Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Not much, I'm afraid, I don't have exact numbers but due to the immense amount of corruption in the government, the people are robbed on a daily basis essentially. As they say, practice what you preach and that seems to have no effect on the government. To the public they talk about ending terrorism, ending poverty but each new elected government does the same thing. Poverty is a massive issue there, which inevitably increased crime rates. People don't get paid that much which leads to mugging, kidnapping, robberies etc.

Yeah, you have a point. I should really look round the other threads a bit more.

I've lived in the UAE (Dubai) for the past 15 years or so and if you look at the different demographics, the local population is about 16% of the entire population and I won't lie the government does a lot for their people. That being said about 30% ish of the 5% are very rich with almost half of them being the bedouins (desert dwelling people, farmers, camel breeders etc) accommodate for 70% of their population. There are approximately 765,000 of them out of 8.2 million total population are farmers. Most of the rich are foreigners actually. American, British, Russian etc are scattered around the country. You see Porches, Lambourgini's, Ferrari's, Masterati's all the time. It's just another car here, especially in Dubai itself. The oil has helped a lot but their plan was to use tourism as a dependent source to drive the economy but the recession really killed that buzz.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD-LjX_K9Cg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Combination of watching current affairs programmes, documentaries and reading on the Internet. To be honest I didn't know about Standard Chartered until it was mentioned in the Liverpool thread. And I studied criminal justice and I have interests in other related fields so sometimes they relate.
    Ah okay! Makes sense!

To be honest there's a lot of hypocrisy in all walks of life and selective 'vision'. Let's see:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Countries impose extra-territorial liability on their citizens who look for underaged sex workers but it's seemingly okay to import consumer goods made by contemporary slavery. Both can be argued as abusive and, in many cases, people who undergo these jobs reduce their health and life expectancy. This may come up next year during the World Cup because Brazil has been known for having love motels where you can get a cheap room by the hour. They've been clamping down on the practice last I heard. See here:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-10764371

Faux moral outrage over the Wonga sponsorship of Newcastle Utd. Sure I hate them and people should not be exploited but I see so many stupid online betting adverts on Sky Sports News that I feel like emigrating to some where remote like Tuvalu or Vanuatu and get away from the constant consumerism that people do. But then football fans, or the general public, don't care that their consumer goods are manufactured by sweatshops? Some of these people smoke tobacco and BAT is well known for using children sourcing tobacco in Malawi.

I remember coming across anti-halalrage from meat eaters a while back since it was in the news not too long ago. Yes,because crab and lobsters being placed in boiling water alive is somuch more humane....

Outrage that a horse broke his leg at the Grand National questioning whether the races put needless risk to harm for the sake of our enjoyment. Yes, they do regardless. We have other means of racing – motorsport, athletics, cycling etc. sousing animals is not needed. It is the same as Asian countries using animals performing stupid tricks in circuses.

Apparently white veal is bad as some veggie wife of a politician moaned about it. Please continue drinking milk. There's a reason why vegans call dairy rape.

Countries imposing a legal age limit on the right to vote based on unfounded claims of perceived lack of cognition, whilst not necessarily taking away the right to vote from those who have impaired cognition, including illnesses that affect the older generations. It's easy to be ageist against the young.

Media campaigns moaning at the Chinese for using endangered species for medicine whilst happily ignore lab mice being used for experiments. What, you only care for animals because they're low on numbers now? Same with the seal hunting, that or it's because they are “cute and fluffy”.

I trust the journalist in the vide ohasn't bought a diamond ring for anyone. I would hate to contribute to rape camps in Zimbabwe. See here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/09/wo...abwe.html?_r=0 And then you have mineral exploitation in the DR Congo. Same stuff happens, just in a different country.

