Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Good point tbf, maybe I'm not giving us enough credit, we held our own against them so made it hard for them to play, they look rather vulnerable on the counter, which was a characteristic of pep teams, the munich of last season would make a counter attack impossible for anybody but dortmund, who play the exact same style.

I guess in this case the whole point of dominating possession is to allow as few chances for the opposition team as possible, they will get better as the season progresses too, but I wouldn't be bricking it if we got them in the CL though.

I doubt bayern will win the CL tbh, personally barca, madrid or one of us or city are the likelyhood. I know bayern have a strong team, but I think they'll be found out by a team that's more clinical with their counters e.g. dortmund and I don't know how they'd do against barca this time if pep is trying to implement tiki taka to bayern against a more experienced barca side.

I think we will sort our striker problems this season as well so should do well against bayern the next time we face them.

I think we'll probably win the prem or be <5 points behind and get to the quarters of CL at least this season... I think guardiola needs to stick with the old system and gradually change it over a year or two, otherwise he could encounter the same situation villanova encountered at barca last season.
    Hmm, I'm not too sure. If you look at Bayern Munich's opponents last year through the knock-outs, except for Dortmund, none of them were particularly quick counter-attacking teams except Arsenal whose defence is as leaky as drainpipes. Juventus and Barcelona are good teams, but the both like to keep the ball. Juventus aren't quick, while Barcelona don't play on the break because they always have the ball. And Barcelona's players are all stickmen and have added to their collection of sticks with Neymar. Had Bayern come across Real Madrid who are very quick, strong and aggressive, they wouldn't have got out so easily. Yes, they beat Real madrid in 2012, but that was barely although they did play well to their credit in both legs.

Bayern were worthy winners, but I wouldn't put any cash on them retaining their title. Barcelona are the only team in the past 10 years who you would say that they were strong favourites to retain the Champions League

ReputationRep:
    I am actually quite interested to see how you guys will respond to loss against Bayern in the Everton game. Jose talking to the media and making the 'controversial' statements he did last night seemed to be a deliberate ploy to shift media attention away from the likes of Lukaku and onto himself. Personally, I think that was a very honourable thing to do for the team.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_wizard123)
    Don't forget 2008!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That dark dark day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    Hmm, I'm not too sure. If you look at Bayern Munich's opponents last year through the knock-outs, except for Dortmund, none of them were particularly quick counter-attacking teams except Arsenal whose defence is as leaky as drainpipes. Juventus and Barcelona are good teams, but the both like to keep the ball. Juventus aren't quick, while Barcelona don't play on the break because they always have the ball. And Barcelona's players are all stickmen and have added to their collection of sticks with Neymar. Had Bayern come across Real Madrid who are very quick, strong and aggressive, they wouldn't have got out so easily. Yes, they beat Real madrid in 2012, but that was barely although they did play well to their credit in both legs.

Bayern were worthy winners, but I wouldn't put any cash on them retaining their title. Barcelona are the only team in the past 10 years who you would say that they were strong favourites to retain the Champions League
    Good points, the draw was very good for bayern, real vs bayern would be a tougher game tbf. Tbh right now they're still a shadow of the team last year though. Still great but not as good as they were then.

I probably was looking at how they struggled to get out their half, arsenal couldn't get into bayerns area because schweinsteigger will just get the ball back with martinez and pass it around quickly.

I highly doubt bayern will win it again. Like I said there's 4 teams I think that will probably win it. Bayern are not one of them I feel. And bayern madrid was rather even, shame madrid did so bad in the first leg vs BVB otherwise I think they would have won it that year if they had bayern to face.

Your predictions on CL winners?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Vain)
    I am actually quite interested to see how you guys will respond to loss against Bayern in the Everton game. Jose talking to the media and making the 'controversial' statements he did last night seemed to be a deliberate ploy to shift media attention away from the likes of Lukaku and onto himself. Personally, I think that was a very honourable thing to do for the team.
    We'll be fine, I hope lukaku starts though, we played well, so there's no problem there. Everton are struggling to find their feet and attacking wise they looked poor so I think we'll win fairly easily 1 or 2-0

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't write off Bayern this early tbh. Injuries have made it difficult for Pep to introduce the changes he is trying to make to the side. He plans on having Martinez at CB, Thiago in midfield and Gotze in front of him along with Schwein in a triangle. And they also have Kroos which is just ridiculous depth in midfield. When it all clicks together I reckon Bayern will be better than last season. Opposing teams won't even see the ball.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely agree with what you said, it is pretty plain to see, I'd understand why 4-3-3 would work best with ramires though, he hasn't got the qualities of a physical DM, and tbh he wouldn't have to try so hard to retrieve the ball if there's another person behind him to sweep up and we can just use him for his driving qualities.

