Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trrr)
    Lukaku asked to be loaned out.
    Because he wasn't getting much game time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enoxial)
    Because he wasn't getting much game time.
    Which in itself redounds nothing to the credit of our management.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buk_Lau)
    What you fans did to Rafa Benetiz is stupendous, disgraceful behavior from all you Chelsea fans.
    Great oxymoron there; your grasp of the English language is stupendous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Ultimately, it's how Jose Mourinho plays top 6 teams.
    United - 1 point
    Spurs - 1 point
    Everton - 0 points
    Not looking too great now is it? If he keeps deciding to drop 2 points in big games it will be close to impossible to win the title.
    On the other hand, a win against Man City would make us the favorites all over again.
    We will do better against the likes of United/Everton/Spurs because we have more depth so I would expect us to win the 2nd matches in the 2nd half of the season.
    Have you noticed something about all those games we played? When you notice that, you'll understand why we have such a low points tally against the top 6/7 teams so far this season.

I hope I'm right, but I see us putting in a positive performance against city, although I'd personally wouldn't mind a draw at home and away to them. I'm confident of beating the rest of the teams at home bar city though and their consistency so far has been lacking in comparison to us(we lost to basel but we've won every other game we're clear favourites for).

United did this for years under fergie too, poor or decent in the big games and win the rest of the games, I doubt under mourinho we'll be losing to QPR at home(or hull at the bridge if you want a comparison of the teams nonsensical losses we've had the past few seasons at home to their current PL counterparts) although tbf our bench could probably win the title and we didn't have that last season.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Which in itself redounds nothing to the credit of our management.
    From day 1 I knew loaning Lukaku was a bad idea...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enoxial)
    From day 1 I knew loaning Lukaku was a bad idea...
    Most people did. Form over reputation, and Lukaku's form over the last sixteen months or so has been exemplary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Have you noticed something about all those games we played? When you notice that, you'll understand why we have such a low points tally against the top 6/7 teams so far this season.

I hope I'm right, but I see us putting in a positive performance against city, although I'd personally wouldn't mind a draw at home and away to them. I'm confident of beating the rest of the teams at home bar city though and their consistency so far has been lacking in comparison to us(we lost to basel but we've won every other game we're clear favourites for).

United did this for years under fergie too, poor or decent in the big games and win the rest of the games, I doubt under mourinho we'll be losing to QPR at home(or hull at the bridge if you want a comparison of the teams nonsensical losses we've had the past few seasons at home to their current PL counterparts) although tbf our bench could probably win the title and we didn't have that last season.
    Tbh, we'd have won the spurs game had Torres stayed on plus the Everton game was just poor poor finishing. Eto'o should've had at least 2 plus Schurrle's chance, then Oscar gets fouled in the box Ivanovic headed over.

Our team is probably in the top 3 most dangerous counter-attacking in Europe and against City, all we need is for Cole to tuck in if Navas is playing to stop them playing wide (which they hardly do anyway). Clichy likes to run forward so there will be space on our right side

ReputationRep:
    For some reason can't see 9mmbulletz post.

But anyway we are pretty dangerous on the counter attack. Something I said last season and the importance of us getting a guy like schurrle on the team as hazard was the only person who provided a consistent attacking outlet. Watching us get dominated in the europa league final due to the lack of eden hazard was a testament to that(if it wasn't blindingly apparent already).

However that doesn't mean that we won't play positively against city just because we are a good counter attacking side atm(although good in possession too) we'll play on the counter attack(see bayern game in super cup) rather than just playing defensively to stifle their game(like against united). Mourinho knows the importance of our home games. For this reason we'll do well at home.

I will concede however that we probably looked a little stronger under benitez with our first 11, but that was after a 5 month bedding in period. But when we do find out our best 11 and they gel we'll be pretty scary I feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    For some reason can't see 9mmbulletz post.

But anyway we are pretty dangerous on the counter attack. Something I said last season and the importance of us getting a guy like schurrle on the team as hazard was the only person who provided a consistent attacking outlet. Watching us get dominated in the europa league final due to the lack of eden hazard was a testament to that(if it wasn't blindingly apparent already).

