Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Courtois saved it...............
    i can't take anything away from the goalkeeper - it was an amazing save but Ozil (or any other world class player) should not miss from that distance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yeah same here tbh. I didn't mind, but I was just annoyed with his tactics. Lampard plays but he's been phased out a little by benitez rotating, same thing goes for terry although he's been phased out much more and it's not really costed us that much.

Personally think rafa will get and should get the madrid job.
    benitez is the man for real madrid. he's the one that can win them their tenth European cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmetk)
    i can't take anything away from the goalkeeper - it was an amazing save but Ozil (or any other world class player) should not miss from that distance.
    tbh you wouldn't expect a save like that (and it doesnt count as a 'miss')

ReputationRep:
    Rumours that Moutinho's linked with Monaco too
    Moutinho. Well this reminds me of the pastore thing. He would have surely been an interesting signing for us.[/QUOTE]

Surely Abramovich can win this one though?! He's a fair bit richer than the owner of Monaco... one can only hope...

Edit: not sure what happen with the quotes here, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Surely Abramovich can win this one though?! He's a fair bit richer than the owner of Monaco... one can only hope...

Edit: not sure what happen with the quotes here, lol.
    Fixed :lol:
    Yeah, but we haven't even got a new manager yet before we can even talk about signings. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Fixed :lol:
    Yeah, but we haven't even got a new manager yet before we can even talk about signings. :lol:
    Tbf you guys don't need many players, reckon Lukaku, Ba, Torres would be a decent attack especially with Hazard, Mata and Oscar behind them who will be a season wiser in the PL, especially Hazard and Oscar who's first season in England it was. Luiz at DM looks decent, Lamps and Ramires there are pretty good and you could maybe do with another one for depth. Cahill, Ivanovic, Terry are decent CB's as a 3, Ivanovic is probably best of the 3 atm imo, you might buy one more, and Azpiluceuata (cannot spell that at all :lol:) is decent, reckon you might buy if somebody becomes available. However even with the squad you have now if Jose returns to PL i would definitely make you favourites for the league next year, especially with new managers at City and us with Moysey. Heck if Arsenal get a bit more consistent I can see them challenging even.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Tbf you guys don't need many players, reckon Lukaku, Ba, Torres would be a decent attack especially with Hazard, Mata and Oscar behind them who will be a season wiser in the PL, especially Hazard and Oscar who's first season in England it was. Luiz at DM looks decent, Lamps and Ramires there are pretty good and you could maybe do with another one for depth. Cahill, Ivanovic, Terry are decent CB's as a 3, Ivanovic is probably best of the 3 atm imo, you might buy one more, and Azpiluceuata (cannot spell that at all :lol:) is decent, reckon you might buy if somebody becomes available. However even with the squad you have now if Jose returns to PL i would definitely make you favourites for the league next year, especially with new managers at City and us with Moysey. Heck if Arsenal get a bit more consistent I can see them challenging even.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm really liking how next season is panning out tbh. I always thought we'd be favourites for the league next year. I'm hoping that spurs put in a big challenge too but they lack the attacking depth. Seems like there's gonna be a breakaway between top 6 and the rest of the league. Liverpool will be about under the CL places like the tottenham team under jol or villa under O'neill.

Ramires isn't good enough to be a starter imo. (see what I say about him in the thread and you'll get what I mean) He seems to pop up with the important goal however, so he's a very weird guy. You can't bench him, and you can't start him.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really liking how next season is panning out tbh. I always thought we'd be favourites for the league next year. I'm hoping that spurs put in a big challenge too but they lack the attacking depth. Seems like there's gonna be a breakaway between top 6 and the rest of the league. Liverpool will be about under the CL places like the tottenham team under jol or villa under O'neill.

Ramires isn't good enough to be a starter imo. (see what I say about him in the thread and you'll get what I mean) He seems to pop up with the important goal however, so he's a very weird guy. You can't bench him, and you can't start him.
    Yeah i know what you mean, too inconsistent. The standard of the league has massively improved tbh, love how all of the teams are using fairly young players as well- you guys in Hazard, Oscar etc. And us with Jones, Rafael, Cleverley. Next season I can see you winning double, can't see any English clubs catching Bayern and I don't sense another group-stage exit for you guys Although i would love it if Mourinho comes back and you guys **** over Madrid in CL final just so he can shut them up after the way they've treated him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or does anyone else think that Rami has been so overrated by fellow chelsea fans because of his Barca chip? Another thing I hear people say is that he has great stamina. Sure, he has great stamina, however I just don't think he's good enough to be starting ahead of Lampard, Luiz or Mikel. Not to mention, his rash challenges that he commits to far too often. Just me?

