Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ycd1231)
    What do you think who will start this Friday? Schürrle oder Willian ?
    Not too sure, I think we need a guy who will run a lot on the wings as the wing(robbery duo) is their primary threat, so I expect schurrle to play for that role, oscar has been getting gametime so I think he'll play, So I reckon oscar, schurrle and hazard to play with eto'o up top. If he's not fit then he'll start torres and sub him off for lukaku when torres has done the dirty work for 60 mins.

Do feel that we should put mata in or sub him on late on since I can see us going in behind to them at half time but I guess schweinsteigger needs to be marked out.

I just hope lampard doesn't start but I think jose will do that and play him with ramires.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    Schurrle most probably. Willian may be on the bench. I think What Mourinho is trying to do is work out his best team, hence why we've been playing different players in the starting line-ups especially in midfield and attack
    yes that's correct, but I think they will lose against Bayern on Friday.

ReputationRep:
    yes that's correct, but I think they will lose against Bayern on Friday.
    Good to see you have an opinion

ReputationRep:
    Good to see you have an opinion
    What do you think, how the game will end?

ReputationRep:
    What do you think, how the game will end?
    Tbh, Bayern should win like 2-1/3-1. Not really an important game IMO, just a friendly but it will definitely help us get up to speed

ReputationRep:
    So Eto'o it is then.
    I think it's a good short term solution to our striking problems and Lukaku can start moving into the first team slowly and nicely.
    I think this signing makes sense. If you think about it Jose played him on the right at Inter, pretty sure this is where he will be played at Chelsea too, and that's where we're struggling in numbers.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think who will start this Friday? Schürrle oder Willian ?
    Willian joined us too late to be registered for the game so he won't be playing, neither will Eto'o should we get him before friday.

This is the squad:

Goalkeepers: Petr Cech, Mark Schwarzer, Jamal Blackman

Defenders: Cesar Azpilicueta, Branislav Ivanovic, Ashley Cole, Ryan Bertrand, Gary Cahill, John Terry, David Luiz

Midfielders: Michael Essien, Frank Lampard, Ramires, Oscar, Eden Hazard, Kevin De Bruyne, Marco van Ginkel, John Obi Mikel

Forwards: Fernando Torres, Romelu Lukaku, Andre Schurrle, Juan Mata, Demba Ba

(Note the lack of Moses)

Quite interested to see how this goes, Mourinho will be wanting a win here, hopefully we'll hold up okay but our chances of winning are very slim IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan94adibi)
    So Eto'o it is then.
    I think it's a good short term solution to our striking problems and Lukaku can start moving into the first team slowly and nicely.
    I think this signing makes sense. If you think about it Jose played him on the right at Inter, pretty sure this is where he will be played at Chelsea too, and that's where we're struggling in numbers.
    It was a weird formation at inter, wasn't it a 4-2-1-3 with three forwards/strikers. He'll be played up top I think. Where did he play at barca? up top or the left?

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to someone who watched the russian league regularly (in china, since it's shown regularly there). Apparently, Et'o's ability is still there for definite but he just doesn't seem to give a **** when playing and is pretty lazy. I would hope under Mourinho that he would make more of an effort then since he's worked brilliantly under him in the past and has often commended him.

However he has been deployed/pushed out wide (like Inter) rather than as a CF so what would we do? Although he was played up front at Barca...

--------

Apparently we've gotten Atsu because it makes it easier to get Mangala (or Martinez) in the future. Atsu wanted to go so we're taking him off their hands. Interesting idea.

But Mangala... great defender and I've been critical of our defense but when I think about it, how much is he needed? Been really impressed with Terry thus far which is a good thing. And going into it more Luiz/Cahill are fine too. Luiz might be a liability but I don't recall a game where we've lost because of his mistakes. Is his positioning that much of a problem as well? Where he has he looked undisciplined that has led us to losing / conceding a silly goal|?

Cahill should improve under Mourinho. And although does perform best next to Terry (who tells him what do and whatnot), he's been paired with others like Luiz and Ivan in important game likes the CL final / EL final and we still did fine.

So yeah, Terry/Ivan/Luiz/Kalas/Cahill sounds fine tbh. Had the second most clean sheets as well last season and condeced more than just City and arsenal, so with Mourinho we should be fine in defence.

ReputationRep:
    We should be fine for the game, 2-1 eitherway, bayern have controlled games but not to the level of last season, they tend to monopolise possession but don't create as many gaps as they did before and as seen by the united game we can defend very well if we just narrow down and drop deep, main thing would be to stop schweinsteigger who'd probably be their DLP from getting passes and making sure the fullbacks and wingers track back when they lose the ball. They have the stronger midfield though no doubt so we're just going to be forced to give them no space whatsoever.

Reckon we'll just play defensive majority of the match but I can't see bayern not scoring and can't see where we'd get our goals from bar set pieces and hazard/oscar probably as they seem to be able to pull things out of the bag out of nothing. All in all a good test though. Look forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    Should line up like this:

Cech

Cole Terry Cahill Ivanovic

Lampard Ramires

Willian Mata Hazard

Lukaku

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    I spoke to someone who watched the russian league regularly (in china, since it's shown regularly there). Apparently, Et'o's ability is still there for definite but he just doesn't seem to give a **** when playing and is pretty lazy. I would hope under Mourinho that he would make more of an effort then since he's worked brilliantly under him in the past and has often commended him.

