Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    We're playing as a group of individuals, not as a team. We're lacking that edge in the final third; we're misplacing passes, the final balls just aren't happening and there seems to be a general reluctance to take a shot, everyone seems to prefer to attempt to lay it off for someone else to take a shot which usually results in the ball being cleared in the process or the attack breaking down. We need to start playing as a team, I think the main reason we're not is that we're trying to shoehorn in too many new players at once who aren't used to playing with each other. Mourinho needs to establish his best 11 (which is difficult given the players we have), and I think we should be bleeding newer members into the team more slowly than we have been so far (although that isn't to say we've been doing it fast, I just think we need more time). I'd like to see something like this lineup against Fulham on Saturday:

--------------------Cech------------------
    Ivanovic----Cahill----Terry----Cole
    ---------Lampard----Ramires----------
    KDB------------Mata------------Schurrle
    -------------------Torres-----------------

Would ideally prefer Hazard to start over Schurrle (and wouldn't mind Oscar over Mata) but his most recent 2 performances don't warrant a start tbf, so I think he should be on the bench alongside Eto'o, Oscar, Mikel and Luiz. Would quite like to see Bertrand or Azpilicueta start too as they're both good going forward but I doubt we'll see that just yet. I think Torres should start over Eto'o as he has more experience playing with the team, although I would like to see Eto'o become first choice eventually, I think once he sharpens up and gets used to the team/league he'll be our best striker (who isn't out on loan anyway :rolleyes:), would be good for him to perhaps play 30 minutes though, but not alongside Torres, I don't really see the benefit of bringing on another striker when we need a goal, in both games where we've done this I think KDB would have been a much more effective sub; Torres was completely anonymous against Everton and I don't see the point in playing a striker out of position when we have so many AM options. Lampard and Ramires is our most tested midfield partnership this season so I'd be inclined to stick with them for the time being, we can start to experiment more when we actually start playing well as a team.

I don't know why we bought Willian. I thought he was decent yesterday, but I think we should have just kept Moses, or even loaned him out anyway leaving us with five AMs; allowing everyone to get more game time and more time playing together, we could always have recalled him should injuries strike anyway. Don't think we should have loaned out Lukaku either but tbh you can't really argue with the logic behind it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd quite like to see Schurrle and Oscar play simply because Oscar is in goal scoring form and Schurrle has been very close a number of times - at least he's prepared to take shots on. Mata or De Bruyne as well, both need a chance at 90 minutes to prove they can be decisive. Lampard & Ramires is the only partnership that has really accomplished anything in midfield so I wouldn't mind that, or another chance for Van Ginkel or Luiz in there.

Maybe stick with Eto'o for a bit to see if he can find some form, we kind of need him to if we have any aspirations for the season beyond simply getting top 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    I'd quite like to see Schurrle and Oscar play simply because Oscar is in goal scoring form and Schurrle has been very close a number of times - at least he's prepared to take shots on. Mata or De Bruyne as well, both need a chance at 90 minutes to prove they can be decisive. Lampard & Ramires is the only partnership that has really accomplished anything in midfield so I wouldn't mind that, or another chance for Van Ginkel or Luiz in there.

Maybe stick with Eto'o for a bit to see if he can find some form, we kind of need him to if we have any aspirations for the season beyond simply getting top 4.
    Luiz will never be played in Midfield by Jose. And yes, without Etoo top 4 is out of the equation because how how well other teams are doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Luiz will never be played in Midfield by Jose. And yes, without Etoo top 4 is out of the equation because how how well other teams are doing.
    Don't be ridiculous. We've taken the same number of points in the league as City and United, and we dropped our points at Everton and United, unlike for instance City who dropped their points at Cardiff and Stoke. We did play **** against Basel and Everton, but we've played 4 league games ffs, it's still early days. I think November has just come early for us.

No one is doing particularly well IMO. Liverpool and Tottenham are getting results but haven't been particularly convincing, United and City are in a similar situation to us. Arsenal have been doing well, and probably have looked the most dangerous, but now they're playing 2 games a week I think their thin squad and injuries will start to take their toll.

ReputationRep:
    Joao Moutinho has only had one appearance with Monaco so far. He'd get loads of game time for us if we had signed him :cry:

(probably not loads but he'd have been useful!)