ReputationRep:

I don't think you'll win the title next year unless you bring in a top striker who fits into your system of play (not sure who that would be by the way). I think there have been times when I've seen, where you have looked like your struggling to finish attacking moves, maybe because of Torres. For me Ba doesn't necessarily solve that, Lukaka might. I cant remember the last time a team won the premiership without a real in form striker. I can't see Ba or Torres making the step up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pessimist)
    Is it just me or does anyone else think that Rami has been so overrated by fellow chelsea fans because of his Barca chip? Another thing I hear people say is that he has great stamina. Sure, he has great stamina, however I just don't think he's good enough to be starting ahead of Lampard, Luiz or Mikel. Not to mention, his rash challenges that he commits to far too often. Just me?
    No, it's not just you. A few of us have quite openly criticised him over the last few months. His ability as CM is extremely limited, and the one thing going for him is his stamina which is far better than most players on the team. Like you said, he's a walking yellow card, but additionally his crossing sucks, his long range shots suck, his ball retention sucks, and pretty much all other midfield attributes. He also has this strange belief that he can simply run through any line of defence unobstructed. He can be a very frustrating player to watch.

That said, his finishing can be quality sometimes. As you mentioned already with the Barca chip, but also the well taken goal on his left foot against Utd. And then there was this lovely goal worked goal against City:

So I guess when his Brazilian flair kicks in, he's capable of producing some sweet goals. But he cannot be relied on as a starting midfielder for us.

ReputationRep:
    It's been a year guys!

What a special ****ing evening that was. :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    ^Yep :moon:. Hoping for more to come!

CL was won on my birthday as well so it felt even better

ReputationRep:
    :moon:

I remember I was working in the library that night as it was a few days before my exams. So I had to stream it on my laptop with headphones plugged in. Literally had to suppress my screaming when Didier scored. Ran outside and let it allll out. I was so pumped, got no work done after that :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Last game of the season today. Sad times.

Does anyone know if we can get Lukaku back to play against City in America, or is that not possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Last game of the season today. Sad times.

Does anyone know if we can get Lukaku back to play against City in America, or is that not possible?
    Steve Clarke said in an interview that he's contracted to West Brom until June (I assume he'll return 1st July), so no, not possible.

ReputationRep:
    I was on the verge of tears and started hugging random chelsea fans in the pub.

ReputationRep:
    I missed a (first-year) uni exam to go to Munich. 100% worth it. Incredible night that'll live long in the memory.

ReputationRep:
    This has been aweird day.

There's also arsenal here in history which we already explained about, matter of fact is that most teams have had external funding at some point of their history, so to deride a team for having external funding is entirely hypocritical.
    Quite long essay ahead so I'll spoiler it:

Spoiler:
    Show
    It is hypocritical but you'll find a lot of that outside of football,probably more if you're interested in social philosophical topics.

I'm guessing clubs who have resorted to external funding in the past haven't been explored much because financial information on clubs wasn't really talked about until Sunderland became to known as the Bank of England club in the 1950s. And, as you can tell, that nickname isn't accurate because it suggests the Bank of England is like a high street bank, which it isn't. So digging up historical information on clubs can be a bit ofa grind I guess and, even then, the focus on clubs tends to be at thetop division of England or another European that has a high qualit yleague based on UEFA co-efficients, whether it's clubs' finances or the behaviour of football players.

With the tribalism that some fans have, regardless of who they support, this just further adds to the problem. For example, you're going to get more fans hating John Terry for his misdemeanours than say, Ched Evans, a convicted rapist. And that was a Championship footballer playing for Sheffield Utd at the time and they're not exactly a barely known club considering they used to play in the Premier League for a while. I remember making a thread on Luke McCormick, a convicted killer (vehicular homicide)and, while I did not word it too well as I rushed it, I had some suggestive evidence that people would rather hate on, for example ElHadji-Diof, than Luke McCormick. I suppose it's just like this big club debate that football fans have. It's just an excuse to bash another person's choice of club support and often it is used to perpetuate elitism as I saw by a Man City fan recently.

I guess sometimes it's people's refusal to research into this area and just join a bandwagon/circle jerk as I've experienced this with a computer game with some players' perceptions on how guns and other equipment are supposed to work. The amount of people who don't understand Newtonian mechanics is astonishing. There are issues with the lack of information on club finances but that has been steadily changing over time. However, I have noticed that some fans do look at the perceived merit on club owners' wealth. I have nothing against this in principle but I've only seen selective use of it. For example, some football fans criticise RA'swealth on the grounds of abusing a country's resources to the detriment of its population. But then many no doubt would happily turn a blind eye to the manufacturing of kits from other teams that use child/slave labour in sweatshop conditions? Or what about Arab investors and sponsors for other football teams? The Arab countries are probably just as plutocratic in the distribution of wealth than Russia, if not moreso. One of the reason why the Arab Spring broke out was because of constant neofuedalism and the citizens of each country used civil unrest to help make their lives better. But then if you're going to go down that route I assume a boycott is required because Barclays have invested in indiscriminate weapons such as cluster bombs. I'm guessing clubs benefit indirectly to whoever the sponsor is and we know how much the new Premier League deal is worth to clubs.

There is no point in having well-rounded discussions with on TSR, you are better off having intellectual debates with people in the pub at times. I deliberately replied to this late by the way.

I see that the Premier League decided that there's no London ground suitable for a potential play-off between ourselves and Arsenal. There's nothing wrong with White Hart Lane or Craven Cottage perhaps. Yeah, they're smaller but I'd rather it be in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tc92)
    I missed a (first-year) uni exam to go to Munich. 100% worth it. Incredible night that'll live long in the memory.
    Lol why would you do that? did you get to redo it?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.