The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bammy jastard 27
Reckon Lukaku got a reprimand after his performance that day and he got angry if I'm being honest.
Really strange situation though. We can either get 30m for him or just put him in the squad. I'm not too bothered with either option although I'd like him to stay, decision would have been made easier if we'd kept sturridge though. :rolleyes:

Its been a spiralling situation for the past two years, although people would blame mourinho for not starting him which probably compounded to this I don't think its his fault. I'd say that the fernando torres effect is affecting all our strikers. No coincidence both our promising strikers have forced moves away the past 6 months and we've been still playing this dud.

Not sure about Sturridge. He's been having problems with Liverpool with regards to attitude, so I've heard. These attitudes may hold these players back tbh.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Nickini
Yeah its weird, always appeared pretty level headed to me. Maybe his success has got to him? :dontknow:

Nah he's just an arrogant douche. After the CL victory he refused to collect a medal because he thought he didn't contribute enough. If you want to help the team then go and celebrate the biggest moment of the club's history ffs. Tbh it's not different to the attitude of most 20 year olds, who think they're better than they actually are. Courtois is in the same position but he hasn't been a dick about it. He could easily play for any top team in the world yet he's chosen to stay with us and accepted his loan spells (for now...)
Lukaku was never in Mourinho's plans. I mean he didn't start against Villa, Hull or United or Bayern. I guess if he stayed long enough, he would have got his opportunity around this time and would cement himself in the starting XI, but why would Lukaku risk that in a WC year. He could've ended up being another KDB. It was the right choice and Mourinho is only getting arsey because the media has made it out as if letting him go was a massive failure (which it is, since the manager decides who goes on loan and who doesnt, not the player). I think a few of you are starting to get bitter over Lukaku simply because hes banging the goals in lol.
Reply 8063
Original post by The Assassin
Not sure about Sturridge. He's been having problems with Liverpool with regards to attitude, so I've heard. These attitudes may hold these players back tbh.

Not really, all he said was that he wants to play as a no.9 and wants to play as many games as possible, his goal record also states otherwise about his attitude holding him back.

He wanted to play for england to secure a starting spot for the world cup, which was why he said that statement, you can drop him, but when he's single handedly a match winner, you should be trying to get the best out of him. We didn't, liverpool are, that's why he's scored more than all our strikers combined in the league this season.
Original post by Isometrix
Nah he's just an arrogant douche. After the CL victory he refused to collect a medal because he thought he didn't contribute enough. If you want to help the team then go and celebrate the biggest moment of the club's history ffs. Tbh it's not different to the attitude of most 20 year olds, who think they're better than they actually are. Courtois is in the same position but he hasn't been a dick about it. He could easily play for any top team in the world yet he's chosen to stay with us and accepted his loan spells (for now...)

Lol, Courtois has been kind of arrogant though. Saying he's already in the top 5 and will challenge anybody for a place since he thinks he's that good. Also not sure about the last bit, don't think he has any contact at all with Chelsea and he said he's really enjoying staying at Atletico.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8065
Original post by little_tom
Lukaku was never in Mourinho's plans. I mean he didn't start against Villa, Hull or United or Bayern. I guess if he stayed long enough, he would have got his opportunity around this time and would cement himself in the starting XI, but why would Lukaku risk that in a WC year. He could've ended up being another KDB. It was the right choice and Mourinho is only getting arsey because the media has made it out as if letting him go was a massive failure (which it is, since the manager decides who goes on loan and who doesnt, not the player). I think a few of you are starting to get bitter over Lukaku simply because hes banging the goals in lol.

He was in his plans, we originally was going to get rid of demba ba. Lukaku then puts in a transfer request which explains everything.

Bar that, I agree with everything else you're saying. Lukaku made the right decision, I'd have done the same thing, maybe with a bit more humility in the process.

I don't blame mourinho for what he did, it was the right decision on both parties considering the circumstances.
Lol, Courtois has been kind of arrogant though. Saying he's already in the top 5 and will challenge anybody for a place since he thinks he's that good.

