Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I wanted Eto'o when Barca said he was surplus to requirements and some people thought they were lying, a year later he left for Inter. Well, I'm not sure how well he'd do now. Wonder if Lukaku is regretting not going back on loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    Eto'o is immenient, according to the Twitterverse. What a squad you have now. :daydreaming:

Bulging with quantity and quality, a bit on the excess side even.
    So we need to get rid of someone, please get rid of torres. Hopefully eto'o does well for us. he should do with the service he's got. Just wish we were a bit more methodical but I guess it should work. Our team should be a match for everyones now though, even if eto'o isn't like he was at inter/barca.

I hope he gives lukaku games though, there's no need for him not to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I don't think lamela is the guy we need, we already have forward/wingers in hazard and schurlle who contribute to goals, lamps obviously gets goals and so does mata, Lamela isn't really going to change our fortunes anyway, neither would willian tbh but hey.

But from what I've heard he could be as good as bale. 15 goals in serie A is nothing to be sniffed at, he'll take the league by storm I feel.
    Well if Lamela could be as good as Bale, then that sure as hell is good enough for us. He would definitely be in our first team or thereabouts. He is more of a forward than Hazard or any of our other attacking midfielders. Plays in a similar position to Messi and more of a goal threat than a lot of our players IMO.

In the next season or two, you'll see why I think we should've got him instead of all the other players we had. Hope I'm not wrong, but he looks a quality player for Spurs to get and considering that Bale is going to leave, they've vastly improved their squad and we should be wary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I wanted Eto'o when Barca said he was surplus to requirements and some people thought they were lying, a year later he left for Inter. Well, I'm not sure how well he'd do now. Wonder if Lukaku is regretting not going back on loan.
    If we get rid of someone(ba likely although I like him) or torres out on loan(it's the only way he's going to leave tbh) we should be fine, I doubt mourinho was happy about torres being our main striker, and I said that I wanted an experienced striker who can get goals that's not ridiculously priced while lukaku gets games on the bench and ba is our backup.

I think now lukaku will be main choice next season. It was never going to happen, and I would not be fully confident of winning the title with him up top and torres/ba as backups or rotating with him. Eto'o is a better signing than rooney in fact, in the sense that he's older, so will have less years left in him, cheaper and we will be able to use lukaku in the future without stunting his development too much. It's not like sturridge development was irreversibly stunted here in fact he became a much better player during his time here with AVB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    Well if Lamela could be as good as Bale, then that sure as hell is good enough for us. He would definitely be in our first team or thereabouts. He is more of a forward than Hazard or any of our other attacking midfielders. Plays in a similar position to Messi and more of a goal threat than a lot of our players IMO.

In the next season or two, you'll see why I think we should've got him instead of all the other players we had. Hope I'm not wrong, but he looks a quality player for Spurs to get and considering that Bale is going to leave, they've vastly improved their squad and we should be wary
    I was slightly scared of spurs too and I do think lamela would have been suited to us, but with the depth that we have and the strength(if we get eto'o) then spurs aren't to worry about and I wouldn't mind too much about missing lamela.

I'd be more worried about city and united. I know he's a forward, but we need a striker like eto'o more, we get enough goals from midfield and really just need a striker to make use of the chances our team create.

I'm not so worried now. I still think we can win the title, I was going to say we need a defender but at worst we'd use essien as a fullback or a CB if we had to.

ReputationRep:
    I was slightly scared of spurs too and I do think lamela would have been suited to us, but with the depth that we have and the strength(if we get eto'o) then spurs aren't to worry about and I wouldn't mind too much about missing lamela.

I'd be more worried about city and united. I know he's a forward, but we need a striker like eto'o more, we get enough goals from midfield and really just need a striker to make use of the chances our team create.

I'm not so worried now. I still think we can win the title, I was going to say we need a defender but at worst we'd use essien as a fullback or a CB if we had to.
    Has Essien had any minutes this season? He was one of my favourite non-Liverpool players a few years back. He was sooo good.

