Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    No idea about Anzhi, but his stats while he was in Shahktar are pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    His statistics suggest otherwise.
    he's a top player.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how many assists he got at Shakhtar? I could only find UCL figures from before he went to Anzhi. His goal tally certainly isn't amazing, but from the few times I've seen him play he DID look good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    Does anyone know how many assists he got at Shakhtar? I could only find UCL figures from before he went to Anzhi. His goal tally certainly isn't amazing, but from the few times I've seen him play he DID look good.
    12/13 35 apps 8 goals 15 assists for Shahktar in his last season.

Watched him regularly there, he's been good. No idea how he's done in Anzhi though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    His statistics suggest otherwise.
    Statistics don't tell the full story, they can easily be skewed to suit an argument. Wilshere doesn't have great statistics but there is no doubting his quality as a player. Could also say the same of Iniesta. Willian has made a bad career move here, he would have been excellent at Liverpool or Tottenham. I think he'll have a similar fate to Moses/Marin at Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently we've signed Eto'o for 2m O_o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Apparently we've signed Eto'o for 2m O_o
    According to The Telegraph we're content to wait for Rooney, be that when his contract runs out or perhaps January/next summer when Moyes might be more inclined to sell. :dontknow:

As for Eto'o, for £2m you can't really complain provided he's not on stupid wages...although he probably is. Could turn out great, not really convinced though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    According to The Telegraph we're content to wait for Rooney, be that when his contract runs out or perhaps January/next summer when Moyes might be more inclined to sell. :dontknow:

As for Eto'o, for £2m you can't really complain provided he's not on stupid wages...although he probably is. Could turn out great, not really convinced though.
    Yeah interesting that.

A goal:game ratio of 1:2.5 at Russia isn't great if we're looking for a top top striker. I mean this guy was a beast at Barca and Inter but now? Not sure. Lukaku's goals to game ratio was 1:2 roughly . Ofc stats don't show everything but comparing it to other strikers we could get I'm not too convinced. Apparently his performances in the Europa weren't great either...

Maybe after re-uniting with Mourinho though he'll do better...?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah interesting that.

A goal:game ratio of 1:2.5 at Russia isn't great if we're looking for a top top striker. I mean this guy was a beast at Barca and Inter but now? Not sure. Lukaku's goals to game ratio was 1:2 roughly . Ofc stats don't show everything but comparing it to other strikers we could get I'm not too convinced. Apparently his performances in the Europa weren't great either...

Maybe after re-uniting with Mourinho though he'll do better...?
    I don't know if it's indicative of where he played in the league for them but against us in the Europa League last year he dropped SO deep, he actually collected the ball of the centre-backs a few times.

ReputationRep:
    Signing Eto'o just makes the decisio to let the Drog even more stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Signing Eto'o just makes the decisio to let the Drog even more stupid.
    Nope - Drogba going wasn't stupid at all.

Besides it not being club policy to offer more than a 1 year deal to 30+ yr olds... it was the perfect ending to Drogba's career at Chelsea. He would never have been able to top the: 'Win the CL trophy for Chelsea Football Club with the last kick of the game/his Chelsea career.'

ReputationRep:
    That moment still makes me mushy. Topped aguero's equaliser against a ten man QPR by miles.

We shouldn't have let him go without an adequate replacement, or we could have played the clearly better striker and we wouldn't need drogba if you got a guy who can get 15-20 league goals a season that gets played by the team.

Anyway we're fine in the striker position atm. Our midfield gets enough goals, and tbh our team rarely has prolific strikers, somewhat similar to bayern last season the goals are shared across the pitch, as long as they work hard for the team, run down the channels stopping the fullback from transitioning from defence to fulllback like we see our current strikers doing I'll be happy. All we need now is a player capable of controlling games from deep but also has an engine to transition defence to attack quickly, which hopefully we have in van ginkel.

If not we can just 4-3-3 it but I don't think that's the best option with all our AM's atm. Personally I think a 3-6-1/3-5-2 would be a good tactic with our players.

ReputationRep:
    I hope we get both Eto'o and Rooney and with Lukaku we can really charge for the title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Nope - Drogba going wasn't stupid at all.

Besides it not being club policy to offer more than a 1 year deal to 30+ yr olds... it was the perfect ending to Drogba's career at Chelsea. He would never have been able to top the: 'Win the CL trophy for Chelsea Football Club with the last kick of the game/his Chelsea career.'
    How old is Eto'o?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    How old is Eto'o?
    32, I think. Younger than Drogba was when he left.

Assuming that if we do get him, it'll be on a 1 year contract, with a 1 year extension possible.

Either way, Eto'o can teach Lukaku a lot. Just need Lukaku to get the necessary game time, and to have patience.

He's now had the chance to train with Drogba, Torres and now Eto'o, with Mourinho as manager. Perfect conditions tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan94adibi)
    I hope we get both Eto'o and Rooney and with Lukaku we can really charge for the title.
    Would be great but in truth that would never happen, firstly lukaku's development would be hampered, secondly we have to shift 2 of our strikers out for that to happen. thirdly it's just overkill, personally I think we should buy rooney and if we can't get him get eto'o if he's cheap, otherwise we don't need a signing.

ReputationRep:
    A 3-5-2? A 3-6-1? Who would we deploy and where? And would the centre backs even be good enough...?

What about a 4-1-4-1?

ReputationRep:
    Lol yet another Brazilian added to the contingent

ReputationRep:
    A 3-5-2? A 3-6-1? Who would we deploy and where? And would the centre backs even be good enough...?

What about a 4-1-4-1?
    4-1-4-1 won't work as 1 DM isn't enough cover as we lack someone of quality to do that, back when maka was there I'd have thought about this, and if we played 4 in the attacking mid positions defensively we'll be very suspect, The likes of villa would have a field day against us. I'll only use this if we're losing and we've got 5 mins left.

Luiz, terry, ivan then cahill providing cover with kalas.

We'll use 1 DM, 1 CM so that would be essien and MVG, 2 defensive wingers, hazard/cole/bertrand playing LM(his defensive contribution has improved tbf and azpi/schurlle/moses playing RM then 2 AM's such as mata/KDB and oscar/willian with lukaku up top.

I say this because it's a way of congesting the midfield and we need width in our play so getting the wingbacks to start higher up would solve that problem. Luiz being a libero to pick the ball up from deep and go into midfield on his runs and it prevents us being caught out if we have two CB's to cover for his runs and having wing backs/defensive wingers.

It would help if we had another CB ofc, but juve have 4 CB's and an LB playing there in peluso so it's not like we're screwed depth wise, kalas will also get a game too.

the 3-5-2 was more due to the fact we have a few strikers and that 3 strikers need regular gametime looking at their respective ages and formwise, I feel that one of them could play as a defensive forward(yes that's a reference to torres' amazing defending rafa) to press the back line/DLP with a forward up top for holding up the play and getting the goals. It would also prevent isolation of the striker, something that's rather rife when we play 4-2-3-1 and especially 4-3-3 and people will struggle to play narrow against us(unlike people do to us usually and we run out of ideas like the villa game) due to the amount of people we got between the DM and the centre backs.

ReputationRep:
    Happy City are on their way to dropping points this early in the season

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.