Oh and, Romeu hasn't had a single appearance at Valencia. Dukic play him you ****!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    Don't be ridiculous. We've taken the same number of points in the league as City and United, and we dropped our points at Everton and United, unlike for instance City who dropped their points at Cardiff and Stoke. We did play **** against Basel and Everton, but we've played 4 league games ffs, it's still early days. I think November has just come early for us.

No one is doing particularly well IMO. Liverpool and Tottenham are getting results but haven't been particularly convincing, United and City are in a similar situation to us. Arsenal have been doing well, and probably have looked the most dangerous, but now they're playing 2 games a week I think their thin squad and injuries will start to take their toll.
    Thank you, I wish people looked at things objectively here.
    The basel defeat was disappointing, I'm watching the full match now and by the 55th min it looks like there's a lack of team cohesion, but we're not in a bad position. I see a few positives from the game. Oscar in particular has been doing well, eto'o may not have had the best start but I do feel that he's getting used to the movements of the team, he seems like he works hard for the team, so at least if he doesn't do well he can run around and pressure the defenders at least.

Our main problem is that we don't move the ball quick enough in the final third and the lack of width to stretch the defenders who will undoubtedly just narrow down against us, personally feel we need to work harder in that respect, and while our DM situation is a weird one, I feel like once he finds his best 11, he can then start to make tactical alterations and our DM's will start to dominate games better. But I think it's way too early on in the season to make judgements on our team.

Like your team of individuals comment btw, hazard in particular was like this. Been disappointed with cole as well, the annoying thing about cole against salah is that cole wasn't even doing that great going forward, in the match last year vs basel we got cole to stay back at all times to prevent salah on the counter attack.

Oh and sorry for longing out the post, but cole so far this season hasn't been great, what I hate about cole is when he gets the ball and pressured by a defender he spends too much time on the ball trying to play it out, he's unable to dribble past the defender and eventually it ends up in cech being pressured to boot the ball up the field, which will end up going to the opposition anyway so we've wasted 15 or so seconds when really he should look to play it to the keeper quickly as possible so he has time to pick out a pass or put it out for a throw in. It's really frustrating, at least when luiz does it he passes the ball quickly and his distribution is good anyway usually.

ReputationRep:
    We shouldn't judge Mourinho so much just yet.. he's just playing around with the squad, and needs time to figure out his best 11.

The biggest problem for me is Mata, if he is fit, I really don't understand why he's hardly playing. He's been our best player for few seasons, and it's really sad to think that Jose may not favour him..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silver0)
    We shouldn't judge Mourinho so much just yet.. he's just playing around with the squad, and needs time to figure out his best 11.

The biggest problem for me is Mata, if he is fit, I really don't understand why he's hardly playing. He's been our best player for few seasons, and it's really sad to think that Jose may not favour him..
    Read my reply to fallen acorns. Mata will get the adequate gametime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Joao Moutinho has only had one appearance with Monaco so far. He'd get loads of game time for us if we had signed him :cry:

(probably not loads but he'd have been useful!)

Oh and, Romeu hasn't had a single appearance at Valencia. Dukic play him you ****!
    Obviously would be a lovely idea considering there are already countless midfielders in the team and 4-5 players competing for a spot in cdm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Obviously would be a lovely idea considering there are already countless midfielders in the team and 4-5 players competing for a spot in cdm.
    Moutinho isn't a CDM. And after we signed Van Ginkel, that was more the case. Why would it have been a bad idea? Ramires is limited, Lampard can't play many games, Essien...?

ReputationRep:
    Moutinho isn't a CDM. And after we signed Van Ginkel, that was more the case. Why would it have been a bad idea? Ramires is limited, Lampard can't play many games, Essien...?
    Yeah since we have rather average DM options, I would like to see us get a top player into the team.
    Personally feel that romeu will probably end up going to a midtable club for gametime and beasting it later on in his career tbh.

Was a shame, benitez liked him and he started to pick up form like he was in his AVB days, I feel that di matteo didn't use him well enough though, which ultimately has stunted his development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Lost twice in a row, therefore out of every competition :rofl: you lot make me laugh sometimes. I don't know whether it's you guys doing it on purpose or you guys are stupid ass fanboys who don't realise that we'll be playing up to 60+ games this season?

