Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1379251647.873879.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  150.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Well, might as well pop the champagne

Congratulation on winning the league guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    You'd be surprised how how many Chelsea fans are blaming Mikel! He never seems to get a break!
    He's a scapegoat because he never scores or assists. I can't think of the last time Mikel had a terrible game tbh, he always does his job well yet unspectacularly.

(Original post by Zürich)
    He's well over the hill tbh, Mou would have done better to get Drogba back. Or just use the baby-Drogba who rinsed the league with WBA last season.

If he was worried about squad size then he should have flogged Demba Ba back to Newcastle or whoever on the cheap.
    We'll see how Eto'o does, I think he showed promise yesterday, but he needs time to adapt to the team and league, and perhaps shake off some rustiness.

Ba wanted CL football, and it appears only way for that to happen was a loan to Arsenal which wasn't a favourable option. Lukaku's still only 20 and will get more game time with Everton than us, who are a strong enough side (particularly with Lukaku) to nick points off our rivals (and us ) which is never a bad thing. We could live to regret going for Eto'o and not just sticking with Lukaku/Ba/Torres, but equally that could not work out either. Hopefully we might be able to offload Torres or Ba in January and bring back Lukaku.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with Mikel - and the reason why I'm in favour of getting rid of him - is not that he doesn't do his job well; the point is that he's an extraordinarily limited player. He can lay the ball of to a better player over ten/fifteen yards well; he can hold his position in front of the defence well; he can - generally - break up play fairly well. But he offers absolutely nothing more than that, and that's simply not enough for a team of our calibre. In the modern game, one expects more from holding midfielders. They need to at least offer something more than the very basics of 'ugly' duties; the odd goal, assist, or ability to find a killer pass. Mikel offers none of those things. He hasn't scored a league goal since joining us and I'm willing to wager that he's barely set up a goal in that time, either. Nor does he have the ability to speed up the tempo; he's very much a player for a slow-tempo game. And that doesn't suit our front three, or our striker.

I'd be quite willing to use someone who does Mikel's 'ugly' (yes, but necessary) duties slightly worse, but offers a greater variety of abilities in the holding midfield position. His limitations hold us back.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, we have 7 points from 4 games- same as City and United
    We shouldn't have lost this game, we easily could've scored 3 although defence was suspect. After 10-15 games, we'll see the bigger picture
    Tottenham in 2 weeks, I'm sure we can teach them a lesson. If a rusty Eto'o can almost score a couple, imagine in 3 weeks what a better fitness and sharpness can do. Eto'o took a serious pay-cut to come here, so I'm sure he has hunger and desire

ReputationRep:
    When our players find their clinical edge in front of goal we'll win games like this easily. Schurrle & Eto'o both missing in shocking fashion, both new to the league and haven't settled in yet but they are both very good finishers and just need a bit of time imo. In Schurrle's case its just a matter of youth & a bit of bad luck, he could be on three or four goals now but twice he was very unlucky in other games and in this match he lacked composure. When he settles in he could be a very useful player, sort of like Malouda in his prime in that although he doesn't excel at getting past a man his ability to shoot and deliver a ball (i.e. Torres' goal) could make him incredibly effective when he's on form.

Eto'o has clearly lost nearly all of his devastating pace, and Everton made it incredibly hard for him most of the time as a result. Most games wont be that mental & I'm sure if he plays regularly he'll get a lot more league goals than Torres has for us.

I also hope we never see Ramires & Mikel play together again. Always been an awful partnership, all you can hope for when they play together is that they're just uninspiring instead of flat out bad

ReputationRep:
    Oscar's looked great this season.
    Sometimes when he played last season you didn't really notice him, but he seems to take more responsibility now. As soon as he was subbed on he had the ball quite a lot and was trying to dribble all across the front to create space. Sometimes last year he'd just stuck to one side and get cut out the game.

Seems noticeably more influential this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)

No worries bruv.

Made me chuckle :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    The problem with Mikel - and the reason why I'm in favour of getting rid of him - is not that he doesn't do his job well; the point is that he's an extraordinarily limited player. He can lay the ball of to a better player over ten/fifteen yards well; he can hold his position in front of the defence well; he can - generally - break up play fairly well. But he offers absolutely nothing more than that, and that's simply not enough for a team of our calibre. In the modern game, one expects more from holding midfielders. They need to at least offer something more than the very basics of 'ugly' duties; the odd goal, assist, or ability to find a killer pass. Mikel offers none of those things. He hasn't scored a league goal since joining us and I'm willing to wager that he's barely set up a goal in that time, either. Nor does he have the ability to speed up the tempo; he's very much a player for a slow-tempo game. And that doesn't suit our front three, or our striker.