Again though, like I said, I struggle to see where we'd fit ramires, limited player, great at times but mourinho's midfields dominated/controlled games usually due to the midfield duo/trio. Alonso and khedira, cambiasso, motta and sneijder, then maka, lamps, essien. I do think that jose is looking at this as a long term project though, the way he says we're youth and how he had men in his first stint. Tbh this is the only thing he can do atm to improve as a manager too so it works to our's and his advantage. I think he'll use the youngsters. Maybe not the academy but at least we won't be vitesse loaning everyone under 21 now.
    Yes, I think a 4-3-3 we would have Ramires/Oscar (creativity)/Luiz (DLP):

But then again, that possession role is what MVG could do -- and better than Ramires. (Really in that 4-3-3 you could change it around too. Luiz I'm sure would love the BBM creative style player MVG could be the DLP and Oscar could try winning the ball back.) All could transition from attack to defence well tbh. Just don't know what to do with Ramires.

Good point about Mourinho there. Hopefully it is long-term.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be ****ed if Pep turns Martinez to a CB. He shouldn't be there. He should be staying in CDM, he's a wonderful talent there.

Don't think Bayern will be as strong under Pep as Jupp.

Wonder if Lewan would stay at Dortmund if they won the CL/BuLi. and Bayern got neither.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshL123)
    Hey everyone! Posted on here once or twice What are you reactions on the game last night. Of course as a Chelsea fan I am gutted but I have to admit that the squad seemed a lot more stronger than the one we played against Bayern in the CL final. Where's Drogba when you need him- Still reckon it was a mistake selling him!
    We didn't sell Drogba. We even offered him a new deal. He turned it down, because he wanted to go out on a high, a new challenge (and more money) in China. He could clearly still do the business. But for the good of Torres (and in the long run the team) he had to go. It would be better to phase out all of the bigger core of the team over time.

Look at Arsenal. They lost the most important parts of their invincible's squad (Henry, Pires, Cole, Viera) within a season or two of each other. Drogba would have been good to provide experience for the other players such as Lampard, Cech and Terry are now, but in the 2011-2012 season he only scored about 5 goals aside from the CL all season.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong though, he's still in our top 3 players ever.

ReputationRep:
    We'll be fine, I hope lukaku starts though, we played well, so there's no problem there. Everton are struggling to find their feet and attacking wise they looked poor so I think we'll win fairly easily 1 or 2-0
    Would love Lukaku to start against Everton, would really show we have faith in him after last night. Hopefully Mata will feature too though and I'd like to see Willian and Eto'o.

ReputationRep:
    Thank **** Madrid are going for Bale. This should hopefully lengthen the amount of time we'll have Hazard.

Would really like to see Willian and Eto'o as well. (The former esp.)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Thank **** Madrid are going for Bale. This should hopefully lengthen the amount of time we'll have Hazard.

Suarez Saga
    Rooney Saga
    Bale Saga
    I dont see any of them going through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enoxial)
    Suarez Saga
    Rooney Saga
    Bale Saga
    I dont see any of them going through.
    Bale is gone already lol. He left to go talk to madrid, bale hasn't left yet but he's agreed personal terms and madrid and spurs are just sorting out the fee. Rooney was always a maybe, Moyes words were misinterpreted as he's not their main player. I did think that we'd put in a big offer for rooney that they can't refuse but it made little sense for united to sell to chelsea unless it was a big offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)

Surely Madrid getting Bale doesn't affect any future interest they'd have in Hazard? If the rumours of Ronaldo wanting to join United next year are true then there is a possibility they'd want Hazard to replace him :confused:

More likely scenario of course is that Hazard will be at Chelsea for a long time due to Mourinho and him possibly being the 'star' of the team though

