The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3640
What Lukaku just said

rlukaku
My last night of being lazy like this.. From 2morrow on my pre-season upcoming season will starts. I will train every single part of my body to be twice as good than last year.. Stronger, faster, bring more quality into my game just to be as deadly as the great masters of the game. It will be hard but when you work hard you will play hard.. Season 13/14 is the season when i stop playing like a boy and will play as a MAN!! #ambition

Have to admire his determination. Nice to have players that don't give up. I have every faith Jose will turn him into one of the best strikers in the world with that attitude.
http://espnfc.com/news/story?id=1480797&cc=5739

Cool. Hoping it's true and we do manage to get him (even if Man United are more likely)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3642
Don't need him, yeah he's good at dictating play(which we genuinely need) but his physicality would be a problem with our already non physical team unless we're going to just try and outpass every team barca style. Although coming to think of CM's and playmakers. Here's an article on david luiz.
http://thinkfootball.co.uk/archives/10328
I agree to an extent, even though stats aren't everything. I think luiz has a big problem in rushing out to get the ball, while it can look fantastic at times it can leave gaping holes in defence when a CB rushes out and can just be exploited by a 1-2. The passing stats I think that he could be better but he is still an accomplished passer of the ball. I think he improved a lot going into DM and was pretty assured in the position too, he should stay there and play as a CB when needed.

The stats also show how good terry is, he should start next season. While he obviously doesn't make as many long passes he's pretty assured at the back and great in the air and just an all round quality defender. Mourinho would be wise to start him imo.
Reply 3643
After his performance in the u21s, Barca aren't letting him go unless someone coughs up something around 20m+. Even then, I highly doubt that they'll sell him especially to you guys.....*cough Jose
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3644
Original post by jam277
Don't need him, yeah he's good at dictating play(which we genuinely need) but his physicality would be a problem with our already non physical team unless we're going to just try and outpass every team barca style. Although coming to think of CM's and playmakers. Here's an article on david luiz.
http://thinkfootball.co.uk/archives/10328
I agree to an extent, even though stats aren't everything. I think luiz has a big problem in rushing out to get the ball, while it can look fantastic at times it can leave gaping holes in defence when a CB rushes out and can just be exploited by a 1-2. The passing stats I think that he could be better but he is still an accomplished passer of the ball. I think he improved a lot going into DM and was pretty assured in the position too, he should stay there and play as a CB when needed.

The stats also show how good terry is, he should start next season. While he obviously doesn't make as many long passes he's pretty assured at the back and great in the air and just an all round quality defender. Mourinho would be wise to start him imo.

I really don't understand the desire to find holes and faults in David Luiz. Kind of like the same thing that happens to Ramos although there's a bit of a reason/ understanding for him. Luiz is criminally an unappreciated player in this country.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 419
After his performance in the u21s, Barca aren't letting him go unless someone coughs up something around 20m+. Even then, I highly doubt that they'll sell him especially to you guys.....*cough Jose

He has a release clause of £15 million.
Reply 3646
Original post by cheetahs56
He has a release clause of £15 million.

I remain sceptical of this.
Original post by 419
I remain sceptical of this.

Haha what do you mean? Pretty sure that it's official:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3648
Original post by 419
I really don't understand the desire to find holes and faults in David Luiz. Kind of like the same thing that happens to Ramos although there's a bit of a reason/ understanding for him. Luiz is criminally an unappreciated player in this country.

I know, I agree that luiz is an underrated player. I believe that he can be a top DM/CB and has quality in most of his game, he's pretty much the most complete footballer I've seen. I was just looking at this. Me and my brother were arguing about david luiz and I was talking about his key passes, so I decided to look at stats. Ok we know luiz isn't the greatest in the air in comparison to cahill and terry (although he's good enough imo) but on his feet he's amazing.

