Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    This is what i don't understand. Chelsea is NOT a benchmark for how good the PREM is! Get that in your head!

Man united, City, Arsenal and Spurs could have played real today and won. Pretty sure the first two would have won this match, albeit with a bit of resistance as Real are a very good team, but not so good that they could win the PL.
    Spurs couldn't score a goal vs madrid over two legs.
    Arsenal managed to get knocked out by AC milan and got the double done over this weak chelsea team.
    United lost to madrid last season
    City lost to madrid last season.

If you can't handle facts go back to your asinine thread. Anyway ain't nobody got time for this. Going sleep then going gym. Goodnight bruv.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Arsenal managed to get knocked out by AC milan and got the double done over this weak chelsea team.

If you can't handle facts go back to your asinine thread. Anyway ain't nobody got time for this. Going sleep then going gym. Goodnight bruv.
    I would like to see Real do the same this year against City and United. Why are you mentioning AC milan?
    That was the old spurs, try the new spurs.

Do you remember the 5-3 the season before? :lol: I doubt it, because it was painful getting humiliated by an Arsenal team that was much weaker!

So you call a team with Oscar, Hazard and Mata weak?

Goodnight.

ReputationRep:
    I'd criticize mourinho over the performance. Tactically he got it wrong imo. Starting lampard was a mistake considering his lack of fitness, felt like we lacked a physical presence in midfield for the first half and it affected the team. Anyway the second half we switched to a 4-2-3-1 and we gave them more problems. Due to de bruynes movement helping hazard(who wasn't too good today) get space without being isolated.

Just feel that if we played 4-3-3 we should use powerful midfielders and just pack the midfield. Luiz and essien would have been the two I would have had in the 4-3-3 with van ginkel there for his athleticism. Oh well. It's only pre season, I didn't really expect us to win. At most a draw and penalties but they were clearly stronger than us.

Yup. Damn the spanish super cup will be interesting this season. They were just too much for us. Just goes to show the difference between the prem and the spanish clubs.
    Can't be if they're not in it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just watched the goals, and again we can blame the first goal on Cahill, he doesn't try to get the ball off Marcelo he just keeps moving back and back, he needs to learn to stop doing that it will cost us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Can't be if they're not in it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I completely forgot. :rofl: shame wanted to see the yearly friendly. It would have been a good curtain raiser. I guess I just have to watch david villa score against you guys instead :lol: (seriously atletico have no chance)

ReputationRep:
    Reals play was mesmerising. Isco did well today as well. Just scary the depth they have now. If they work well together they will definitely be toe to toe with bayern and barca this season.

I think we need to win some games in the league, get a run and some confidence and we could beat these teams. But tbh I don't think our play is as good as the teams, so I'm thinking should we go hardworking players and park bus like we won the CL against these teams or just play the way we normally play with our current personnel?
    I honestly think that Real Madrid are better than Bayern Munich. Maybe not defensively, but everywhere else. Have Bayern got central/attacking midfield options like Isco/Ozi/,Khedir/,Xabi Aloso/ Luca Modric? It's not even close in central midfield. The only team with as good a midfield is Barcelona IMO. Attacking wise , Real have Ronaldo, ADM and Benzema. While BM have Robben, Ribery, Shaqiri, Thiago and Mandzukic. Arguably Bayern have more depth here, but I'd take Real Madrid's first choice.

What I think make Bayern so good is how they play as a team and their system. They are very difficult to beat having lost like 3 games throughout the whole season. They are a strong team, but if Real Madrid can get as much team chemistry as Bayern, they would certainly be even more difficult to beat.

Wrt to us, we've bought quite a few players so we're trying to find our feet and our best system. Performance wise, De bruyne made a difference when he came on. He's probably our best set piece taker plus he linked well with Hazard at times. I agree about Lampard not starting. He shouldn't really start games against teams with an industrious midfield because he'll get overrun. He hasn't got the legs to press midfielders, whereas players like Van Ginkel, Ramires, Oscar etc do. We should have probably started with De Bruyne because once Real Madrid got going in the centre of the park, we couldn't really catch 'em. Plus, this was definitely a game Mata should've played if fit. We could break up Real Madrid's play but we didn't have the offensive creativity to penetrate their lines often so we'd easily give possession back to them.

Once we get going in the league and find a system that gets the best out of the team, we'll be in much better place. The vast majority of Real Madrid's team have been playing together since 2010 when Mourinho first came. Our team have added a lot of attacking players since 2011 and many players have left over the past 2/3 years, hence we aren't going to be as gelled. If Madrid had been up against the Drogba/Anelka/Ballack/Makelele Chelsea team which was more settled, I doubt we would've even looked slighlty out of depth IMo.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    We played them off the park until the referee ruined the game. No chance they'd have won 11v11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chigyy)
    Just watched the goals, and again we can blame the first goal on Cahill, he doesn't try to get the ball off Marcelo he just keeps moving back and back, he needs to learn to stop doing that it will cost us.
    It was annoying, if he's not engaging the defender you just give them space for a shot, it's not a good thing in a deep line to not engage the defender, at least in a high line you have the excuse that the player would have a harder angle or shot so you can back off a bit so they don't try to dribble past you. But this isn't 5 a side where shots go straight to the keeper most of the time. The thing is terry has been pretty good in preseason, so I'd start him.