Yeah but he hasn't disrespected or criticised the club.
Reply 8067
Original post by Nickini
Can't find an article which says that on Eurosport...and I struggle to even see why he'd do that?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25158153

He does say here he'd consider staying at Everton if they got CL though.

Found the story on twitter and basically copied it onto here tbh. Other news outlets are starting to report it as well.

Thing is I'm sure Mourinho wanted him to stay and fight for his place. If Lukaku actually got a chance and was doing well I don't think Mourinho wouldn't have benched him like what happened with Sturridge.I'm guessing what Mourinho was referring to when he said Lukaku should say everything is basically that he was too weak to fight for his place and chose somewhere he wouldn't have much competition
Original post by Isometrix
Yeah but he hasn't disrespected or criticised the club.

Still a tad confused about what's going on though. He shouldn't do that obviously but I'd like to know what the disrespectful part of what he said was. Mourinho says he likes to talk, and the way he suggested it doesn't seem good.

Too many frustrating things going on with the club right now.
Reply 8069
Lol, Courtois has been kind of arrogant though. Saying he's already in the top 5 and will challenge anybody for a place since he thinks he's that good.

But is he not right?
I don't get why we're blaming these players, they're close to world class and certainly can reach that level in a year or two yet are farmed on loan year on year. With Courtois it's completely understandable, Cechs used to the league and more experienced and reliable so it's a sheg on his part. With Lukaku, he should have been getting gametime last year, he didn't because of torres. He should have been starting this season, he didn't because of torres.

An idiot could see that Lukaku would have been our second best striker at the start of last season yet we loan him out then start our worst striker of the three. It's that mentality of reputation over ability that has held us back recently. It's why we didn't play romeu, it's why we haven't used chalobah, it's why lamps still starts as a DM and gets 90mins, it's why we never used sturridge or lukaku. We then blame it on the player then wonder why they're banging goals for other teams that trust them.

I look at arsenal and think, if aaron ramsey or jack wilshere broke their leg playing for us, they'd have been loaned off to vitesse or sold for peanuts. You, I and every single poster on this forum who knows a thing about football knows that's the case.

Sorry for long posts, the situation is pissing me off.
He was in his plans, we originally was going to get rid of demba ba. Lukaku then puts in a transfer request which explains everything.

Bar that, I agree with everything else you're saying. Lukaku made the right decision, I'd have done the same thing, maybe with a bit more humility in the process.

I don't blame mourinho for what he did, it was the right decision on both parties considering the circumstances.

I didn't know he handed in a transfer request. This must be new. Fact is though, even when a player hands in a transfer request its not the end of the world. Given the focal point of Mourinho's coaching is his man-management letting Lukaku go was very, very poor. I mean even Lambert kept Benteke and got him to sign another contract. And it does show that Lukaku wasn't really in his plans since he bought Eto'o in, limited his opportunities to 20 minutes a game, and didn't fight enough to keep him for this season.
Reply 8071
Original post by little_tom
I didn't know he handed in a transfer request. This must be new. Fact is though, even when a player hands in a transfer request its not the end of the world. Given the focal point of Mourinho's coaching is his man-management letting Lukaku go was very, very poor. I mean even Lambert kept Benteke and got him to sign another contract. And it does show that Lukaku wasn't really in his plans since he bought Eto'o in, limited his opportunities to 20 minutes a game, and didn't fight enough to keep him for this season.

I understand why you think that. But look at deadline day.

Originally we were going to send ba to newcastle or arsenal and he was never in Mourinho's plans, Arsenal were haggling and Ba wanted to play CL football so that took him out of the equation on deadline day, but all summer there were talks of him leaving.

