Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    United, City and us with the same record now (and hence same points). It's not too bad. But yeah, I am rather disappointed by our performance.
    None of us have particularly impressed either, i know there's only been 4 games but it's looking increasingly like the champions this season will be whoever is the least **** :laugh: 10/11 all over again.

ReputationRep:
    The striker curse lives on.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently we're eyeing Barkley. Great player, but a lot of our English players are fighting for slim pickings right now and there's more opportunity at Everton than here.

(Original post by sr90)
    None of us have particularly impressed either, i know there's only been 4 games but it's looking increasingly like the champions this season will be whoever is the least **** :laugh: 10/11 all over again.
    Yeah I'm not sure what's going on. Probably just the new managers taking time to figure things out.

ReputationRep:
    David Luiz is such a easy target. We love you David, keep doing your thing :love:

ReputationRep:
    Ironically, Mikel , who you berate so much actually didn't play that badly! He did everything that was expected of of him as a DM, what more can you ask?

ReputationRep:
    You're blaming the wrong personnel for your loss today. ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    Ironically, Mikel , who you bash so much actually didn't play that badly! He did everything that was expected of of him as a DM, what more can you ask?
    Most of us here are saying he had a good game...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Most of us here are saying he had a good game...
    You'd be surprised how how many Chelsea fans are blaming Mikel! He never seems to get a break!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    The striker curse lives on.
    Torres....what the hell happened?

ReputationRep:
    Lukaku is on loan. Was Mourinho on the sauce at the time or what's the story?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Lukaku is on loan. Was Mourinho on the sauce at the time or what's the story?
    Lukaku requested it coz he wanted to play every week and that was obviously not going to be the case this season

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wonder if we'll starting seeing LB rumours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skkc16)
    Lukaku requested it coz he wanted to play every week and that was obviously not going to be the case this season

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He's by far the best out of the 4 CFC had tbh. Baffled.

ReputationRep:
    Lukaku deserved more time/games after his performance at WBA last season, Everton will really benefit from his presence up front.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    He's by far the best out of the 4 CFC had tbh. Baffled.
    tbf Eto at his best is considerably better than Lukaku, he was thrown into the deep end against a hard to beat Everton team when still unfit and adjusting to a new league not to mention he's lost quite a bit of pace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    tbf Eto at his best is considerably better than Lukaku, he was thrown into the deep end against a hard to beat Everton team when still unfit and adjusting to a new league not to mention he's lost quite a bit of pace.
    He's well over the hill tbh, Mou would have done better to get Drogba back. Or just use the baby-Drogba who rinsed the league with WBA last season.

If he was worried about squad size then he should have flogged Demba Ba back to Newcastle or whoever on the cheap.

ReputationRep:
    Eto'o will come good.

CL will be good for him to find his footing. Give him a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    The performance today showed a lot of potential for upcoming games and the season in general - we had 57% of the possession by the end, with some great link up play between our midfielders. My only worry is that over the past few years, the team has adapted to rely less upon the strikers, hence greater attempts of individualism by Hazard, Oscar, Ramires and even Mata. Although I do expect such players to be selfish at times, there were quite a few moments where I felt that a final pass to Eto'o in particular should have been played. Having said that, Eto'o had a poor game, and seems to have a.) done very little research on Everton's defenders e.g. Coleman's pace and b.) underestimated the Premier League. Wheres in Barcelona he would destroy teams of relative calibre, today must have been a wake-up call for him, and he will be tested in such a manner by at least 7 or 8 clubs this season who have the potential to disturb us. Also, I feel he needs to adjust especially after having played in a much more sub-standard league with a much more sub-standard team. Although Mourinho's tactics were very bold and almost paid off in the second half, I feel that the Lampard substitution was pointless in a time where Chelsea were clearly instructed to use a very quick, counter-attacking style. It would have been wiser to have had Van Ginkel on the bench. Furthermore, Ramires cannot play on the right wing due to his inconsistent crossing ability and his awful shooting ability (don't even think about what he does with his left foot cutting in). Why was Schurrle, a right footed player, playing on the right, when Hazard, who can use both feet equally well, was on the left? What happened to the whole preferring right with left and vice-versa???

ReputationRep:
    I saw this comment on another site regarding the team. I don't agree with everything but he does raise some good points:

Not a hater of Mourinho but Benitez would probably be doing a better job with the tools available. The Benitez style of football to keep possession and dominate is far more suited to the personnel. In fact, given a season or two, Chelsea would be a much better and more entertaining version of his Liverpool side that finished second.

There is absolutely no reason for this group of Chelsea players to play on the counter attack. Not because they spend so much money, but because with the players they have, it's just not the right thing to do. It's not like when they had Duff and Robben to run, Drogba as a target man, and Lampard to pick up second balls. That whole setup was justified by being brutally effective.

As a casual observer of the Premier League, it seemed obvious that Chelsea were growing as a team under Benitez and were consistently good to watch. The likes of Oscar, Hazard and Azpilicueta were getting game time and they had some young players like Lukaku and De Bruyne to integrate into the team. This season, they'll make less mistakes because quite simply, they're not as green. Another season and I think they would turn into a fearsome, fearsome side.

At present, Mourinho is completely changing the direction of team for success at any cost. Mikel is back in the team when he's only ever been terrible beyond running around and tackling. Schurrle is somehow seen fit to play in a top side when he's nothing more than a clown who might pull a rabbit out of the hat once in a while. Eto'o is a great player, but I'm not sure he was the wisest signing. There's not much wrong with Torres, and Lukaku could do with bedding in at his home club.

Meanwhile, the best player in the team in Mata is nowhere near as effective, as the manager's idea of teamplay involves tracking back. This is all despite him being one of the least selfish and most hard working playmakers around. Maybe this isn't a condemnation of Jose per se (it could well be if he fails), but the current Chelsea setup stinks. It might end up winning a stack of trophies, but that's by the by for me. It's just bullsh*t to see the development of a team that looked to be headed for great things go down a different road. All because the fans couldn't be patient.

Obviously it could work out very well for Chelsea, and the super-cup performance was impressive. Being direct against Bayern was smart, as it stretched the play and made it difficult for them, and I doubt it’s something Benitez would have done. Had Chelsea gone toe to toe with Bayern under Benitez, they would have probably lost but there would have been no shame in it. It would have been a defeat for a young team on the up against a top side.

Maybe it's being idealistic, but Chelsea fans can aspire to better than what Mourinho offers at this point in time. They’ve got a squad where there’s a fantastic opportunity to develop a great side. While Mourinho is a great manager, this feels like it’s the wrong job for him.

ReputationRep:
    Some good points there indeed.

I don't agree with Jose using Mata as a right winger, because his best position is still undoubtedly through the middle. The best player in the team has to play in his best position, simple as.

And I do prefer Rafa's style of play to Jose's. I think the game against Utd may have had a different outcome, although we may well have lost, it would have been more entertaining.

We're only four games into the league, so still early days right now. Even City and Utd have had similar starts so I'm not too worried, and I think it's just a short term case of new manager-itis.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.