Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok. Cool. Yeah it was then but I did think he was booed a few times when it was 0-0!

Anyways, I'm hoping this means Mata will put in a top class performances against Swindon.

Mourinho on Mata: 'He will be playing from the beginning against Swindon. I hope he tells me I have been wrong on the pitch'.

Mourinho on Mata: 'He's a top kid, and a very good professional, so I am waiting for a professional reaction'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogwithwings)
    Going to previous comments, the league is between city and manchester united. Only they have the squads to compete. Not only will you lot be miles behind, but you'll also be miles playing dire football :rolleyes:
    Ok. Just to let you know the only players we'd take on the Chelsea team from Utd are Rooney and RVP. In every other position I'll confidently say we have the better players so I don't know how you gather that Utd have a better squad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Safe init. Mourinho did that interview like a boss. Like I said, it's a weird situation, but if for the team it is important for us to be playing oscar in the AM position then so be it. In fact oscar reminds me a little of toni kroos, not as good a passer but his engine and defensive work is vital, and against the bigger teams it showed having a work horse like him there was a great option.

But like jose says, it is nothing personal. I think benitez tried to get workhorses to play with the trio so he often dropped one of the three for moses earlier on due to mata and hazards inability to track back(although hazard learnt later on last season)
    But surely if Mata's defensive work is a liability, then today is the perfect type of game to play him right wing. Fulham at home, Chelsea dominating the match, majority of possession and pressuring high up the pitch. It would make more sense to drop Mata for the big games.

But even with his poor work-rate, Mata is too good a player to leave out, even/especially in the big games. I guess he needs to prove himself the next time he's on the pitch, prove himself both defensively and going forward.

(Original post by Skkc16)
    Ok. Just to let you know the only players we'd take on the Chelsea team from Utd are Rooney and RVP. In every other position I'll confidently say we have the better players so I don't know how you gather that Utd have a better squad.
    Vidic? Carrick? Not much between Rafael and your RBs, and on recent form, DDG would start in any Prem team, except maybe Spurs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    But surely if Mata's defensive work is a liability, then today is the perfect type of game to play him right wing. Fulham at home, Chelsea dominating the match, majority of possession and pressuring high up the pitch. It would make more sense to drop Mata for the big games.

But even with his poor work-rate, Mata is too good a player to leave out, even/especially in the big games. I guess he needs to prove himself the next time he's on the pitch, prove himself both defensively and going forward.
    But tbf, at the same time fulham were trying to hit us on the counter and we need to pressure them high up the pitch and work hard defensively in order to keep the ball well. Worst thing would be us high up the pitch, losing the ball and someone not tracking back especially with mata on the wing in this scenario

Personally mourinho didn't put mata in the squad to make a statement, but he'll come around and start using him.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I think Jose's son should lead the team out of the tunnel every game to force Cech to keep a clean sheet :awesome:

ReputationRep:

Vidic? Carrick? Not much between Rafael and your RBs, and on recent form, DDG would start in any Prem team, except maybe Spurs.
    Vidic most def. Even Rio (I'm a fan of his tbh).

Carrick, perhaps.

Ivanovic is quite a distance ahead of Rafael imo and I don't think DDG is better than Cech even though he most certainly is class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Oh ok. Cool. Yeah it was then but I did think he was booed a few times when it was 0-0!
    He passed the ball backwards to the defence once and the crowds boo'ed him in frustration.

ReputationRep:

Carrick would be the type of player we need tbf, vidic i'll take too but Cech is better than DDG. I know DDG is a beast but tbh Cech has been consistent since 2004 at a top level, even when he dipped in form he was still good and we can rely on him in the big games. He also makes me cry at times. That performance against barca in the 1-0 made me jizz my pants. :dice:

ReputationRep:
    Carrick would be the type of player we need tbf, vidic i'll take too but Cech is better than DDG. I know DDG is a beast but tbh Cech has been consistent since 2004 at a top level, even when he dipped in form he was still good and we can rely on him in the big games. He also makes me cry at times. That performance against barca in the 1-0 made me jizz my pants. :dice:
    Cech has been GODLY so far this season. His performance against Bayern in the super cup :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnWise)
    Cech has been GODLY so far this season. His performance against Bayern in the super cup :coma:
    :dice:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)

Anyways, I'm hoping this means Mata will put in a top class performances against Swindon.

Mourinho on Mata: 'He will be playing from the beginning against Swindon. I hope he tells me I have been wrong on the pitch'.

Mourinho on Mata: 'He's a top kid, and a very good professional, so I am waiting for a professional reaction'
    Mate it is Swindon. Even I would look world class against Swindon.