ReputationRep:
    So we need to get rid of someone, please get rid of torres. Hopefully eto'o does well for us. he should do with the service he's got. Just wish we were a bit more methodical but I guess it should work. Our team should be a match for everyones now though, even if eto'o isn't like he was at inter/barca.

I hope he gives lukaku games though, there's no need for him not to.
    I do think Torres would be willing to go since its WC year. Del Bosque probably realises he needs to try new things and Torres probably knows the merits of his previous tournaments might not be enough to earn him a squad place this time, considering how other Spanish players have taken the step up in their careers (Negredo/Soldado) or found regular playtime (Villa). Some team in the Prem would be willing to take Ba on loan I reckon but I would keep a trio of Eto'o/Lukaku/Ba.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Has Essien had any minutes this season? He was one of my favourite non-Liverpool players a few years back. He was sooo good.
    None yet, he'll get some it's early days. I guess the first two games we needed an attacking approach to perennial bus parkers and against united he's not ready to come into that game. He'll rotate with the rest of the midfield.

ReputationRep:
    You would have needed a signed permission slip before even attempting a run or through ball back in Essien's old days. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I do think Torres would be willing to go since its WC year. Del Bosque probably realises he needs to try new things and Torres probably knows the merits of his previous tournaments might not be enough to earn him a squad place this time, considering how other Spanish players have taken the step up in their careers (Negredo/Soldado) or found regular playtime (Villa). Some team in the Prem would be willing to take Ba on loan I reckon but I would keep a trio of Eto'o/Lukaku/Ba.
    Good point, since they got outdone in the confeds I think del bosque will start to shake things up(at least up top) But yeah generally agree with your point, especially that trio, I'm rather happy this window, and if we get eto'o that's essentially what I wanted to happen in march happening.
    You would have needed a signed permission slip before even attempting a run or through ball back in Essien's old days. :lol:
    Usually ends up like this when they try to get past

ReputationRep:

Swindon in the league cup lol.

ReputationRep:

Goes without saying you'd be more worried about United and City, but we shouldn't play a blind eye to Spurs one bit. They've got decent wingers in Lennon, Townsend and Chadlii. They've got Soldado (Spain's 2nd best striker behind Villa IMO), Defoe and Adebayor (who turns up when he wants) which is a decent strike force. Plus, they've got quite a bit of meat in midfield with Dembele, Sandro and Paulinho.

Plus, they're getting Christian Eriksen for like 12 million (last year of his contract) who's like a proper attacking midfielder/playmaker which is all they're really missing apart from a centre back which they'll be buying soon.

This is their potential team

Lloris

Walker Dawson Vertonghen Assou-Ekotto/Rose

Dembele Paulinho

Lamela Eriksen Lennon

Soldado

Looking at it, it may not be quite as good as ours but it's not too far off IMO. Top keeper, arguably one of the top 10 strikers in the world atm (if we consider Cavani, Falcao, RVP, Ibra, Lewandowski, Villa better plus 1 or 2 others), 2 young and very promising players in Eriksen and Lamela, plus a very strong anchor midfield.

ReputationRep:
    Goes without saying you'd be more worried about United and City, but we shouldn't play a blind eye to Spurs one bit. They've got decent wingers in Lennon, Townsend and Chadlii. They've got Soldado (Spain's 2nd best striker behind Villa IMO), Defoe and Adebayor (who turns up when he wants) which is a decent strike force. Plus, they've got quite a bit of meat in midfield with Dembele, Sandro and Paulinho.

Plus, they're getting Christian Eriksen for like 12 million (last year of his contract) who's like a proper attacking midfielder/playmaker which is all they're really missing apart from a centre back which they'll be buying soon.

