Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    City have a tough next 2 months, In December they have West Brom and Southampton away as well as Arsenal and Liverpool at home. In January, they are away to Swansea, Newcastle and Tottenham.

Ours is no blessing either, with a trip to the Emirates as well as a home game against Liverpool (who should be Sturridge-less). By the end of the year, we'll have a better idea of what we;re capable of as everyone has played each other once.

Hopefully, We can get 14/18 in December at least. That will give us 41 points by Christmas. We get a much needed central midfielder or 2 in Christmas and get better form. Not worried about our game at the Etihad, as City will be wary of our counter-attacking threat and we're not as deadbeat as Spurs. Not saying we'll win but I'm sure Mourinho has something planned for the City game
    Good point wrt City, I thought that would be the case. He usually has gameplans when he's facing a stronger team.

I'm not scared of liverpool at home, but I'm hoping we just play for a draw at emirates and nick a result tbh. Play to win if we're in a losing position, but we can't afford to be 7 points behind to them I feel with City also lurking.

It may be premature, but do you think we've gone stronger over the course of this season? I don't think we've played any better than last season, but with added depth unlike last season which was our downfall then, should be able to sustain runs of form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Good point wrt City, I thought that would be the case. He usually has gameplans when he's facing a stronger team.

I'm not scared of liverpool at home, but I'm hoping we just play for a draw at emirates and nick a result tbh. Play to win if we're in a losing position, but we can't afford to be 7 points behind to them I feel with City also lurking.

It may be premature, but do you think we've gone stronger over the course of this season? I don't think we've played any better than last season, but with added depth unlike last season which was our downfall then, should be able to sustain runs of form.
    Thing is though by the time we play Arsenal, City have already played them, so we could be 1 point behind. That's assuming we beat Sunderland (which we almost always do), Stoke (50% chance away) and Palace at home. Playing for a draw at the Emirates is cool but we should really hit them on the break as much as possible. I always bite my nails when we play Arsenal because we're on the backfoot alot (especially at the Emirates), but we'll get our moment.

It's too early to say if we're better than last year or not. We've got more cover, but only Christmas will tell. If we're top or within 2 points of top we've got a good chance. I reckon we'll get 80-85 points this year, which probably suggests in my eyes we'll probably end up 2nd but not far from the top if at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billybo_h)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNA7XRvFDjU

Guessing Dave was starting to annoy him...
    Never really understood the whole Dave thing, his name is pretty much pronounced how it's spelt

ReputationRep:
    https://twitter.com/LFPnews/status/4...161217/photo/1

Courtois named best goalkeeper in La Liga.

Saddens me to say this but I think he needs to return next season and be first choice, hopefully Cech would be okay with a lesser role at the club, but then again it isn't really fair to bench a player of his quality. Courtois won't want to go from playing in the CL and keeping up with Barca/Real in La Liga to playing for a midtable EPL side, and sending him to a top 4/title rival would be a disastrous move so loaning him out again isn't really an option I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    https://twitter.com/chelseafc/status/407833291492835329
    Mourinho also says Samuel Eto'o is back in training and could feature at Sunderland but Oscar is unavailable tomorrow. #CFC
    Eto'o is back for tomorrow, but Oscar is out. Hopefully this means we'll see Mata again or maybe KDB.

ReputationRep:
    Cech is only 31. He has years ahead of him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    https://twitter.com/chelseafc/status/407833291492835329

Eto'o is back for tomorrow, but Oscar is out. Hopefully this means we'll see Mata again or maybe KDB.
    Still want to see more Hazard/Mata/KDB. That, if on form, would be out best tbh. Need to see more Schurrle too.

ReputationRep:

Saddens me to say this but I think he needs to return next season and be first choice, hopefully Cech would be okay with a lesser role at the club, but then again it isn't really fair to bench a player of his quality. Courtois won't want to go from playing in the CL and keeping up with Barca/Real in La Liga to playing for a midtable EPL side, and sending him to a top 4/title rival would be a disastrous move so loaning him out again isn't really an option I don't think.
    I think you'll have a tough summer where Courtois will come back and say - will I be number 1? And the answer will be no since Cech still is in his prime.

