Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Why? and by who? If Mourinho joins you guys shouldn't regress. its not like you guys need money as well

Only player who I think could be nicked is Courtois
    Right now I'm not really sure... but in a few years if he achieves world-class status I wouldn't be surprised one of the bigger clubs decides to take him... Idk, just a feeling. You're right about Mourinho, but I don't expect him to stay here for too long - unless he decides to become disinterested in changing clubs often and finally decides a long-term future at Chelsea :sogood: .

Yeah lol Courtois will probably be sold - unless Cech suffers a bad injury in the next 2 or so seasons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomatochuckers)
    Yes I did miss the point, I got three instead

:getmecoat:

AFC get a lot of stick from other clubs, pundits etc. so we have the right to give it back.
    I'm also pretty sure that all the users who troll other threads still post more on their own clubs page, in other words: they don't care more about other clubs than their own.
    A couple of forums are not representative of our fan base as you may know.
    And so what if we celebrate that we beat them to 4th. It's bragging rights but more importantly Champions League. Though I do admit, it's disappointing that 3rd or 4th is our target nowadays, rather than actually competing for the league.
    Next season will be determined on whether:
    1) Giroud or Podolski improve
    2) Koscielny and Mertesacker stay consistent
    3) Wilshere is not injured
    4) Who we buy in the transfer window
    Yeah of course. I'm not criticising Arsenal fans on here for celebrating, obviously to still qualify for CL year in year out despite sticking to a strict budget is an amazing achievement. My biggest gripe was the reaction to us winning the EL tbh, don't see why some of you take such issue with another clubs success :dontknow:.

I really hope Arsenal do make some quality signings over the summer, and I hope Wilshere gets over his injuries to live up to his potential, he stands the best chance of becoming world class out England's current generation of players IMO, with injuries being his main obstacle. If Chelsea/City/United/Arsenal all strengthen as they are supposedly going to then the only way is up for the EPL.

(Original post by Malevolent)
    Why? and by who? If Mourinho joins you guys shouldn't regress. its not like you guys need money as well

Only player who I think could be nicked is Courtois
    IIRC correctly he has a childhood dream of playing for Real, so if they came knocking I don't think we could stop him from leaving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    Yeah of course. I'm not criticising Arsenal fans on here for celebrating, obviously to still qualify for CL year in year out despite sticking to a strict budget is an amazing achievement. My biggest gripe was the reaction to us winning the EL tbh, don't see why some of you take such issue with another clubs success :dontknow:.

I really hope Arsenal do make some quality signings over the summer, and I hope Wilshere gets over his injuries to live up to his potential, he stands the best chance of becoming world class out England's current generation of players IMO, with injuries being his main obstacle. If Chelsea/City/United/Arsenal all strengthen as they are supposedly going to then the only way is up for the EPL.

IIRC correctly he has a childhood dream of playing for Real, so if they came knocking I don't think we could stop him from leaving.
    Casillas is roughly the same age as Cech so he'd have to play second fiddle (he's too good for that) at Madrid too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Casillas is roughly the same age as Cech so he'd have to play second fiddle (he's too good for that) at Madrid too.
    I was talking about Hazard Not sure how good he'd be in goal...

ReputationRep:
    What do we reckon ? reckon Mourinho is gonna come here ? would be pretty mint if he does , my only worry is that he is not a viable long-term option , just hope he can build up enough stability in the squad for self-sustenance when another manager comes in after him !

ReputationRep:
    Hoping to get tickets to that first match of the season next year, should be much easier for me to go to matches since I'll be at Uni right near London.

ReputationRep:
    Marko Marin's replacement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    Marko Marin's replacement?

Future chelsea legend. :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Awks for Fereira :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    So if Mourinho comes back I guess RA has given up on wanting to play attractive football or will Mourinho change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    So if Mourinho comes back I guess RA has given up on wanting to play attractive football or will Mourinho change?
    Will change, I think mourinho is a very adaptive manager in this regard, we'll see some more of the 1-0 park bus from back in the day but besides that mostly we'll play dominating attacking football. Like at real madrid. We have the players for it this time, rather than when we had a midfield of ballack, lampard, makalele and essien, they obviously don't sound like the most attractive playing players(despite their technical ability)

Mourinho
    Spoiler:
    Show
    has been very pragmatic at all his clubs, at inter and porto he clearly knew his players(while good) where less technical than their european counterparts so made sneijder the fulcrum of the team while the rest of the team ran around all game. I'm not too sure about porto haven't watched them in 04. One thing about mourinho is that while he'll buy big players, most of his big player buys are fairly unspectacular, if we looked at the players he bought(at inter e.g.) he bought sneijder(a man who didn't do great at madrid), and diego milito(a guy with a ridiculous scoring rate but was overlooked by every big team) and they basically won him a treble at inter, while thiago motta flopped at barca and came good at genoa.