Whats next we're going to be out of the CL too? Just look at arsenal after the defeat to villa. I wummed them a little but it was obvious that was just a hiccup as they had a weakened team with loads of injuries. Same here, no need for the panic button.

Personally our problem atm is obvious, mourinho doesn't know his best 11. If we look at his teams he always has a first 11 that he uses and you can almost guess it, but right now we're flooded in the AM and DM positions. I say this because we have also bought a bunch of new players, who will need to adapt as well. Lets talk around january.
    I said it before the season started. The football being played is just confirming what I've said all along. Chelsea are not a top side, they've finished an average of 16 points behind United over the last few seasons. They aren't on our level it's really that simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogwithwings)
    I said it before the season started. The football being played is just confirming what I've said all along. Chelsea are not a top side, they've finished an average of 16 points behind United over the last few seasons. They aren't on our level it's really that simple.
    So why are we both level on points so far this season, also considering that pitiful performance against liverpool at anfield, you are surely not one to talk about us not being on your level.

Furthermore, you didn't even reply to my points so you just decided to WUM pitifully, Find a hobby.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah since we have rather average DM options, I would like to see us get a top player into the team.
    Personally feel that romeu will probably end up going to a midtable club for gametime and beasting it later on in his career tbh.

Was a shame, benitez liked him and he started to pick up form like he was in his AVB days, I feel that di matteo didn't use him well enough though, which ultimately has stunted his development.
    Yes, it's a shame. Don't think we'll see him feature regularly. Hoping we use one (or two, that'd be great) of Chalobah/Aké in the future though.

About Cole, I agree. He's been really poor so far so I hope we see more of Berty. Wonder how Luiz would do there though -- gives him a chance to go forward and IIRC he did it well for Benfica at times? If we don't give Berty a run of games he won't end up good, so we'll have to go for Shaw.

Also, this is just embarassing:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about luiz there, I heard he faced hulk one time and he got torn a new hole, I do remember him playing RB in the second half of a match under ancelotti and he didn't look too bad there. I think he would be a good option but ultimately I'd like a left footed LB there, who just provides the required width.

Plus anyway luiz is at his most creative in the central positions. I'd hate to see him out wide where he loses his influence on the game. I think terry and cahill should be the CB pairing, luiz and lamps/MVG in midfield, eto'o up top and the rest of the places are rotated.

Oh and I'll leave the 3atb system, while it could work, as of now we're in a situation where we need to get chemistry, that won't be helped by constantly changing formations.

ReputationRep:
    Should give Cahill a go upfront.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, yeah it's hard to stay away from the forum. I tried taking a break from TSR a few months ago.
    The only thing keeping me on here is football.

The problem with the lack of width is that I think our fullbacks need to push higher up and we may need a more natural winger(inverted but can play both sides). Not an inside forward playmaker like hazard is. I said that robben would have been a great option for us and still think so. Shame we didn't go for him tbh but oh well.

If we were trying to address lack of width, I think we'll have to go with bertrand and azpi as the fullbacks, they work well attacking wise and both deliver great crosses into the area. Tbh I see positive signs though, the chance creatiion has been poor, but I think we have to look at it in context of the teams we face as well, it's going to be hard when you face villa, who narrow down with 3 in midfield and hit on the counter. When we find his first 11. I think it'll be similar to last seasons one tbh. Oscar has had a good start to the season, so while I was advocating him being dropped for de bruyne, I think oscar should start if he plays in the AM position.
    Sorry for the long post :P

I generally agree with you.

The problem with Chelsea's attacking strategy begins in the central midfield. There's just no drive or spark from the middle of the pitch to create chances. I know I said it before but I'll say it again. Currently, none of your CMs or DMs can perform the DLP role well enough to initiate attacks for Chelsea regularly throughout the game, in addition to controlling the tempo of the game. Lampard's too old to do it consistently throughout the game and it might be a bit too late to convert him into a proper DLP.

This idea might be a bit controversial but as some people have mentioned ITT or outside of TSR, it might be worth trying Oscar as a DLP. He's got the engine and workrate of Ramires but has also the attributes (e.g. ball control, passing etc) and the football brain of a proper no.10. So why not try him there?

