will be on their level I think. Luiz needs a bit more time like preseason to get used to the DM role and I'm glad lampard is staying. We need one more signing in DM like matic/moutinho who can drive the ball in midfield.

Anyway my final evaluation of this season is, turbulent but in the end made the most of a very precarious situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tc92)
    Kudos to Benitez for an impressive show of modesty in his celebrations; very professional of him (unlike his pissy rant up at Middlesbrough)

Great to see all those plastic flags waving proudly! I do just wish Benitez had come out when he first arrived and apologized for things he'd said, not even actually apologized but gone for the typical politician non-apology "Things were said which shouldn't have been said". It's just the fact he's handled it as if he was in the right all along. One line and people would've got on with it a lot more.

Anyway, good result for the team. Was surprised Benitez didn't make any subs; Moses has done really well of late, particularly in the Europa League, and I thought he deserved a shot given Oscar was fairly anonymous and Ramires was on a mission to set a new record for fouls conceded without a booking.

Finally Torres has at last done it on the biggest of all occasions for us. 20 goals this season is a good achievement, but a fair number were against lesser teams or not in crucial matches. It's a slightly damning reality that one of his most significant was the late equaliser against Brentford in the cup. But he's done it and stepped into Drogba's Cup Final boots nicely.
    Well done to torres, he did very very well today, possibly one of his best games, when things weren't going well he still tried his hardest to hold the ball, was a very well taken goal too.

(Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Such a great achievement to win the CL and the EL, got to congratulate the team, Chelsea do have winners mentality all over unlike other London clubs at the moment!

John Terry what an idiot though :lol:

Benitez has done a great job, whatever you think about him tactically at times, he has done a great job to getting Chelsea the EL and top 4. Key moment was when he criticised the fans, telling them to get behind the team. Big moment, and he made the right call as after that Chelsea have been unstoppable! Would like to see Benitez at Man City with money to spend, not that it looks likely...
    Benitez does deserve a good job where he's allowed either money to spend or a project he can build. He's obviously good in the cups, 2 finals and 2 semi finals shows how good he is but in the league he's left wanting which stretches back to his liverpool days. His title win for valencia was pretty reminiscent to that of city's last season with madrid losing like 3 of their last 5 games for valencia to win the title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Jesus don't know how you Chelsea fans survive how intense your games are. I almost had a heart attack
    If you were in liverpool you'd have seen me fist pumping when we scored. Game gave me bronze hairs(yes my hair turns bronze when I'm stressed) so stressful but I knew it'd be like this. Told my mates this. Anyway onwards and upwards for the chels. Always thought we'd win this competition tbh and tbh I'm just happy spurs were knocked out while it would have been a great all london EL final(one of the greats in fact) I couldn't handle the stress. I would have been happy seeing spurs lift the trophy though after having such a good season at least if they didn't make fourth they have some leverage over arsenal.

(Original post by mattmejevie)
    A reasonable and educated Liverpool fan? What is the world coming to?! aha all jokes aside I agree as a Chelsea fan I cannot see why most of the other Chelsea fans are moaning at him. Yeah he said some things in a press conference but to be fair it is only natural, and as far as I am concerned he has done a great job at the club with the huge amounts of games his squad rotation has been exceptional. These are my opinions anyway...
    He's come 3rd with the 3rd best squad in the league by an immesurable distance and won the europa league with the best team in the competition by quite a distance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    SO if you guys win EL, you're still champions of europe in your eyes?
    We can still sing the song for another year, and if we win the supercup against bayern (most likely winner) we can say it for another season, oh and pep G will still have his record that he can't beat chelsea for **** :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Are there not going to be any mentions of the ref in absolutely killing the game through the number of tackles he blew up for. Thought it never let any team really get into a rhythm, and, ultimately, resorted to a pretty scrappy match.

Not much to say about Benfica; they impressed me at certain periods, and they certainly are adroit at keeping pressure on, but I thought they weren't the most sporting of teams. Our entire team was being thrown around by theirs.

Other than that; we are Champions - not much more you can ask for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billybo_h)
    Are there not going to be any mentions of the ref in absolutely killing the game through the number of tackles he blew up for. Thought it never let any team really get into a rhythm, and, ultimately, resorted to a pretty scrappy match.
    No. The players should've stopped fouling all over the place. Ramires was annoying with his fouls and then going to the ground easily and looking at the ref expecting to get a free kick. Matic was another one with needless fouls,don't know how he didn't get a yellow. There were 1 or 2 given which were a bit soft but the rest were just clear fouls

ReputationRep:
    lol Musester has been banned once again... I assume for the comments he always makes in the Arsenal thread but even then I don't think that's bad considering what they all say with regards to Chelsea.

Don't really give a **** anymore now though -- it's become routine to bash Chelsea every time the club achieves success or seems to be on the road to it. No matter the arguments it's all the same. Although I admire you guys trying (jam/multitalented and KingMessi in the past).

"But the Europa league is hardly success - not sure why you're think it's an achievement. I would hate if a club like Arsenal won a competition like that. It's almost sad winning such a pointless competition. Unlike them though, we can sell out the cup final games with ease" Yap yap yap... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Arsenal should try the Europa league since they're not gonna win the Champions league? Bet they would brag about it if they won it

ReputationRep:
    Haha probably.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Arsenal should try the Europa league since they're not gonna win the Champions league? Bet they would brag about it if they won it
    Arsenal will take what they can get, it was a long time ago when they last won anything.

Overall I'm very pleased with how this season has panned out. It was looking very unlikely at one stage that we'd make top 4 and any silverware this season was a huge doubt. At first I didn't want Rafa because of his previous records for destroying clubs, but he's managed to turn our season around and I am sad to see him leave us now. It's been a very long season and yet again Chelsea are representing English football by performing well in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know where I can watch extended highlights of the game last night?

ReputationRep:
    Lampard signing is official; one year extension.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-articl.../lampard-signs

ReputationRep:
    Beating Benfica, Rubin Karzan, FC Basel, Sparta Prague and Steau Bucharest after being dumped out of the CL by Shakhtar Donetsk is loads to brag about.

Middlesbrough, Fulham and Celtic all came close in recent years so its good that Chelsea went one further and brought back such a prestigious trophy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Beating Benfica, Rubin Karzan, FC Basel, Sparta Prague and Steau Bucharest after being dumped out of the CL by Shakhtar Donetsk is loads to brag about.

Middlesbrough, Fulham and Celtic all came close in recent years so its good that Chelsea went one further and brought back such a prestigious trophy.
    Saw that you had replied to this thread and predicted this post pretty much word-for-word :lol:

I hate Chelsea to the core, but man, can't sniff at a trophy. Nothing beats the feeling of seeing your captain lift the silverware, whatever it may be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)

Its a trophy never the less. Why should Chelsea have discarded it and viewed it as nothing.?

Reason why its lost some of its prestige is because people have that attitude. Lets just play our youngsters, don't give a crap about EL. I applaud Chelsea for winning it. Its a trophy at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    Lampaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd !!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    Lampaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Finally the right thing happened

ReputationRep:
    THANK GOD FOR THIS . Never been happier that Lamps has a new contract !!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.