The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingMessi
The Bleacher Report is utter rot. It's a teeming mass of vacuity, truisms, lazy journalism, and sensationalist nonsense. I can't stand it.

Hahaha! :biggrin:. I love your eloquent descriptions of things.

Original post by Eloades11
It's very unfortunate that he's on his way out, he's been one of our best CDMs in the past few seasons, and one of the most consistent (certainly more consistent that Ramires and Luiz). But it's as you said, now we have Essien back with Romeu, we have a billion CDMs so we'll have to make some sacrifices. I knew Mikel would be shown the door first, and no doubt others will be interested in Ramires. I'd rather see others go and keep Mikel because he was established in that role, and was one of the most underrated players last season, he carried our midfield.

Very sad to see Mikel go, he will be missed. I would rather have kept him than some of the other CDMs, and 16 million is a good sum but he's definitely worth at least that. I'd suspect there will be interest in Mata over this summer with the number of AMs we have, but he loves the club and he won't leave, which is good news.

I don't know; I like Mikel too but I'd rather have the others stay. Romeu was very good defensively especially considering his age (prior to his unfortunate season-long injury), and with Essien, whilst he's been injured quite a lot he's often been a reliable player and, if you watched him with Real Madrid, he was looking very good in midfield before being pushed back to the fullback positions. This season, I often found that with David Luiz in the CDM position the play wasn't as slow and the forwards had more opportunities. Only issue is Luiz isn't really used to the position yet and isn't all that consistent.

Still hope that we go for Gundogan. Very good as a DLP and is good defensively too. Wish we could make Oscar fit the DLP role but there will be a lot of problems. The 3 amigos have very good chemistry with each other so I'm a reluctant to see them split up (if they do). Although as jam said they could interchange their positions during the game.

Oh and yes, good to hear about Mata. Apparently a lot of agents are always in contact but he prefers to stay. A lot of players say they love the club (apparently Luiz even rejected Barca a few times? Not sure how believable that is but...)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3541
I dont think Mikel leaving is a great move, I dont really rate Romeu, when i'v seen him he's always been incredibly slow and gives away sloppy passes
Reply 3542
Romeu has bags of potential but I wouldn't want Mikel to leave unless we're signing a top replacement (like De Rossi who has been rumoured recently?)
Reply 3543
Original post by mhsc
Romeu has bags of potential but I wouldn't want Mikel to leave unless we're signing a top replacement (like De Rossi who has been rumoured recently?)

I'd think the same, tbh. Mikel may be limited, but I don't think any of your other midfielders apart from Essien offers the positional discipline and tenaciousness that he does. Or perhaps Mourinho plans to move ahead with converting Luiz into a full-time DM? :dontknow:
Mikel knows how to play and was our only physical/strong player in midfield...
Lampard is old - not physical
Hazard - agile/balance/fast - not physical
Mata - not physical
Oscar - weakest of them all
Ramires - aggressive but not too strong.
And most of our bench is full of weak/ish players
Our defense on the other hand is beastly though but we need a physical presence in midfield.
And to bring Schurrle to the left wing (most likely) after all of this just makes the midfield even more weak against physical teams.
if chelsea get a world class striker such as cavani, id place them favourites just for the premier league, I cant see man utd at their usual best and man city will always have that inconsistency as a "number 1 team" in the premiership.
Original post by cleveradam
Mikel knows how to play and was our only physical/strong player in midfield...
Lampard is old - not physical
Hazard - agile/balance/fast - not physical
Mata - not physical
Oscar - weakest of them all
Ramires - aggressive but not too strong.
And most of our bench is full of weak/ish players
Our defense on the other hand is beastly though but we need a physical presence in midfield.
And to bring Schurrle to the left wing (most likely) after all of this just makes the midfield even more weak against physical teams.

arturo vidal would be a good shout for a more physcial central midfielder. Id love to see Hamsik come, maybe when lamps goes but that could b a while
Reply 3547
Original post by KingMessi
Excellent news. Mikel has been a very good servant to the club but is a very, very limited footballer and sixteen million pounds is an excellent sum to get for him - precisely what we bought him for, I believe.

Exactly what I was gonna say. It's good to see him go, was a good servant to the club and he has had wonderful games for us but he's not good enough to take us to the next level, he was the first person I wanted to see go in order for us to progress. He deserves game time but not for us.

It's very unfortunate that he's on his way out, he's been one of our best CDMs in the past few seasons, and one of the most consistent (certainly more consistent that Ramires and Luiz). But it's as you said, now we have Essien back with Romeu, we have a billion CDMs so we'll have to make some sacrifices. I knew Mikel would be shown the door first, and no doubt others will be interested in Ramires. I'd rather see others go and keep Mikel because he was established in that role, and was one of the most underrated players last season, he carried our midfield.