People moaning about Sharia law being used in Britain. The Jews have had their religion being used in somecivil law institutions for yonks. See here:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7233040.stm

So often have I felt like copying that Jackie Chan meme.
    I agree with everything here, but not so sure on the rat thing. I wouldn't continually 'moan' about it, but I can see what they're talking about. I mean, there are issues with ethics (the issue of pain and such), but is there not a beneficial outcome for humanity for testing on these animals? One being, testing new drugs to check for effectiveness + side effects (before being tested on humans)? And not to mention the abundance of these vermin it's not likely to have a negative effective on the whole. Whereas, how effective have these Chinese 'medicines' using the endangered species been? I haven't heard of too much -- and if anything, I've often heard that there isn't much evidence to support the use of those species and it's just a belief by the scientists themselves.

Can't believe some of the football related stuff though. Some of them were really unexpected.

ReputationRep:
    Also, this is good news:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...a-move-vitesse

José assures Van Ginkel that he'll have a good role.

(Original post by The Assassin)
    Also, this is good news:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...a-move-vitesse

José assures Van Ginkel that he'll have a good role.
    Was just about to come and post this. Intriguing and exciting, even for me! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I reckon we'd be 6th in all honesty. Tottenham have a better team. KDB needs to adapt, bit scared about having ake play a whole season as a starter. Liverpool would run us close for 6th place as it's only the 3 behind the striker, azpi, luiz and bertrand that would have the required experience.

Still a very very good young team.
    You mean 6th with that team or 6th with all the players we have right now?
    Apparently Van Ginkel has been promised a key role in the side... Wonder how many players in midfield have been promised a role now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Was just about to come and post this. Intriguing and exciting, even for me! :p:
    How many players in midfield has Jose promised a role now?
    It's becoming a bit worrying.

(Original post by cleveradam)
    How many players in midfield has Jose promised a role now?
    It's becoming a bit worrying.
    Lukaku, De Bruyne and van Ginkel, from what I remember. I would think he's telling porkies to at least one of the last two, but I don't know; perhaps he has a more radical plan of transformation than I realize. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    You mean 6th with that team or 6th with all the players we have right now?
    Apparently Van Ginkel has been promised a key role in the side... Wonder how many players in midfield have been promised a role now.
    With that team obviously, I expect the title with the players we all have tbh.

ReputationRep:
    With that team obviously, I expect the title with the players we all have tbh.
    Lol.

Your track record in predicting Chelsea's league position has been shocking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Lol.

Your track record in predicting Chelsea's league position has been shocking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not really last season I said we'll be 2nd sandwiched between the manc clubs and we were 3 points off it :yy: God damn it if we'd just beat QPR at home we'd have been second. They took more points off us than we did off them the past 2 seasons.
    The season before was shocking saying we'd come 2nd, although I did say we'd be in the CL final which made up for that decision.

ReputationRep:
    Not really last season I said we'll be 2nd and we were 3 points off it :yy: God damn it if we'd just beat QPR at home we'd have been second.
    The season before was shocking, although I did say we'd be in the CL final which made up for it.
    Yes it is, 11/12 you were like "we'll finish in the top 4 no questions asked", then last year i seem to remember you expecting the title at one point then still expecting to pass City when you were in a scrap for 4th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Yes it is, 11/12 you were like "we'll finish in the top 4 no questions asked", then last year i seem to remember you expecting the title at one point then still expecting to pass City when you were in a scrap for 4th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I never said I expected the title :rofl: Check almost every post I said title challenge at one point or that we should be title challenging with our team and went on benitez rants. It was eboracum who said that we would win the title under benitez even though I clearly said we won't win the title over united :rolleyes: probably find a couple posts about transition team and benitez bashing from me too if you searched hard enough.

11/12 I clearly said that was shocking in the post above and I said we'll be in the CL final and beat barca too. But we were 3 points behind city last season, we were a QPR win away from 2nd place as we had superior goal difference. So you can't say that's shocking.

