Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    What do we reckon ? reckon Mourinho is gonna come here ?
    Of course he is. It's as good as certain. I am generally happy about it, but I would be concerned that the way the side is currently set up is a million miles from the way Jose likes to work. He is defensively inclined and cannot be happy about the way we play at the moment.

Indeed, it looks like he's already planning to get rid of Luiz

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...rd-Bridge.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)

No attributed sources as per usual. The only journalist worth reading on there is Martin Samuel.

ReputationRep:
    I would never think about selling Luiz, not even if we were to get Varane instead. Anyway I think Luiz loves the club too much to even consider leaving.

ReputationRep:
    Luiz will become the captain sooner or later - he won't be leaving.

ReputationRep:

Mourinho was apparently after Luiz back in 2010 but we got there first. Plus Luiz has made excellent progress this season, seems pretty happy here and can play in a position which we are lacking in. Won't happen.

The Daily Mail has reported recently that Mourinho is looking to bring Ronaldo, Alonso, Khedira, Varane and Coentrao with him...might as well rename ourselves Real Chelsea. Oh and how could I forget Rooney and Falcao too.

ReputationRep:
    Of course he is. It's as good as certain. I am generally happy about it, but I would be concerned that the way the side is currently set up is a million miles from the way Jose likes to work. He is defensively inclined and cannot be happy about the way we play at the moment.

The Mail have also reported that he plans on making Luiz captain so it would appear that they love to juxtapose themselves. Making him captain old be the more logical move anyway.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    No attributed sources as per usual. The only journalist worth reading on there is Martin Samuel.
    Martin Samuel is incredibly biased though, especially towards certain clubs, and not a particularly good writer. Henry Winter at The Telegraph is the best to read for technical ability, and Guillem Balague is the best regarding truthful news due to his contacts in the game.

ReputationRep:
    Luiz ain't going nowhere not even Mourinho can do that,

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the reassurance. I feel happier now.

Bloody journalists! :rolleyes:

I am going to rep you all

(well, some of you are PRSOM I'm afraid)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billybo_h)
    Martin Samuel is incredibly biased though, especially towards certain clubs, and not a particularly good writer. Henry Winter at The Telegraph is the best to read for technical ability, and Guillem Balague is the best regarding truthful news due to his contacts in the game.
    I know he's a West Ham fan so I guess he'll be biased towards them but out of the Daily Mail bunch he's the only one I bother reading when I decide to see what panic inducing articles they like to troll their readers with. Henry Winter's good but he's been accused of bias towards Man Utd over some England defender who I thought retired years ago. At least Henry Winter stuck to his word on a bet and had to swim the width of the Tyne. I tend to like Martin's cynicism more than anything. I don't read much for sports journalism but I used to read Patrick Barclay's stuff before The Times went subscription only, although he's left them a while ago now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I know he's a West Ham fan so I guess he'll be biased towards them but out of the Daily Mail bunch he's the only one I bother reading when I decide to see what panic inducing articles they like to troll their readers with. Henry Winter's good but he's been accused of bias towards Man Utd over some England defender who I thought retired years ago. At least Henry Winter stuck to his word on a bet and had to swim the width of the Tyne. I tend to like Martin's cynicism more than anything. I don't read much for sports journalism but I used to read Patrick Barclay's stuff before The Times went subscription only, although he's left them a while ago now.
    Winter has been accused a few times, and he commonly uses malapropisms resulting in some strange phrases.

Balague is good to listen to and read, and he has also published a few books including one about Rafa and the Liverpool Champions League win, and last year his Pep Guardiola book was released. I think he is in the process of researching a Messi book at the moment as well. For someone with an interest in sports journalism he is definatley someone to aspire to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billybo_h)
    Winter has been accused a few times, and he commonly uses malapropisms resulting in some strange phrases.

Balague is good to listen to and read, and he has also published a few books including one about Rafa and the Liverpool Champions League win, and last year his Pep Guardiola book was released. I think he is in the process of researching a Messi book at the moment as well. For someone with an interest in sports journalism he is definatley someone to aspire to.
    Yeah I was thinking of British based ones when thinking of journalists. I used to see Balague's stuff a lot when my dad subscribed to Sky Sports but that was quite a while ago now and I guess going to a rugby and rowing loving university for three years probably hasn't helped. I'll look for his stuff soon.

ReputationRep:

No, Jose is not defensively inclined, have you watched a real madrid match before? He even said it himself, 'I like possession football, but with a goal' in response to spain's hyper-possession football in the euros.

Jose however is a pragmatic manager, he knew that he couldn't dominate the likes of barca/chelsea etc. with possession with inter so he did that bus park thing, however with madrid against top teams(utd, bayern, dortmund) he either had more possession than them(notably united and dortmund) or the same amount of possession.

ReputationRep:
    Glad Luiz leaving was a daily fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    No, Jose is not defensively inclined, have you watched a real madrid match before? He even said it himself, 'I like possession football, but with a goal' in response to spain's hyper-possession football in the euros.

Jose however is a pragmatic manager, he knew that he couldn't dominate the likes of barca/chelsea etc. with possession with inter so he did that bus park thing, however with madrid against top teams(utd, bayern, dortmund) he either had more possession than them(notably united and dortmund) or the same amount of possession.
    When he arrived at Chelsea in 2004 he was basically given a blank chequebook to build any kind of team he wanted. Doing for a very negative, defensively minded team is not pragmatic here, it is proactive.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone staying up to watch the game tonight? I had my last exam earlier so I might watch it as I've got nothing to do tomorrow. Would be good to see some of the younger players getting a game.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be up watching it tonight most likely.
    Kind of clinging on to football at the moment before we head into the next couple of months were nothing happens. Sad times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    When he arrived at Chelsea in 2004 he was basically given a blank chequebook to build any kind of team he wanted. Doing for a very negative, defensively minded team is not pragmatic here, it is proactive.
    Have you watched a real madrid match? That's my answer to your post.
    At madrid, he sees that he has attacking players in ronaldo, benzema, higuain and offensively minded defenders in marcelo and ramos. So guess what, he does attacking football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Have you watched a real madrid match? That's my answer to your question.
    Well he inherited a squad with Ronaldo, Xabi Alonso, Higuain etc so its not particularly surprising that he's been more offensive.

At Chelsea, he set his team up to be difficult to beat, well organised and with a focus on defense. It's not a bad thing, but that's his instinct. At Inter/Real we've seen that too at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Well he inherited a squad with Ronaldo, Xabi Alonso, Higuain etc so its not particularly surprising that he's been more offensive.

At Chelsea, he set his team up to be difficult to beat, well organised and with a focus on defense. It's not a bad thing, but that's his instinct. At Inter/Real we've seen that too at times.
    Against the likes of barca, and when they're hanging onto a lead.
    Well, we have mata, hazard, luiz, oscar, azpilicueta, cole. all fairly attacking players at the core of our team, cahill too to an extent.
    At inter he inherited mancini's team, bought 3 players in milito, sneijder and lucio with limited amounts of money so there wasn't much he could do there.

I guess mourinho thought the defensive style worked at porto so lets do it in england. Doesn't make him a defensive manager imo.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.