However he has been deployed/pushed out wide (like Inter) rather than as a CF so what would we do? Although he was played up front at Barca...

--------

Apparently we've gotten Atsu because it makes it easier to get Mangala (or Martinez) in the future. Atsu wanted to go so we're taking him off their hands. Interesting idea.

But Mangala... great defender and I've been critical of our defense but when I think about it, how much is he needed? Been really impressed with Terry thus far which is a good thing. And going into it more Luiz/Cahill are fine too. Luiz might be a liability but I don't recall a game where we've lost because of his mistakes. Is his positioning that much of a problem as well? Where he has he looked undisciplined that has led us to losing / conceding a silly goal|?

Cahill should improve under Mourinho. And although does perform best next to Terry (who tells him what do and whatnot), he's been paired with others like Luiz and Ivan in important game likes the CL final / EL final and we still did fine.

So yeah, Terry/Ivan/Luiz/Kalas/Cahill sounds fine tbh.
    Good to hear that about eto'o. He'll be good under mourinho if that's the case I feel.

Thought there was an ulterior motive in getting atsu tbf.

Pretty much what I was saying, remember essien can play there if needed and tbh I can trust him at full back or even CB, Cahill and terry seems like the best partnership though.

Tbh it's obvious that terry should have played more last season, I was never convinced with luiz/ivan and cahill/luiz as they have too many individual faults, while terry only lacks pace but is great at every other side of the game. I know he's got stick over the racism case, but in being a defender he's still top class. If we get a CB, they need to be as good as terry imo otherwise it's basically adding to an already congested squad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattmejevie)
    Should line up like this:

Cech

Cole Terry Cahill Ivanovic

Lampard Ramires

Willian Mata Hazard

Lukaku
    Would get obliterated on the wings and the formation is way too attacking, lampard lacks mobility and is too attacking. Mata isn't fully fit and Willian hasn't played for us yet to then start a game vs bayern. We'd concede 3 goals with ease. I don't know too much about willian's defensive work rate though but we really need players willing to track back and stop the runs of the fullbacks/wingers as that's a vital part of their play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Would get obliterated on the wings and the formation is way too attacking, lampard lacks mobility and is too attacking. Mata isn't fully fit and Willian hasn't played for us yet to then start a game vs bayern. We'd concede 3 goals with ease. I don't know too much about willian's defensive work rate though but we really need players willing to track back and stop the runs of the fullbacks/wingers as that's a vital part of their play.
    Yeah but I don't see us winning it even if we did play with Oscar etc who are willing to track back so I think we might as well just go for it, perfect time for Mata to get some game time as it isn't as important as the BPL. In response to Willian we've seen what he can do and again, it is a chance for him to play and show us what he can do. Sometimes it's best to get thrown in at the deep end.

ReputationRep:
    Probable line up

Cech

Ivanovic-Terry-Cahill-Cole

Van Ginkel- Ramires

Oscar-Hazard-Mata/De Bruyne

Ba

I think Hazard and Oscar should be rested, but at the same time we don't play league football for another 3 weeks. Lampard has played too much football and with the anchor midfield setup, we have the legs to press for the majority of the game

ReputationRep:
    Probable line up

Cech

Ivanovic-Terry-Cahill-Cole

Van Ginkel- Ramires

Oscar-Hazard-Mata/De Bruyne

Ba

I think Hazard and Oscar should be rested, but at the same time we don't play league football for another 3 weeks. Lampard has played too much football and with the anchor midfield setup, we have the legs to press for the majority of the game
    I hope that's what we play. Maybe that's why lamps started all those matches so he doesn't start vs bayern, I hope it's not a SAF giggs case of playing him for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)

So yeah, Terry/Ivan/Luiz/Kalas/Cahill sounds fine tbh. Had the second most clean sheets as well last season and condeced more than just City and arsenal, so with Mourinho we should be fine in defence.
    If Wallace does well at Inter he could return next year and rotate with Azpi, allowing Ivanovic to play CB more often. He looked very good in preseason, but he didn't have much defensive work to do and it was against poor opposition so I guess we'll see. If that does happen I think we'll be fine for CB for another season, perhaps start looking for a replacement for Terry unless Chalobah or Kalas can step up.

ReputationRep:
    FOOTBALL
    Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho reacted angrily when told he had only won three of his 15 meetings with former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola, whose Bayern Munich the Blues face in the Uefa Super Cup in Prague on Friday.

"Your statistics are very wrong," he said. "Go and see what happened when I was with Inter in the Champions League semi-final, the King's Cup final with Real in Spain, the Super Cup in Spain.

"Maybe you are right and I am wrong but I don't care. This is not about us, it's about Chelsea and Bayern. If you want to ask questions about Chelsea I am here until four o'clock. If you want to ask questions about Real or Barcelona then I'm not here."

I don't think Mourinho likes being WUMed..

ReputationRep:
    http://www.chelseafc.com/news-articl...tle/etoo-signs

Eto'o is done, 1-year contract, BBC were reporting it was a free transfer and we'll be paying him £7m in wages, not bad.

ReputationRep:
    dunno if i'm happy about this or not - on the one hand it will give us a good shot at winning the league this year , on the other hand it will hampers lukaku's development and in the long-run it's not a viable solution.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.