Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    U mad? :pierre: I think the fact that AVB is at Spurs, they finally have a team that isn't just a flat out embarrassment (borderline), combined with the Willian transfer has brought Spurs into the line of fire more than usual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    Our second team can beat Arsenal's b team so I'm not at all worried
    Won't even be our B team, expect predominantly reserve/youth players with one or two first teamers who have recently returned to fitness (like Vermaelen, Arteta and Big Balls Bendtner, the Last of the Samurai against West Brom)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    U mad? :pierre: I think the fact that AVB is at Spurs, they finally have a team that isn't just a flat out embarrassment (borderline), combined with the Willian transfer has brought Spurs into the line of fire more than usual.
    Believe me I am disappointed that Willian is turning out to be alright for Chelsea, but I'm not that bothered. We've signed some quality players that admittedly had an off day yesterday but could take on any PL team if they're having a good one. We were over it when Eriksen came through the door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    Won't even be our B team, expect predominantly reserve/youth players with one or two first teamers who have recently returned to fitness (like Vermaelen, Arteta and Big Balls Bendtner, the Last of the Samurai against West Brom)
    That's a b team player at best, let's be real

We'll probably go with

Schwarzer
    Azpi Cahill Terry Bertrand
    Mikel Lampard
    Willian De Bruyne Hazard (just back from injury)
    Ba

Which is roughly our second team except 3-4 first team players

What d'you recokin you guys will start with?

ReputationRep:
    I would hope Mourinho plays Aké here. He's easily better than Mikel.

ReputationRep:

We'll probably go with

Schwarzer
    Mikel Lampard
    Ba

arsenal doing well in the league and CL, will be a blessing for you guys..

not a chance wenger will play his tired first team, when he is still in good contention for the two trophies he cares about..

I would expect similar to last time.. sometihng like:

fabianski
    Jenkinson - Vermalen - Kos - Monreal

Midfield of: a combination of Zelalem, Gnabry, Rosicky, and then who ever didnt start at the weekend..

Either Bendtner up front, or maybe Sanogo if he is fit/not injured..

ReputationRep:

We'll probably go with

Schwarzer
    Mikel Lampard
    Ba

I said first team but to be clearer should have said first squad. Vermaelen isn't really first 'team' now either.

I would expect us to field as a I said a mix of reserves/youth and fringe players, maybe one or two first teamers due to injuries and lack of options in certain positions. I think we'll probably field more experience at the back/middle than up front, and in general a slightly stronger team than against WBA. Could see Walcott/Cazorla feature if they're back from injury.

Maybe something along the lines of:

Fabianski/Viviano

Jenkinson/Bellerin - Mertesacker/Sagna - Vermaelen - Monreal

Arteta - Flamini/Wilshere/Zelalem

Miyachi - Gnabry - Eisfeld

Bendtner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Name:  jackie-chan-wtf-face-meme-i9.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  31.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    3atb
    Spoiler:
    Show
    What was interesting about us going 3atb yesterday was that there was a much higher urgency and tempo from us. I think we still struggled to get control of the midfield at the time, but in general we looked better on the counter through the middle. I'm still trying to figure out the formation we played. I'm guessing it was a slightly lopsided 3-4-2-1 of somesort with willian and oscar on the right floating infield with schurrle holding the width on the left with hazard infield. I think what was smart was that he looked to target the norwich centre backs the whole game with direct throughballs in the middle and allowing ba/hazard to run in behind the defence, something which we have struggled to do so far this season.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I think jose thought we should play on the counter attack/fast flowing attacking football later on in the match too. I liked the way in which we had so much pace in the middle in the final third, not just in personnel but our play in the final third was quicker than it has been at times this season. I'd personally like to see us play this formation a bit more over the season, of course we'll struggle defensively on the wings(as seen when redmond came on for snodgrass to add pace to the attack on the wings) but as I said before it does allow us to use the plethora of attacking talent we do as effectively as possible and it quickened our play through the middle. Simply a numbers game, we put on another playmaker who's fast, it's another player who's harder to mark and another player who will be able to play the ball in the middle so will be harder to defend against. Destroys the balance ofc but when we need a result and we're behind and not playing well balance isn't what's needed init rafa?

Striker situation
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I do feel that ba did well though. I'd like to see him given a run of games tbh and should start the games until torres is back. At madrid jose could afford to rotate the two as they were in top form for the most part of his tenure there but we're in a weird situation where three strikers are lacking in goals, while all of their overall contribution have been good, chopping and changing strikers makes it harder to adapt, even if the decision is purely tactical, it will take a while for the players to be adapted to the teams movements in the match. This means that jose should stick with a player for a few games if he wants the strikers to get goals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Man for man for power/dribbling/agression the only person that can possibly come close to him is Luiz.