However that doesn't mean that we won't play positively against city just because we are a good counter attacking side atm(although good in possession too) we'll play on the counter attack(see bayern game in super cup) rather than just playing defensively to stifle their game(like against united). Mourinho knows the importance of our home games. For this reason we'll do well at home.

I will concede however that we probably looked a little stronger under benitez with our first 11, but that was after a 5 month bedding in period. But when we do find out our best 11 and they gel we'll be pretty scary I feel.
    Basically all I said is we need Cole to stop Navas, while Clichy will leave space on his own side. City are not naturally wide so we can squeeze them, although this will mean we're going to concede lots of possession centrally so we may be better off trying to widen the game so we can play more to our strength.

I think we can play well once we click although we need to sort out our central midfield. When Mourinho was last here we had Ballack, Lampard, Essien and Makelele plus Mikel. Bar Mikel, these were all top midfield players and some of the best in their position. I don't need to tell you how good Ballack was at keeping the ball and spraying it around, or how good Makelele was at disrupting opponents play and passing to Ballack/Lampard to start attacks. And I don't need to mention how good Essien was with his striding forward runs.

Although back then, we looked really flat mainly because of Robben's lack of game time from 2006 onwards. In his first 2 seasons, he helped us win the league because he and Duff offered pace with our solid midfield so we always looked dangerous. Then we became flat and Mourinho saw sense in Malouda (not bad mind, but not fit to tie Robben's laces imo). So for a good 5 years, we had no genuine wide fast players until Sturridge was put out there (til he was replaced by Kalou for RDM :rolleyes:). Now we finally have some good pace in attacking positions but the problem remains that since we've sold Makelele, Ballack and Deco (3-5 year time span), we have lacked the ability to control games. Our 2011-2012 CL knockout campaign strongly indicated this. At the Bridge, Benfica had a lot of the ball and we were heavily reliant on their awful defense. Next year in the Europa League, they had lots of the ball and we caught them out because they can't defend.

I'm pretty sure Mourinho is aware of our central midfield problem and will address this with necessary changes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    Basically all I said is we need Cole to stop Navas, while Clichy will leave space on his own side. City are not naturally wide so we can squeeze them, although this will mean we're going to concede lots of possession centrally so we may be better off trying to widen the game so we can play more to our strength.

I think we can play well once we click although we need to sort out our central midfield. When Mourinho was last here we had Ballack, Lampard, Essien and Makelele plus Mikel. Bar Mikel, these were all top midfield players and some of the best in their position. I don't need to tell you how good Ballack was at keeping the ball and spraying it around, or how good Makelele was at disrupting opponents play and passing to Ballack/Lampard to start attacks. And I don't need to mention how good Essien was with his striding forward runs.

Although back then, we looked really flat mainly because of Robben's lack of game time from 2006 onwards. In his first 2 seasons, he helped us win the league because he and Duff offered pace with our solid midfield so we always looked dangerous. Then we became flat and Mourinho saw sense in Malouda (not bad mind, but not fit to tie Robben's laces imo). So for a good 5 years, we had no genuine wide fast players until Sturridge was put out there (til he was replaced by Kalou for RDM :rolleyes:). Now we finally have some good pace in attacking positions but the problem remains that since we've sold Makelele, Ballack and Deco (3-5 year time span), we have lacked the ability to control games. Our 2011-2012 CL knockout campaign strongly indicated this. At the Bridge, Benfica had a lot of the ball and we were heavily reliant on their awful defense. Next year in the Europa League, they had lots of the ball and we caught them out because they can't defend.

I'm pretty sure Mourinho is aware of our central midfield problem and will address this with necessary changes
    I remember saying a similar thing when we faced city at the etihad last season and playing lamps, luiz and ramires in midfield to add steel/pace and narrow the midfield but play wide on the counter attack. In this match I'd like to see schurrle on the right, oscar/mata in the middle and hazard on the left. I think we should hit both sides on the counter or at least target a side with a guy who will stay out wide.

