Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    :sigh: Guys, you know that there's no reason at all to carry out debates filled with provocation like the one from yesterday. People argue, get pissed off and then blame the moderation team, but this happens when you choose to engage with inflammatory posts rather than ignore and report them. You guys are better than that, please don't foster unnecessary bickering. :puppyeyes:

Anyway, what's the news on de Bruyne? I read that there was no ligament damage, but how serious is it then? It would be a massive shame if he had an injury-plagued season just when he seems to be being given the chance to break through...
    Pull your finger out and ban Zurich then. 90% of the arguments on here revolve around him.

(Original post by Musester)
    Pull your finger out and ban Zurich then. 90% of the arguments on here revolve around him.
    It takes two to tango. If you think a certain post breaks the rules, report it. If you think a member is simply annoying, put them on your ignore list. There is absolutely no reason to throw around personal attacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    It takes two to tango. If you think a certain post breaks the rules, report it. If you think a member is simply annoying, put them on your ignore list. There is absolutely no reason to throw around personal attacks.
    I for one am sorry to the mods and Chelsea fans for my part yesterday. I honestly didn't intend to 'troll' the Chelsea fans on here, all I wanted to do was voice my opinion and I didn't realise that it would incite such an angry response. Rather than respond I should have just left.

Clearly the lack of football is making us all a bit cranky.:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    https://twitter.com/debruynekev/stat...78933537062912
    Leaving to London tonight. Fully medical check up there. Feeling ok. Hopefully a good result after the check up
    De Bruyne is flying back to London for a checkup. Hopefully it's just a precaution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Why would you rather see him in the centre?
    De bruyne seemed pretty ineffective when played out wide in the first friendly. And i reckon mata can do a better job out wide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Play mata on the right. We then allow him to cut in and thread diagonal passes and go for goal which is easier than on the left. De bruyne plays in centre but will swap positions with the other 2

ReputationRep:
    Why play with a striker at all? lol. Keep possession forever.

Mata - Hazard - De Bruyne
    Oscar - Ramires
    Essien
    Cole - Luiz - Ivanovic - Azpi

Think both KDB and Hazard have placed the false 9 at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Ramires and keep possession doesnt work.

ReputationRep:
    And Essien is dire.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Ramires and keep possession doesnt work.
    He's been so poor even in pre-season. Brazil were right to drop him from Confeds cup.

ReputationRep:
    Ramires is better than Lampard tbh.

And questionable whether Mikel is an improvement on Essien.

Wouldn't mind seeing either Oscar/KDB converted into a CM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Play mata on the right. We then allow him to cut in and thread diagonal passes and go for goal which is easier than on the left. De bruyne plays in centre but will swap positions with the other 2
    Yes I agree. The idea of interchanging is very good. With those 3 it'll be better than with Oscar because all of them can play out wide better than he can. Then Oscar is put in CM or as a backup to Mata.

--

Van Ginkel plays in CM every other game or whatever. Not too keen on Ramires -- think he should be the supersub that covers multiple positions rather than starting most games. Can't expect Frank to start too much either so he'll probably be subbed for most his game time? (Although he'll probably start more at the beginning of the season). Then Essien/Luiz will play deeper along side the other midfielders mentioned. Still think we need Gustavo/De Rossi though.

Then rotate the trio having the players Iso mentioned.

This is assuming a 4-2-3-1 formation. If we switch to a 4-3-3 often too then we can have Schurrle playing on the wing and have more players in the centre of midfield.

(Original post by Kelani)
    De bruyne seemed pretty ineffective when played out wide in the first friendly. And i reckon mata can do a better job out wide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    *facepalm*

I misunderstood you. For some reason I assumed when you said centre, you meant centre of midfield rather than the AM of the trio. In that case, I agree with you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    And Essien is dire.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tbf he's better than ramires, but if we could get de rossi or someone in that mould I wouldn't be averse to dropping him.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, what is actually good about oscar? Just wondered to myself. He's had a season to bed in tbf so will get better. But all I see is potential but not really ability. He's not an amazing passer of the ball, he's not that great in dribbling the ball in comparison to our other players, he's not got a good core so gets muscled off the ball by stronger players and fades out of games for most of the match. He seems to just be added there because we bought him for a bit and he's not got the spotlight compared to the likes of hulk/torres/hazard/mata;/van persie when they were bought by their respective clubs.
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Ramires is better than Lampard tbh.