Very sad to see Mikel go, he will be missed. I would rather have kept him than some of the other CDMs, and 16 million is a good sum but he's definitely worth at least that. I'd suspect there will be interest in Mata over this summer with the number of AMs we have, but he loves the club and he won't leave, which is good news.

Na, I wanted him to go, no point him being here. He didn't carry the midfield, he was very good at his job, di matteo liked him though and he was going forward more and getting involved in the attack a little bit more, but he just isn't good enough with our new style of play where we need more dynamic DM's who can spray passes around effortlessly while being decent defensively. But well done mikel, he's got a CL medal with us and many more trophies and has been a great servant, can't fault him for that. Similar to seeing kalou go I feel.

Original post by The Assassin
Hahaha! :biggrin:. I love your eloquent descriptions of things.

I don't know; I like Mikel too but I'd rather have the others stay. Romeu was very good defensively especially considering his age (prior to his unfortunate season-long injury), and with Essien, whilst he's been injured quite a lot he's often been a reliable player and, if you watched him with Real Madrid, he was looking very good in midfield before being pushed back to the fullback positions. This season, I often found that with David Luiz in the CDM position the play wasn't as slow and the forwards had more opportunities. Only issue is Luiz isn't really used to the position yet and isn't all that consistent.

Still hope that we go for Gundogan. Very good as a DLP and is good defensively too. Wish we could make Oscar fit the DLP role but there will be a lot of problems. The 3 amigos have very good chemistry with each other so I'm a reluctant to see them split up (if they do). Although as jam said they could interchange their positions during the game.

Oh and yes, good to hear about Mata. Apparently a lot of agents are always in contact but he prefers to stay. A lot of players say they love the club (apparently Luiz even rejected Barca a few times? Not sure how believable that is but...)

Romeu was an absolute beast under AVB, could spray the ball to the wings quickly very well, too bad he was out of favour under RDM but you could see that benitez took a liking to him, seemed to work well as a DM.

I don't think oscar can yet control a game either, although tbf I watch him next to hazard and mata so it's a bit of an unfair criticism. He sure can do in the future. Bags of technique and bags of potential, if he fulfils it he could be as good as mata. If hazard fulfils his potential, then we're looking at our new version of ronaldo. Damn our team looks good atm it's gonna be hard to see us **** up.

Yeah, luiz has had a lot of offers from barca, I remember they wanted him when ancelotti was sacked but AVB wanted to keep him. He'll stay here for a long time I feel.

Original post by 101101
I dont think Mikel leaving is a great move, I dont really rate Romeu, when i'v seen him he's always been incredibly slow and gives away sloppy passes

Basically, you made that evaluation on him due to the united match in the league cup? :facepalm2: He's not blessed with pace, but he's an incredibly good reader of the game and under AVB he was our best passer, had like 92% passes completed iirc...
He was absolutely great against city at the bridge 2 seasons ago e.g.
Reply 3548
Original post by Abiraleft
I'd think the same, tbh. Mikel may be limited, but I don't think any of your other midfielders apart from Essien offers the positional discipline and tenaciousness that he does. Or perhaps Mourinho plans to move ahead with converting Luiz into a full-time DM? :dontknow:

But that's the thing, if we have mikel, essien and romeu one will be struggling for game time. Since Luiz was great in DM and quickens the play more than our other players I would love to see him there or to play in the two positions.
Reply 3549
Original post by jam277
But that's the thing, if we have mikel, essien and romeu one will be struggling for game time. Since Luiz was great in DM and quickens the play more than our other players I would love to see him there or to play in the two positions.

My thinking was that Essien would start and Mikel would basically be backup, with Romeu given gametime against 'easier' opposition and in cup games and stuff. :dontknow: Speaking of which, how much do Chelsea fans set in store with regard to Romeu? Does anyone see a long and bright future for him at Chelsea, or is he off to Barca in a couple of years so you don't care, or is he a good option to have at the moment, or what? How much do you think the club are looking to develop him? :p:
Original post by jam277

dont see the fuss over essien, hes past his prime and isnt getting any younger would make sense to keep mikel and buy another DM
Original post by jam277

Romeu was an absolute beast under AVB, could spray the ball to the wings quickly very well, too bad he was out of favour under RDM but you could see that benitez took a liking to him, seemed to work well as a DM.