We now have 4 strikers competiting for one spot due to the presence of eto'o. Lukaku most likely would have been the third striker had we sold ba, we play in 4 competitions this season, likely to get on a good run for most of the competitions, it would have resulted in all the players being rotated, Mourinho is one for rotating his strikers each game depending on the opponent(as shown by at real)

Now, Lukaku says he wants to leave on deadline day, with the extra striker we have and our reluctance to sell ba to arsenal for obvious reasons, we decide to take it and loan him out. He would have been in mourinho's plans, him playing in the supercup instead of ba e.g. shows that we were planning on using him, just not in the way we'd have hoped.
But is he not right?
I don't get why we're blaming these players, they're close to world class and certainly can reach that level in a year or two yet are farmed on loan year on year. With Courtois it's completely understandable, Cechs used to the league and more experienced and reliable so it's a sheg on his part. With Lukaku, he should have been getting gametime last year, he didn't because of torres. He should have been starting this season, he didn't because of torres.

An idiot could see that Lukaku would have been our second best striker at the start of last season yet we loan him out then start our worst striker of the three. It's that mentality of reputation over ability that has held us back recently. It's why we didn't play romeu, it's why we haven't used chalobah, it's why lamps still starts as a DM and gets 90mins, it's why we never used sturridge or lukaku. We then blame it on the player then wonder why they're banging goals for other teams that trust them.

I look at arsenal and think, if aaron ramsey or jack wilshere broke their leg playing for us, they'd have been loaned off to vitesse or sold for peanuts. You, I and every single poster on this forum who knows a thing about football knows that's the case.

Sorry for long posts, the situation is pissing me off.

Hm, perhaps, he definitely will be in the future and perhaps even the best. Not sure about top 5 just yet but surely among the best and the best young keeper.

Perhaps with Lukaku, maybe Jose was relying on him being an impact player, and couldn't guarantee him starts but still wanted him to stick around and fight for his place. José just feels like Lukaku took the easy way out, or maybe just feels that Lukaku didnt show the right mentality/team loyalty to stick around and fight like others have, as was previously mentioned.

Idk. I'm trying to find some motivation to get riled up about this situation and debate but I can't be bothered right now. Feel too relaxed :cool:

Oh and just to add, whilst the other two have obviously been scoring a lot, multiple goals there doesn't automatically translate to the same amount of goals here at Chelsea. Would've obviously got more than Torres but I'm not sure if they'd be banging them in for fun. Sturridge scored 12 goals in one of his seasons for us though. Meh.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8073
Hm, perhaps, he definitely will be in the future and perhaps even the best. Not sure about top 5 just yet but surely among the best and the best young keeper.

Perhaps with Lukaku, maybe Jose was relying on him being an impact player, and couldn't guarantee him starts but still wanted him to stick around and fight for his place. José just feels like Lukaku took the easy way out, or maybe just feels that Lukaku didnt show the right mentality/team loyalty to stick around and fight like others have, as was previously mentioned.

Idk. I'm trying to find some motivation to get riled up about this situation and debate but I can't be bothered right now. Feel too relaxed :cool:

Oh and just to add, whilst the other two have obviously been scoring a lot, multiple goals there doesn't automatically translate to the same amount of goals here at Chelsea. Would've obviously got more than Torres but I'm not sure if they'd be banging them in for fun. Sturridge scored 12 goals in one of his seasons for us though. Meh.

Agree with first 3 paragraphs. Not with the fourth, Sturridge got 12 goals on the right wing and also got 7 in 12 for a relegation team up top, if there was any conclusive evidence that he should have started up top when fit considering our other options, that was it.

Tbh, I've had the thoughts about torres since the west brom game we lost last year, that he's unwittingly parasitic to any striker who wants to succeed at chelsea who doesn't have as big a name as him.
(edited 10 years ago)
Agree with first 3 paragraphs. Not with the fourth, Sturridge got 12 goals on the right wing and also got 7 in 12 for a relegation team up top, if there was any conclusive evidence that he should have started up top when fit, that was it.

Tbh, I've had the thoughts about torres since the west brom game we lost last year, that he's unwittingly parasitic to any striker who wants to succeed at chelsea who doesn't have as big a name as him.

Yeah I added that bit in the end. I'm just saying in general, and it's similar to some people wanting to buy people like Falcao or Jackson Martinez -- absolutely prolific goalscorers at their clubs -- their records may not automatically translate to the same vast number of goals here.

