Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Na, don't think they're good enough defensively, I guess with kaboul back it'll help a bit though, I'd say that they are likely to get that 4th spot though.
    Well Bale almost single-handedly got them 5th last year, and with additions like Soldado and Paulinho they can only improve. They were unlucky to not get 4th due to their strikers being in poor form. Even if they don't get top 3 I think they'll still push for it. Arsenal should be bricking it this season tbh.

ReputationRep:
    In all seriousness I really hope Piazon doesn't end up like Kakuta. He's a great player and I really enjoyed watching him in the FA Youth Cup. I at least hope if he isn't a success here he does well at another good team. Just as long as theya ren't our rivals

ReputationRep:
    Na, don't think they're good enough defensively, I guess with kaboul back it'll help a bit though, I'd say that they are likely to get that 4th spot though.
    Knowing Arsenal, they'll probably finish 4th again, one way or the other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Well Bale almost single-handedly got them 5th last year, and with additions like Soldado and Paulinho they can only improve. They were unlucky to not get 4th due to their strikers being in poor form. Even if they don't get top 3 I think they'll still push for it. Arsenal should be bricking it this season tbh.
    Arsenal have been fortunate about 1/2 the time since 2006. Tottenham crumbled in 2006 and were hit with loads of injuries on the last day. They then did the same in 2012 when they were 10 points clear. Last season, it was just the case of slight crumblings but they've been 1 point behind Arsenal for two seasons running now. Arsenal are definitely treading a thin line. They're hoping on a huge revelation from Sanogo because they really are gonna be struggling for 4th this year. S

Such a shame how Arsenal have fallen out of the title race picture. Mind, they should have really won in 2007/08 until that February/March crumble with Eduardo breaking his leg then losing it on the pitch, plus throwing away a huge chance vs United that April when they were a goal in front.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't watch the match but apparently Marin did quite well against United. That's interesting to hear..

ReputationRep:
    I saw highlights of his first performance for Sevilla and he scored twice in the second half and played really well. Although it did look like they were playing on a pitch fit for a sunday league team with about 50 people watching.

It's quite scary really to think that if we had the lost the Champions League Final to Bayern we wouldn't have Hazard, possibly Oscar or even Mourinho right now. Di Matteo would probably be another discarded manager rather a complete legend to the club (although still a great servant to Chelsea) and we could possibly be behind Arsenal or Spurs with Malouda still playing on the wing.

Didier was a hero right until the last. He opened a new chapter in the Club's history at the same time as closing one.

ReputationRep:
    I have a soft spot for Frank Lampard :cool:

He's better than Gerrard by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    I have a soft spot for Frank Lampard :cool:

He's better than Gerrard by the way.
    Atm yeah, but I always thought they were equal to each other, lampard being more goal focused and gerrard being more focused on setting up goals and playmaking.

ReputationRep:
    Atm yeah, but I always thought they were equal to each other, lampard being more goal focused and gerrard being more focused on setting up goals and playmaking.
    Frank has always been better. Creasehead has just scored more Roy of the Rovers type goals which clouds people's judgment. Creasehead is portrayed as some sort of saviour and captain fantastic, the scouse hero and so on, it's boring. He's been toss for three years now while Lampard has just smashed 17 goals in what many thought would be the season he left Chelsea on a free.

It should have been Scholes and Frank in the England midfield. Creasehead didn't fit. They stuck Scholes out on the wing ffs :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Frank has always been better. Creasehead has just scored more Roy of the Rovers type goals which clouds people's judgment. Creasehead is portrayed as some sort of saviour and captain fantastic, the scouse hero and so on, it's boring. He's been toss for three years now while Lampard has just smashed 17 goals in what many thought would be the season he left Chelsea on a free.

It should have been Scholes and Frank in the England midfield. Creasehead didn't fit. They stuck Scholes out on the wing ffs :rolleyes:
    Yeah was saying lamps has been better recently, at their best I'd say there wasn't much between them. Lampard being the better goalscorer but gerrard had more energy and assister. But yeah I'd have tried a lamps scholes midfield. But now lampards clearly the better player.

ReputationRep:

You have a logical mind, and deserve some rep for speaking sense. Lampard is the 5th highest Premier League scorer, the second highest in assists, and is one of the only players who everyone would agree gives their all in representing England.

And he also seems like a nice - and intelligent - person.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I fail to understand why is every one crazy about Eva?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    I'm good as always, just kinda abandoned this place when at uni haha.
    Good to hear.
    We look good but I'm not quite sure of our striking options. Torres nor Ba have been prolific in a Chelsea shirt while Lukaku has been impressive for West Brom, but it's much different playing for Chelsea where most league teams stick 8 behind the ball so there's less space.

I would have actually liked us to get Soldado as he's been a reliable goalscorer since he joined Valencia and would've been a solid addition to the team. Maybe not a superstar, but he would definitely boost our attacking options

If rumour is to be beleived, Rooney may hand in a transfer request in the next week while we may bid £40m for him. I don't know how you guys feel about Rooney, but if he does join us, I'd be more than happy. Since Ronaldo's left \united he's averaged 19/20 goals a season and even last season, his figure was down mainly because he was second fiddle to rvp last season
    On the whole, I think you're right. I would have had no problem getting Soldado or Rooney if Torres was sold.

But if you got another striker, it would have meant 4 strikers competing for one spot in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

We don't want another Sturridge situation again, whereby a talented young striker leaves to another club due to not getting enough game time at Chelsea.

I have been looking at the long term and my gut feeling is this:

Give Lukaku the next season as the main striker. And even if you don't win the league, he would gain some vital experience that will make him stronger for years to come.

