The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2960
Original post by The Assassin
That reminds me... Cole's contract ends at the end of the 2013/2014 season, I think. Wonder what we'll do then - offer him yet another extension (which is unlikely tbh), or go with Bertrand/attempt to get someone like Shaw? Aké can play as a left back but he seems to have shown more potential as a holding mid.

Just offer him an extension and phase him out of the team. Personally I think we should try the Cole bertrand duo on the flanks a little more so they get an understanding of each other, it'll help bertrand with his work when he gets forward and will help him defend, bayern munich do a similar thing with their fullback/winger to the point that robben will play right back at times.
Reply 2961
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Does Ryan Bertrand count? He played a fair bit of first team football in 2011-2012 and has a Champions League medal to show for it. They do need a chance in the first team since they have more or less shown their quality in both the FA youth Cup final the NextGen series (a youth CL equivalent) reaching to the finals in both. One way to force the issue would be that clubs have to have x amount of players who have trained with them since the age of 14 to be in the first team or something. That way it stops clubs buying up promising talent from other clubs and claiming to have developed them or hoarding them instead. Remember John Bostock? Moving to a 'bigger' club to improve your development isn't always the correct career path because, even if you're not good enough, you have suffered by jumping ahead and having very little, if ever, first team football in the process.

I'd say bertrand does count. Explained in the arsenal thread, it's the same way that toni kroos counts at bayern e.g., or the likes of fabio, rafael, sczechny count at their respective clubs.
Original post by jam277
Just offer him an extension and phase him out of the team. Personally I think we should try the Cole bertrand duo on the flanks a little more so they get an understanding of each other, it'll help bertrand with his work when he gets forward and will help him defend, bayern munich do a similar thing with their fullback/winger to the point that robben will play right back at times.

Hmm that's quite a good idea.

Berty has shown some potential as both and he has covered well for Cole when Cole was injured -- hope he'll be solid enough in the coming years. The partnership would definitely help him. But there a lot of Chelsea fans that don't have much faith -- remmber one saying he puts Bertrand on the same level as Traoré from QPR :lol:.

Wonder what we'll do with the rest of the talent though. Our youngsters really have a lot of potential and I hope we manage to keep some of them here, especially the likes of Feruz/Loftus-Cheek/Chalobah/Aké.
So who will be your next manager: Mourinho? Pellagrini? Laudrap?
Reply 2964
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
So who will be your next manager: Mourinho? Pellagrini? Laudrap?

Laudrup :lol:
Good as he is we might as well have kept RDM as laudrup will suffer the same fate after 7 months and a bad run of form.

Mourinho has been shouted about for weeks, he's at chelsea lets be honest.

There have been a few reports saying he's signed a 4 year deal for 250k a week, although I reckon they've just been from the same source which is unreliable. It won't be long now until we find out though.
Original post by Eloades11
There have been a few reports saying he's signed a 4 year deal for 250k a week, although I reckon they've just been from the same source which is unreliable. It won't be long now until we find out though.

yeah that probably makes sense - aye im hoping the rumours are true though haha
I want Bayern Munich to win tonight cos we beat them last time! Robben deserves the CL trophy.
Original post by jam277
Laudrup :lol:
Good as he is we might as well have kept RDM as laudrup will suffer the same fate after 7 months and a bad run of form.

Mourinho has been shouted about for weeks, he's at chelsea lets be honest.

Damn, you're right indeed but remember Laudrap isn't bad but he's just not the choice if the consensus and hasn't ever managed a big European ''giant'' team before, he lacks that incentive. His achievements as a manager though are definitely noteworthy, he wouldn't thrive at Chelsea but he would do well. But it's just that he'll be under immense pressure and if he makes one slip up or minor discrepancy that Abramahovic doesn't like, then he'll also join the victim list and be sacked before his managerial game can be developed and extended.

Also, I cannot truly believe and sink in the fact that Mourinho is the Chelsea manager yet, not until he puts pen on paper. You must be aware that the mass media gets relatively too excited over these alleged speculatoons but obviously he is the front-runner still, just not confirmed as of yet. But what we do know is that you're manager next season will definitely not be: Dean Saunders and that's a fact! Sorry if does have any secret fanboys on here.
Reply 2970
Original post by cleveradam
I want Bayern Munich to win tonight cos we beat them last time! Robben deserves the CL trophy.

I want bayern munich to win so we can beat guardiola again, cos he can't beat our club if his job depended on it. :colonhash:
But seriously I hate bayern munich, but I want our new look chelsea to face them and see if we're as good.
Might as well sing it while it lasts....

CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE! WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE!

2 more hours of Chelsea's reign.
Reply 2972
I absolutely despise that chant and all of its variations.
Original post by The Rusty Spork
I absolutely despise that chant and all of its variations.

Agreed. So glad the fans won't be signing it again. Unless they continue because of the Europa League, which would make it more cringe-worthy than it already is.
Reply 2974
Original post by Isometrix
Agreed. So glad the fans won't be signing it again. Unless they continue because of the Europa League, which would make it more cringe-worthy than it already is.

"Second class Champions of Europe - We know what we are"

:rofl2:
Original post by The Rusty Spork
"Second class Champions of Europe - We know what we are"

:rofl2:

Leave it yeah :colonhash:
Well looks like Bayern will be partying in West London tonight.

:ashamed2:
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
Well looks like Bayern will be partying in West London tonight.

:ashamed2:

The irony.
Original post by jam277
I want bayern munich to win so we can beat guardiola again, cos he can't beat our club if his job depended on it. :colonhash:
But seriously I hate bayern munich, but I want our new look chelsea to face them and see if we're as good.

Yes Yes Yes couldn't agree with you more here. Arrogant little pricks , SO wanted Dortmund to win tonight , shame it didn't happen.

Next season i want us to face Guardiola and whoop em , would be the best night of my life haha

Latest