Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if Lukaku is allowed to play against us while on his loan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    Don't think so. Funnily enough we have them next in the league. Looking forward to the prospect of a Fellani-less Everton.
    Plus, if United think Fellaini in midfield is an improvement on Scholesy, they've got another thing coming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    I know.

I was shocked. Absolutely gobsmacked at the signing.

If Ozil hits the ground running, Arsenal have got top 4 in the bag. Simple as that.

But then again, what happens if Giroud gets a long term injury? Can they cope?
    I wouldn't be so hopeful of that. Eriksen is a steal for Spurs at 12 mill. Shame he couldn't play on Sunday. He's got the makings of a top player, like Ozil just before he joined Madrid. He should cost double that had his contract not been expiring next year. Him and Lamela should work some magic with Soldado.
    I think it's still gonna be tough for Arsenal and Spurs, with AVB unlucky as to get 71 points and to still finish outside the top 4. The team will take time to gel,but I think if they can get results while they're gelling, they could cause disruption to the top 4. Ultimately, I beleive our defense is what's setting us apart from Tottenham and Arsenal and if Eto'o hits the ground running, that'll put us in even better stead.

Torres has been working hard and his effort against Bayern shows he can produce on the big occasion. Although, he wasn't great against United, you can see that he has the striker instinct that Schurrle hasn't quite got and had he played the whole 90 minutes, we would've been much more threatening offensively.

ReputationRep:
    We'll at an advantage with regards to both but less so with regards to Arsenal tbf. Still need to get a DM and a CB though.

We needed a CM/DM too, and whilst Van Ginkel is a promising player, how much was a raw midfielder needed when we have Aké, Chalobah McEachran and the like? We missed out on Moutinho (), Illarramendi, didn't appear to make an effort for De Rossi, Gustavo. All would've started for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    We'll at an advantage with regards to both but less so with regards to Arsenal tbf. Still need to get a DM and a CB though.

We needed a CM/DM too, and whilst Van Ginkel is a promising player, how much was a raw midfielder needed when we have Aké, Chalobah McEachran and the like? We missed out on Moutinho (), Illarramendi, didn't appear to make an effort for De Rossi, Gustavo. All would've started for us.
    dude, I hope I'm not wrong but Eriksen has all the tools to be as good as, if not better than Ozil. Ozil is top notch, but Eriksen is very promising. Tottenham may struggle to keep hold of him if they don't get CL football in the next 2 years. But with him in the team, they should

The only thing Tottenham lack is real pacy goal threat like Walcott and Hazard offer, which Bale had and Lennon lacked (goal threat that is). Saying that, Townsend could be that guy for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    dude, I hope I'm not wrong but Eriksen has all the tools to be as good as, if not better than Ozil. Ozil is top notch, but Eriksen is very promising. Tottenham may struggle to keep hold of him if they don't get CL football in the next 2 years. But with him in the team, they should

The only thing Tottenham lack is real pacy goal threat like Walcott and Hazard offer, which Bale had and Lennon lacked (goal threat that is). Saying that, Townsend could be that guy for them.
    Is that not going a little bit far? I thought he was meant to look very promising a few years ago but appears to have, well, I can't say not lived up the hype seeing as he's just 21, but not looked as good someone would've expected. Although he is still young so maybe...

Townsend looking good for them. Also have Lamela as a goal threat too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)

Lamela is supposedly pacey and got 15 goals in serie A. So I guess he's that guy you speak of.

ReputationRep:
    Is that not going a little bit far? I thought he was meant to look very promising a few years ago but appears to have, well, I can't say not lived up the hype seeing as he's just 21, but not looked as good someone would've expected. Although he is still young so maybe...

Townsend looking good for them. Also have Lamela as a goal threat too
    If you stay at a selling club for too long, you're not going to improve because there's no-one to learn from in Eriksen's case. Saying that, his goal tally has been improving, and he's racked up almost 50 assists in his last 3 years at Ajax. Saying that, the Dutch league has a considerably higher goals per game ratio (around 3.0 vs ~2.5 in most other leagues) so this is skewed however still impressive for a 21 year old. As you've seen with Ozil, being around better players brings you up a level so I see no reason why he can't get to Ozil's level. I may have slightly exaggerated his potential, but he's a very good player and at his age will only get better

ReputationRep:
    hmm he ain't blistering quick tbh. Mate had him on FIFA and his speed got to like 90+ so I got confused there haha.
    What I have seen of him though is that he's a good dribbler, with some burst in pace and a goal threat.

He hasn't got the Eden Hazard/ Ronaldo kind of pace that I'm referring to, although pace is not the be all, although it makes a huge difference

ReputationRep:
    I still think Spurs will finish ahead of Arsenal, simply because of their squad depth. Ozil no doubt is better than any Spurs player, but if he get's injured (which is a possibility given that he can't really last 90 minutes at a time) then Arsenal are back to square one and essentially the same squad they've had for the last two seasons or so. Even if Lamela get's injured they've got suitable backup in Eriksen and then Sigurdsson.

Also have to laugh at the names they've given their versions of Mazacar/Wizard. I think yesterday I read they've got something stupid like Rambox.

ReputationRep:
    At least I have positive rep gems now.

ReputationRep:
    Good points Bulletz.

So what's our new name then for our midfielders? De Schmazascarian?

ReputationRep:
    So...err is mata safe?

ReputationRep:
    Wow Arsenal fans are pathetic. One of them just said that a trophy is just a bit of metal and that they'd rather play attractive football and not win, than play slightly less attacking football and win things. Utter utter dic kheads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CFC Blue)
    Wow Arsenal fans are pathetic. One of them just said that a trophy is just a bit of metal and that they'd rather play attractive football and not win, than play slightly less attacking football and win things. Utter utter dic kheads.
    Ask them how much they're paying for their tickets. It's easy to downplay the importance of silverware when you're an armchair fan and their ticket prices I've heard are insane.

Welcome back.

ReputationRep:
    Good points Bulletz.

So what's our new name then for our midfielders? De Schmazascarian?
    LOL ye that will do actually. It actually sounds like an Armenian name (Mkhitaryan, Kardashian) minus the De haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    So...err is mata safe?
    He was never going anywhere. It made no sense for him to go. We were always gonna get rid of moses as he needed gametime to develop and we got willian. We had no choice with lukaku, mourinho had faith in him but we would basically have to unregister a player.

(Original post by CFC Blue)
    While the statement that guy made is ridiculous, this will turn into a flame war which I really am not up for. Took me a day to get it into their heads that there's little difference in ability between mata and ozil.

ReputationRep:
    Ozil is world class, but he's not a goal scoring midfielder, so he needs to have good players around him. I believe that one player won't completely solve their problems, but they will probably beat Tottenham to the CL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    Nope, FA rules state he can't in the Premier League, but IIRC he could in the FA/League Cups should we allow it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    Ozil is world class, but he's not a goal scoring midfielder, so he needs to have good players around him. I believe that one player won't completely solve their problems, but they will probably beat Tottenham to the CL.
    This essentially

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.