I'd be quite willing to use someone who does Mikel's 'ugly' (yes, but necessary) duties slightly worse, but offers a greater variety of abilities in the holding midfield position. His limitations hold us back.
    Honestly think he's our best central midfielder. I don't know of any player in the league who can hold the ball up as well as he can. Even when he's under pressure, he manages to worm his way out of trouble.

He appears 'limited', because we make him play that 'limited' role. We've seen how well he plays when the reins are off. I'm stunned that he hasn't complained in all the years we've forced him to play as a defensive midfielder. Speaks volumes about his dedication to the team.

If Mourinho/any manager wanted him to do that, they'd say 'go on, play your natural game', but I've always had the impression that he's been told to play it safe and recycle possession. I like him as a player though. I wish he was a harder tackler, and maybe a more mobile player (a la Ramires), but there you have it.

ReputationRep:
    Is this Mikel or Iniesta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Honestly think he's our best central midfielder. I don't know of any player in the league who can hold the ball up as well as he can. Even when he's under pressure, he manages to worm his way out of trouble.

He appears 'limited', because we make him play that 'limited' role. We've seen how well he plays when the reins are off. I'm stunned that he hasn't complained in all the years we've forced him to play as a defensive midfielder. Speaks volumes about his dedication to the team.

If Mourinho/any manager wanted him to do that, they'd say 'go on, play your natural game', but I've always had the impression that he's been told to play it safe and recycle possession. I like him as a player though. I wish he was a harder tackler, and maybe a more mobile player (a la Ramires), but there you have it.
    Got to disagree here. in order for us to play against the big teams and dominate we need a DM who plays the ball well from deep as well as be a good tackler, personally feel lamps is our best CM(which says a lot about how poor we are there) and hopefully mvg will take up the mantle of lampard, as he's got better athleticism and plays the ball quickly from deep. But tbh it's all about partnerships, a mikel lamps partnership is terrible tbh due to its lack of mobility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    When our players find their clinical edge in front of goal we'll win games like this easily. Schurrle & Eto'o both missing in shocking fashion, both new to the league and haven't settled in yet but they are both very good finishers and just need a bit of time imo. In Schurrle's case its just a matter of youth & a bit of bad luck, he could be on three or four goals now but twice he was very unlucky in other games and in this match he lacked composure. When he settles in he could be a very useful player, sort of like Malouda in his prime in that although he doesn't excel at getting past a man his ability to shoot and deliver a ball (i.e. Torres' goal) could make him incredibly effective when he's on form.

Eto'o has clearly lost nearly all of his devastating pace, and Everton made it incredibly hard for him most of the time as a result. Most games wont be that mental & I'm sure if he plays regularly he'll get a lot more league goals than Torres has for us.

I also hope we never see Ramires & Mikel play together again. Always been an awful partnership, all you can hope for when they play together is that they're just uninspiring instead of flat out bad
    Doubt he's lost all of it. I say it's rust
    He looked rusty despite how many times he made space for himself. He gave the ball away a bit and looked like he needs 2-3 weeks to get up to speed. He'll get quicker

Don't know why people are calling for Drogba. Eto'o has been more consistent than Drogba over the years

ReputationRep:
    Don't talk about drogba, he still makes me cry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)

Dat Chris Bosh gif :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Christiansen and McEachran have been looking really good apparently. That's good to hear.

Gundogan rumors have apparently popped up for January. Man oh man what a great signing that would be but it's hard to see it happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Christiansen and McEachran have been looking really good apparently. That's good to hear.

Gundogan rumors have apparently popped up for January. Man oh man what a great signing that would be but it's hard to see it happening.
    You seen Christiansen play?

Like a mini David Luiz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    You seen Christiansen play?

Like a mini David Luiz.
    I'm not sure how I'm suppose to take that! According to one guy on another forum he's "so calm and composed and excellent with the ball." While Luiz is good with the ball, he isn't really calm and composed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    I'm not sure how I'm suppose to take that! According to one guy on another forum he's "so calm and composed and excellent with the ball." While Luiz is good with the ball, he isn't really calm and composed!

He dribbles from the back a lot, will run from deep with ball to the other box.

ReputationRep:
    One of the greatest sports stories I've read.

The Sevilla fans love Marin that much they've decided to take extreme measures to keep him. Apparently they're attempting to find him a Spanish wife to convince him to stay there O.o

Sevilla fans think their club's highest priority shouldn't be to add any new players but to find a fiancee for Marko Marin. Yes, that Marko Marin. Apparently, the fans are so enamoured with the on-loan Hero of Time that they're hoping to lure him into a permanent stay by finding him a Spanish woman to love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    One of the greatest sports stories I've read.

The Sevilla fans love Marin that much they've decided to take extreme measures to keep him. Apparently they're attempting to find him a Spanish wife to convince him to stay there O.o
    :rofl: he is such a massive talent, I don't/can't understand why Chelsea didn't play him more often! Either way, I wish them the best of luck! Though I don't see how they gonna manage that....

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.