The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nickini
Lukaku can't expect to be the number 1 choice striker for a club like Chelsea at his age.

Age shouldn't have anything to do with it. If you're putting in the performances that should be it. If we discovered the Brazilian Ronaldo we'd have loaned him out too often and then lose him.
Reply 8641
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Age shouldn't have anything to do with it. If you're putting in the performances that should be it. If we discovered the Brazilian Ronaldo we'd have loaned him out too often and then lose him.
Yeah of course, perhaps I phrased that badly. I mean at 20 Lukaku can't just expect/demand to be first choice for us. That isn't to say he can't earn it through his performances, but if us buying a top striker will drive him away then it's not really the club at fault. Eto'o will be gone at the end of the season, and if we were to buy a striker so would one of Torres/Ba. Lukaku is better than both of them so should have no problem establishing himself as second choice to said top striker, if not challenging for the number 1 spot. Challenging for a spot is something Lukaku will have to do eventually if he wants to be playing at a top club, would he be number 1 choice at City/United/Arsenal/Bayern/Madrid/Barcelona etc. right now?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8642
Original post by Nickini

Debatable, he certainly has the potential to be a top class player and is definitely already very good. The next bit is BS though, he started the first game of the season and played well, but all his performances since then have been poor (e.g. United, Swindon) and from what Mourinho has said he hasn't impressed in training either. He hasn't complained to the media about it; when asked loaded questions by the press he just replies he would like to be playing, and what else can he really say? He was dropped before the issue of playing time arose anyway.

We drew against Man Utd at Old Trafford in that game. Was Hazard any better than KDB? Was Oscar? No - it was a 0-0 where all our attacking players failed to make any kind of impact. He played a Capital One cup match against a Swindon side that we won. Were any of our other attacking players any good there? Nope. KDB became a scapegoat, and it was an excuse to drop someone to the last in the line of our 6 attacking midfielders. He hasn't had a whiff since then.

This isn't particularly directed at you but why is it seemingly so incomprehensible that a player should be dropped because he's not playing well as opposed to some ulterior motive from Mourinho? Exact same situation with Mata and it's just ****ing annoying; we have 6 quality options for a maximum 3 positions, all of whom are good enough to be starting. Why would we drop an inform player to make room for someone who hasn't been playing well? Especially seeing as our start to the season hasn't been the most consistent. /rant

Because he has favourites in the team, without any real valid reason. It's not based on form. Hazard was horrific from the period between August-October. He came back for pre-season overweight, lacking pace, and unable to beat his man. But he was played relentlessly, week in, week out despite his lackluster performances. From November onwards, he's started to pick it up again.

Oscar has been poor over the last 6-8 weeks. Guy can't beat his man. He's just a solid midfielder imo with a good sense of timing when it comes to getting into the box, but he doesn't create the chances you'd expect from a number 10.

Lampard and Willian have been ineffectual, but they still see far more game time than they really should. The problem is that Mourinho absolutely refuses to drop them. I guess the effect is that those players will trust him, and remain loyal to him, and respond better to his instructions. But it alienates the rest of the team, and it means we lose some of our other prospects who should be given the chance to claim their stake in the team.

Lukaku can't expect to be the number 1 choice striker for a club like Chelsea at his age. Even if we did bring in another top striker he'll almost certainly be 2nd choice with the knowledge he'll be no. 1 in a couple of years, and if Lukaku doesn't like it he can leave. Obviously it would be a massive shame but no one should/will be allowed to hold the club or Mourinho to ransom, least of all a 20 year old.

And what is this talk of "another" top class striker, we don't even have one in the first place :tongue:

Number 2 with a lot of game time isn't a bad idea. But he needs to be thrown into big matches, and he needs the time to develop. It's not that he's holding the club to ransom - it's that we're not providing him with the environment he needs to fulfill his potential. We made a mistake in getting Eto'o, and it just made it obvious to the player that he'd be behind 3 other strikers. Anyone with any sense would think about leaving/at least going on loan.

Mourinho's made a few mistakes so far. I'm worried that he's being very stubborn when it comes to the young players, and isn't realising that he needs to rotate more and do away with the idea of favourites.

I'm a Mourinho fan. Just don't like how he's placed Willian/Oscar over KDB, and appears happy to lose him. I know he's talked about how he likes KDB and wants to give him a chance in december... but he hasn't so far, in what should have been v. easy fixtures.

We'll see tomorrow.
Original post by Yawn-er
We drew against Man Utd at Old Trafford in that game. Was Hazard any better than KDB? Was Oscar? No - it was a 0-0 where all our attacking players failed to make any kind of impact. He played a Capital One cup match against a Swindon side that we won. Were any of our other attacking players any good there? Nope. KDB became a scapegoat, and it was an excuse to drop someone to the last in the line of our 6 attacking midfielders. He hasn't had a whiff since then.

Because he has favourites in the team, without any real valid reason. It's not based on form. Hazard was horrific from the period between August-October. He came back for pre-season overweight, lacking pace, and unable to beat his man. But he was played relentlessly, week in, week out despite his lackluster performances. From November onwards, he's started to pick it up again.

Oscar has been poor over the last 6-8 weeks. Guy can't beat his man. He's just a solid midfielder imo with a good sense of timing when it comes to getting into the box, but he doesn't create the chances you'd expect from a number 10.

Lampard and Willian have been ineffectual, but they still see far more game time than they really should. The problem is that Mourinho absolutely refuses to drop them. I guess the effect is that those players will trust him, and remain loyal to him, and respond better to his instructions. But it alienates the rest of the team, and it means we lose some of our other prospects who should be given the chance to claim their stake in the team.

