Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Am I reading this correctly, or is the poster really crediting Ferguson for RVP's goal return last season(which was 5 less than the year before)? AF picked up a ready made player and just told him to play.

Torres was poor even before he joined Chelsea. See WC 2010 for example. So many myths and excuses areound Torres when the reality is sometimes strikers just lose it. May as well try to tactically explain why Michael Owen was so poor post 2005...:rolleyes:
    That article there was bull****. His best spell for us has been when hazard oscar and mata came.
    Add to that hazard can play as a direct winger when needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewingedhorse)
    yeah and what, by how many points did u finish above them mate? now that arsenal will get some proper signings next season you'll probably find yourself battling for fourth with tottenham. face it man nothing Chelsea can do will get them to the top.

Silly fans like you think you'll be champions new season lol! so delusional. I will laugh when u end up fighting for 4th like this season. Another 1 of ur "predictions" will be wrong
    Yes, because you're more knowledgeable than a multi-billion pound industry...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    That article there was bull****. His best spell for us has been when hazard oscar and mata came.
    Add to that hazard can play as a direct winger when needed.
    Indeed. I think I got it from bleacher report lolz

Stop spamming ffs. :dry:

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Napoli want Mikel as part of the deal.

ReputationRep:
    So have we got cavani yet? Some saying we brought him for 49 mill???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Apparently Napoli want Mikel as part of the deal.
    I wouldn't want us to pay nigh on £50 million for Cavani, but a deal with Mikel - say 30/35 million plus Mikel - would be acceptable in my eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Hindsight is always a wonderful thing. Last December we had Torres who wasn't netting, and Sturridge who was getting injured and struggling to keep his place in the team. Ba was on fire, and with a £7.5m release clause seemed like the best buy on the market for us.

I think it's easier to offload Ba than Torres, and because we didn't spend much on Ba we shouldn't be losing out on a lot of money.
    How many strikers do bayern have? 4 if we count muller too. We could fit those four fairly easily with rotation. Ba plays the FA and league cup ties(the thomas muller), lukaku and cavani for the league(gomez and mandzukic) and torres fill in for injured players and he can put in a shift on the wing if needed(claudio pizarro).

Its doable. City did it quite well in the 11/12 season as well with dzeko, balotelli, aguero and tevez(although he came back from his golfing trip round march).

ReputationRep:
    Does Muller play that often as a striker though? Either way though I understand. And Schurrle can play as both a winger and a striker - so he could be our Muller (just not as good).

We might not even get Cavani. Ba/Torres/Lukaku would be good strikeforce for the league and FA cup but what about Europe? No way in hell will Torres function well. It'll be too much on Lukaku (although Kroos + Badstuber had little CL experience and they did fine in their roles). I don't know about Ba -- he just isn't as efficient as he was with Newcastle. Maybe he'll get used to it.

I was about to compare our strikers to other league strikers, but then I remembered that we don't just rely on strikers to score goals, and we always have midfielders doing that too... so I guess we'll be fine there. And Lukaku outscored everyone on our team in the league so we'll be good there actually.

(Original post by billybo_h)
    I wouldn't want us to pay nigh on £50 million for Cavani, but a deal with Mikel - say 30/35 million plus Mikel - would be acceptable in my eyes.
    Sounds good. I'm sure they'd want more money than that 30m though. But either way €63m for Cavani is way too much -- I'd rather spend big money on other areas than just a striker, especially if the report about Mourinho only being able to spend 70m on players is true ('only' :rolleyes:). CB (Marquinhos/Mangala) + DLP.

ReputationRep:
    Does Muller play that often as a striker though? Either way though I get what you're saying. And Schurrle can play as both a winger and a striker - so he could be our Muller (just not as good).

We might not even get Cavani. Ba/Torres/Lukaku would be good strikeforce for the league and FA cup but what about Europe? No way in hell will Torres function well. It'll be too much on Lukaku (although Kroos + Badstuber had little CL experience and they did fine in their roles). I don't know about Ba -- he just isn't as efficient as he was with Newcastle. Maybe he'll get used to it.

I was about to compare our strikers to other league strikers, but then I remembered that we don't just rely on strikers to score goals, and we always have midfielders doing that too... so I guess we'll be fine there. And Lukaku outscored everyone on our team in the league so we'll be good there actually.

