The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Despite our atrocious performance this week, gap between us and 1st is now 4.
Reply 7781
That point yesterday doesn't seem too bad now given how today's games have gone :biggrin:
Hi guys. I have started a Premier League prediction game thread for the rest of the season for those of you that are interested. I hope some of you decide to take part

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2512198
This weekend would have been perfect if we'd won.

West Ham away is simply must win, otherwise we could be 8th at the end of November. :eek:
(edited 10 years ago)
4 points off top, with Arsenal still to play City and us. Luckily, we are yet to play the three teams above us so can take points off them all. But, boy we need a ball-playing central midfielder.

Btw Pogba :drool:

[video="youtube;tT8v0FWTCBE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT8v0FWTCBE[/video]
Original post by 9MmBulletz
4 points off top, with Arsenal still to play City and us. Luckily, we are yet to play the three teams above us so can take points off them all. But, boy we need a ball-playing central midfielder.

Btw Pogba :drool:

[video="youtube;tT8v0FWTCBE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT8v0FWTCBE[/video]

And you've yet to play Liverpool and us...
Reply 7786
Didn't watch the whole game, but from what I saw West Brom deserved the 3 points. Definitely wasn't a penalty at the end, not sure about calling it a dive but he definitely went down pretty easily, although then again players go down in a similar fashion all the time, particularly in a situation such as this one tbf. Either way Mariner bottled it.

Although that's football. You're lucky as **** one week then the next you get ****ed over. Swings and roundabouts.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Nickini
Didn't watch the whole game, but from what I saw West Brom deserved the 3 points. Definitely wasn't a penalty at the end, not sure about calling it a dive but he definitely went down pretty easily, although then again players go down in a similar fashion all the time, particularly in a situation such as this one tbf. Either way Mariner bottled it.

Although that's football. You're lucky as **** one week then the next you get ****ed over. Swings and roundabouts.

West Brom didn't deserve it imo. They had no shots on target for the whole first half, and their only shots on target were Cech's save from the corner, then the rebound that went in and Sessegnon's (which should've been saved).

There was a foul in the build-up to Sessegnon's too

Needless to say, we weren't great and it's a wake-up call
Reply 7788
Never going to win the title if Lampard keeps playing. His legacy is being tarnished somewhat. He should have been faded out slowly and brought in every now and then to perform to his best.

Playing him every game and watching him be ineffective is no way to remember someone who is arguably our greatest player of all time.

Mikel needs to be starting most games, glad to see Willian and Eto'o looking good though.

Also. I hate November.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
And you've yet to play Liverpool and us...

Which is a good opportunity to take points from rivals. Can see United being top at Christmas tbh as they've only got Tottenham as a real tough game in the next 8. Title race is really anyone's guess at this stage...
I forgot that Andre Marriner was a Villa fan :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cannotbelieveit

West Ham away is simply must win, otherwise we could be 8th at the end of November. :eek:

We must avail maximum opportunities on counter attacks.
Original post by sevchenko
José Mourinho (October 5, 2013): "I hate diving. My players know they will be in big trouble with me if they dive. It's very bad."- Hypocrisy at it's best

I prefer Taggart protecting referees over the Mikel thing despite having a string of offences attacking them in the past. But yeah hypocrisy is all over the place. Why are Utd fans moaning at Ashley Young for diving? Ronaldo was doing it for years. Just like every footballer should be sent off for foul language but it's only ever brought up when it goes a bit further, usually only if racist issues are brought into question. I find it odd that no footballer has been caught for using homophobic slurs on the pitch since Robbie Fowler. I can't remember any anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NDGAARONDI
I prefer Taggart protecting referees over the Mikel thing despite having a string of offences attacking them in the past. But yeah hypocrisy is all over the place. Why are Utd fans moaning at Ashley Young for diving? Ronaldo was doing it for years. Just like every footballer should be sent off for foul language but it's only ever brought up when it goes a bit further, usually only if racist issues are brought into question. I find it odd that no footballer has been caught for using homophobic slurs on the pitch since Robbie Fowler. I can't remember any anyway.

