Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    Out of interest, how long do you think Mourinho will stay at Chelsea?
    Longer than last time. Said he wants to re-build the next generation at Chelsea. Roman has stated his intention to do it all again with a new, younger squad and to win with style.

Jose has nothing left to prove now, and Roman doesn't have many managers to chose from. He'll have learnt his lesson.

Love to see Zola come in and manager us when Jose leaves though.
    Or maybe Lamps depending on how long Jose stays for.

Expect this to be one of Jose's last club positions before going to manage Portugal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    Tbd I'd say Arsenal made Fabregas the player he is today, I know he was at Barca until he was about 16 but it wasn't like Pique where it was essentially a loan deal. Fabregas was one of the best CM around 09/10 because he emerged as a leader which he isn't at Barca.

As much as I utterly despise him I agree with Zurich that Reus wasn't homegrown. There's so much more you learn as a pro even in the German 3rd div than as a youth player, physiciality, mentality, pressure etc
    But if there was no la masia, fabregas wouldn't have even had the chance to come to arsenal. It's because of their extensive scouting network that he even got the chance to be a professional footballer in the first place.

I'd say that cases like him are attributed to both teams. Same with reus I feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Longer than last time. Said he wants to re-build the next generation at Chelsea. Roman has stated his intention to do it all again with a new, younger squad and to win with style.

Jose has nothing left to prove now, and Roman doesn't have many managers to chose from. He'll have learnt his lesson.

Love to see Zola come in and manager us when Jose leaves though.
    Or maybe Lamps depending on how long Jose stays for.

Expect this to be one of Jose's last club positions before going to manage Portugal.
    It's funny that mourinho has only managed for 13 years yet it's almost getting to the point that he may be winding down his career. Just goes to show his achievements and how quickly time flies.

I'd say between 4-7 years tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    It's funny that mourinho has only managed for 13 years yet it's almost getting to the point that he may be winding down his career. Just goes to show his achievements and how quickly time flies.

I'd say between 4-7 years tbh.
    That seems to be exactly what he's doing. There's literally nothing left for him to do. If he wins the CL with us he's the first manager to win it with 3 different teams. And I think that's his last target. After that he can just relax and try to bring through the new Chelsea generation.

Obviously he's certain to manage the national team. But he'll retire earlier than most managers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    That seems to be exactly what he's doing. There's literally nothing left for him to do. If he wins the CL with us he's the first manager to win it with 3 different teams. And I think that's his last target. After that he can just relax and try to bring through the new Chelsea generation.

Obviously he's certain to manage the national team. But he'll retire earlier than most managers.
    Personally I think he might as well. I really don't know how fergie went an extra 11 years after almost retiring in 2002. I'd have packed my bags in 1999 if I was fergie. I guess knocking liverpool off their perch was good motivation though.

I wonder how AVB's career will pan out. That would be something interesting. Him and klopp are the two managers I'm the most interested in at the moment. He's made up for his failure at chelsea, so I could see him going to a club like madrid in the future if he can get a top 4 spot or even a title at tottenham.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think he might as well. I really don't know how fergie went an extra 11 years after almost retiring in 2002. I'd have packed my bags in 1999 if I was fergie. I guess knocking liverpool off their perch was good motivation though.

I wonder how AVB's career will pan out. That would be something interesting. Him and klopp are the two managers I'm the most interested in at the moment. He's made up for his failure at chelsea, so I could see him going to a club like madrid in the future if he can get a top 4 spot or even a title at tottenham.
    I liked AVB, just think it was too much pressure for what was required and the wrong squad. Wonder how he would have coped with our current squad.

I'm just waiting to see how John Terry does as a manager, as it's clearly something he wants to do. Wonder if Jose will hire him as the youth team manager or in a similar capacity once he retires, or whether Terry will go to a different club. Who knows.

Think Lamps would make a great manager.

Klopp is just a charismatic SOB. I do wonder where he'd go after Dortmund though, assuming he eventually leaves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    I liked AVB, just think it was too much pressure for what was required and the wrong squad. Wonder how he would have coped with our current squad.

I'm just waiting to see how John Terry does as a manager, as it's clearly something he wants to do. Wonder if Jose will hire him as the youth team manager or in a similar capacity once he retires, or whether Terry will go to a different club. Who knows.

Think Lamps would make a great manager.

Klopp is just a charismatic SOB. I do wonder where he'd go after Dortmund though, assuming he eventually leaves.
    I think he'd have loved our new squad. He came at the wrong time. Ancelotti should have fulfilled his contract and AVB should have come in the next year imo.

Terry would be a weird one. Could see him as chelsea interim manager at some point I think.

Lampard I wouldn't be surprised if he's landed himself a top job like tottenham or arsenal early on in his career. The guy's likeable, great motivator on the pitch and is a smart man who knows his tactics. Yeah, that's the main thing about klopp. He's done well for himself so far though but I'm hoping he doesn't stagnate like deschamps did. Would like to see klopp stay at dortmund and build a legacy there to match bayern.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea are in a better position than man city manager wise despite city having a slightly better team so it'd be 50-50.

United don't have the strongest squad it all depends on their character and if moyes can instill that same confidence and attitude that fergie did(he should be able to imo) then I think that they'd be in the mix. United haven't finished under 3rd place since the premier league begun.
    Tad confused -- their squad isn't that brilliant (and Fergie helped the most), or they don't have the strongest in the league?

ReputationRep:

Shows how much of a competitor Fergie is though that he waited to get to 20 titles before he left. What a legend.