We know the CM position needs to be sorted, I hope he can either improve ramires or get the right player for the team, he did get khedira for real and I doubt he's blinded by loyalty to play lamps every match. I'm sure he didn't get MVG to put him on the bench all season, but I hope he doesn't get romeu syndrome and be forgotten. Annoyed that RDM didn't play the two tbh although he was giving sturridge a chance near the end though.

I'd say RDM's tactics that season was basically a low block for most of the game and work hard players, which was why we dropped sturridge and played ramires there, personally feel that he should have played more and it would have done more for our lack of creativity(and service since the guy clearly can pass/cross) and sturridge and drogba in full form on the counter attack would have been beastly.

Saying that I liked how he put his faith in bertrand though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the fundamental problem with our team isn't our lack of strikers but moreso our very poor midfield

We look alright with our team now but I cannot emphasise enough how we'd look so much better with improvements there -- in fact the problem there is just so clear to see. Sooo many problems would fixed if we adjusted that area. Rampard is possibility our best combo or Ramel which is pretty damn shocking . Please Mourinho get two midfielders next summer.

I know most here don't rate Ramires that highly (one of the few sites that don't, in fact!), but he's probably our most important player right now...

ReputationRep:
    Also, is anyone else annoyed about how unbalanced we are? I mean, with the resources the club have at their disposal compared to other clubs we really should be. Furthermore, ideally we'll become self-sustainable (eventually) but if you compare us to big-spending clubs like Real Madrid, PSG, Monaco and City they all have better balance.

lack of quality striker depth, both CM and DM depth but overloaded in AMs. And in fact, how many out and out wingers do we have? KDB Mata Hazard and Oscar all have the ability to play there but they're primarily AMs -- they're just versatile players. Thank goodness we've got Schurrle even if I don't think he has been spectacular yet (there are quite a few Bundesliga players we could've gone for instead tbh but oh well). Alright wrt CBs for now although that could change next season, RBs we're great, same with GKs, LBs I'm not sure...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Also, is anyone else annoyed about how unbalanced we are? I mean, with the resources the club have at their disposal compared to other clubs we really should be. Furthermore, ideally we'll become self-sustainable (eventually) but if you compare us to big-spending clubs like Real Madrid, PSG, Monaco and City they all have better balance.

lack of quality striker depth, both CM and DM depth but overloaded in AMs. And in fact, how many out and out wingers do we have? KDB Mata Hazard and Oscar all have the ability to play there but they're primarily AMs -- they're just versatile players. Thank goodness we've got Schurrle even if I don't think he has been spectacular yet (there are quite a few Bundesliga players we could've gone for instead tbh but oh well). Alright wrt CBs for now although that could change next season, RBs we're great, same with GKs, LBs I'm not sure...
    your pic aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    your pic aha
    Stand in awe of the great Kojo.

ReputationRep:
    Stand in awe of the great Kojo.
    is he still at chelsea bench warming?

ReputationRep:

well rumour has it that we're looking at Imbula and Pogba. Will probably cost us 50 million for both. If not those 2, we should get Cabaye who would most definitely boost our midfield options and should be available for 15 mill roughly

ReputationRep:
    Who doesn't rate Ramires? Lunatics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    well rumour has it that we're looking at Imbula and Pogba. Will probably cost us 50 million for both. If not those 2, we should get Cabaye who would most definitely boost our midfield options and should be available for 15 mill roughly
    I don't know who Imbula is although I read about that. The new Makelele supposedly...

(Original post by yaboy)
    is he still at chelsea bench warming?
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    This is fantastic.

Read Jose Mourinho's Foreword To Ivorian Striker Didier Drogba's Autobiography

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has paid glowing tribute to one of his most trusted players, Didier Drogba, who ensured his success at Chelsea during his first stint with the club.
    The Ivorian striker was one of Mourinho’s first signings when he arrived at Stamford bridge and one of the Special One’s ‘untouchables’ until he left the club in 2007.
    The Portuguese manager’s foreword to Drogba’s autobiography depicts a special relationship between the two and he describes the Ivory Coast captain as one of the ” few special people who I will keep in my soul and in my heart forever”.