Then Eva would be all impressed and be like ooh take me for dinner, and i'd be like k then

ReputationRep:
    fancy this...Mikel has scored more than Torres, Ba and Etoo combined! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikelewis777)

Then Eva would be all impressed and be like ooh take me for dinner, and i'd be like k then
    you like football women, do you like hope solo?

ReputationRep:
    you like football women, do you like hope solo?
    nope but Heather Mitts does tickle my pickle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnWise)
    fancy this...Mikel has scored more than Torres, Ba and Etoo combined! :awesome:
    And half as many as Welbeck! :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Baines is quality. If the board doesn't decide to give him Cole a new contract we get him (or Shaw? If Bertrand doesn't succeed, but he's 24 and he isn't going to prove to be a good player if he doesn't gametime soon)

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    But tbf, at the same time fulham were trying to hit us on the counter and we need to pressure them high up the pitch and work hard defensively in order to keep the ball well. Worst thing would be us high up the pitch, losing the ball and someone not tracking back especially with mata on the wing in this scenario
    I have three problems with Jose's idea concerning Mata as a winger

1) Mata has changed a lot since his Valencia days. He's no longer a winger. His mentality is that of a #10 now. Put him on the wing and he'll still drift to the middle to play the way he likes to play (puppet master of the final 3rd of the pitch). If Mata ends up drifting towards the middle, then he's not providing width (which is one of Chelsea's main problems atm).

If Jose wants to convert Mata back to a winger again and get him to provide width, that's not a great idea. Mata's not as quick as he used to be and is not as fast as the other wingers in your squad. So what use is Mata as winger during counter attacks? And Mata hasn't got the pace to dribble past multiple players when cutting inside like Robben can. So it makes Mata's job harder if he's played as a RW. Even if he plays LW, his lack of pace will still be a problem when it comes to getting past players.

2) It's clear that one of Jose's biggest problem with Mata is his poor defensive ability/not tracking back and getting stuck in. Well, if Mata is such a defensive liability, why not play him in the #10 role where he doesn't have to do too much tracking back and just play someone else on the wing instead? Surely that makes more sense logically than playing Mata on the wing where he'll be more of a defensive liability?

Even worse is that Mata hasn't got the biggest lungs in the world. I don't think he is fit enough to bomb up and down the wings to attack and defend all game. It doesn't make sense that Jose would want someone like Mata, who isn't the fittest player around, to be tracking back to defend all game.

And while Mata can improve defensively in the #10 position, it's hardly the most important position to defend from. And it's not that hard for Jose to coach Mata to do a better job defending from the front, is it? It's not like Mata has to be Baresi-esque when defending from the front, does he?

And anyone remember the Spurs 2-4 Chelsea game last season? Remember when Mata pressed Walker and made him fall over, then went on to set up Sturridge for the 4th goal iirc? How awful from Mata, eh? :rolleyes:

3) Lastly, Mourinho has clearly stated he thinks Oscar is better at #10 than Mata. Now, I'm willing to admit that opinions can be subjective. But when Mata has been your player of the year for two seasons, I think it's fair to say that Jose is talking BS about Oscar being a better #10. Yes, Oscar might be playing well. But it's not about the individual. It's about the team. Mata provides better creativity in the #10 role and in the last two seasons, he has been better at pulling the strings in the final 3rd of the pitch than Oscar.

Jose can keep talking about changing the philosophy of the club blah blah blah. But if he truly is on the same page as most fans about playing attractive but equally effective football, then Mata has to play #10. All Jose has to do is coach him to be better at defending from the front even though he won't be as good as Oscar at doing it. Let the other midfielders and wingers do the major defending.

1) It's either Jose is being a prick deliberately to throw his weight around the dressing room.

2) Or he genuinely thinks Oscar is better than Mata in #10 in the system that he envisions for Chelsea.

3) Or he hates Spain after his time managing Madrid. So he's treating the Spanish players in Chelsea like pieces of ****. Hence why Azpilicueta hasn't got a game yet to try and prove himself (however Ivanovic has generally played well so far).

We should all give Jose a chance to prove himself. But even if Chelsea get good results with Mata not playing as #10, I will still disagree with Jose on this matter. I will always believe that Chelsea can get even better results and performances with Mata as #10.

My 2 (rather long) cents.

ReputationRep:
    nope but Heather Mitts does tickle my pickle
    Yeah her and alex morgan are hnng tbf! Why do the USA have hot chicks in their team?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G0d Cable)

Yeah pretty much the same thoughts. No manager in the world would play Oscar ahead of Juan Mata. I mean, 21 goals and 39 assists in all comps last season is arguably world class. Something did happen behind the scenes and hopefully it's behind them. All the rumours as to what actually happened is still just conjecture.

