Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Just means there's even less of an excuse for those who live closer to their clubs to, you know, actually attend a match. Authorities can call off matches very late, usually because of weather conditions not permitting the match to start, so it's ideal to live not too far away. Plus public transport and the cost of running your own transport is prohibitive for many.
    Yes, fine, and that's all well and good, but when people criticise others for supporting teams far away, those sorts of pragmatic concerns are hardly at the top of their mind. Sure, I'd love it if more Londoners made an effort to attend Brentford - it'd help the club's finances and the wider community no end - but it's not, and should never be, such a big issue that some would rather follow and watch United.

ReputationRep:
    So, real madrid match, predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugar-n-spice)
    Nani and Valencia are better wingers and Van Persie and Hernandez are better strikers, I don't deny Rooney is a great player but lets say there are tiers, in the top tier there is Ronaldo and Messi, next tier there are players like Buffon and Ibrahimovic (in their respective primes), Fabregas, Xavi, Cavani etc, Rooney is in the tier below that. Even looking at that picture comparing him with Mata, I'd say Mata has the edge, plus he's younger.

This is so idiotic it's unbelievable

http://www.fanatix.com/news/chelsea-...arison/127820/
    That's clearly not happened :rofl: the guys chatting out of his arse if he believes we actually made that bid(supposedly luiz was part of the deal too iirc). People say that it was united who did that as a counter offer for wayne rooney.

Yeah, Mata may have the edge, but he's a different player to rooney. Rooney has been playing in an unconventional AM role, not a forward or main striker like he was in the 09/10 season and 11/12 season. Basically you said that rooney is overrated and not that good anymore which the stats show is not the case.

You said that mata is better, fair enough I completely get where you're coming from, but we're going to play rooney up top. Not behind the striker and he's not going to replace mata. Even if you put rooney in that tier, that doesn't mean he isn't worth 35 million, the same amount andy carroll went for liverpool. You get what I'm saying. Rooney would clearly improve the team, there's no denying that so us going for him isn't a stupid suggestion, he's potentially attainable if we pay the right price.

Although I think this whole rooney saga was a little mind game started by mourinho, to unsettle the united camp due to their hard run of games and the fact we face them on early in the season, if we get him fair enough we've strengthened us and weakened united but if we don't the damage is probably done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    So, real madrid match, predictions?
    Honestly could not say. I fancy Jose to beat his former team like he normally does but the likes of Ronaldo, Isco, Ozil etc are just frightening.

I hope it's a cracker. I think it's worth staying up for.

ReputationRep:
    gonna go 2-1 madrid, but i think we could snatch a draw

ReputationRep:
    Cole better be playing this game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Cole better be playing this game.
    Di maria vs bertrand is something I wouldn't like to see.
    At least it's not forward player vs bosingwa.

ReputationRep:
    Di maria vs bertrand is something I wouldn't like to see.
    At least it's not forward player vs bosingwa.
    Bosingwa :rofl:. Can't believe we spent 17m on him.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly , we should play them on the break. Sit deep, contain Ronaldo and with our quick forwards we can cause trouble because Real Madrid will concede chances like vs Man United. It's been a while since I've anticipated a Chelsea match, knowing we're going to spend most of the time on the backfoot (except vs City at the Etihad)

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys, Chelsea fan here. Seems like a place where I can talk to some level headed Chelsea fans, even if some other fans in the other threads are a bit childish.

Scared about facing the front-line of Ronaldo-Ozil and Isco if they all play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkII)
    Hi Guys, Chelsea fan here. Seems like a place where I can talk to some level headed Chelsea fans, even if some other fans in the other threads are a bit childish.

Scared about facing the front-line of Ronaldo-Ozil and Isco if they all play.
    Welcome to the chelsea thread, and don't worry we're worried too, it should be a cracker though.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the chelsea thread, and don't worry we're worried too, it should be a cracker though.

Cheers

I've been up since 5 this morning and really struggling to stay awake already.

It's going to be good to see what formation Jose starts with. Hoping he plays a Hazard-De Bruyne-Mata- Lukaku front four.

Got a feeling that whoever starts up front will be his first choice this season provided we don't get Rooney. Just gotta hope it's not Ba

ReputationRep:
    Cheers

I've been up since 5 this morning and really struggling to stay awake already.

It's going to be good to see what formation Jose starts with. Hoping he plays a Hazard-De Bruyne-Mata- Lukaku front four.

Got a feeling that whoever starts up front will be his first choice this season provided we don't get Rooney. Just gotta hope it's not Ba
    Or torres. I think that we haven't seen the best of ba. But I guess torres will suit a counter attacking style(which we seem to have implemented better than last season)

Lukaku seems to be a more complete forward than torres due to his aerial ability and ability to play with his back to goal, while he played on the counter with albion I don't think he'll struggle to adapt to a possession game where he has to spend a lot of time in camped areas.

I agree with your formation. I haven't looked at KDB too much defensively, he's obviously a great passer and that but will he be able to track the runs of isco/ronaldo and double up on them effectively?

I'm not so sure, on the other hand if we use moses or schurlle we may lack the attacking threat we need in compensation for work rate.

ReputationRep:
    Fair point. But I'd like to see us go all out with this one attacking wise. Yes, it's Real Madrid but we haven't really got too much to lose unless we get absolutely destroyed (which obviously won't happen). I'm excited about the possibilty of Lukaku being the new Drogba, and De Bruyne is such a quality finisher!

ReputationRep:
    Come on you blues!

ReputationRep:
    Fair point. But I'd like to see us go all out with this one attacking wise. Yes, it's Real Madrid but we haven't really got too much to lose unless we get absolutely destroyed (which obviously won't happen). I'm excited about the possibilty of Lukaku being the new Drogba, and De Bruyne is such a quality finisher!
    Tbf I get why attacking real madrid is a good idea in a friendly. I guess we should just use our strongest 11 if we can regardless of tactics. I think we'll play on the counter though. Real struggled to break down teams with deep lines anyway.

I'm pretty excited about lukaku, shame we didn't keep sturridge as it would have made our striker situation much more desirable.

ReputationRep:
    Tbf I get why attacking real madrid is a good idea in a friendly. I guess we should just use our strongest 11 if we can regardless of tactics. I think we'll play on the counter though. Real struggled to break down teams with deep lines anyway.

I'm pretty excited about lukaku, shame we didn't keep sturridge as it would have made our striker situation much more desirable.
    I just hope Lukaku, can work on his first touch and finishing, then we have a really great player, he has the power and pace alongside aerial ability to be a real handful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manty)
    I just hope Lukaku, can work on his first touch and finishing, then we have a really great player, he has the power and pace alongside aerial ability to be a real handful!
    I would say he needs to improve on his first touch, but I think his finishing is pretty beasty already. I guess the guy needs to adapt to our style of play though. Would like him to dribble his way past the opposition though, I don't think he'll be able to do that as of yet but if he had an aguero like balance it would put the cherry on the cake for him.

ReputationRep:
    is the game at 1.45 guys?! yawn

ReputationRep:
    Cech, Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Cole, Lampard, MvG, Ramires, Hazard, Oscar, Lukaku

Looking like a 4-3-3 then - very solid midfield three. Would have like De Bruyne to start, but then again, I do think Oscar should star every game as well.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.