Now described as the Special One after his return to Chelsea this year, Mourinho wrote that: ”I’m a person who likes to treasure memories, and with them I can tell the world many things. I’m not a writer, even less a poet, but my life has been rich with stories, stories full of extraordinary moments. Looking back at them, I can find only a few special people who I will keep in my soul and in my heart forever.
    Didier Drogba came into my life in the fifth minute of a Champions League game in Marseille’s mythical Vélodrome. I’d hardly sat down when that giant with the number 11 on his shirt scored. I remember he celebrated that goal like it was his last and he turned an already hostile atmosphere into a fireball of flares, chants and emotion. The crowd went mad, the noise was deafening.
    At half-time I found him in the tunnel and told him: ‘I don’t have the money to buy you, but do you have any cousins that can play like you in the Ivory Coast?’ In the middle of this tense qualification game he laughed, hugged me and said: ‘One day you’ll be in a club which can buy me.’

Six months later I signed for Chelsea. I had found a super powerful club which everybody wanted to negotiate with, everybody wanted to be linked to – and everybody wanted to play for. I had a number of options, but I arrived and said: ‘I want Didier Drogba.’ Doubts and questions were raised by a few people: ‘Why this one?’, ‘Why not that one?’, ‘Are you sure he will adapt?’, ‘Is he really that good?’
    ‘I want Didier Drogba,’ I said.

A few days passed and I met with Didier in a private airport in London. Again he hugged me, but this time in an unforgettable way: an embrace that showed this man’s gratitude, and the affection he feels towards people who mean a lot to him. Indescribable. Then he told me: ‘Thank you. I will fight for you. You won’t regret it. I will stay loyal to you forever.’ And that’s just what he’s done. His loyalty came out in his leadership and in the way he always faced up to the difficult moments. Moments when nothing else matters than to be there for your leader and your colleagues. This was a person I knew I could count on whenever and wherever I needed. When the team was under pressure he would go back and help the defenders; when he felt pain he would stretch himself to the limit and never give up. Then of course came what he did best: he scored and scored. Those goals brought him titles, amazing awards, but what stays with me are the countless stories we have together.

The FA Cup final at the new Wembley Stadium, 2007. Manchester United: the last game of the season. A lot of people thought this would be my last game in charge of Chelsea. It was a great battle, and then Didier scored in extra-time. The final whistle blew and everybody went mad – apart from two calm individuals. I ran into the dressing room to call my wife. One player avoided the immediate celebrations and followed me down the tunnel. It was Didier, chasing me for a hug. The game was over but in his mind as he left the pitch was only one thing: to hug me as soon as possible. Was he remembering our first encounter? Our second? Or was he thinking that this embrace could be the last…? He found me, we hugged and we cried.

Didier is a special person. And I repeat if I may: person. I could say player of course – and he’s an unbelievable one – but above all, his impact on the world at the moment is as a person: as an African, as an emperor of the Ivory Coast, as a father, and as a son and as a friend. And some of us have the privilege to have him in our lives. Months after the Cup final I was out of Chelsea. As on the first day, there came that same embrace. I couldn’t speak and Didier could only say: ‘This is not possible, this is not possible, this is not happening.’ I could only find the strength to turn and walk away.
    Perhaps this preface should focus on Didier the player. But the player everybody knows – the leader, the title collector, the benefactor as well. All these things he has achieved with skill, effort and humility. Didier is in my life as one of the best players I have managed in my career. But much more importantly, he’s in my life as one of the best and most unforgettable friends.Together, the two of us side by side, fighting for the same thing? Far away? In different clubs? In different countries? Or old, with Didier in retirement and me coaching in a wheelchair? It doesn’t matter.
    Didier. Always near to my heart.”
    José Mourinho

ReputationRep:
    This is fantastic.

Read Jose Mourinho's Foreword To Ivorian Striker Didier Drogba's Autobiography

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has paid glowing tribute to one of his most trusted players, Didier Drogba, who ensured his success at Chelsea during his first stint with the club.

José Mourinho
    Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Superrrrrrrrrrr Gaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Name:  9e1d9_orig-gaaaay.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  19.6 KB

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.