And questionable whether Mikel is an improvement on Essien.

Wouldn't mind seeing either Oscar/KDB converted into a CM.
    Na man, Is there a single thing that ramires is good at that doesn't involve running around a lot? I like CM's to have a shred of technical ability. Ramires has next to none(bar the important goal or two and he has that world class goal from time to time) but he's a guy you need when you're an underdog, not the guy you need if you want to dominate teams. Mikel isn't an improvement on essien though tbf. Not at all. Oscar loses the ball too much for me to play in CM and has little strength. He hits the gym and I can see a role for him as a CM.

But he doesn't dominate games on his own, you could see that from mata, from hazard, from luiz, from lampard and from KDB but I've not seen a game that oscar has dominated in. At the start of the season it was because he was put in the centre and his marking and defensive work helped to nullify the likes of pirlo/arteta/carrick but his offensive work isn't that great imo. I think a season bedding in would help though and he'll shine this season if he gets games.
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    He's been so poor even in pre-season. Brazil were right to drop him from Confeds cup.
    Haven't really looked at ramires in pre-season. Mourinho likes him though but I think he's going to be used when we face bayern in the supercup and if we get city/barca/madrid in the CL at some point this season but bar that I don't see the point of using him too much.

ReputationRep:
    @The Assassin - LOL

Ramires is underrated in my opinion. He's our best central midfielder. Lampard and Essien are past it, Van Ginkel has potential and Mikel is mediocre but gets the job done in a holding midfield role. Keep in mind that Ramires natural position is not in the double pivot of a 4231 and I reckon he will boss it in a 433 formation.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone said Lampard was past it at the start of last season. He was our third highest scorer with his highest goal tally since 2009-2010. The highest English goalscorer in the league, Joint 6th highest goalscorer, banging them in from 20-25 yards and our most consistent player from around January to late February, start of March. I'd argue that he's not as technical as he used to be and obviously not as fit but still our best CM on his day. Ramires can be too, but last season in particular he wasn't consistent enough.

I still drool over his goal against Barca in 2012 though, such an underrated finish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    Everyone said Lampard was past it at the start of last season. He was our third highest scorer with his highest goal tally since 2009-2010. The highest English goalscorer in the league, Joint 6th highest goalscorer, banging them in from 20-25 yards and our most consistent player from around January to late February, start of March. I'd argue that he's not as technical as he used to be and obviously not as fit but still our best CM on his day. Ramires can be too, but last season in particular he wasn't consistent enough.

I still drool over his goal against Barca in 2012 though, such an underrated finish.
    This. The idea that Lampard is past it seems to me to be spouted by those who either listen to media platitudes or look at age only; it isn't at all supported by statistics and is really just a load of gibberish. Lampard is still consistently a more productive player than Mikel, Ramires, and Luiz - in fact, all three put together. I concede he's not the most mobile player, and can thus be dominated a little by a really good, dynamic midfield - i.e. Bayern Munich - but this is easily solved by having someone especially dynamic alongside him. His technical ability is second to none of our defensive midfielders and the idea that he's not worth a place is ill-founded.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, and he's still someone who we can rely on 8 or 9 times out of 10 when we need a goal or assist. He clearly still works very hard and I think Jose coming back will spur him on even more. Hopefully he can nurture Mceachren a bit more as well as Van Ginkel, who has been compared to him.

I actually can't and don't want to imagine Chelsea without Frank.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that Frank Lampard isn't past it, that was just me trying to list our midfielders and lamps seemed to fit in that category with Essien. But consider that since the start of last season he is one year older and has been injured for the majority of this preseason. I know we're only two weeks in and i'm not against Lampard but Ramires, at the moment, possesses more ability to consistently perform.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/20...fer-news-loans

Josh McEachran and Lucas Piazon to go back out on loan, along with Traore and Wallace as they lack work permits. Chalobah also might go back out on loan, but Mourinho reckons he "could be in our squad already" so he might end up staying.

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/20...spain-friendly

And it's possible we might be without Mata/Torres/Azpi for the season opener vs Hull due to an ill-timed friendly between Ecuador and Spain.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.