Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    People slating the performance, it was expected. 7 changes were made, it's practically like playing with a different team. Hope we can win against City.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    The job is done, that's all that matters, although we will have to sort our defence out for the weekend. Conceding 3 goals was poor although I've not seen them.
    They were very poor goals to concede IMO, when you see them you'll see what I mean. The penalty was a very good penalty and I don't think Cech would've stood a chance even if he had a fair idea of where the ball was going beforehand.

Very messy play though, very unorganised and we were just being picked at like a cheap lock. Needs to be addressed as a matter or urgency before the weekend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    People slating the performance, it was expected. 7 changes were made, it's practically like playing with a different team. Hope we can win against City.
    I don't think that negates anything really. Apart from Ake, there was nobody on that team who doesn't have the experience and ability to put in a better performance. It was sloppy, messy and unacceptable.

The team was fine. The performance wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting us to lose 1-0 anyway plus it made the tie interesting. Why are we complaining when we're in the semi finals and have rested key players for city to boot to put us in the running for two trophies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    I don't think that negates anything really. Apart from Ake, there was nobody on that team who doesn't have the experience and ability to put in a better performance. It was sloppy, messy and unacceptable.

The team was fine. The performance wasn't.
    But we put on a very weakened team without key players. We would obviously be disjointed. I was surprised we were even winning at half time and I expected a loss in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    But we put on a very weakened team without key players. We would obviously be disjointed. I was surprised we were even winning at half time and I expected a loss in all honesty.
    I honestly disagree mate.

The only weakened player was Ake. Ferreira and Benayoun are veterans, the've played more European football than most of our team. That leaves:

Cech
    Terry
    Luiz
    Azpili
    Ramires
    Moses
    Lampard

Ivanovic (s)
    Mikel (s)
    Oscar (s)

All of which are 'first team' players. I think playing Ake was a mistake, he couldn't control the midfield and we got over-ran there countless times. But with tired legs maybe there wasn't another viable option, other than playing Luiz there and Ivanovic at CB.

I still think it was poor considering the players we fielded.

But it just about did the job, and we're through so I guess that's enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    I honestly disagree mate.

The only weakened player was Ake. Ferreira and Benayoun are veterans, the've played more European football than most of our team. That leaves:

Cech
    Terry
    Luiz
    Azpili
    Ramires
    Moses
    Lampard

Ivanovic (s)
    Mikel (s)
    Oscar (s)

All of which are 'first team' players. I think playing Ake was a mistake, he couldn't control the midfield and we got over-ran there countless times. But with tired legs maybe there wasn't another viable option, other than playing Luiz there and Ivanovic at CB.

I still think it was poor considering the players we fielded.

But it just about did the job, and we're through so I guess that's enough.
    Well we won the tie, what more can you ask of the players?

We had to play ake. You do realise we have city in 3 days time even though he was poor it's better than putting lampard there, getting mata/hazard on and them being tired for the city match. I'm not even saying this because we won. If we were ever in deep trouble we'd have put on hazard to save us but we were never troubled that much despite what the scoreline and performance suggested. It's like what happened with madrid against galatasaray 2 days ago they're not going to say mourinho out because they're in the semis of the CL. Same for us.

It's hard when you just change a team like that and expect them to play with the same intensity we have done in recent weeks. We have loads of games, rotated around with squad players that aren't good enough vs a team like kazan and you expect us to win every game especially an away tie in russia. Get real man! I have no qualms about the performance a wins a win and we did that.

ReputationRep:
    Don't really care what the result of the game was so long as we got through, which we did. Obviously a very weakened team, even Terry not what he used to be due to injury problems. They exploited our weaknesses to their best ability but we were just too strong for them to overcome entirely. Roll on City and lets hope our players perform at 100%.

ReputationRep:
    This was the perfect opportunity to start Ake and I'm glad we did, despite him not playing well. We were already winning the tie from the first leg and Rubin, whilst a decent side, aren't a team we can't handle. Gives Ake some experience in Europe and lets us rest players for more important games.

We didn't play very well, but that was nowhere near our first team and we still scored two good goals. We also played a lot more defensively towards the end, hardly bothering to attack, which made Rubin look a lot more dominant. Had we bothered to try and counter instead of Moses just booting the ball down the field I think we could have grabbed an equaliser.

At the end of the day this was a game we could afford to lose with a weak squad and we made the most of the opportunity. We only lost anyway down to an incredibly tame penalty that would never have been awarded in the EPL. It's ridiculous when you consider how Ba was kicked in the face about two months ago - no penalty, and yet one was given today for Azpi hassling Ryazantsez.

ReputationRep:
    Their manager scared me a tad...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Spurs have equalised

ReputationRep:
    Looks like we're repping England in Europe again lads.

I'd like to avoid Basel the most in the semis tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for the Adebayour penalty GIF

ReputationRep:
    We really should win the competition now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    I love how he was "revving" himself up before he ran :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, we are, although I'd prefer if we don't try as hard as last year...

ReputationRep:
    Looks like we're repping England in Europe again lads.

I'd like to avoid Basel the most in the semis tbh.
    We'd do basel personally if we have our best squad on. I'd rather avoid benfica as they were very impressive and have very good players like matic, rodrigo, gaitan who can hurt us. Tottenham would have beat them with a full squad and 11 men.

Well who want to complain about our performance now then? Newcastle and tottenham both played a much more spirited performance than us tonight and they're both out. Which also begs the question why are our europa league games away from home so dead for most of the match unless the opposition dominate us/we dominate them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    We'd do basel personally if we have our best squad on. I'd rather avoid benfica as they were very impressive and have very good players like matic, rodrigo, gaitan who can hurt us. Tottenham would have beat them with a full squad and 11 men.

Well who want to complain about our performance now then? Newcastle and tottenham both played a much more spirited performance than us tonight and they're both out. Which also begs the question why are our europa league games away from home so dead for most of the match unless the opposition dominate us/we dominate them?
    Hmm I'm not sure. Basel's team ethic is fantastic, and they've beaten some big clubs like Man Utd and Bayern last season. We beat Benefica last season so we should be able to use that experience to help us.

No idea, I guess we got too comfortable in the first half. Then they started pressing us like a steamroller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Here you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Here you go.

That's brilliant. It's the run up that does it for me, probably shouldn't find it this amusing though. Oh dear.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.