Courtois will then ask to go back to Atletico and I can imagine Chelsea will say no since they won't want him to be too rooted to another club but then is there anyone you could send him to in the premier league where he'd be happier than in Madrid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I think you'll have a tough summer where Courtois will come back and say - will I be number 1? And the answer will be no since Cech still is in his prime.

Courtois will then ask to go back to Atletico and I can imagine Chelsea will say no since they won't want him to be too rooted to another club but then is there anyone you could send him to in the premier league where he'd be happier than in Madrid?
    I think I'm right in saying that you can't loan a player back to the same club for more than 3 consecutive seasons, so if he goes back to Atletico then he has to go for good. I doubt a title contender would take him on loan because that's 2 games per season, plus any cup clashes, that they won't be able to play their first choice keeper, and it would be a stupid decision. He's too good for a non-contending club. Loan to Barca?

A difficult decision will come for you guys/Mourinho at the end of the season; Cech could still have a good 8 or 9 years in him, certainly 5 and I can't imagine he'd be happy sat on the bench for a good few years yet. Courtois could end up providing nearly 20 years of service though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_tom)
    Cech is only 31. He has years ahead of him
    He supposedly wants to retire earlier than most keepers do, partly due to his head injury and some issues with his knees, although despite this being said frequently I don't think I've ever actually seen a source for it so pinch of salt. And anyway that still would mean he's looking at at least 4 more years before considering retirement.

(Original post by Zerforax)

I think we may have to let Cech go tbh (unless he's willing to play backup but he's too good for that), as much as I hate to say it. He's still one of the best keepers in the world, but Courtois is probably just as good and will only improve with experience, and with Courtois we'll have a top GK for potentially the next 15+ years.

Courtois can't go back to Atletico due to the rule which prevents a player being loaned to the same club for more than 3 seasons (specific rule for La Liga IIRC). I doubt he'll want to go to a midtable club after going toe-to-toe to Barca/Real in La Liga and playing in the CL, which only leaves top clubs really. Barcelona could be an option, or City if we're talking in the EPL due to their GK problems - but loaning him to City would be pretty much suicide tbh. And all we'd really be doing is putting the problem off for a year, possibly disillusioning Courtois in the process. Think we've got to make a hard decision in the summer. Will be super pissed off if we let the best young goalkeeper in the world go though.

ReputationRep:

Or we could send him back to Madrid for another couple seasons, he seems very happy there and lets be frank, Cech is still the best goalkeeper in the PL. (And Madrid aren't going to turn him down )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    Or we could send him back to Madrid for another couple seasons, he seems very happy there and lets be frank, Cech is still the best goalkeeper in the PL. (And Madrid aren't going to turn him down )
    We can't, a player can only be sent to the same club on loan for a maximum of three seasons (this is his third). Think it's a La Liga specific rule.

ReputationRep:
    I think we might need to sell Courtois.

ReputationRep:

Would you mind if we sold him for a world record fee for a GK like parma did with gigi buffon? He certainly is worth the same as buffon was when he went to juve.

I don't think we'll be doing a real madrid situation either and bench one, speaking of that, hearing casillas wants to leave madrid at the end of the season and City are interested. They may go for Valdes too though.

We could just loan him to barca, plus I doubt Atleti have the money to buy courtois anyway.

ReputationRep:
    We can't, a player can only be sent to the same club on loan for a maximum of three seasons (this is his third). Think it's a La Liga specific rule.
    Hmm.. Well still we don't have to loan him to a PL club, Italy, France, Germany, there's bound to be someone who'd take him considering I'd say he is one of the best in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Would you mind if we sold him for a world record fee for a GK like parma did with gigi buffon? He certainly is worth the same as buffon was when he went to juve.

I don't think we'll be doing a real madrid situation either and bench one, speaking of that, hearing casillas wants to leave madrid at the end of the season and City are interested. They may go for Valdes too though.