I think it's stupid to give red cards for diving because then you'll have to give red cards for

-Waving cards at the referee
-Swearing at the referee

Which are both more verbal ways of trying to influence the referee.

Plus, denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity will probably be upped to a 3-game ban.

Then there's the silly argument that diving should get a 5-game ban. I think a two-footed tackle or violent conduct is much worse than diving. Most players would rather a player dive than a player potentially injure/ assault them.

Diving's not great to see, but it's part of the game now, and it's not the worst thing. The temperament of players and their attitudes towards authority figures is more alarming
Original post by 9MmBulletz
I think it's stupid to give red cards for diving because then you'll have to give red cards for

-Waving cards at the referee
-Swearing at the referee

Which are both more verbal ways of trying to influence the referee.

Plus, denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity will probably be upped to a 3-game ban.

Then there's the silly argument that diving should get a 5-game ban. I think a two-footed tackle or violent conduct is much worse than diving. Most players would rather a player dive than a player potentially injure/ assault them.

Diving's not great to see, but it's part of the game now, and it's not the worst thing. The temperament of players and their attitudes towards authority figures is more alarming

Swearing at the referee, or anyone else for that matter, is a red card offence according to Law 12, see page 39. Whether or not it's enforced is another matter. Waving the imaginary card will count as unsporting behaviour and that is a yellow card.

I'm just amused that commentators, in the general sense (supporters, pundits, journalists etc), bother to react to a suspected act of simulation when it has been an endemic for donkey years. Managers have the authority to tell their players not do it or face never playing for their team again and the only one I can think of was Sir Bobby Robson with Laurent Robert. I'll always remember Luiz' wind up against Utd fans who are moaning he 'simulated' acting like girls at a One Direction concert as if they've never seen a player simulate before or don't like receiving stick having given it themselves.

Thing is, the deliberate denying of a goal scoring opportunity, where players are said to take "one for the team", ought to be punished more. If you're not going for the ball then what are you doing? You're deliberately going for the player. You may well risk more injury to that player than victim's of assault 'taps' like when Rooney got sent off against Macedonia or Beckham against Argentina. I've seen some yellows given because they weren't the "last man" but, according to Laws of the game by FIFA, that's not needed unless I've missed something. A team can be overrun with its defence AWOL and you can have a 2 on 4 situation in favour of the attacking side and the defender ahead of his teammate can commit a "cynical" foul with impunity knowing it will give him a yellow to save a goal being conceded rather than the red card.

I wouldn't mind seeing punishments for the severity of injury caused to dictate the length of a ban. So someone like Roy Keane for taking out Haaland would have been banned for life because you can't rely on the criminal justice to function properly. They are more likely to send you to prison for six months for being a working class hero by stopping the Boat Race by taking a swim in the Thames. Rugby league uses a more proportionate system to deal with these situations so it's not unknown, just regulation and administration in football is still in the Dark Ages. Nothing new there then. But yeah, personal injury is always worse than simulation.

What gets my goat are managers who approach the fourth official constantly over decisions the referee has made. He cannot do anything so why bother? Not only is it unsporting but it's pathetically dumb. It appears the FA are taking a harder stance towards this but, forgive me for being cynical, that appears to coincide with one of the worst offending managers having already retired. If you wish to show as transparent and fair, nobody escapes punishment regardless of who is in the spotlight.

To be frank, this is the Mourinho I want to see, passion and confrontation. Not afraid to get stuck in.
LOL.

Not bad di Matteo, earning money and being stress free :tongue:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1384360873.263926.jpg
If anyone wants some info on our relation with Vitesse, here's a really good piece

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2013/11/13/5098996/chelsea-fc-vitesse-arnhem-relationship

Latest