Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Just shows how nuts the market really is atm, Mikel is never a 16m player.. PSG/Monaco throwing their ill gotten cash around has put an already out of control market into overdrive.

De Rossi was going for 30m last summer I thought? Would be strange for him now to go for 18m.

Absolutely no doubt, hilariously bad transfer. West Ham's 15m for Carroll is 2nd.

Liverpool have always been a strange one though, they always spend huge amounts even going back to 2002. Largely wasted as well, right back to the days of 12m for Diouf. Think their net spend since 1992 is 100m above Utd and 9 times that of Arsenal, which is just scandalously poor business. And the 100m they blew in 2011 was sugar-daddy money pure and simple.
    I think what this again shows is that the BBC are no longer to be trusted with regards to football reporting.

And yes, I think that Liverpool have been worse than us in terms of poor spending. The Dalglish era was possibly the worst display of manoeuvering in the transfer market ever.

(Original post by Nickini)
    I think that rumour was proven to be a load of *******s anyway, the Turkish newspaper which started the story had Mikel saying he wanted to join Galatasaray and felt it would be the right move etc. but he came forwards and denied any such quote. Apparently the Turkish media is notoriously bad for making up stories.

£11-12m is the figure that's been floating around for De Rossi which would be a steal, but I really don't think it'll happen. Last summer he'd recently signed a new 5-year contract, and I think him turning 30 next week with Roma having just signed Strootman as a replacement might be the reason for this much lower figure? :dontknow: Or of course, the more likely option, that it's a load of BS, we're not even in for him and £11m is a figure some random twitter journalist has pulled out of his arse.

Yup. At least with Torres and Shevchenko we looked to be signing top quality players, Andy Carroll on the other hand...
    Sure. See above. If it is a load of rot, I'm not too upset. I'm happy with our squad and think that it can win a title, if not the CL.

(Original post by iRush)
    Although, the funny thing is that Galatasary only a few weeks ago said they weren't willing to match Nani's 8.5 million valuation they wanted to pay 6. Assuming they couldn't afford Nani for 8.5, how on earth are they going to buy Mikel for 16, it makes no sense at all :curious:. I also read about the De Rossi deal being around 11-12. Looks less likely now but the media were raving on about him transferring through a few weeks ago. Could be another Cavani episode tbh.

Is it me or has the media been really off the ball this summer? Fabricating and twisting stories more than usual.
    Sure, sure. Again, see my first reply. I think the media are growing increasingly desperate and classless; they know the average fan on the street just wants something to talk about with his friends, and even if a rumour is complete rot it will get them talking - like Rooney obviously has. Although, this isn't a new thing - when Abramovich first joined us I heard us linked with every player under the sun - Henry for £80M, Van Nistelrooy for £45 million, Edgar Davids, Patrick Kluivert, Madrid's Ronaldo...all absolute sensationalist unfounded nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    For him we do not shed a tear.

It's a shame, the year we won the league under Ancelotti he was really good. I'm not sure what happened to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)

Liverpool have always been a strange one though, they always spend huge amounts even going back to 2002. Largely wasted as well, right back to the days of 12m for Diouf. Think their net spend since 1992 is 100m above Utd and 9 times that of Arsenal, which is just scandalously poor business. And the 100m they blew in 2011 was sugar-daddy money pure and simple.
    Thank you nobody realises this but the money was from FSG not Liverpool

(Original post by sevchenko)
    So what were Chelsea were doing 10 years ago? Monaco are doing the same thing its just the transfer fees and wages have been hugely inflated.

"buying as many players as we could to try to win the league the very next season."
    :facepalm2:

Season 03/04 Chelsea's total expenditure £121m. Crespo £16.8m, Veron for £15m, Damien Duff for £17m these fees are small by our modern standards but back then this was top dollar at inflated prices then you spent £102m in 04/05. Its completely unnatural to spend this kinds of money because without a sugar daddy you can't spend crazy money. Chelsea are no better than Monaco, just as bad as eachother imo

£35m for Carroll thing was overpriced but it was Liverpool's hard earned cash to waste, it was a bad transfer due to poor management tbf they would never have bought him if some clowns didn't pay £50m for Torres. How the fee got to £50m I will never know.
    Ok were we a newly promoted team? No we were 4th at the time. Was it Liverpool's money seeing as they could only afford poulson and jovanovic before FSG took them over? No :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    So what were Chelsea were doing 10 years ago? Monaco are doing the same thing its just the transfer fees and wages have been hugely inflated.