We could just loan him to barca, plus I doubt Atleti have the money to buy courtois anyway.
    I just think we'd live to regret it. He's already a top keeper and is only going to improve, Cech won't be here forever, particularly if what's said about him retiring early for a keeper is true. I'd much rather we made a tough decision now and had one of the best keepers in the world for 15+ years than were struggling to find a replacement for Cech in 5.

It's a massive shame of course, Cech is a world class player and a club legend and I'd hate to see him go but I think it would be for the best in the long term. Wrt to the whole benching thing I meant that if Cech was willing to stay and be rotated/backup (depending on how things go) to Courtois, if not there'd be a lot of clubs interested in him and he would still command a decent sum of money.

(Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    Hmm.. Well still we don't have to loan him to a PL club, Italy, France, Germany, there's bound to be someone who'd take him considering I'd say he is one of the best in the world.
    All that achieves though is putting off making a decision for a year. And tbf it could just result in Courtois losing patience and asking to move/not wanting to sign a new contract, he's under contract until 2016 which would mean there'd only be a year left should we loan him out again. Apparently we're trying to extend his contract but he's stalling due to this situation which isn't a good sign; another year on loan could be the final nail in the coffin, plus we'd lose out on money seeing as he'd be in the last year of his contract upon his return so more pressure to sell. It's understandable for him to be annoyed if we're planning on shipping him out on loan until we need him seeing as he's more than good enough to play for us now. Mourinho did apparently want him back for this season but Courtois preferred to go on loan to guarantee playing time in a WC year which is fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about it some more, we need to get some English players through. Unfortunately we aren't very good at producing them so we'll have to get one off somewhere else . Central midfielder? Possibly Barkley with our LB being Shaw obviously (or Bertrand...) Like Chalobah as well but he isn't getting games at Forest so I'm not sure what his progress is like.

ReputationRep:
    it is difficult when any top player leaves the club but i think when Courtois is back we need to use him as a first choice keeper. What Cech decides is best for him we will have to see but you can't keep using the same players forever. I've seen some great players leave the club such as Robben, Joe Cole, Makalele, Alex, Anelka, Cudicini, Carvalio and of course Drogba. They are difficult to replace but when we have such a talented young keeper how has proved himself at the top level we would be fools to keep Cech as number one and let Courtois leave. It would be sad to see Cech replaced but it always is when top players go. Cudicini was an awesome keeper but Cech came in and it was decided he should be number 1 and we got 10 years out of him as a top keeper. The same thing needs to happen now or we will have spend money to develop a top keeper for another team. Cech is a legend at the club as are Lampard, Ashley Cole and Terry but you have to move on as a club if you want to be successful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafreak)
    it is difficult when any top player leaves the club but i think when Courtois is back we need to use him as a first choice keeper. What Cech decides is best for him we will have to see but you can't keep using the same players forever. I've seen some great players leave the club such as Robben, Joe Cole, Makalele, Alex, Anelka, Cudicini, Carvalio and of course Drogba. They are difficult to replace but when we have such a talented young keeper how has proved himself at the top level we would be fools to keep Cech as number one and let Courtois leave. It would be sad to see Cech replaced but it always is when top players go. Cudicini was an awesome keeper but Cech came in and it was decided he should be number 1 and we got 10 years out of him as a top keeper. The same thing needs to happen now or we will have spend money to develop a top keeper for another team. Cech is a legend at the club as are Lampard, Ashley Cole and Terry but you have to move on as a club if you want to be successful.
    I've always said this was our worst decision considering his replacement (Malouda, 4 years older)

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea are looking to record back-to-back away league wins for the first time since Jose Mourinho rejoined the club, and for only the second time in 2013.

No striker has scored an away league goal for Chelsea in 2013. Fernando Torres was the last centre forward to net on the road for the Blues, doing so in a 3-1 win at Sunderland on 8 December 2012.

Chelsea have been caught offside more often than any other Premier League side this season (43 times).

:wtf:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.