ReputationRep:
    I think Chelsea should be expected to come first possibly second with a cup on the side. If i were to bet it would be Chelsea. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    In fact CB91. Check post 13 of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    I never said I expected the title :rofl: Check almost every post I said title challenge at one point or that we should be title challenging with our team and went on benitez rants. It was eboracum who said that we would win the title under benitez even though I clearly said we won't win the title over united :rolleyes: probably find a couple posts about transition team and benitez bashing from me too if you searched hard enough.

11/12 I clearly said that was shocking in the post above and I said we'll be in the CL final and beat barca too. But we were 3 points behind city last season, we were a QPR win away from 2nd place as we had superior goal difference. So you can't say that's shocking.
    Yes you did, and you know you did. And you know no one is going to check through your posts because people have better things to do (seen you say this more than once).

The CL final is irrelevant when predicting your league position and so is your "if only". I could say if only City hadnt given up half way through the season then they would have been miles clear of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Yes you did, and you know you did. And you know no one is going to check through your posts because people have better things to do (seen you say this more than once).

The CL final is irrelevant when predicting your league position and so is your "if only". I could say if only City hadnt given up half way through the season then they would have been miles clear of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess so but like I said post 13 of this thread on the first page was around march basically says what I'm saying now which was what I was saying throughout the season. I could also say that us still being in the CL costed us points for the top 4 as it was clear we sacrificed top 4 for the CL and FA CUP around the end of the season. It was an error in judgement saying we'd finish top 4 no questions asked in 11/12 season if that's what you want to hear but saying we'd finish 2nd last season wasn't an error in judgement

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Cavani is closer to joining PSG now. Good news tbh because I was pretty uncomfortable with the club spending 53m on one player. Should go for Lewandowski if we can and spend the rest on De Rossi. If not then we should go for someone like Gomez. Experienced, wouldn't cost a huge deal, proven in the CL and wouldn't hamper Lukaku's development.

Also, after giving it more thought, in our 4-2-3-1 formation, I'd prefer if we had the following lineup:

--Lukaku--
    --KDB--Mata--Hazard--

rather than Oscar on the wing/attacking mid. Think he should be put as a CM for most of the time and play back up to Mata other times. Good thing about the one above is that all three can play on the wing / AM to a good level (although LW with Mata isn't certain), unlike Oscar who's mainly suited to just the AM role. And this way, the idea of interchanging would probably be more effective. Oscar as a CM as well would mean the 3 amigos still would (hopefully) retain chemistry with each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Looks like Cavani is closer to joining PSG now. Good news tbh because I was pretty uncomfortable with the club spending 53m on one player. Should go for Lewandowski if we can and spend the rest on De Rossi. If not then we should go for someone like Gomez. Experienced, wouldn't cost a huge deal, proven in the CL and wouldn't hamper Lukaku's development.
    Somewhat skeptical about that, Cavani was quoted saying nothing would be done until he came back off holiday, and then within the next two days this PSG deal surfaces :dontknow:. Although if he does go to PSG maybe we can steal Ibra...

Lewandowski isn't for available I don't think, apparently a deal was reached with Real but Lewandowski rejected the contract as he only wants to go to Bayern. Dortmund won't sell to Bayern but would rather keep him for a year anyway so everyone's relatively happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    Somewhat skeptical about that, Cavani was quoted saying nothing would be done until he came back off holiday, and then within the next two days this PSG deal surfaces :dontknow:. Although if he does go to PSG maybe we can steal Ibra...

Lewandowski isn't for available I don't think, apparently a deal was reached with Real but Lewandowski rejected the contract as he only wants to go to Bayern. Dortmund won't sell to Bayern but would rather keep him for a year anyway so everyone's relatively happy.
    Yeah you're right. But it's just that throughout, we've been unwilling to meet the release clause whilst apparently PSG are ready to do so now :dontknow:

Ah, pity about Lewandowski.

ReputationRep:
    We're in advanced talks to sign John Ruddy according to skysports...

He'd be a more than capable 2nd choice obviously, but I do wonder why he'd want to come here when he had a starting role at Norwich.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.