I considered Luiz before. But the main reason why I have been reluctant to play him there is because he hasn't got the stamina to carry out the workload of a CM game after game imo. He's better off at CB where he'll have more time on the ball. I also considered KdB. But I think he's too skillful to play in a DM position.

By playing Oscar as a DLP, he can still carry on being creativity and dictating the game, in addition to occasionally bursting forward to boost Chelsea's attack. But another advantage in playing Oscar as a DLP is that it will reduce the need for Luiz to dribble out of defence to initiate attacks for Chelsea. Afterall, if Chelsea lose the ball with Luiz far up the opponent's half, then surely that will leave big gaps for the opposition to exploit?

Additionally, Oscar has some aggression and isn't afraid to get stuck in and carry out his defensive duties. I think Mikel would be the most suitable partner for Oscar in DM. Oscar hasn't got much experience of playing in defensive midfield. So it's best to have a 'safe' player like Mikel who will just sit in front of the back four and not give the ball away.

The next problem is your 3 AMs. I'm not fully sure on whether Jose really intends to have Mata in his best XI or not. But Mata has rightly been Chelsea's best player in the last 2 seasons. Even if he isn't as good defensively as Oscar in CAM position, when you have someone of Mata's ability who can contribute so much going forward, you have to sacrifice his poor defensive ability for his world class attacking ability. And out of the three amigos, Mata is the one who provides the most service to the strikers. So if Chelsea want to solve their striker problem, then Mata is part of the solution (when or if he's fully fit).

Secondly the wide AMs are not really providing enough width and threat from wide areas. To solve the striker problem, the CF needs more clear cut chances and more space in the middle to shoot. Therefore, the wingers and the overlapping fullbacks must really help to stretch the opposition's defence, like you said. More importantly, the wingers need to take advantage of Mata's exceptional vision and make more runs behind the defence. Not only for goalscoring opportunities for the wingers but also to drag the opposition's defence out of position and create more gaps for the CF to exploit.

These things would really help Chelsea control the game, create more chances and hopefully score more goals.

ReputationRep:
    OMG Musester has been banned again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    Fair enough. I think Mourinho is unsure of his best 11. If I was him (which I obviously am not), I'd stick Oscar central midfield so we have Willian, Mata and Hazard playing behind Eto'o. Willian and Hazard have the pace, while Mata has the guile. Plus, I can see a good understanding developing with that front 3 behind Eto'o.

Oscar has plenty of stamina and energy and is composed on the ball. He's scored twice in six games, which is a decent return and it seems that he is a player that Mourinho likes as both him and Oscar seem to have nailed on places in the team.

I reckon Mournho probably has about 6/7 almost guaranteed starters in Cech, Cole, Cahill, Hazard, Oscar and Eto'o. His best team is not quite clear yet and I'm not so sure if Mata is shaking off an injury or not. Kagawa has been under similar treatment from United and as only 4 league games have gone so far, it's hard to say what's really going on.

I pray to God that Mata is still not fully fit because if he's not favoured by Mourinho, then that's not ideal is it. Tbh we're a month into the season now, and I guess you can say Mata hadn't stopped playing football since early July. Although, same can be said for Oscar and Luiz who actually are regular starters for Brazil.
    I agree with your entire post and you can look at my post above to Jam to see more.

Yeah, I really hope Mata is not out of favour. I'm not really convinced about the whole lack of fitness thing, especially considering that Oscar and Hazard played pretty much the same amount of games as Mata (and Oscar started most matches in Confed Cup) yet they're getting games. Mata's only going to get back to full fitness by getting more minutes on the pitch. So I hope and look forward to Jose integrating Mata into the team more in the next few weeks.

I'd like to see this team one day:

---------------------Cech

Azpi------Luiz/Cahill------Terry------Cole/Bertrand

---------------Mikel------Oscar

Schurrle/Willian-------Mata----------Hazard

---------------------Eto'o

ReputationRep:
    OMG Musester has been banned again.
    Looks like it was the comment he made about Cleveradam not being clever as that comment has been removed.

Bit over the top in that case. Clearly one of the mods has something against him...

Probably get a warning for this.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.