I feel sorry for lukaku, that 4-3-3 didn't do him any favours, how can the man on chelsea tv tell me a 4-3-3 is more attacking, firstly the wing backs don't go as much forward, secondly there's no AM, just two CM's and a DM and thirdly it often leads to isolation of the striker, only exception with this formation is barca due to their fluidity and their high line and even then a 4-2-3-1 could help them at times as it means messi doesn't have to drop so deep to get the ball sometimes and he could focus on breaking defensive lines.

Disappointed in the tactics he used, but I guess he expected a loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    We played them off the park until the referee ruined the game. No chance they'd have won 11v11.
    Sorry, but the ref was allowed to make that decision, an odd one but regardless nani had his foot high and it hit arbeloa. Plus your goal was offside anyway, so you could say the ref could have ruined the game for madrid.

I wouldn't say you played them off the park, you did well on the counter though but tbh he was going to put benzema on due to higuain being a passenger as you had 10 men behind the ball which doesn't suit his style.

I still think madrid would have had it covered, but yes you guys were in the driving seat at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    I would like to see Real do the same this year against City and United. Why are you mentioning AC milan?
    That was the old spurs, try the new spurs.

Do you remember the 5-3 the season before? :lol: I doubt it, because it was painful getting humiliated by an Arsenal team that was much weaker!

So you call a team with Oscar, Hazard and Mata weak?

Goodnight.
    Mate, do you watch football?
    Real Madrid knocked United out of Europe. The only reason why United even had a chance was because they scored first. Had Madrid scored first, United would have had to chase Madrid and leave gaps.
    Real Madrid beat City too. If you watched the first half at the Bernabeu, you would say that Real Madrid should've been 2/3 up. Absolutely steamrolled them. Even at the Etihad, Real Madrid really should have won that. The only reason City had a chance is because Madrid were down to 10 men and the ref was refusing to give a foul against Ronaldo.
    Do I really have to bring up Tottenham too? Real Maddrid beat them 5-0 on aggregate and now Luka Modric is at Madrid. That Tottenham team is as good as today's Tottenham team or possibly slightly better although Bale has improved. Tottenham don't have a hope in hell. Yes Tottenham have a good counter attack, but Madrid have a slighlty stronger defence, while the midfield will run Spurs off the park and attacking wise, I don't need to even talk about Ronaldo.

Man City are the only PL team with a chance against Madrid. They've got a strong strikeforce as well as a powerful midfield in Toure and Fernandinho sprinkled with the creativity of Silva and Jovetic could pull a few strings in those areas

ReputationRep:
    But you didn't really. You scored first in both games and sat back waiting , hoping to hit them on the break which worked to some extent. Real Madrid did the most pressing and attacking before and after United scored as expected. United did play well within themselves, but territorially Madrid were on top for most parts.Had Real Madrid scored first in either leg, you would've really struggled

I think Real Madrid would eventually have scored at OT regardless of the Nani thing. It was just a matter of when.

Not to take anything away from United's performance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    I honestly think that Real Madrid are better than Bayern Munich. Maybe not defensively, but everywhere else. Have Bayern got central/attacking midfield options like Isco/Ozi/,Khedir/,Xabi Aloso/ Luca Modric? It's not even close in central midfield. The only team with as good a midfield is Barcelona IMO. Attacking wise , Real have Ronaldo, ADM and Benzema. While BM have Robben, Ribery, Shaqiri, Thiago and Mandzukic. Arguably Bayern have more depth here, but I'd take Real Madrid's first choice.
    Agree with everything else.
    But i think that real have a better attack than bayern.
    Central midfield is very close though. Remember schweinsteigger, martinez, thiago, gustavo, muller, kroos and gotze all play in central midfield/central attacking midfield. I'd say that real are certainly stronger on the wings and up front.

Anyway we will be ready for them when we face them again. Want to see how illaramendi does for them. I think a month will help us, if we start well we'll be ready for bayern. But I don't want to see lampard in the match starting. I guess if he was fully match fit we'd have a better/fairer reflection of his ability though.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with everything else.
    But i think that real have a better attack than bayern.
    Central midfield is very close though. Remember schweinsteigger, martinez, thiago, gustavo, muller, kroos and gotze all play in central midfield/central attacking midfield. I'd say that real are certainly stronger on the wings and up front.

