Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    We shouldn't have sacked Ancelotti.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    would like another CB who can play at RB though, just so when Luiz starts in CM, we have Ivanovic + one as potential back ups.
    Hutchinson could play both, sadly I don't think He'll recover.

Kalas and PVA (loaned again probably as Cole's contract got extended) have both been doing great according to loan reports. And we also bought Wallace. But I expect Wallace will be loaned.

ReputationRep:
    A bid has been accepted for Cavani apparently. Similar figure to the one paid for Torres, around £50m.

Not the most reliable of sources stating it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    A bid has been accepted for Cavani apparently. Similar figure to the one paid for Torres, around £50m.

Not the most reliable of sources stating it though.
    Sky sports reporting Moyes might go for Cavani as well :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    Sky sports reporting Moyes might go for Cavani as well :dontknow:
    he's coming to Chelseaaaaaaaa £49.3 million transfer fee agreed , according to the Napoli Radio Marte !

edit : nevermind just seen Tweek beat me to it .. 5 hours ago

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me that's not true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    he's coming to Chelseaaaaaaaa £49.3 million transfer fee agreed , according to the Napoli Radio Marte !

edit : nevermind just seen Tweek beat me to it .. 5 hours ago
    Oh right. Ba, lukaku, Torres..where will they fit in? Someone surely has to go...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    Oh right. Ba, lukaku, Torres..where will they fit in? Someone surely has to go...
    would be dead happy to see Torres **** right off tbh. Ba ain't that good , but he's better out of him/Torres.

ReputationRep:
    Ba is nowhere near as good as Torres.

When Torres was on his game last season you knew about. He creates space, went past players with ease and has good link-up play, and when he is on that form, which he consistently showed towards the end of last season, it gives everyone a boost.

Ba by contrast doesn't really offer much. He only scored 2 in 14 in the EPL. Considering we bought him whilst he's in his best form supposedly, that's not a good return.

I'd rather Ba leave, but then again Ba doesn't have Torres' wages...

ReputationRep:
    Hindsight is always a wonderful thing. Last December we had Torres who wasn't netting, and Sturridge who was getting injured and struggling to keep his place in the team. Ba was on fire, and with a £7.5m release clause seemed like the best buy on the market for us.

I think it's easier to offload Ba than Torres, and because we didn't spend much on Ba we shouldn't be losing out on a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    Just read apparently Leicester have made loan offer for Ba... Not that it'll get accepted. Probably not true but it's amusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Ba is nowhere near as good as Torres.

When Torres was on his game last season you knew about. He creates space, went past players with ease and has good link-up play, and when he is on that form, which he consistently showed towards the end of last season, it gives everyone a boost.

Ba by contrast doesn't really offer much. He only scored 2 in 14 in the EPL. Considering we bought him whilst he's in his best form supposedly, that's not a good return.

I'd rather Ba leave, but then again Ba doesn't have Torres' wages...
    i do agree with everything you've said here , but the reason why i don't like Torres is what ive highlighted in your post. when he's on his game he is good yes , but he's barely ever on his game ! we need someone who is almost always on their game from August-May , not someone who goes August-March doing nothing , gets kicked in the face ( ok may not have been March but whenever it was ) , then springs into action. consistency is an issue for Torres , that said he's very selfless which is good.

plus he is definitely not worth £50 million haha , what was the transfer fee for Ba ?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone reading into the fact that Schurrle took De Bruyne's shirt number?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Saw this comment on another message board explaining why strikers like Cavani, Torres, etc. won't/wouldn't work at Chelsea.

edit: upon reading more of it, a lot of is just BS; ignore. :rolleyes:

Hazard, Mata and Oscar are the problem. They bring the ball too far too close to the box and make it a tiki-taka affair while ignoring Torres's runs. Professional football is all about timing. Look at Torres's runs; he makes the correct run at the correct time but he is hardly picked out by the midfielders at the correct time because the trio are usually too busy passing the ball back and forth and filling up space that can be used to make quick attacks. When you have one playmaker, he keeps his head up looking for that pass. Three playmakers means that the chance for a proper pass is usually lost because they may not have the ball at the proper time.

If you've ever played forward, especially a 9 like Torres, you'd understand how incredibly frustrating it is to play with 'playmakers' like the trio at Chelsea. You plan your run, make it at the correct time and do not receive the ball. It happens often, but when it borders 'always,' you undoubtedly stop trying because you get bored of trying (see what happened at Chelsea with Torres) to no positive end.

I am not absolving Torres of blame, but the Chelsea system has crippled him and will cripple any speedy forward like Torres, Cavani and Falcao, just to name stand out players right now. Lewandoski, I'm willing to get out of the way, would have a poor time at Chelsea, also, if he were ever picked up.

The one who I think may have a 'normal' scoring record for a striker is Robin van Persie. The Chelsea style is now similar to the Arsenal style where the midfield moves in unison with the striker, so there's no clear cut scorer. Check out van Persie's scoring record at Arsenal minus penalties (when Thierry Henry wasn't there). Check out the playing out style. It's a little different considering Fabregas's role, but overall, the picture, looks similar.

In turn, when Ferguson picked up van Persie, he isolated him and made him, in effect, a Torres-like forward. Look at the return he has gotten.
    Do people just not see this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Saw this comment on another message board explaining why strikers like Cavani, Torres, etc. won't/wouldn't work at Chelsea. Interesting thoughts tbh.
    Am I reading this correctly, or is the poster really crediting Ferguson for RVP's goal return last season(which was 5 less than the year before)? AF picked up a ready made player and just told him to play.

Torres was poor even before he joined Chelsea. See WC 2010 for example. So many myths and excuses areound Torres when the reality is sometimes strikers just lose it. May as well try to tactically explain why Michael Owen was so poor post 2005...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Am I reading this correctly, or is the poster crediting Ferguson for RVP's goal return last season(which was 5 less than the year before)? If so :palm:
    Lol I just noticed that. :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Lol I just noticed that. :L
    Genuinely one of the most retarded statements I've heard about football if that's what he's trying to say.

Stuff about Torres is a load of BS as well. As if Mata cant pick a final ball out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewingedhorse)
    Is jam still here???? Still making your silly predictions for teams n players? :laugh:
    We meet again, a new pseudonym this time mr ballsack.

(Original post by Malevolent)
    What predictions did he make?
    That chelsea will come above arsenal this season. Was close to making the top 4 prediction but city went above chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Genuinely one of the most retarded statements I've heard about football if that's what he's trying to say.

Stuff about Torres is a load of BS as well. As if Mata cant pick a final ball out.
    Yeah lol. He's not that fast anymore, he's not strong, and his touch isn't all very good either. When he gets a direct ball from the CM he does this

And doesn't make the right runs at all. See quite a lot of good crosses go to waste because Torres is nowhere to be seen.

Regardless, I still wouldn't be totally confident about Cavani coming here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    We meet again, a new pseudonym this time mr ballsack.

That chelsea will come above arsenal this season. Was close to making the top 4 prediction but city went above chelsea.
    Well call the cops because you just made an outrageous prediction :rolleyes:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.