After the 2013/14 experience, I think Lukaku under the guidance of Mourinho would become a very good striker by 2014/15. Meaning that you can then get a good 10 years out of him, which is great in the long term.

However if you get Rooney, assuming that he performs as well as he did in the no.9 role, you're only going to get approx. 5 good years out of him. Great in the short term but what about the long term? Lukaku won't be happy playing second fiddle for 5 years and would leave. So what would you do then? Sign another top class striker for £80m (assuming inflation)?

In conclusion, I don't think either of us are objectively right or wrong on the striker situation. It just depends on the short and long term goals. Signing Rooney would likely be a great thing for Chelsea, at least in the short term. I personally think keeping Lukaku as your main striker (assuming he continues to progress very well) would be a great thing for Chelsea in the long term. He could be your next Drogba. But a different Drogba, of course.

ReputationRep:
    2 of the last three years he was wrecked with injury :rolleyes:

He had a very good season last year, better then Lampards, but obviously if your only indicator of how well a player has done is goals scored then :facepalm2:

(Original post by billybo_h)
    and is one of the only players who everyone would agree gives their all in representing England.
    And Gerrard doesn't? He's consistently been one of England's best players at major tournaments and been played out of position a lot more then Lampard. No-one in their right mind can say that Gerrard doesn't give it his all when playing for England. There's a reason he's captain

You guys using Lampard's goals as the only indicator again? :lol:

ReputationRep:

But goals aren't everything. I would be a C.Ronaldo fanboy if goals was everything to me.

I agree that Lampard has been the better player over the years. But you must admit that part of that has been down to having quality players around him all over the pitch. Gerrard hasn't always had top quality players around him and he has had to drag LFC to victory so many times on his own.

I think Gerrard at his peak was better than Lampard. He had more to his game. Shooting, crossing, set pieces, passing, pace, tackling, vision etc. He nearly had it all.

But yes, Lampard has had better consistency than Gerrard. While I don't think goals are everything, to be the club's all-time top scorer as a midfielder and be the highest scoring midfielder in the league is something special. And of course, Lamps had more to his game than that, making him a legend in my eyes.

Btw, did you make the comment on Lamps and Gerrard to troll LFC fans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billybo_h)
    You have a logical mind, and deserve some rep for speaking sense. Lampard is the 5th highest Premier League scorer, the second highest in assists, and is one of the only players who everyone would agree gives their all in representing England.

And he also seems like a nice - and intelligent - person.
    This is why I have a soft spot for him, he's a very likable player. I used to hate him purely because he played for Chelsea but then I saw him in interviews post match and he's very smart. Not just all 'ermmmmm' and 'y'know'.

(Original post by Cable)
    But goals aren't everything. I would be a C.Ronaldo fanboy if goals was everything to me.

I agree that Lampard has been the better player over the years. But you must admit that part of that has been down to having quality players around him all over the pitch. Gerrard hasn't always had top quality players around him and he has had to drag LFC to victory so many times on his own.
    Goals aren't everything but to do what he's done consistently from midfield is incredible. Also Lamps has scored some big goals too, CL final, the Barca chip out of nowhere, penalty against the scouse... so many more too. And he's also one of the only England players who can come out of tournaments having done alright (though I thought the Crease was very good in the Euros last year.)

Gerrard is/was class too. :cool:

I think Gerrard at his peak was better than Lampard. He had more to his game. Shooting, crossing, set pieces, passing, pace, tackling, vision etc. He nearly had it all.
    Lampard can do all of that too.

But yes, Lampard has had better consistency than Gerrard. While I don't think goals are everything, to be the club's all-time top scorer as a midfielder and be the highest scoring midfielder in the league is something special. And of course, Lamps had more to his game than that, making him a legend in my eyes.
    :cool:

Btw, did you make the comment on Lamps and Gerrard to troll LFC fans?
    I'd never do such a thing :eek: :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Is Lampard a nice bloke? hhhmm, plenty of evidence to the contrary especially in his early career and wrt to how's he's treated WHU, a club in his blood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Every pre-season people undermine Arsenal's chances of fourth, and every December Arsenal are supposedly 'out of the race', and every season Wenger and Arsenal get it together. Seventeen consecutive years isn't a fluke, and there's no reason to think that Arsenal won't finish fourth again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Is Lampard a nice bloke? hhhmm, plenty of evidence to the contrary especially in his early career and wrt to how's he's treated WHU, a club in his blood.
    Lampard's treatment at the hand of West Ham United is well documented and isn't a valid objection to his merits or otherwise.

His behaviour in 2001 was reprehensible, but I'm not aware of any other aberrations or misdemeanours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Lampard's treatment at the hand of West Ham United is well documented and isn't a valid objection to his merits or otherwise.

His behaviour in 2001 was reprehensible, but I'm not aware of any other aberrations or misdemeanours.
    Dunno really, as far as I can tell he threw a wobbly because his old man was given the heave hoe when Redknapp was sacked and then made up a load of BS about being jeered when injured by WHU fans etc. Hard to tell, I'd say he acted like a **** personally saying he wanted WHU to get relegated etc after all they did for him and his dad. Rio, Joe Cole, Carrick still on excellent terms with their fans so says something about FL that he isnt.

****ed around with his ex-wife, kids apparently although I dont follow that kind of thing. Was also well known to be in and out of Romford knocking shops and giving it the whole ''do you know who I am?'' when he was still a snotty nosed teen. Of course this could all be BS but he had a bit of a reputation as a teen, making sex tapes as well etc.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.