This is their potential team

Lloris

Walker Dawson Vertonghen Assou-Ekotto/Rose

Dembele Paulinho

Lamela Eriksen Lennon

Soldado

Looking at it, it may not be quite as good as ours but it's not too far off IMO. Top keeper, arguably one of the top 10 strikers in the world atm (if we consider Cavani, Falcao, RVP, Ibra, Lewandowski, Villa better plus 1 or 2 others), 2 young and very promising players in Eriksen and Lamela, plus a very strong anchor midfield.
    I agree with what you're saying, I'd say soldado's better than villa tbh, if villa can replicate his valencia form he'd be better.

We have the better defence, they have slightly better DM's in the sense that they're balanced and can allow the attacking mids to do their work without being exposed to the counter, I won't talk about van ginkel and essien yet until they play regularly.

We still have better players behind the striker even with lamela and eriksen, not convinced with lennon he works hard but hot and cold in the position like ramires was for us on the wings. And it goes without saying we have strength in depth there. Could maybe do with a 2 footed winger who doesn't cut in a lot(moses I guess fills this role though)

I'd say they have a 'slightly' better strike force than us(if we get eto'o) defoe on the bench is a great option and so is ade, but same can be said of lukaku and ba off the bench. I guess the only thing would be how better soldado is than eto'o, and while he's a great finisher, that's really it to his game, great movement and finishing, he's not going to be pressing the defenders all game, he's not going to be holding up the ball and getting link up play like eto would and he certainly won't be working the channels to get himself involved.

He'd still be good for us and I want him(see post 13 on the first page of this thread) but I can see why we'd see eto'o and rooney over him. But seriously we need to find a suitor for torres if we get eto'o.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what you're saying, I'd say soldado's better than villa tbh, if villa can replicate his valencia form he'd be better.

We have the better defence, they have slightly better DM's in the sense that they're balanced and can allow the attacking mids to do their work without being exposed to the counter, I won't talk about van ginkel and essien yet until they play regularly.

We still have better players behind the striker even with lamela and eriksen, not convinced with lennon he works hard but hot and cold in the position like ramires was for us on the wings. And it goes without saying we have strength in depth there. Could maybe do with a 2 footed winger who doesn't cut in a lot(moses I guess fills this role though)

I'd say they have a 'slightly' better strike force than us(if we get eto'o) defoe on the bench is a great option and so is ade, but same can be said of lukaku and ba off the bench. I guess the only thing would be how better soldado is than eto'o, and while he's a great finisher, that's really it to his game, great movement and finishing, he's not going to be pressing the defenders all game, he's not going to be holding up the ball and getting link up play like eto would and he certainly won't be working the channels to get himself involved.

He'd still be good for us and I want him(see post 13 on the first page of this thread) but I can see why we'd see eto'o and rooney over him. But seriously we need to find a suitor for torres if we get eto'o.
    To be fair with Lennon, I'm not convinced either and maybe Townsend should play. Seems impressive. Just before the World Cup, Lennon was playing better than Walcott, but over the past 2 seasons, Walcott has improved and actually had a decent season last year and I think Walcott has overtaken him.
    I agree that when it comes to strength in depth we trump them. Our defence is better, and our attacking midfield trio/quartet is arguably stronger, but I think they're closing the gap although we are still just that bit better than them. The only reason why we finished so close to them last season was because we played 15-20 more games than them over the season, so would've had to make concessions in the league

Well Eto'o is on his way. This is from the BBC Transfer Gossip hourly update

"Chelsea expect to complete a deal for Anzhi Makhachkala striker Samuel Eto'o in the next 24 hours.

"The 32-year-old will join the Premier League club on a free transfer and sign a one-year-deal. Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho made his move for Eto'o after seeing two bids rejected for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney.

"Earlier this week, it emerged Rooney was not prepared to force a move to Stamford Bridge by handing in a formal transfer request, effectively ending Chelsea's hopes of signing the England striker."

