Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Would have hurt a lot less had we lost in full time. All of that hard work undone with 2 seconds remaining. Lukaku will learn from this.
    If we can play this well we have nothing to fear. Anyone else realize that the Ref blew at 15:52 for first half of ET - scored at 31:02 for equaliser. If only the Ref blew 10 secs early in the 2nd half of ET. A game of fine margins.

ReputationRep:
    Hazard, Cahill & Luiz :congrats::congrats::congrats:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    I'd add Schurrle on there as well, he was very good especially in the first half

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha you know Jose is pissed off:

Jose Mourinho: "The best team lost. The opponents scored two, we scored two. But they scored one more penalty. But the best team clearly lost the match.

"The best team played with 10 men for a long, long period in the game. We played against the champions of Europe and my players were the best team - we only have reasons to be proud to believe in the future. But I prefer just to say the best team lost and stay with it."
    But still, what could have been. European Champions, Europa League champions, and European Super Cup winners in consecutive seasons. What a pedigree that would have been :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Schurrle had a great game I thought. Disappointing pre-season but he caused havoc down that right hand side.

ReputationRep:
    Schurrle's performance today - on the right wing - makes the signing of Willian even less justifiable.

Gut-wrenching

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skkc16)
    I'd add Schurrle on there as well, he was very good especially in the first half

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, he was good. Let's put it this way:

Hazard, Cahill, Schurrle & Luiz :congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

Cole :yy:
    Cech :yy: (apart from the first goal)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)

Schurrle :yy:
    Oscar made like 20 tackles, all of this makes it so worst. Bringing Terry on for Hazard proved to be a bad move after all. Same as what Bayern did in 2012 Final, bringing on a 5th defender lead to the equalizer. Almost as if it was karma.

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but think that with the resources and stature that Chelsea have in this era they should be a little more authorative in games. Tonight I have to admit that they were up against the best side in Europe but, this was a great time to play them as they are undergoing a subtle change in their game and they started without Goetze and Martinez, and Schweinsteiger wasn't there at all. Feel that a strong midfielder like makelele or ballaxk is needed in the team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Oscar made like 20 tackles, all of this makes it so worst. Bringing Terry on for Hazard proved to be a bad move after all. Same as what Bayern did in 2012 Final, bringing on a 5th defender lead to the equalizer. Almost as if it was karma.
    Did he? Wow. I know he put himself about and couldn't fault him for effort. But I thought the players I listed above were Chelsea's best players today.

I kinda agree about the JT sub being a bad move. It affected Chelsea's shape to the extent that Bayern were able to put even more pressure on Chelsea's defence. But at the same time, you could understand Jose's thinking.

To look at it another way, if Lukaku had done better to try and block Alaba's cross or tackle him rather than backing off, then Bayern's equaliser may not have happened. And you would likely have won the game.

Anyway, I think you guys can be proud of your players tonight. They played their hearts out.

I feel sorry for Lukaku but that was a terrible penalty. Just terrible.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Jose has stopped with blaming referees.

Guess it's easier not to blame them when you've won.

ReputationRep:
    You guys played great tonight and there were definitely a lot more positives than negatives to take from the game. Cahill and Luiz were sublime, Hazard was simply world-class, and Torres looked sharp up front on more than one occasion. If you play anything like you did tonight during your PL/CL campaigns then you will have a very successful season in my honest opinion. Was good seeing Jose's passion on the touchline however, I think he did make a few mistakes with his late substitutions. Fair enough Terry should have come on for his ability to command the defence and provide leadership at the back however, I felt either Hazard or Torres should have stayed on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)

Hazard, Cahill, Schurrle & Luiz :congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

Cole was so good today. They couldn't get past him at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogwithwings)
    I can't help but think that with the resources and stature that Chelsea have in this era we should be a little more authorative in games. Tonight I have to admit that they were up against the best side in Europe but, this was a great time to play them as they are undergoing a subtle change in their game and they started without Goetze and Martinez, and Schweinsteiger wasn't there at all. Feel that a strong midfielder like makelele or ballaxk is needed in the team.
    Agreed. But maybe we should be a bit more patient with Jose.

I think Chelsea should have lined up with a 4-3-3 if they wanted to take the game to Bayern whilst still remaining solid defensively. The 4-3-3 would have helped them match Bayern's midfield better and give them more control of the game.

But it was still a decent performance from Chelsea before Ramires was sent off. After that, I thought Chelsea were brilliant defensively with 10 men and did well to score another goal. Cech also played his part in keeping Chelsea in the game.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps he should have used Terry-Hazard switch on the 30th minute to slow down the intensity of play and bring Neur back to his base line.
    We will only come back with a lot more passion, desire and spirit to succeed. Buying Willian has prooven to be even more stupid. Schurrle was beasting it on the right wing, he is strong, fast, good at holding play, good work rates and defending. To remove Oscar from team after his performance will be very harsh. Sniping Willian from Spurs is a big mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Cole was so good today. They couldn't get past him at all.
    Yeah.

Although I'm happy for Pep, I am really gutted for Chelsea.

Hopefully, this gives them the encouragement to make up for tonight by winning the league.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Perhaps he should have used Terry-Hazard switch on the 30th minute to slow down the intensity of play and bring Neur back to his base line.
    We will only come back with a lot more passion, desire and spirit to succeed. Buying Willian has prooven to be even more stupid. Schurrle was beasting it on the right wing, he is strong, fast, good at holding play, good work rates and defending. To remove Oscar from team after his performance will be very harsh. Sniping Willian from Spurs is a big mistake.
    Willian is mostly a left winger though.

ReputationRep:
    The importance of Oscars miss now.

Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    You guys played great tonight and there were definitely a lot more positives than negatives to take from the game. Cahill and Luiz were sublime, Hazard was simply world-class, and Torres looked sharp up front on more than once occasion. If you play anything like you did tonight during your PL/CL campaign then you will have a very successful season in my honest opinion. Was good seeing Jose's passion on the touchline however, I think he did make a few mistakes with his late substitutions. Fair enough Terry should have come on for his ability to command the defence and provide some leadership at the back however, I felt either Hazard or Torres should have stayed on.
    Hazard should have stayed on, seems like we had no threat on the counter, I think a problem was when we got possession, had we got hazard he'd have driven it to the wings. But eventually we just allowed too much pressure without any outlet. Oh and lukaku needs to improve his ability on the ball

ReputationRep:
    Big moment in Lukaku's career. Could be the making of him.

Or it could ruin him, lol. Terrible penalty tbf.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.