I don't think oscar can yet control a game either, although tbf I watch him next to hazard and mata so it's a bit of an unfair criticism. He sure can do in the future. Bags of technique and bags of potential, if he fulfils it he could be as good as mata. If hazard fulfils his potential, then we're looking at our new version of ronaldo. Damn our team looks good atm it's gonna be hard to see us **** up.

Yeah, luiz has had a lot of offers from barca, I remember they wanted him when ancelotti was sacked but AVB wanted to keep him. He'll stay here for a long time I feel.

Indeed, I don't see us ****ing up to the extent that we have done in recent years. Happy with a lot of the decisions Mourinho is making too. Him wanting Torres to stay should do a great deal for his confidence and with Lukaku/Ba too we should have a fine strikeforce. Have quite a good feeling Oscar of all people will flourish under Mourinho too and he'll truly fulfill his potential there. Our team isn't in transition anymore and our attacking mids (with the ones we're looking to get too) really should wreck **** up. Get a DLP and our squad should perform terrifically.

Only thing is with Hazard, whilst I do see him being one of the best out out there (our Ronaldo) once he reaches this level he'll probably be poached by one of the bigger clubs :frown:

On the topic of midfielders, I wouldn't be too keen on Ramires being starting next season as much as he did this season if we get someone else. He has his strengths but like Mikel he's limited and has problems in certain areas (technical ability, his crosses/passes, etc.) He'd be good as a super-sub though.

EDIT: When I think about it, what exactly is it about Mikel that he's really good at it (strengths) to the extent that people want him to stay? He's not athletic, he's not a good ball winner and he's certainly not a playmaker. Don't recall him being all that great when defending a counter attack. There's a ****load of people out there that could do Mikel's job. Why haven't other 'good' clubs looked to get him?

Original post by Abiraleft
x

Would you really say he's tenacious? The guy doesn't even sprint!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3552
Original post by jam277

Basically, you made that evaluation on him due to the united match in the league cup? :facepalm2: He's not blessed with pace, but he's an incredibly good reader of the game and under AVB he was our best passer, had like 92% passes completed iirc...
He was absolutely great against city at the bridge 2 seasons ago e.g.

Not blessed with pace is an understatement, he takes longer to turn than hangeland and Mertersacker.

If a player is slow, then he could normally make up for it with good positioning , but he hasn't always shown this, for example, the game against West Brom when we lost 2-1, you could argue he was accountable for both goals. I also seem to remember a while ago (i think it was against fulham) sometimes he looked a little lost which then caused a lot of confusion with the back four.

I agree he moves the ball a lot quicker than Mikel, and I hope Romeu does prove me wrong
Reply 3553
Well I only saw Essien a few times at Real Madrid, but as far as I remember in the many years of watching him he was never a very good DM anyway. He could do a job there because (in his prime) he was the ultimate utility player that had the pace and power to play just about anywhere. I don't think making him full time DM is a wise move, but he can be backup there.

Either Mikel will stay, Luiz will become a full time DM, Romeu will get his season to shine or we'll sign the likes of De Rossi. Ramires&Essien are not DMs but both can sort of do a shoddy job there if necessary (neither has particularly good passing either - both much worse than Mikel's even if he has become very conservative with it in the last couple of seasons).
Original post by jam277
Na, I wanted him to go, no point him being here. He didn't carry the midfield, he was very good at his job, di matteo liked him though and he was going forward more and getting involved in the attack a little bit more, but he just isn't good enough with our new style of play where we need more dynamic DM's who can spray passes around effortlessly while being decent defensively. But well done mikel, he's got a CL medal with us and many more trophies and has been a great servant, can't fault him for that. Similar to seeing kalou go I feel.

I'm afraid I disagree with you on this one. For the last season, him and Ramires were the best partnership in our team, and as I said before massively underrated. Nothing like seeing Kalou leave, I never really rated the guy or follow him much.
Oscar was bossing it tonight.
Agreed. Oscar looked brilliant.

We were often linked with Isco last season -- would you guys still want him?

Have quite a few attacking mids already but imagine how deadly the team would be with him there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Oscar was brilliant one of the stars of the game. Luiz not so much looks very uncomfortable in the back four.
I'm afraid I disagree with you on this one. For the last season, him and Ramires were the best partnership in our team, and as I said before massively underrated. Nothing like seeing Kalou leave, I never really rated the guy or follow him much.

KU98E.jpg
shhhhh..
Original post by Malevolent
Oscar was brilliant one of the stars of the game. Luiz not so much looks very uncomfortable in the back four.

Completely agree, Oscar's pass to Jo was incredible. He's got huge potential and I can see him running games next season.
Original post by Someguy123456
KU98E.jpg
shhhhh..

Sorry, what point are you trying to make?

Latest