AVB hasnt really done anything in English football to suggest he'll be an exceptional manager. Long long way to go with him though. Klopp will surely be one of the all time greats if he continues like he is. Another great manager in the Bundesliga though is Christian Streich at Freiberg. Been reading into him and at the same age as Klopp, he's taken a tiny team like Freiberg within one win away from a Champions League spot. Seems even more of a character then Klopp as well from what Ive read. On the Bundesliga highlight show on ITV4, Ive seen Freiberg outplay Dortmund so he's got something about him.If he were to get a job at a sleeping giant like Hamburg/Schalke/Hertha then I could see him doing great things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Tad confused -- their squad isn't that brilliant (and Fergie helped the most), or they don't have the strongest in the league?
    Yeah, that's what I'm saying, united don't have the strongest squad in the league imo. They did well to win the title back but that doesn't mean they had the strongest squad in terms of player personel;

ReputationRep:
    This is crazy... The pessimism from Chelsea fans that is..

If Rafa was in charge I bet you'd all be wanting the title or him out... You'd not be happy with another season like last year...

This Chelsea side will be strengthened by the likes of Cavani- United have lost the worlds greatest manager... Manchester City are going through change... Yet you don't think you'll challenge?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this subject has already been discussed (probably has), but anyways, what do you guys predict the score will be between United and Chelsea?

To be honest I can see us getting something out of it, we will either get a draw or snatch a win.

This is basically down to the change in manager, I don't think United will have a very good start, until Moyes gets used to the team a little bit more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PotPon)
    This is crazy... The pessimism from Chelsea fans that is..

If Rafa was in charge I bet you'd all be wanting the title or him out... You'd not be happy with another season like last year...

This Chelsea side will be strengthened by the likes of Cavani- United have lost the worlds greatest manager... Manchester City are going through change... Yet you don't think you'll challenge?
    When did we say that we'll not challenge?
    I'm saying right now that we'll win the title next season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)

Really..?
    I'm sure Mourinho wants to break as many records and win as many trophies as possible. You didn't see SAF retiring despite having won everything at club level.

The fact that Mourinho isn't seen as the undisputed best manager in the world at the moment probably irks him (1.Real Madrid letting him go 2. Man Utd not appointing him 3. Man City not trying to appoint him etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Really..?
    I'm sure Mourinho wants to break as many records and win as many trophies as possible. You didn't see SAF retiring despite having won everything at club level.

The fact that Mourinho isn't seen as the undisputed best manager in the world at the moment probably irks him (1.Real Madrid letting him go 2. Man Utd not appointing him 3. Man City not trying to appoint him etc)
    Lets be honest, mourinho is though. There's nobody comparable to him atm in terms of acheivements. Guardiola had a barca team that just needed a shakeup. Heynckes has had an up and down career, Ancelotti is a great manager but his acheivements are that of what you'd expect of a top manager.

The main reason alex ferguson stayed was to knock liverpool off their perch I feel, then luckily teams like arsenal, chelsea and city have consistently challenged him over the years to prevent him from doing it so quickly. Then this season he wanted to get the title back from city and hopefully win the CL in the process.

ReputationRep:

Interesting short debate on Abramovich and dodgy money in football

ReputationRep:
    Lets be honest, mourinho is though. There's nobody comparable to him atm in terms of acheivements. Guardiola had a barca team that just needed a shakeup. Heynckes has had an up and down career, Ancelotti is a great manager but his acheivements are that of what you'd expect of a top manager.

The main reason alex ferguson stayed was to knock liverpool off their perch I feel, then luckily teams like arsenal, chelsea and city have consistently challenged him over the years to prevent him from doing it so quickly. Then this season he wanted to get the title back from city and hopefully win the CL in the process.
    Well my point was more that when he was moving to Real Madrid/once he won La Liga - every club in the world probably would've appointed him.

Since then however, that doesn't seem to be the case. Heck he wasn't even Abramovich's first choice! Seeing as Roman tried to entice Guardiola to Chelsea first.

I think Mourinho still has plenty of targets in mind - he might have won plenty of trophies but he'll still want more and hasn't achieved everything he'll have set himself yet. It's a greed thing for anyone competitive. "Won the CL? Yea great but now that I've won it, I want to win a few more."

ReputationRep:

Oh my god Luiz haha such a funny dude :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why some of you are confident on a title next season? You're all underestimating Moyes for whatever reason. He's got a great squad with some young players going through, a large transfer kitty and a team with a winning mentality. Everything is in place for him to succeed. Sure United had a big influence by ferguson but come on guys.

Moyes might fail, but whatever happens I'd rather united fade into Liverpool status than be like City or Chelsea. I would never want to be like them or their fans. United is bigger than that. You could win the title next season and even the treble, and it still wouldn't make a difference to your low status as a club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfroBlade)
    I don't know why some of you are confident on a title next season? You're all underestimating Moyes for whatever reason. He's got a great squad with some young players going through, a large transfer kitty and a team with a winning mentality. Everything is in place for him to succeed. Sure United had a big influence by ferguson but come on guys.

Moyes might fail, but whatever happens I'd rather united fade into Liverpool status than be like City or Chelsea. I would never want to be like them or their fans. United is bigger than that. You could win the title next season and even the treble, and it still wouldn't make a difference to your low status as a club.
    What do you mean "be like City or Chelsea" - Man Utd have always spent consistently on good players over the past decade. Status would mean F all if we win the treble.
    We would rather win the treble than have status like Man Utd.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.