"buying as many players as we could to try to win the league the very next season."
    :facepalm2:

Season 03/04 Chelsea's total expenditure £121m. Crespo £16.8m, Veron for £15m, Damien Duff for £17m these fees are small by our modern standards but back then this was top dollar at inflated prices then you spent £102m in 04/05. Its completely unnatural to spend this kinds of money because without a sugar daddy you can't spend crazy money. Chelsea are no better than Monaco, just as bad as eachother imo

£35m for Carroll thing was overpriced but it was Liverpool's hard earned cash to waste, it was a bad transfer due to poor management tbf they would never have bought him if some clowns didn't pay £50m for Torres. How the fee got to £50m I will never know.
    Please GTFO, you came in here looking for an argument,. Theres no doubt that Hulks price is inflated and that we are one of the top spenders in Europe but Monaco has outdone everyone.
    Now piss off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    I think what this again shows is that the BBC are no longer to be trusted with regards to football reporting.

And yes, I think that Liverpool have been worse than us in terms of poor spending. The Dalglish era was possibly the worst display of manoeuvering in the transfer market ever.

Sure. See above. If it is a load of rot, I'm not too upset. I'm happy with our squad and think that it can win a title, if not the CL.

Sure, sure. Again, see my first reply. I think the media are growing increasingly desperate and classless; they know the average fan on the street just wants something to talk about with his friends, and even if a rumour is complete rot it will get them talking - like Rooney obviously has. Although, this isn't a new thing - when Abramovich first joined us I heard us linked with every player under the sun - Henry for £80M, Van Nistelrooy for £45 million, Edgar Davids, Patrick Kluivert, Madrid's Ronaldo...all absolute sensationalist unfounded nonsense.
    Yes, its almost like a new cycle begins with them. It's got to a point where I don't think you can take a potentially real transfer serious till the clubs come out and make official statements. Lol Ronaldo, that's just ridiculous. I'm really happy with the squad, we have a lot of depth this season, compared to last year and the thing is we talked about De Rossi being a transfer because Romeu is gone and/or Mikel was leaving but if Mikel stays (which is looking likely), we have Essien, Luiz and Ramires if you really want to. KdB, Lampard, Oscar and MvG can play in the other half of the double pivot, so we're set.

I finally feel like we're covered in most if not all areas without making an enourmous amount of signings.

(Original post by KingMessi)
    For him we do not shed a tear.

It's a shame, the year we won the league under Ancelotti he was really good. I'm not sure what happened to him.
    We do not.

Yeah, he was pretty good, scored 15 goals that year. No idea what happened next season. I think people realised, just play him on to his left foot and he not know what to do lol.

ReputationRep:
    Essien, Luiz, Ramires, Mikel....

Really, the only person I'd like to see regularly playing there is Luiz, but perhaps he's more suited to a CB if José can discipline him properly. Essien... meh. Can't really expect him to start regularly either. Mikel is just bad and Ramires is good but just doesn't quite do it for me as a top guy. Wrt to ramires, I think a lot of people (not here actually) overrate him. Just looking at other sites and people say how he is such an amazingly dynamic midfielder and should start every single game with him being part of all the parternships etc.

ReputationRep:
    http://hamrofootball.com/2013/07/16/...ted-at-london/

De Rossi spotted in London apparently.

EDIT: Looks like I'm 2 days late to this party.

http://as.com/diarioas/2013/07/18/en...04_713460.html

And AS have us launching a bid for Higuain, with Higuain apparently quoted as saying "Mourinho wants me there". Thoughts on him?

ReputationRep:

And AS have us launching a bid for Higuain, with Higuain apparently quoted as saying "Mourinho wants me there". Thoughts on him?
    No, no, no and no. Do not want Higuain.

ReputationRep:
    http://hamrofootball.com/2013/07/16/...ted-at-london/

De Rossi spotted in London apparently.

EDIT: Looks like I'm 2 days late to this party.

(Original post by Tweek)
    No, no, no and no. Do not want Higuain.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...him-at-Chelsea

Here you go, its on Sky now =o

ReputationRep:
    x
    (Original post by jam277)
    Thank you nobody realises this but the money was from FSG not Liverpool

Ok were we a newly promoted team? No we were 4th at the time. Was it Liverpool's money seeing as they could only afford poulson and jovanovic before FSG took them over? No :rofl:
    I deliberately left out the newly promoted thing because it's irrelevant. So what if Monaco are newly promoted it's got nothing to do with the argument. PSG spent €212.6m before they won Ligue 1, City spent £314m before they won the PL they weren't newly promoted. My original point is that all of you are the same and just as bad as eachother.

I AGREE £35M FOR CARROL WAS WAY OVERPRICED but will liverpool be doing it again? Chelsea didn't learn their lessons from Shevchenko before they went for Torres. Why? because money is immaterial to chelsea

I should go back to the Man U thread embarrassing myself ? Get a grip mate this is a internet forum

(Original post by Kelani)
    Please GTFO, you came in here looking for an argument,. Theres no doubt that Hulks price is inflated and that we are one of the top spenders in Europe but Monaco has outdone everyone.
    Now piss off.
    I never denied Hulk was overpriced go back and get your facts straight. It just seems like Monaco has outdone everyone because transfer fees and wages have been inflated for everyone, The average wage of the PL footballer has grown. Thanks to Global scouting and oil rich teams the going rate of any player of proper quality is £20+.

