Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Suarez is the fitter player, doesn't disappear in matches, and drifts past players with ease. In the tight/compact spaces that our players have to deal with virtually every match, he'd open things up a lot better than Rooney would. And he's younger.

But yeah, Suarez is definitely more troublesome, and Rooney is a player who'd thrive under Mourinho.

We'd have too many strikers in any case.
    I completely dismiss the idea that Rooney is/was ever unfit. SAF had been trying to reduce Utd's reliance on Rooney since 2010 hence we haven't seen the best of him in recent seasons. Mou will give him what he wants and we will see the best of him at Chelsea if he does move.

ReputationRep:
    Could've taken a risk and gone for Bony if we wanted a striker tbh. But Rooney would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Could've taken a risk and gone for Bony if we wanted a striker tbh. But Rooney would be great
    Tbh with lukaku there's no point for bony. While I have no doubt he'll be a hit he's no the one for us right now. Same with the guys saying we should get benteke(who's fallen out of the media spotlight lately for some reason)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Tbh with lukaku there's no point for bony. While I have no doubt he'll be a hit he's no the one for us right now. Same with the guys saying we should get benteke(who's fallen out of the media spotlight lately for some reason)
    Benteke said he would stay

I think Rooney would be a super signing for you lot. Hell you may as well go for Suarez I think Liverpool would rather sell to you then Arsenal.

Kinda curious how Mourinho is gonna set up the team. Hear whispers that Sami Khedira could be Mourinho target. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I have stupidly high expectations this season, I don't know why, but I feel we may not live up to it. However I do think the league is ours for the taking.

One more thing, our midfield is so OP, just watched some highlights from the friendlies that I missed, we are playing terrifically.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps, yes, they are similar in a sense but if we wanted a prolific goal scorer (31 goals in 29 appearances is pretty damn good even if it is the dutch league), then for just 12m he could've been an option. I think he's 25 as well so it's not exactly if still in development compared to Lukaku.

I wonder if Ibra will be happy about Cavani there. Even though he's 31 I still wouldn't mind going for him if the Rooney deal didn't work out. He's not exactly a long term solution but neither is Rooney tbf.

ReputationRep:

I wonder if Ibra will be happy about Cavani there. Even though he's 31 I still wouldn't mind going for him if the Rooney deal didn't work out. He's not exactly a long term solution but neither is Rooney tbf.

Imagine some of the press conferences with Mourinho and Ibrahimovic :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Benteke said he would stay

I think Rooney would be a super signing for you lot. Hell you may as well go for Suarez I think Liverpool would rather sell to you then Arsenal.

Kinda curious how Mourinho is gonna set up the team. Hear whispers that Sami Khedira could be Mourinho target. Thoughts?
    Suarez is a scumbag, our club is ridden with men that lack integrity, no need to get another player who just makes our club more hated, plus he physically assaulted one of our players which pretty much puts that out of the question. Would rather go for rooney, while he's been annoying he has right to be unhappy, he's not playing in his preferred position and was being benched for big games.

From the preseason friendlies I see our team set up as a hybrid, somewhat like bayern munich over real madrid, I think he'll learn his lessons from a counter attacking game as people used to sit deep against real and it became really hard to break the other team down. So I think it'll be a more balanced game especially considering our players seem to suit both styles.

What you will see is us playing on the counter when terry plays, due to our deeper line when he plays and us playing a possession game when luiz and cahill play due to their pace and ball playing ability... I can say one thing for sure and it's that we'll be pretty exciting to watch this season. Expect us to be dominating opposition for most games.

Just hoping we can get a good run going and avoid losing to united early on.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine some of the press conferences with Mourinho and Ibrahimovic :coma:
    Just unimaginable :coma:

Tbf Ibra is a **** too but I'd rather have him than Suarez.

ReputationRep:

Ibra is a **** but hes not to the absolute scum bag level of Suarez :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    If you could sign one striker, who would it be for chelsea? (vaguely realistically)

Personally Ibra - Class act, can hold it up and score. Short-term but realistically i can't see a better candidate.

ReputationRep:
    Suarez is a scumbag, our club is ridden with men that lack integrity, no need to get another player who just makes our club more hated, plus he physically assaulted one of our players which pretty much puts that out of the question. Would rather go for rooney, while he's been annoying he has right to be unhappy, he's not playing in his preferred position and was being benched for big games.

From the preseason friendlies I see our team set up as a hybrid, somewhat like bayern munich over real madrid, I think he'll learn his lessons from a counter attacking game as people used to sit deep against real and it became really hard to break the other team down. So I think it'll be a more balanced game especially considering our players seem to suit both styles.

What you will see is us playing on the counter when terry plays, due to our deeper line when he plays and us playing a possession game when luiz and cahill play due to their pace and ball playing ability... I can say one thing for sure and it's that we'll be pretty exciting to watch this season. Expect us to be dominating opposition for most games.

Just hoping we can get a good run going and avoid losing to united early on.
    Do you still agree we don't need a striker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manty)
    Do you still agree we don't need a striker?
    Yeah I do. We have 3. Torres and ba are decent backups and lukaku needs gametime. We can go for rooney if we want to but we have to get rid of torres or ba(probably ba)

Tbh ibra's no more of a **** than mourinho is. He's a guy who's confident in his skills and not afraid to show it off using words and actions on and off the pitch, I don't see anything wrong with that. What I think is wrong is complete unprofessionalism, like what suarez shows on and off the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    Not a good idea despite his quality, imagine if we actually bought him, all it would take would be a photo of him and JT laughing together and the Daily Mail would implode

ReputationRep:
    Suarez [...] physically assaulted one of our players.
    He could have been killed

ReputationRep:
    Would Suarez not be a better fit than Rooney at Chelsea?

Would give RA more attractive football and he has a great work rate up top.

Obviously he bit a Chelsea player but could the club get around that? Or is it more of a case that Rooney could be a poster boy for the club and sell shirts but Suarez isn't going to be the most popular player to represent the club around the world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Obviously he bit a Chelsea player but could the club get around that? Or is it more of a case that Rooney could be a poster boy for the club and sell shirts but Suarez isn't going to be the most popular player to represent the club around the world?
    Partly the reason, the guys not too popular round these parts. I would have taken him until that incident. He's another carlos tevez anyway who throws his toys out the pram when he wants to go.

For footballing reasons I would take suarez, but if he's going to get 8 match bans every season and disgrace the image of the club he's not worth it imo.

ReputationRep:
    Partly the reason, the guys not too popular round these parts. I would have taken him until that incident. He's another carlos tevez anyway who throws his toys out the pram when he wants to go.

For footballing reasons I would take suarez, but if he's going to get 8 match bans every season and disgrace the image of the club he's not worth it imo.
    I suppose between his image, the Ivanovic bite and the Torres failure, Chelsea will be very hesitant to buy him from Liverpool.

He probably would help you win the title though.

ReputationRep:
    Has Mourinho been favouring any strikers pre season? Hoping Lukaku for Fantasy football reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    Has Mourinho been favouring any strikers pre season? Hoping Lukaku for Fantasy football reasons.
    Don't use ba. That's the only clue. I think that they'll get equal gametime. I'd say that torres has performed fairly well so far, I think by our madrid match we'll know.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.