The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/15941/20130530/chelsea-transfer-news-cavani-torres-swap-deal-planned-jose-mourinho.htm

this just seems like rumours to me , but if Mourinho really is coming back then i would be quite happy to see Torres go and Cavani replace him.

Although the amount of goals is decent, didn't know his conversion rate was this poor.
Reply 3102
Original post by The Assassin

Although the amount of goals is decent, didn't know his conversion rate was this poor.

Gutted about getting Schurrle ffs. I hope he proves me wrong, but I think we're making a massive error letting KDB go.

Starting to sound like a broken record. But I'm pretty sure we're not going to see him be a starting player for Chelsea. He's a more promising player than Oscar is.

Ah well.
Yeah, oh well though. Like jam said, we needed a winger. Hope KDB returns 2014/2015 season :\

Also, we've been linked with De Rossi. o_O
Reply 3104
Yeah, oh well though. Like jam said, we needed a winger. Hope KDB returns 2014/2015 season :\

Also, we've been linked with De Rossi. o_O

While de rossi would be good, what is the point? We have essien already and de rossi isn't a DLP. If we went for someone like alonso then fair enough. Montolivo would be a good shout too.
Original post by jam277
While de rossi would be good, what is the point? We have essien already and de rossi isn't a DLP. If we went for someone like alonso then fair enough. Montolivo would be a good shout too.

I agree totally. Instantly thought 'I'd rather go for Alonso'. Good call on Montolivo - didn't think about him. He wouldn't as expensive compared to other potential midfielders either.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3106
Original post by jam277

In getting schurrle, we can have someone who can take on his man on the wings

I've only seen Schurrle play about three times but on each occasion he's not been that sort of player whatsoever. When a defender gets even vaguely tight to him he immediately lays the ball off, doesn't even try to beat them 1v1 like Hazard might. He's a good player but not that sort of player. The main problem I saw was decision making (taking inappropriate long shots or choosing the wrong pass). He'll be a good squad player for sure (big improvement on Marin) but if you're expecting a tricky winger who dribbles past people then you're in for a surprise buddy :teeth:
Reply 3107
Original post by mhsc
I've only seen Schurrle play about three times but on each occasion he's not been that sort of player whatsoever. When a defender gets even vaguely tight to him he immediately lays the ball off, doesn't even try to beat them 1v1 like Hazard might. He's a good player but not that sort of player. The main problem I saw was decision making (taking inappropriate long shots or choosing the wrong pass). He'll be a good squad player for sure (big improvement on Marin) but if you're expecting a tricky winger who dribbles past people then you're in for a surprise buddy :teeth:

Oh well. I only thought that because he is pretty fast. If that's the case then why are we buying him. To replace benayoun?
We should have bought reus last year. :colonhash:
What is the point of having a winger who just lays the ball backwards when they go onto him, we might as well have renewed malouda's contract.

Anyway, regardless of the schurle situation, robben still looks like a solution to our attacking play problems, just buy him ffs it's actually a no brainer if you can get him for cheap. We're basically just buying as much cheap young talent as possible so we don't get that ageing stars situation we encountered 2-3 years ago.
Reply 3108
2nd June boys, we're ready for the second coming! Reckon they'll announce it before the season ticket renewal deadline, which is the third!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jack1233
2nd June boys, we're ready for the second coming! Reckon they'll announce it before the season ticket renewal deadline, which is the third!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let us wait until Sky Sports News confirm the deal with a rather glamorous press conference before any excitement ensues.

In any case, I am disposed to be rather more reserved than many in my delight regarding the return of Mourinho. This is not 2004 - so much is obvious - and people underestimate, I think, how much the climate has changed since then.
Reply 3110
Original post by jam277
Oh well. I only thought that because he is pretty fast. If that's the case then why are we buying him. To replace benayoun?
We should have bought reus last year. :colonhash:
What is the point of having a winger who just lays the ball backwards when they go onto him, we might as well have renewed malouda's contract.

Anyway, regardless of the schurle situation, robben still looks like a solution to our attacking play problems, just buy him ffs it's actually a no brainer if you can get him for cheap. We're basically just buying as much cheap young talent as possible so we don't get that ageing stars situation we encountered 2-3 years ago.

Well generally what he does (from what I've seen) is lay the ball off and then turn and use his pace to get behind the defensive line. If he's laying it off to Mata, Hazard or Oscar you can probably imagine he'll find himself behind the back line plenty, but his main problem is in that situation he shoots like 75% of the time no matter the angle.

He did seem to try to help defend though, so I imagine that's part of it as well (not to say he's some sort of defensive genius, but he does chase the ball down and put his foot in).

Imo he's a massive step up from Benayoun or Marin as a squad player but he's not as good as KDB so I don't know why we don't just recall him and start rotating him.
God, I'm excited!

(edited 10 years ago)
As it seems almost inevitable that Mourinho is coming back, what do people think the situation with Emelano will be. The original rumours were that he wasn't going to sign if Emelano was still there as he has too much control.

Do people think that they have managed to compromise regarding the power struggle, as I cannot see RA losing his grip on the football aspect of the team.
Seriously? If KDB is better than Schurrle then what's the point in buying him?! Just recall the former... sigh... >_>
Seriously? If KDB is better than Schurrle then what's the point in buying him?! Just recall the former... sigh... >_>

Such unbelievable misuse of talent at Chelsea sometimes. KDB could probably slot into your XI considering Dortmund are after him.
Original post by Zürich
Such unbelievable misuse of talent at Chelsea sometimes. KDB could probably slot into your XI considering Dortmund are after him.

Exactly. KDB is comfortable playing in most places in midfield (and he'd definitely feel more comfortable on the wings than Oscar). We've paid £20m for Schurrle as well... why couldn't we have tried to get Robben back? :frown:
Exactly. KDB is comfortable playing in most places in midfield (and he'd definitely feel more comfortable on the wings than Oscar). We've paid £20m for Schurrle as well... why couldn't we have tried to get Robben back? :frown:

Robben is probably on his way out of Bayern but not sure he'd suit CFC so much these days. Then again Mourinho will probbaly change things and he was a top top player in 2004-2007 so maybe. Wouldnt mind him at Arsenal tbh for <10m.

Schurrle is a weird striker/winger hybrid like Podolski right? Not sure CFC need that either but it offers something different I guess.
Reply 3117
Original post by Zürich
Robben is probably on his way out of Bayern but not sure he'd suit CFC so much these days. Then again Mourinho will probbaly change things and he was a top top player in 2004-2007 so maybe. Wouldnt mind him at Arsenal tbh for <10m.

Schurrle is a weird striker/winger hybrid like Podolski right? Not sure CFC need that either but it offers something different I guess.

No chance Arsenal would get Robben for less than £10 million.
Original post by Musester
No chance Arsenal would get Robben for less than £10 million.

nearly 30, out of favor at Bayern...

Very little chance he'll end up at AFC, but wherever he goes it wont be for more than 10m.
Original post by Zürich
nearly 30, out of favor at Bayern...

Very little chance he'll end up at AFC, but wherever he goes it wont be for more than 10m.

The transfer fee might not be that high but his wage demands will still be huge. I'd expect easily over 100k a week?

Latest