I think he could be replaced, but we'd be absolute idiots to try and do so. I wouldn't trade him for subotic.
Reply 3649
Torres scored 4. Not that it means that much being Tahiti, but it's still nice. Glad to see him comforting the keeper too after he made a mistake.
Reply 3650
Original post by Tweek
Torres scored 4. Not that it means that much being Tahiti, but it's still nice. Glad to see him comforting the keeper too after he made a mistake.

It's normally the other way around.
Original post by Tweek

He also missed a penalty, should've had 6 and had 2 easy passes to Villa to score but he messed them up. I love Torres, I did when he was at Liverpool and I will when he leaves but we can't rely on him coming good anymore.
Reply 3652
Just a genuine question to anyone who's willing to answer, but what exactly are we expecting from our striker, whoever that may be?

Chelsea have never really had a striker that regularly scores 20 league goals a season. Not in recent times.

I'd hardly say Drogba was a goal machine. He had two stand-out seasons where he was an absolute machine, the same goes for JFH. But the likes of Flo, Gudjohnsen and such have never carried the team.

Some teams just have strikers that are the source of all their goals, such as Arsenal with Henry. This is why our top goal scorer is a midfielder. We're a team that relies on everyone to score, not just the striker. Yet strangely most Chelsea fans expect us to magically have a striker that's scoring above and beyond anyone else in the team when we've never had that.

Drogba was never prolific, barring his two outstanding seasons he amassed on average a goal every 3 games in the other 6. That's not very good compared to most strikers.

When you have had the likes of Zola, Lampard, J.Cole, and now Mata/Hazard, it's not like we need a striker to be the main outsource of goals. I just don't understand why everyone seems to expect Torres to be banging in goals left right and centre when no-one else has.

If we had the likes of Cavani or Lewandowski are we all expecting them to be averaging at least a goal a game? It's not like we're well known for having prolific strikers. Like I said. What are people's expectations?
Reply 3653
Original post by Tweek
Just a genuine question to anyone who's willing to answer, but what exactly are we expecting from our striker, whoever that may be?

Chelsea have never really had a striker that regularly scores 20 league goals a season. Not in recent times.

I'd hardly say Drogba was a goal machine. He had two stand-out seasons where he was an absolute machine, the same goes for JFH. But the likes of Flo, Gudjohnsen and such have never carried the team.

Some teams just have strikers that are the source of all their goals, such as Arsenal with Henry. This is why our top goal scorer is a midfielder. We're a team that relies on everyone to score, not just the striker. Yet strangely most Chelsea fans expect us to magically have a striker that's scoring above and beyond anyone else in the team when we've never had that.

Drogba was never prolific, barring his two outstanding seasons he amassed on average a goal every 3 games in the other 6. That's not very good compared to most strikers.

When you have had the likes of Zola, Lampard, J.Cole, and now Mata/Hazard, it's not like we need a striker to be the main outsource of goals. I just don't understand why everyone seems to expect Torres to be banging in goals left right and centre when no-one else has.

If we had the likes of Cavani or Lewandowski are we all expecting them to be averaging at least a goal a game? It's not like we're well known for having prolific strikers. Like I said. What are people's expectations?

I don't see why they were complaining about torres' performance vs tahiti, he scored 4 goals. Fine he missed a penalty but that can happen, I did laugh at it though. They're full of **** those pundits. They didn't complain about silva's piss poor passing in the match, or the fact that spain didn't even fully try against tahiti.

Personally I'd like to see better all round performances from him, since he's not the strongest of players he struggles in the air, how many times do we see him bossed off the ball when we try and reach him from a goal kick. He still has a good amount of pace, link up play and dribbling ability to help us in our overall play too. The way our team has been set up for the most part(JM onwards) has primarily been a defensive team that gets goals from midfield as well as up top. It means we never score many goals to begin with.

The reason why drogba had a standout season for ancelotti e.g. was because we had such a giant goal tally.