Wonder how Courtois will develop. I'd put him at 6th or 7th really. Can't say he's straight away better than Cech although I wouldn't really have a problem with that. He's really saved us on numerous occasions. Big game player and still a beast after his injury. Courtois reminds me of him before his injury tbh.
Reply 8075
Yeah I added that bit in the end. I'm just saying in general, and it's similar to some people wanting to buy people like Falcao or Jackson Martinez -- absolutely prolific goalscorers at their clubs -- their records may not automatically translate to the same vast number of goals here.

Wonder how Courtois will develop. I'd put him at 6th or 7th really. Can't say he's straight away better than Cech although I wouldn't really have a problem with that. He's really saved us on numerous occasions. Big game player and still a beast after his injury. Courtois reminds me of him before his injury tbh.

I get that, due to the system etc. I do think that we bought poorly, we bought a torres that was past his peak and any other striker we got/played after either hasn't had consistent gametime(sturridge/lukaku), past their peak(eto'o but work in progress) or was a form player at their clubs(Ba).

I'm sure if we bought a top striker like lewandowski we'd be banging in goals for fun, especially under di matteo and benitez.

With courtois, yeah fair enough, 6th/7th isn't far from 5th, but it's an even ball game tbh, even valdes has been a beast this season :lol: loads of goalies can make the top 5 list, even no.13s like casillas :rofl:
(edited 10 years ago)

Lol don't compare Falcao to Martinez... at least not yet anyway.
Falcao is one of the most clinical strikers in football.
Original post by 9MmBulletz
Lol don't compare Falcao to Martinez... at least not yet anyway.
Falcao is one of the most clinical strikers in football.

...I wasn't. I was listing strikers with high goal-scoring records, and saying that record wouldn't be the same if those strikers were here. Could do the same for many others.
Reply 8078
...I wasn't. I was listing strikers with high goal-scoring records, and saying that record wouldn't be the same if those strikers were here. Could do the same for many others.

Get your point wrt sturridge and lukaku(I think they'd have better goalscoring records than our current players), but we haven't even bought a proven striker at that top level since we got torres, who was doing average at liverpool anyway at the time we got him.

Had we got RVP, I'm sure he'd be getting loads of goals, people thought he couldn't do it at united and work with rooney, same as with rooney. Cavani's getting goals at PSG too playing with ibra. Why is it that only our team struggles to get a goalscorer with a high goalscoring record or consistent performances yet every other top team in the league(bar spurs for obvious reasons) has?

Falcao would definitely score plenty of goals here. He is that good. You saw what he did to us in the Super Cup. Imagine what he'd be like against other Premier League defenses.

With Torres, the only time when he was really prolific was when he was at Liverpool. At Atletico, he would score around 15 goals a season on average. Aguero looked a stronger replacement. When Torres had left Liverpool for us, that was when he was least prolific, scoring 9 in 23 league games before he left.

With Sturridge, we didn't give him a chance. He went on loan to Bolton so Torres could come in early 2011. He had a good record there so we brought him back. AVB actually started him most of the time (which I liked) and although he was on the wing, he ended up scoring like 9/10 league goals by January. RDM favoured Kalou (god knows why except defensive stability) so he hardly played and it made us look really flat when we were attacking. We offered absolutely no threat to Bayern Munich all game long except a corner kick. Then come 2012-2013, Torres was like how he wants to be the first choice. We give him that and he does alright till October/November although he gets terrible by November. We play Sturridge up front against West Brom and we actually look threatening. Shame he got injured and never played for us again. That was the worst timing ever as he would've played vs Juve and we would've definitely cause them more problems than we did.

With Sturridge, it was clear we didn't give him enough opportunities because when we did, he looked a very dangerous player and it's a shame all this stuff has been happening to us because of a player who had started to go downhill after the last World Cup. It's not that Sturridge couldn' fit in our team He could and that kind of striker would be perfect for the attacking midfield players we have. Had we given Sturridge a chance (or more RDM), he would still be here.

Latest