Anyway we will be ready for them when we face them again. Want to see how illaramendi does for them. I think a month will help us, if we start well we'll be ready for bayern. But I don't want to see lampard in the match starting. I guess if he was fully match fit we'd have a better/fairer reflection of his ability though.
    Lampard should not start in big games with energetic midfields like Madrid, Munich, Barcelona and City. We got overran when we played City at the Etihad mainly because Lampard is too slow and doesn't really track back and hasn't got the lungs of 8-10 years ago. Playing Ramires, Oscar and Van Ginkel will mean we can actually play a pressing game in the middle. Oscar and Ramires have an incredible mixture of pace and stamina, while Van Ginkel looks like a good play-breaker but may need to work more on his ball distribution if I'm being harsh here.

We can play Lampard if we're playing against teams we know we're better than as he can always pop up and add 1-2 goals but in a tight game against creative midfielders, we're going to be a man light in midfield because Lampard normally plays really high up the pitch and doesn't really have the legs to run back when we loose the ball , which means we may get outnumbered in midfield in a practical sense

ReputationRep:
    Still really impressed by Van Ginkel. Just 20 as well.

I still worry about our defence though. Cahill again doing the same things he's done before, Terry this game was a bit anonymous tbh which I was a bit surprised about and I can't really see him starting a lot of games, Luiz can be good, but he has far too many brain farts. Ivanovic is very good but I think he will be deployed as a RB this season. Maybe should get another CB...

Agreed about Lampard. I still think he can start games against weaker teams but against these teams he should be brought on as an impact sub.

Also agree about the team needing a bit of time because they're not as used to playing with each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Still really impressed by Van Ginkel. Just 20 as well.

I still worry about our defence though. Cahill again doing the same things he's done before, Terry this game was a bit anonymous tbh which I was a bit surprised about and I can't really see him starting a lot of games, Luiz can be good, but he has far too many brain farts. Ivanovic is very good but I think he will be deployed as a RB this season. Maybe should get another CB...

Agreed about Lampard. I still think he can start games against weaker teams but against these teams he should be brought on as an impact sub.

Also agree about the team needing a bit of time because they're not as used to playing with each other.
    Lamaprd is too slow, but i think ramires touch and basic control isn't good enough.

I was also thinking last night, we do need another CB alongside a striker, Cahill still doesn't impress me and i feel Luiz is best deployed in the midfield, in a 4-2-3-1 with van ginkel the other holding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manty)
    Lamaprd is too slow, but i think ramires touch and basic control isn't good enough.

I was also thinking last night, we do need another CB alongside a striker, Cahill still doesn't impress me and i feel Luiz is best deployed in the midfield, in a 4-2-3-1 with van ginkel the other holding.
    I agree about Ramires. We can't play against top teams with Ramires in an advanced attacking position. He can't hold onto the ball. He's probably best alongside Van Ginkel to break up play but MVG can do that by himself. I think a midfield trio of Oscar, MVG and Luiz would work best. Plus I am 100% sure if Mata was fully fit he would have played against Madrid and improved our creativity. We couldn't really cope with Madrid's runs on the flanks but when we did have the ball, Lampard and Ramires aren't good enough to link up play with the attackers because Lamps is too slow and mainly looks for his own opportunities while Ramires has a poor first touch. he's good if we're breaking from corners because of the runs he makes.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like Real did a great job of roaming when on the attack; I don't think I saw Benzema on his own in the penalty box more than once.
    I'm worried about Mata because Chelsea quickly rose to dispel any rumours when Luiz had a tight hamstring so i'm wondering now what is happening?

Edit: just read that Mata has a small injury problem and Luiz now has a muscular injury.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelani)
    I feel like Real did a great job of roaming when on the attack; I don't think I saw Benzema on his own in the penalty box more than once.
    I'm worried about Mata because Chelsea quickly rose to dispel any rumours when Luiz had a tight hamstring so i'm wondering now what is happening?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mourinho said he's not getting rid of anyone else, plus anyway where would mata go?
    I don't see him as a PSG type player. None of the italian clubs can afford him, he'll be warming barca's bench and the isco signing makes a madrid transfer next to impossible.

Although if we could get a swap for mesut ozil I wouldn't be too averse, I think ozil's better tbh but he can't play 90 mins for some odd reason.

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho said he's not getting rid of anyone else, plus anyway where would mata go?
    I don't see him as a PSG type player. None of the italian clubs can afford him, he'll be warming barca's bench and the isco signing makes a madrid transfer next to impossible.

Although if we could get a swap for mesut ozil I wouldn't be too averse, I think ozil's better tbh but he can't play 90 mins for some odd reason.
    Yeah, you can't help but get worried though..
    Ozil was always a favourite player of mine even at Bremen. He's the ideal playmaker as he's so creative on the ball; Ronaldo and Benzema must love playing ahead of him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelani)
    Yeah, you can't help but get worried though..
    Ozil was always a favourite player of mine even at Bremen. He's the ideal playmaker as he's so creative on the ball; Ronaldo and Benzema must love playing ahead of him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ozil's my favourite AM, along with kroos and iniesta. I don't know they're just great to watch. Damn madrid are a good team. Kinda happy we got schooled now, it sort of leaves a benchmark as to where we are atm. Can't wait until the CL starts though.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.