What I want to see from torres is him making a nuisance of himself and making defence **** their pants, if that results in goals, great, if it results in a better team performance, that's just as good. Funnily enough lewandowski got 22 league goals this season, kiessling got more but nobody talks about kiessling and how good he is. Torres should stay in the team unless we can get a good offer from him.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tweek

I personally don't expect a goal a game, but 15-20 in the league, not 8! And someone who can make a difference in big games, not against Steaua Bucharest when we're already 3-1 up. And lastly, someone that looks like a world class player, every game, not having 1 good game in 10 so everyone can say 'he's back'.
Reply 3655
De Bruyne is staying after talking to Mourinho, he rejected the offer for a 5-year contract at Dortmund. Confirmed by his agent apparently.

https://twitter.com/HLNinEngeland/status/347941045142704128
Original post by Nickini
De Bruyne is staying after talking to Mourinho, he rejected the offer for a 5-year contract at Dortmund. Confirmed by his agent apparently.

https://twitter.com/HLNinEngeland/status/347941045142704128

That's fantastic. It shows Mourinho's intent to utilise him beyond a peripheral role in the team. Honestly can't wait to see him and Lukaku in action this season, given their successful loan spells.

Would he have been a like-for-like replacement for Gotze if he went to BVB?

Original post by nicseymour
I personally don't expect a goal a game, but 15-20 in the league, not 8! And someone who can make a difference in big games, not against Steaua Bucharest when we're already 3-1 up. And lastly, someone that looks like a world class player, every game, not having 1 good game in 10 so everyone can say 'he's back'.

Yeah, 20+ league goals in a season is pretty much the minimum standard for a top striker. 30+ is world class in my opinion. But I think it'll be difficult for any of our current strikers to get 20 next season when there's gonna be three of them competing for one spot.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3657
Love how united fans are lapping up the potential signing of Thiago. One of them said it would be the biggest signing of the summer.
Reply 3658
Original post by Isometrix

Yeah, 20+ league goals in a season is pretty much the minimum standard for a top striker. 30+ is world class in my opinion. But I think it'll be difficult for any of our current strikers to get 20 next season when there's gonna be three of them competing for one spot.

Drogba only got 20+ league goals in 2 seasons, and one of them was 20 dead on. The other 6 seasons he got 10, 12, 8, 5, 11, 5.
Anelka never got more than 20, but did win the Golden boot with 19 goals.
Flo only averaged around 10 league goals.
Crespo only got 10 league goals.
Vialli and Hughes only got around 10 league goals too, however they were coming towards the end of their career.
JFH got 23 league goals consecutively in his first two seasons, however this halved the next season due to aging.

Technically we've not had a top striker since Kerry Dixon by that definition.

Another way of explaining it is like this. In Arsenal's 03/04 season Henry scored 41% of all Arsenal's league goals. Again last year for them RVP scored a similar 40-41% of their league goals. By comparison in our double winning season of 09/10 Drogba only scored 28% of all our league goals. He would have had to of scored around 43 league goals that year to amass a similar percentage of the teams collective league goals.
Similarly in 07/08 Ronaldo scored 38% of United's league goals.

We're not set-up to be a team that has a striker out-scoring everyone else in the team. Maybe it could change with Lukaku or another big striker in Cavani. But with the likes of Torres, who brings other players into the game, we're not going to get 20+ league goals a season. This is why it looks like Torres has failed so much. At Liverpool they relied on the likes of Owen/Heskey/Fowler/Torres and now Suarez. It was never going to be the same here. I'm not saying he's not failed, I'm saying he's altered his game and won't ever be as deadly IMHO, even if he was the same Torres as the one that arrived at Liverpool.

People need to alter their expectations, because the rest of the team would face a detriment if we were to push a striker to carry us.
Original post by Musester
Love how united fans are lapping up the potential signing of Thiago. One of them said it would be the biggest signing of the summer.

Excuse us for getting a little excited about signing a player in a position that we've been crying out for for years and years. The fact that you bring this up multiple times a day in multiple threads can only mean that you are a little bitter he isn't coming to Chelsea.

Latest