Sounds good. I'm sure they'd want more money than that 30m though. But either way €63m for Cavani is way too much -- I'd rather spend big money on other areas than just a striker, especially if the report about Mourinho only being able to spend 70m on players is true ('only' :rolleyes:). CB (Marquinhos/Mangala) + DLP.
    Tbf kroos is a special case. He played for bayer leverkusen a year on loan who were winter champions and he even got into the world cup squad for 2010. He was eased in by van gaal but he always had the quality to seam right in. It was just a matter of getting klose out of the team for him to play. Klose could have played a role which would have meant no mandzukic(I think klose is a better player than him in fact as a striker) but it was best for all parties if he had left.

Muller played up top for the barca legs, when bayern are ahead they put in gustavo and pushed muller up top taking out mandzukic. But yeah schurle can play that role if needed as the last resort striker.

I'm not really averse to either. If we had used sturridge we wouldn't have had a striker problem... so we could just use lukaku and make sure he doesn't do the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    In regards to strikers I do think the burden will be a lot less next year. If Hazard plays consistently the whole year, and not just and the beginning and end, I fully expect him to get around 20-25 goals in all competitions.

Also stating Lukaku wouldn't be up to the Champions League. It was Oscar's first time in the CL and he seemed by far our best player for the few games we played in there this year. Whether he'd continue his form into the knock-out stages remains to be seen. Even if Lukaku lacks experience, he still has is physique. Having that much raw strength and speed, and being that size surely helps when your struggling. You'll always make an impact.

ReputationRep:
    Tbf kroos is a special case. He played for bayer leverkusen a year on loan who were winter champions and he even got into the world cup squad for 2010. He was eased in by van gaal but he always had the quality to seam right in. It was just a matter of getting klose out of the team for him to play. Klose could have played a role which would have meant no mandzukic(I think klose is a better player than him in fact as a striker) but it was best for all parties if he had left.

Muller played up top for the barca legs, when bayern are ahead they put in gustavo and pushed muller up top taking out mandzukic. But yeah schurle can play that role if needed as the last resort striker.

I'm not really averse to either. If we had used sturridge we wouldn't have had a striker problem... so we could just use lukaku and make sure he doesn't do the same thing.
    Oh right, didn't realise he played for Leverkusen . Yeah Klose is very good but he's 36 now ain't he? Would've made sense to have him go out the most.

Think Alaba didn't have much experience too and he did well. Reckon Lukaku will do fine.

--

Still though, having them won't mean as much if we can't get a midfielder. It's imperative that we have someone who can fulfill the role if we continue with 4-2-3-1. I'm not aware if van Ginkel is the right man for it, but he's a very good passer and fairly responsible defensively. Whatever the case, having someone like that will certainly help us to control the midfield and maintain possession when we have a lead -- this is getting increasingly overlooked and is also one of the reasons why we've often failed to close games out last season.

Next year, Arsenal could together have Wilshere (DLP) + Fellaini, United with Carrick/Thiago (DLP)/Strootman, and City have Fernandinho (DLP) + Yaya Touré (not really a 'DLP' per se but still) now. Liverpool have bought Mkhitaryan, who primarily is an AM, but he can also play as a CM, who completely bossed our + dortmund's midfield, and ****ing outpaced Ramires of all people. We struggled against city, juventus, and Shahktar last season with the midfield and really should look to buy someone.

And if not, well José could try and bring out the best in our current crop of midfielders, have faith in youngsters, or convert existing players there. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    How many strikers do bayern have? 4 if we count muller too. We could fit those four fairly easily with rotation. Ba plays the FA and league cup ties(the thomas muller), lukaku and cavani for the league(gomez and mandzukic) and torres fill in for injured players and he can put in a shift on the wing if needed(claudio pizarro).

Its doable. City did it quite well in the 11/12 season as well with dzeko, balotelli, aguero and tevez(although he came back from his golfing trip round march).
    muller isnt exactly a striker though is he? Hes one of those strange German 'forwards' like Podolski/Schurrle who arent quite strikers but arent quite wingers/CAMs either. Top top player is Muller though.

ReputationRep:
    --

Still though, having them won't mean as much if we can't get a midfielder. It's imperative that we have someone who can fulfill the role if we continue with 4-2-3-1. I'm not aware if van Ginkel is the right man for it, but he's a very good passer and fairly responsible defensively. Whatever the case, having someone like that will certainly help us to control the midfield and maintain possession when we have a lead -- this is getting increasingly overlooked and is also one of the reasons why we've often failed to close games out last season.

