Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    anyone could have won this match unfortunately it was us who lost, but I'm glad it was just the super cup than the real uefa champions league or even europa league.

now i kinda know how bayern and benfica felt when we beat them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    I think we should immediately start him in the next match. The worst thing we can do now is let him dwell on this and let it affect his game. Play him up top, let him get a goal, and let's put all this behind us :yy:

KTBFFH
    I agree with that. Who's your next game against?

ReputationRep:
    How the **** did Bayern score right in the last 30 seconds?!

So close!

Man I know that was a bad penalty but I hope Lukaku's confidence hasn't been dented by this. And I do not like all these 'new Drogba' comments -- the continual comparison with Drogba may haunt him and while he's still young he's showing potential but still has a long way to go. Think this will affect his performances and may have had some effect today. Just let this guy develop and be himself without this much pressure ffs

Still, great performance, and I'm feeling a lot more confident about our team. I agree with the comment about needing that sturdy midfield that we had in the past though.

Hazard was bloody amazing btw. Schurrle/Cahill/Luiz and Cech were brilliant as well.

This should make Lukaku stronger. He is going to destroy the opposition. Hat-trick against Everton!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    Everton, still finding their feet under Martinez. Lukaku could give them a good tonking.

ReputationRep:
    Also, will Terry ever get a real dose of European glory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    Looks like it's Everton away, so not the easiest of games.

Also hope he's not phasing Mata out of the starting XI

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Everton, still finding their feet under Martinez. Lukaku could give them a good tonking.
    Thanks.

Yeah, Everton will take some time to adapt to Martinez. And Martinez is no Moyes. So it's safe to say Everton are looking very vulnerable against the likes of Chelsea right now.

I'd hate to be in JM's position right now, concerning the best XI for Chelsea. What do you think is your best team right now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Looks like it's Everton away, so not the easiest of games.

Also hope he's not phasing Mata out of the starting XI
    Hope not. But the good thing is that it will get Mata to play at his best because there's now lots of competition for his position.

What do you think is your best starting XI atm, considering the signing of Eto'o and Willian as well?

ReputationRep:
    Essien has really taken Lukaku under his wing.
    After tonight I'm looking forward to our matches against City. Hopefully we can actually win one this season

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Still, while u did look alright i'm quite glad that the Chelski scums have lost, no sympathy at all and maureen is a sore loser who will struggle to win against guardiola. That's 8-3 now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skkc16)
    Essien has really taken Lukaku under his wing.
    After tonight I'm looking forward to our matches against City. Hopefully we can actually win one this season

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Think we played 6 matches last season and didn't beat them in one

ReputationRep:
    Nice performance. Bayern expectedly dominated possession but lacked that cutting pass mainly due to our defending. We limited them to half chances and shots from outside the area until the second half of extra time. At the same time, we created better chances before full time hitting the post, plus Luiz' header, Torres hitting over and Oscar's sitter.

Shame Ramires got sent off although he did deserve it. Only thing that concerned me was taking Hazard off. It meant that everytime we had the ball, we'd just lump it up the field back into Bayern's possession. So it was only a matter of time till Bayern created chances like they did in the last 5-10 minutes of extra time

If we can play like that regularly against top opposition, then we should fancy ourselves more in Europe out of all the British teams. We look very dangerous on the break and should definitely have scored at least twice in normal time. Schurrle really put in a shift today on the right and his pace was causing Bayern problems all night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    I know. It was very disheartening

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    I'd hate to be in JM's position right now, concerning the best XI for Chelsea. What do you think is your best team right now?
    Entirely dependant on what type of game we're playing, counter-attacking or possession. We have players for both now.
    Also no one has seen what the team can do yet and there's plenty of different line-ups to try to see who clicks the best.

For me, I'm not saying it's the best, But I'd really love to see a formation such as the following.

Cech - Cole, Ivan, Luiz, Azpi - MVG (B2B), KDB/Oscar (DLP) - Schurrle, Mata/Willian, Hazard - Lukaku/Eto'o.

Hazard and Schurrle where immense on the wings tonight, and they both tracked back well. Their defensive work rate was brilliant.

Oscar and KDB have both played a deeper role, and I'm hoping one of them will be moulded there to replace lamps and to free up room upfront. Oscar would be my preferred choice as his tackling and marking has really came on.

I think Ivan and Luiz would only work if we pressed a lot, such as tonight, and the midfield could control a game. They're both attack minded and if we didn't close down as a team it would be a disaster pairing, but personally I think they're the two best CB's.

MVG is self explanatory, Good defensively and will work hard to retain the ball. Better passing than Ramires.

Not sure on how good Eto'o is still, but he looks like he still has it, just wasn't motivated at Anzi. Lukaku should progress further this season.

Think Willian has been under rated by a lot of people. Will speed up the play more than Mata, but then again Mata is Mata. The only problem with Mata is he's a bit like Ozil. Poor defensively and tires late in game. But he's still world-class until he gets fatigued.

The entire team would be dependant on the Pivot, they'd control the game but whether they'd hold up defensively I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    City are always difficult for us. Ruined our unbeaten season under Mourinho, ah well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    City are always difficult for us. Ruined our unbeaten season under Mourinho, ah well.
    Yeah. By a penalty as well! (Superb team that was, though. Not the most attractive but so damn efficient! :moon:)

Wb btw - haven't seen you post here in a while.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. By a penalty as well! (Superb team that was, though. Not the most attractive but so damn efficient! :moon:)

Wb btw - haven't seen you post here in a while.
    Thank-you. I wasn't intending to return. However I needed some info for uni and ended dragging myself in here. Couldn't help it. Needed to discuss football with someone.

On an alternative note I hate international breaks. Two weeks until the next match, sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Thank-you. I wasn't intending to return. However I needed some info for uni and ended dragging myself in here. Couldn't help it. Needed to discuss football with someone.

On an alternative note I hate international breaks. Two weeks until the next match, sigh.
    Yeah I'm going to stop going here when uni starts.

International breaks just destroy football sometimes, I guess the advantage is that you get a midweek game and a weekend game, so for the most part you get more football. Oh and CL starts the week after international break.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Going hyperdefensive works most effectively when you have an outlet to relieve pressure. He got that tactic wrong, especially with our immobile midfield with lamps and mikel there was literally nobody to drive, I guess his reasoning was that lukaku would do a role like that, but most of the time he was playing as a defensive winger on the right side. A real shame ramires got sent off too as he'd have been the perfect man to help us in this situation.

But I think we'll be ready by the next time we face bayern, so I'm not worried here.
    I agree 100% that the 'pressure reliever' was missing in extra time however, it must have been difficult for Jose to compose a set of tactics to cater for the Ramires sending off as well the inevitable waves of attack from Bayern Munich. At the end of the day the tactics were working until the last second of extra time, conceding the goal was more down to luck rather than tactics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yeah I'm going to stop going here when uni starts.

International breaks just destroy football sometimes, I guess the advantage is that you get a midweek game and a weekend game, so for the most part you get more football. Oh and CL starts the week after international break.
    No idea how people have time to go on here at Uni. I know I won't.

Not particularly looking forward to CL, well the group stages. Only thing is watching Draxler, other than that, pretty boring games for us. Just hope we get to see some mixed line-ups.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.