Apparently he's gonna get 7 million a year salary, so 7 million for Eto'o is a win-win

ReputationRep:
    To be fair with Lennon, I'm not convinced either and maybe Townsend should play. Seems impressive. Just before the World Cup, Lennon was playing better than Walcott, but over the past 2 seasons, Walcott has improved and actually had a decent season last year and I think Walcott has overtaken him.
    I agree that when it comes to strength in depth we trump them. Our defence is better, and our attacking midfield trio/quartet is arguably stronger, but I think they're closing the gap although we are still just that bit better than them. The only reason why we finished so close to them last season was because we played 15-20 more games than them over the season, so would've had to make concessions in the league

Well Eto'o is on his way. This is from the BBC Transfer Gossip hourly update

"Chelsea expect to complete a deal for Anzhi Makhachkala striker Samuel Eto'o in the next 24 hours.

"The 32-year-old will join the Premier League club on a free transfer and sign a one-year-deal. Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho made his move for Eto'o after seeing two bids rejected for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney.

"Earlier this week, it emerged Rooney was not prepared to force a move to Stamford Bridge by handing in a formal transfer request, effectively ending Chelsea's hopes of signing the England striker."

Apparently he's gonna get 7 million a year salary, so 7 million for Eto'o is a win-win
    Wrt eto'o that's a good deal for us too, we get an experienced player for essentially 7million pounds on a 1 year deal. If he's **** he's gone at the end of the year and we use lukaku if he does well and wins us the title we have a potential revelation signing. Smart business. That's us done for the window. Just need to loan a striker out (torres preferrably) and we're done. Finally we may get rid of torres and if not we loan out ba or lukaku to a team where they'll get games. exactly what I wanted to see this window.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, sucks to be Lukaku. Poor lad.

Ba to Newcastle looks likely then.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think who will start this Friday? Schürrle oder Willian ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Wow, sucks to be Lukaku. Poor lad.

Ba to Newcastle looks likely then.
    Didn't they get remy though? I'm not too fussed with lukaku, we'd have never started the season with him up top if we wanted to win the title. I think he's a good backup striker atm and should get the early CL games vs 3rd/4th seeds and play the games vs the fodder of the league.

Mourinho will rotate between the two and I'm sure lukaku will get ample gametime. The signing of eto'o and trying to get rooney as a big signing already shows his opinion of torres. I think if he keeps torres and sells ba he's going to do that so torres runs like a headless chicken when we need to close down a result. But I'd prefer torres out and ba on loan. Won't be surprised if both of those two are for sale. Since schurlle can play up top too and mourinho usually only has two consistent quality out and out strikers in the team with other people who play there but not their primary position. (higuain and benzema, crespo and drogba, drogba and kezman, drogba and sheva being recent pairings) Only exception was inter, where he had a small ageing squad with little money for him to tinker with...

My bet is that at least 1 of the two are going, and that with the way mourinho likes small squads, would prefer if we got rid of both. Finally remember that he promised gametime to lukaku, who's the only striker who's featured in two of our three games, so obviously he likes the lad. But eto'o was needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ycd1231)
    What do you think who will start this Friday? Schürrle oder Willian ?
    Schurrle most probably. Willian may be on the bench. I think What Mourinho is trying to do is work out his best team, hence why we've been playing different players in the starting line-ups especially in midfield and attack

ReputationRep:
    Wrt eto'o that's a good deal for us too, we get an experienced player for essentially 7million pounds on a 1 year deal. If he's **** he's gone at the end of the year and we use lukaku if he does well and wins us the title we have a potential revelation signing. Smart business. That's us done for the window. Just need to loan a striker out (torres preferrably) and we're done. Finally we may get rid of torres and if not we loan out ba or lukaku to a team where they'll get games. exactly what I wanted to see this window.
    It's a shame we're getting Eto'o now though. We've wanted him for like 10 years. I remember reading about how Ranieri wanted him when Abramovic first came, and I'm pretty sure we were after him during Mourinho's first stint

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.