Next year, Arsenal could together have Wilshere (DLP) + Fellaini, United with Carrick/Thiago (DLP)/Strootman, and City have Fernandinho (DLP) + Yaya Touré (not really a 'DLP' per se but still) now. Liverpool have bought Mkhitaryan, who primarily is an AM, but he can also play as a CM, who completely bossed our + dortmund's midfield, and ****ing outpaced Ramires of all people. We struggled against city, juventus, and Shahktar last season with the midfield and really should look to buy someone.

:
    Spot on I think. The one glaring weakness at Chelsea is your midfielders. Lampard is past it obviously, although still useful, and Mikel is just ****. Not convinced by Rameries either so you need a DM/B2B to go with Oscar. Maybe Essien is still up to it?

ReputationRep:
    So De Bruyne is staying. This makes me happy.

Hopefully he'll be converted into a central midfielder, and then we're all set.

ReputationRep:
    Spot on I think. The one glaring weakness at Chelsea is your midfielders. Lampard is past it obviously, although still useful, and Mikel is just ****. Not convinced by Rameries either so you need a DM/B2B to go with Oscar. Maybe Essien is still up to it?
    David luiz, he's probably the most complete out of our defensive midfielders.
    Mikel is good but for only one role(when we're defending a hell of a lot and need to slow a game down) but he's not that amazing like you say.

Oscar we'll see if he can handle the role, does it well enough for brazil I guess but I'm still unconvinced, for us in the CM role he's been pretty rubbish, probably due to his lack of physicality and his occasional erratic passing. We'll see this improve over the years, he can make many good passes and he's 21 atm but just needs to cut that bad passing out as he has the quality unlike another brazillian(ramires)

Also one thing I noticed about oscar is that he struggles to get past his man consistently. Only guys willing to take on their man is torres(on a good day) hazard and to an extent mata although his link up play makes up for him not needing to do this.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not convinced by Ramires either but José's a big fan of him apparently -- tried to to sign him whilst he was managing Inter + RM.

We were linked with De Rossi for our DM/B2B but that rumour doesn't seem to be active anymore... which is a bit of a shame. If not, then if José could coach him properly, David Luiz would do well in that role. Right now he seems to have problems with composure and lack of proper positioning. Another name could be Romeu who was looking good for us under AVB, but he looked to have qualities that make him more suited to a DLP rather than just a BBM.

Essien was good for RM but I'm not sure how his form will be here.

Already explained problems with Oscar in the DLP role -- I mean he possesses qualities to act as a playmaker but he's far too rash with his passing and is just too small to be there. Maybe in 3 seasons or so though...

Well, this wasn't for a 4-2-3-1 but a 4-3-3 which José was fond of with Chelsea. I made a diagram the other day outlining players for positions in the formation.

Honestly, I don't know what's best or what Mourinho thinks is best... guess we'll see.

ReputationRep:
    In Mourinho I trust <3

One thing I think we'll see more of in the coming season is formation rotation. Mourinho's always been a clever tactician and sets his team up differently depending on so many factors so I don't think we'll be fielding the 4231 week in week out as we have been in the past.

To be honest, I'm excited to see Essien return, I've always loved him as a character and it'll just be nice to have him back in the squad

What I am surprised about is Mourinho's apparent disliking of Mikel. Not on a personal level but the fact that he views him as a disposable player. I think it was Jam who said it up above, admittedly, Mikel's a bit of a one trick pony, not great for much in midfield but undeniably an excellent anchorman. He's very focused to constantly getting stuck into tough tackles, reclaiming and retaining possession and laying it off further up the field. Due to Jose's employment of defensive tactics to shut down games, I'm really surprised that a player of Mikel's style seems surplus to requirements.

I'd love to see a bit more of Romeu, an unfortunate injury just wrote off his season but I was really impressed by his abilities in the earlier games.

ReputationRep:
    Mikel was fantastic for Nigeria in both the Confed Cup and ACON.
    Sad to see he doesn't recreate the same form for us, even though he is played in a different role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Mikel was fantastic for Nigeria in both the Confed Cup and ACON.
    Sad to see he doesn't recreate the same form for us, even though he is played in a different role.
    I wouldn't say he was "fantastic" for Nigeria. He isn't a vital component to the team. He often does the same mistakes he does for Chelsea. Giving the ball away and bad tackles. He has his moments on occasions he's nothing special really he's slightly above average

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.