I wasn't looking for an argument, there's no need to be rude just because I have a opposing view. Telling a person to "piss off" over the internet is just sad. Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    This is why we don't get nice things on this thread :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I deliberately left out the newly promoted thing because it's irrelevant.
    No. You deliberately left it out to completely change what I said in an attempt to make me look hypocritical so you could jump in with your facepalm emoticon. Deliberately misquoting people to suit your agenda doesn't make you look smart pal, far from it.

So what if Monaco are newly promoted it's got nothing to do with the argument.
    How does it not? Monaco are attempting to go from a Ligue 2 squad to one which can win Ligue 1 in a single season by spending an obscene amount of money on very few players, far more than we did (as I pointed out in my previous post). We came 4th in the 02/03 season so we at least we had a relatively decent squad to build from, rather than one full of second division standard players. Again, I am not defending our spending, no idea why you seem incapable of understanding that.

I AGREE £35M FOR CARROL WAS WAY OVERPRICED but will liverpool be doing it again? Chelsea didn't learn their lessons from Shevchenko before they went for Torres. Why? because money is immaterial to chelsea
    As I pointed out to you before, Torres and Shevchenko were indeed overpriced, but not to the extent of Hulk (the whole point of this ffs) or Carroll, and more importantly were both flops: we thought we were paying the premium for top-quality players which would be worth the expense. This differs from Monaco, who've spent loads of money at Hulk, an average player, just because they can. And with regards to what I've bolded, what are you suggesting, that we never spend any large sum money on a player again because Shevchenko/Torres have flopped in the past? Notice how we never actually bidded for Cavani or Falcao because of their price...

I wasn't looking for an argument, there's no need to be rude just because I have a opposing view. Telling a person to "piss off" over the internet is just sad. Grow up.
    ...So responding to us discussing how Hulk was no way in hell worth so much with "Oh the Irony" and then going on to quote three Chelsea fans saying "Its unbelievable a chelsea fan can criticize Monaco for spending too much on a player." isn't looking for an argument? :rolleyes:

This debate has been had literally hundreds of times in this thread alone. We're all bored of it hence none of us appreciating you spewing your biased, ill-informed and poorly constructed argument. Please don't bother to reply, or if you are, how abut this time actually addressing the points raised against you instead of just ignoring them because you have no retort, as I really can't be bothered to constantly repeat myself.

ReputationRep:
    Well done Nickini

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Yes, its almost like a new cycle begins with them. It's got to a point where I don't think you can take a potentially real transfer serious till the clubs come out and make official statements. Lol Ronaldo, that's just ridiculous. I'm really happy with the squad, we have a lot of depth this season, compared to last year and the thing is we talked about De Rossi being a transfer because Romeu is gone and/or Mikel was leaving but if Mikel stays (which is looking likely), we have Essien, Luiz and Ramires if you really want to. KdB, Lampard, Oscar and MvG can play in the other half of the double pivot, so we're set.

I finally feel like we're covered in most if not all areas without making an enourmous amount of signings.
    Indeed. I really don't have much interest in the transfer window, mostly for this reason. I occasionally check to see what transfers are official, but that's it. Most of the knowledge of rumours I have comes from the threads on here. I hope Romeu makes it, though. He'd be an ideal replacement for Mikel.

Imagine us with the 2003 Ronaldo da Lima. :sogood:

(Original post by iRush)

We do not.

Yeah, he was pretty good, scored 15 goals that year. No idea what happened next season. I think people realised, just play him on to his left foot and he not know what to do lol.
    Quite a few good goals were scored by him as well. I remember a lovely header against Blackburn from fifteen or sixteen yards. Oh well. We have better players now and he was rather disagreeable in his last year here.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like Higuain tbh, with Ba making way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    I'd like Higuain tbh, with Ba making way.
    Wouldn't mind this either, although not for the €40m fee RM apparently want.

Talking of Real, their new away kit looks...familiar...

ReputationRep:
    It takes an extreme form of chauvinism to argue that what PSG, Monaco are doing is any different to what Chelsea did (do).

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't mind this either, although not for the €40m fee RM apparently want.

Talking of Real, their new away kit looks...familiar...

I was convinced I was looking at models modelling the Chelsea kit for a while when I initially saw this :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Most clubs have had some external funding in their history. Usually it's the demographic of the wealth that people only acknowledge. In the past we had fans of the club pouring their own personal wealth into their clubs and people will usually only cite Jack Walker for Blackburn because it is the Premier League era. Plenty of examples existed way before him.

It will be interesting to see with Monaco because they kicked up a fuss that the French authorities have taken away their tax free status. There are plenty of ways, on a national level, that clubs can gain advantages over clubs abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    It takes an extreme form of chauvinism to argue that what PSG, Monaco are doing is any different to what Chelsea did (do).
    Did you read what we said? As I didn't say we were doing anything different(bar trying to win ligue 1 in your first season back there) all we said is that £52 for hulk is a joke I know you know and sev knows

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.