But I have been impressed with Oscar so far in the no.10 role. Glad to hear Juan will get to play against Swindon though - I hope he shows Jose what he's missing out on. We also need him back for set piece taking. And we need Luiz back because of his free kicks and the fact that he's a ****ing psychopath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G0d Cable)
    I have three problems with Jose's idea concerning Mata as a winger

1) Mata has changed a lot since his Valencia days. He's no longer a winger. His mentality is that of a #10 now. Put him on the wing and he'll still drift to the middle to play the way he likes to play (puppet master of the final 3rd of the pitch). If Mata ends up drifting towards the middle, then he's not providing width (which is one of Chelsea's main problems atm).

If Jose wants to convert Mata back to a winger again and get him to provide width, that's not a great idea. Mata's not as quick as he used to be and is not as fast as the other wingers in your squad. So what use is Mata as winger during counter attacks? And Mata hasn't got the pace to dribble past multiple players when cutting inside like Robben can. So it makes Mata's job harder if he's played as a RW. Even if he plays LW, his lack of pace will still be a problem when it comes to getting past players.

2) It's clear that one of Jose's biggest problem with Mata is his poor defensive ability/not tracking back and getting stuck in. Well, if Mata is such a defensive liability, why not play him in the #10 role where he doesn't have to do too much tracking back and just play someone else on the wing instead? Surely that makes more sense logically than playing Mata on the wing where he'll be more of a defensive liability?

Even worse is that Mata hasn't got the biggest lungs in the world. I don't think he is fit enough to bomb up and down the wings to attack and defend all game. It doesn't make sense that Jose would want someone like Mata, who isn't the fittest player around, to be tracking back to defend all game.

And while Mata can improve defensively in the #10 position, it's hardly the most important position to defend from. And it's not that hard for Jose to coach Mata to do a better job defending from the front, is it? It's not like Mata has to be Baresi-esque when defending from the front, does he?

And anyone remember the Spurs 2-4 Chelsea game last season? Remember when Mata pressed Walker and made him fall over, then went on to set up Sturridge for the 4th goal iirc? How awful from Mata, eh? :rolleyes:

3) Lastly, Mourinho has clearly stated he thinks Oscar is better at #10 than Mata. Now, I'm willing to admit that opinions can be subjective. But when Mata has been your player of the year for two seasons, I think it's fair to say that Jose is talking BS about Oscar being a better #10. Yes, Oscar might be playing well. But it's not about the individual. It's about the team. Mata provides better creativity in the #10 role and so far, he has been better at pulling the strings in the final 3rd of the pitch than Oscar.

Jose can keep talking about changing the philosophy of the club blah blah blah. But if he truly is on the same page as most fans about playing attractive but equally effective football, then Mata has to play #10. All Jose has to do is coach him to be better at defending from the front even though he won't be as good as Oscar at doing it. Let the other midfielders and wingers do the major defending.

1) It's either Jose is being a prick deliberately to throw his weight around the dressing room.

2) He genuinely thinks Oscar is better than Mata in #10 in the system that he envisions for Chelsea.

3) He hates Spain after his time managing Madrid. So he's treating the Spanish players in Chelsea like pieces of ****. Hence why Azpilicueta hasn't got a game yet to try and prove himself (however Ivanovic has generally played well so far).

We should all give Jose a chance to prove himself. But even if Chelsea get good results with Mata not playing as #10, I will still disagree with Jose on this matter. I will always believe that Chelsea can get even better results and performances with Mata as #10.

Agree generally what you're saying.

Although with oscar, one can argue that he's 22 years old, 3 or 4 years younger than mata, therefore now he has the engine and defensive work rate he can improve his attacking side of the game while it may be harder for mata to do so at the age of 25/26. I was always of the opinion that oscar had great technique and a great engine, but needs to improve on his passing and dribblling as it can be erratic/slightly ineffectual, now as a no.10 he can make up for a lack of either attribute(dribbling or incisive passing) by improving on one of them, most likely his passing attributes will improve.

Although coming to think of it at madrid ozil wasn't really the hardest working player defensively, although I'd say he wasn't a sneijder who you see walking until he gets the ball ozil wasn't really great at tracking back. At inter you can argue that he needed to play that way and use sneijder as a trequartista while cambiasso and motta run around the rest of the match due to the lack of money, although you could say no such excuses for madrid. Who essentially just attacked

Although no.3(he hates spain) I won't agree with. The way in which he's treated torres so far has been rather well tbh. He's played him a lot and he has said that he'll try to help his career, while azpi is in the unfortunate position of having ivanovic who's generally a reliable player playing in his position.

Personally I'd rather it be a system where the players swap positions, although that wouldn't do much for our lack of width, personally I think we bought an AM too many and someone has to suffer for it. Somewhat similar to the situation at bayern and who starts for them in DM. Its just a rather perculiar situation. The thing is in this game while oscar was the no.10 He did go to the wings for a bit and hazard went into the middle.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.