We can look at madrid as well. Real are a very good example, in comparison to the previous year, where ronaldo, kaka, alonso, arbeloa, raul albiol and benzema were bought(all CL regulars at their clubs), mourinho bought khedira, pedro leon, mesut ozil and di maria the next season. While you would say that his signings worked out just as well as pellegrini's(bar ronaldo obviously) they seemed rather unspectacular at the time yet he made those players(bar pedro leon) the main part of the team.

Also, in response to the other post, we should have been given WHL if it came to a playoff, any premier league ground in london besides loftus road would have been fine imo.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Like you were saying, more people need to actually research on the finances of a club. Will look up on the 50s and sunderland. Also seemed that there was a lot of corruption in english football in the old days, or european football in general(uefa cup semi final nott vs anderlecht. arsenal's rise from div 2 to league champions etc, even united and liverpool corrupted games)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Like you were saying, more people need to actually research on the finances of a club. Will look up on the 50s and sunderland. Also seemed that there was a lot of corruption in english football in the old days, or european football in general(uefa cup semi final nott vs anderlecht. arsenal's rise from div 2 to league champions etc, even united and liverpool corrupted games)
    You could look into Rosenborg BK with their club conducting tax evasion, Rangers with EBTs that hasn't been legally concluded from what I know of, and Juventus, Fiorentina, Milan, Lazio and Reggina in the 2006 Calciopoli 'scandal'. Notice that white collar criminality is often described as being a scandal rather than a crime. You could argue that they served their punishment but the punishment differences between the clubs was made and Milan ended up being permitted to enter the CL and ended up winning it. So perhaps this is as bad as Portsmouth being allowed to keep their FA Cup despite being placed into administration for spending money they did not have during the time they 'won' the FA Cup. Yet, many of those who claim for financial clarity barely battered an eye lid during these teams' punishments.

As a side note, if you want to and since you're at university, you can always read up on Edwin Sutherland's work, 'White Collar Crime' published in 1983 by Yale University Press. The original was censored.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/tr...0860.bild.html

We've offered Mario Gomez a contract apparently. Article is lacking in details but Bild have good Bayern sources and are generally right when they say "xxxxx has happened".

Would like to see this. He's almost 28 so wouldn't impact massively on Lukaku's development, but wouldn't cost a ton like Falcao and is a proven goal scorer. Plus, Germans are all the rage at the moment.

Gomez/Lukaku/(Torres/Ba) would be an excellent choice of strikers for next season.

ReputationRep:
    Bild are still coasting on the fact they managed to get the Gotze story before everyone else. Nearly all their stories since have been crap.

Wouldn't trust the story. That and I don't like Gomez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Bild are still coasting on the fact they managed to get the Gotze story before everyone else. Nearly all their stories since have been crap.

Wouldn't trust the story. That and I don't like Gomez.
    I've got a German mate who says that Bild always cover themselves with these kinds of stories. When they say that a club is 'interested' in a player or some other non-definite statement then its as reliable as a DM story here. But often they'll come out with a 'this transfer is 100% happening' piece like they did with Gotze and in that case you can bet your bottom dollar its true. People didnt even question the Gotze story when it came out because of the way they worded it so Bild is mix of tabloid crap and genuine scoops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    I've got a German mate who says that Bild always cover themselves with these kinds of stories. When they say that a club is 'interested' in a player or some other non-definite statement then its as reliable as a DM story here. But often they'll come out with a 'this transfer is 100% happening' piece like they did with Gotze and in that case you can bet your bottom dollar its true. People didnt even question the Gotze story when it came out because of the way they worded it so Bild is mix of tabloid crap and genuine scoops.
    Yeah that's what I was going to say. Apparently they have good sources in Bayern too and have a good record when it comes to rumours involving Bayern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Nearly every independent German sports writes I watch on Twitter literally put Bild's story down is being BS. Everyone doubted it. And now they're coasting on that one story.

They also screwed up a story a couple weeks ago on a 'definite transfer' because they mistranslated it.

I just don't really trust them. That and I don't want it to be true anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Nearly every independent German sports writes I watch on Twitter literally put Bild's story down is being BS. Everyone doubted it. And now they're coasting on that one story.

They also screwed up a story a couple weeks ago on a 'definite transfer' because they mistranslated it.

I just don't really trust them. That and I don't want it to be true anyway.
    Yeah but look how people reacted wrt Gotze's transfer. No one doubted it for a second so every now and again they have genuine knowledge of deals.

ReputationRep:
    Silly to have a post-season tour of America now, bet the players can't wait to have some time off.

ReputationRep:
    https://vine.co/v/b9DWrUYL7jD

Cech just can't be bad at anything. He is both extremely likeable and extremely talented.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.