ReputationRep:
    Make no mistake, if Madrid want Hazard, you guys are powerless to stop him. Sooner or later, he will leave for them, if they want him, that is. It seems like a logical career move in 1-3 seasons time.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Bale is gone already lol. He left to go talk to madrid, bale hasn't left yet but he's agreed personal terms and madrid and spurs are just sorting out the fee. Rooney was always a maybe, Moyes words were misinterpreted as he's not their main player. I did think that we'd put in a big offer for rooney that they can't refuse but it made little sense for united to sell to chelsea unless it was a big offer.
    Lol, I would really like to see Ronaldo and Bale's ego to clash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Surely Madrid getting Bale doesn't affect any future interest they'd have in Hazard? If the rumours of Ronaldo wanting to join United next year are true then there is a possibility they'd want Hazard to replace him :confused:

More likely scenario of course is that Hazard will be at Chelsea for a long time due to Mourinho and him possibly being the 'star' of the team though
    I don't think Ronaldo will be leaving.

No, I still think they're going to go for Hazard -- I just think with them buying Bale they'll get him a bit later instead . I doubt Hazard will be here for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    We didn't sell Drogba. We even offered him a new deal. He turned it down, because he wanted to go out on a high, a new challenge (and more money) in China. He could clearly still do the business. But for the good of Torres (and in the long run the team) he had to go. It would be better to phase out all of the bigger core of the team over time.

Look at Arsenal. They lost the most important parts of their invincible's squad (Henry, Pires, Cole, Viera) within a season or two of each other. Drogba would have been good to provide experience for the other players such as Lampard, Cech and Terry are now, but in the 2011-2012 season he only scored about 5 goals aside from the CL all season.
    My bad. Sorry my mind went crazy for a second haha, I was being stupid! I agree with you but I would have loved to see him stay! Its sad to see so many star players leave but they make way for youngsters that have the ability to grow better and become stars in their own right. I would have loved to see players like Reuss or Christian Eriksen come to chelsea!

Personally I would like to see Rooney come to Chelsea (though the deal seems definitely off now).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Entirely dependant on what type of game we're playing, counter-attacking or possession. We have players for both now.
    Also no one has seen what the team can do yet and there's plenty of different line-ups to try to see who clicks the best.

For me, I'm not saying it's the best, But I'd really love to see a formation such as the following.

Cech - Cole, Ivan, Luiz, Azpi - MVG (B2B), KDB/Oscar (DLP) - Schurrle, Mata/Willian, Hazard - Lukaku/Eto'o.

Hazard and Schurrle where immense on the wings tonight, and they both tracked back well. Their defensive work rate was brilliant.

Oscar and KDB have both played a deeper role, and I'm hoping one of them will be moulded there to replace lamps and to free up room upfront. Oscar would be my preferred choice as his tackling and marking has really came on.

I think Ivan and Luiz would only work if we pressed a lot, such as tonight, and the midfield could control a game. They're both attack minded and if we didn't close down as a team it would be a disaster pairing, but personally I think they're the two best CB's.

MVG is self explanatory, Good defensively and will work hard to retain the ball. Better passing than Ramires.

Not sure on how good Eto'o is still, but he looks like he still has it, just wasn't motivated at Anzi. Lukaku should progress further this season.

Think Willian has been under rated by a lot of people. Will speed up the play more than Mata, but then again Mata is Mata. The only problem with Mata is he's a bit like Ozil. Poor defensively and tires late in game. But he's still world-class until he gets fatigued.

The entire team would be dependant on the Pivot, they'd control the game but whether they'd hold up defensively I don't know.
    Alright. Interesting points.

Imo, Terry and Luiz are your best CBs.

I agree that the first XI selection depends on the opposition. But if I had to go with what could be Chelsea's best XI, it'll be this:

Cech, Azpi, Luiz, Terry, Cole, MVG, Lampard/Essien, Schurrle, Mata, Hazard, Eto'o.

The double pivot would depend on the opposition. If you want more defensive reassurance against a big team, then Essien + MVG combo is best. Essien will be the DM and MVG will be B2B. If you want more going forward, then MVG + Lampard combo is best. MVG will be the more defensive one out of the two.

But all in all, it's great that Chelsea have so many options to pick from against different opponents.

I'm looking forward to what Jose does with the squad over the season.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.