Cech
    Ivanovic-Cahill-Terry-Cole
    Luiz-Ramires
    Oscar-Mata-(Willian/Schurrle/Hazard)-anything such as form/injuries could happen till then.
    Torres - hopefully back for that game and in the form he was against Everton.

Lampard may not be up for the physical battle in Midfield and may burn out.
    When we played City in the FA Cup semi-final they won the physical battle in midfield which proved crucial in the end. I just jope Jose gives the chance for Luiz to play vs Yaya Toure - big risk but one worth taking.
    Yeah interesting point. He totally bossed us last season and we had no one physical enough to combat him. Shame we sold Matic because I feel he could be a guy we're missing. Maybe Luiz will do a decent job but it is quite a big risk. Need someone who can control the game from deep as well as dictate the tempo well, as well as someone who's quite strong and Rampard can't do that against Touré.

Essien of 2006 would be most welcome. C'mon bison, you've still got it :moon:

At least Kompany is out.

ReputationRep:
    Too much pressure on the player, do feel he has potential, but he's played like 4 games for us and has only started one PL game. Really he needs to be loaned out, but I guess loaning all our reserves last season didn't work out too well for us. :rolleyes: at least this season we learnt the lesson to buy more players if we loan out players who shouldn't be loaned out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Too much pressure on the player, do feel he has potential, but he's played like 4 games for us and has only started one PL game. Really he needs to be loaned out, but I guess loaning all our reserves last season didn't work out too well for us. :rolleyes: at least this season we learnt the lesson to buy more players if we loan out players who shouldn't be loaned out...
    Meh, this is the capital one cup. Don't think there'll be too much pressure on him and it'll be a good chance for him to get a bit of experience and show what he can do. Need some kind of remedy to our midfield problems until Jan at least.

And yes, I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, this is the capital one cup. Don't think there'll be too much pressure on him and it'll be a good chance for him to get a bit of experience and show what he can do. Need some kind of remedy to our midfield problems until Jan at least.

And yes, at least I agree.
    I mean in saying he's better than mikel as he's played once or twice. But play him in the C1C that's fine. Tbh I'd rather us use essien in that game. I think essien needs to be used more anyway and if he gets into form maybe play in the city match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I mean in saying he's better than mikel as he's played once or twice. But play him in the C1C that's fine. Tbh I'd rather us use essien in that game. I think essien needs to be used more anyway and if he gets into form maybe play in the city match.
    I'm putting too much pressure on him by saying he's better than Mikel?

Yeah I suppose. Although I believe the match vs Arsenal is after the City match so there aren't any games we can play him in to get him back to form (Cardiff? I don't know if that's before or after and I can't be bothered to look it up lol).

ReputationRep:
    I'm putting too much pressure on him by saying he's better than Mikel?

Yeah I suppose. Although I believe the match vs Arsenal is after the City match so there aren't any games we can play him in to get him back to form (Cardiff? I don't know if that's before or after and I can't be bothered to look it up lol).
    Sorry if that doesn't make sense. I believe that there's a mentality that people/fans expect too much of young players. So when they don't do as well as people would like eventually people turn on them. Take for example ramsey at arsenal to replace fabregas, or wilshere for england. It was also rather prevalent in the sturridge and lukaku stories at chelsea.

Didn't look at the fixture list, forgot about the international break.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foot...a-8864038.html

ReputationRep:
    Good to see we're going for a central/defensive mids. Spent so long dealing with ams/wingers we neglected that area.

Our team is pretty damn unbalanced tbh which is a tad surprising. When are we going need new (young) CBs, LBs, strikers as well as CMs? Not sure about how well our loanees are doing but Piazon seems to be the standout as well as Hazard. Shame they both play on the wing or as an AM >_>.

ReputationRep:

The table at this stage of the season last year. Just goes to show how little the table actually means at this stage (and how badly our November crumble ****ed us ).

ReputationRep:
    After that annoying United game we seemed to fall apart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)

The table at this stage of the season last year. Just goes to show how little the table actually means at this stage (and how badly our November crumble ****ed us ).
    But sure Chelsea had a really easy start to last season?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2...ea_F.C._season

Wigan
    Reading
    Newcastle
    QPR
    Stoke
    Arsenal
    Norwich

Those were your first 7 games last season..

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.