Number 2 with a lot of game time isn't a bad idea. But he needs to be thrown into big matches, and he needs the time to develop. It's not that he's holding the club to ransom - it's that we're not providing him with the environment he needs to fulfill his potential. We made a mistake in getting Eto'o, and it just made it obvious to the player that he'd be behind 3 other strikers. Anyone with any sense would think about leaving/at least going on loan.

Mourinho's made a few mistakes so far. I'm worried that he's being very stubborn when it comes to the young players, and isn't realising that he needs to rotate more and do away with the idea of favourites.

I'm a Mourinho fan. Just don't like how he's placed Willian/Oscar over KDB, and appears happy to lose him. I know he's talked about how he likes KDB and wants to give him a chance in december... but he hasn't so far, in what should have been v. easy fixtures.

We'll see tomorrow.

If no-one played good in that Swindon game, why did Mata play the next 3 games after that? And I also don't get your whole favoritism thing. The "favorites" would be considered the old guard, yet Cole hasn't played for 7 games, Terry is in form, Cech has no equal at Chelsea. Lampard is the only questionable one.

With regards to Oscar and Willian playing, they've actually been really effective. Oscar had a couple quiet games, but still does his job effectively, as does Willian. Just because Willian doesn't score or assist every game, doesn't mean he plays poor. He's Hurst not that type of player, and is effective in other ways. KDB obviously doesn't offer enough in training and combined with his minutes since the Hull game, that isn't why he's getting games. Nothing to do with favoritism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8644
Original post by Yawn-er

The thing is we have absolutely no idea how players are training which probably as much of a factor as match performance, and you can't really declare favouritism without knowing this (what's to say Hazard, despite not performing well in matches, wasn't smashing every training session?). We all know Mourinho values hard work (perhaps too much so) and from comments made earlier in the season it sounds like this was an area KDB was lacking in.

Don't think it's fair to say Oscar has been poor for 6-8 weeks though. He put in one or two lackluster performances but hasn't been consistently poor and was on fire at the start of the season, think you're undervaluing him tbh. Lampard has been on and off this season, and is only seeing as many games as he is because of MVG's injury and because of a lack of options. I don't think Mourinho fancies putting Oscar/KDB in CM yet, and if he were to it would probably be in a 433. It's all very well sitting here and criticising but for all we know he could have tried it out in training only to find it was a disaster. Don't think it's fair to call Willian ineffectual either and considering he's made one appearance in our last 4 games it's not like Mourinho is refusing to drop him...

We'll see tomorrow.We were never going to go into this season with four strikers. We tried to loan Ba, although unfortunately that didn't work out. In hindsight this was a mistake but if we'd got what we wanted in Eto'o this wouldn't be an issue. And who knows, had Lukaku stayed we could all be here discussing how he wasn't ready and we should have loaned him out again.
Reply 8645
Not sure about this De Bruyne being better than Oscar stuff. Better at set pieces, maybe long passing, but less composed in front of goal, less stamina, less all around contribution to the team imo. Bags of potential though, and I doubt we'll sell him in January. It takes two to tango and he'll only leave if we allow him to.
Original post by Nickini
Yeah of course, perhaps I phrased that badly. I mean at 20 Lukaku can't just expect/demand to be first choice for us. That isn't to say he can't earn it through his performances, but if us buying a top striker will drive him away then it's not really the club at fault. Eto'o will be gone at the end of the season, and if we were to buy a striker so would one of Torres/Ba. Lukaku is better than both of them so should have no problem establishing himself as second choice to said top striker, if not challenging for the number 1 spot. Challenging for a spot is something Lukaku will have to do eventually if he wants to be playing at a top club, would he be number 1 choice at City/United/Arsenal/Bayern/Madrid/Barcelona etc. right now?

I'm not sure if Barcelona have ever had a big man up top in recent seasons like Lukaku unless you count Zlatan being close to that. While he wouldn't be number one at all those clubs perhaps, he's better than what we already have and different sides play differently so the comparison isn't always ideal. Barcelona, last I saw, don't even play with traditional centre forwards any more.

I guess we could probably go back to playing two strikers regularly if we found a new Makelele.
Reply 8647
Original post by NDGAARONDI
I'm not sure if Barcelona have ever had a big man up top in recent seasons like Lukaku unless you count Zlatan being close to that. While he wouldn't be number one at all those clubs perhaps, he's better than what we already have and different sides play differently so the comparison isn't always ideal. Barcelona, last I saw, don't even play with traditional centre forwards any more.

I guess we could probably go back to playing two strikers regularly if we found a new Makelele.
Yeah Barcelona was a bad example, but my point was that whilst Lukaku is better than what we have, he still isn't isn't really good enough at the moment to be a top club's, more specifically our, first choice number nine. It may work out that we don't buy a striker, and Lukaku comes back and become first choice, it may not, but Lukaku can't really expect us not to go for a top striker, nor could he really complain if we did, which was what Yawn-er was saying earlier about alienating Lukaku.
Reply 8648
Tbh we need a striker and need to flog off all the other strikers we currently have. Demba Ba doesn't mind being a backup, that's what we got him for and 3 strikers should be the optimum amount of strikers we have.

Lukaku can play 60-30 each game with the new striker we get.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Tbh we need a striker and need to flog off all the other strikers we currently have. Demba Ba doesn't mind being a backup, that's what we got him for and 3 strikers should be the optimum amount of strikers we have.

Lukaku can play 60-30 each game with the new striker we get.

Here's my theory.
United don't qualify for Champions League. Barcelona need a proper striker, so they go after Rooney, who United are forced to sell between 20-25 million as his contract will expire by the next summer.
Suarez is carrying Liverpool heavily, and so he wants to leave after 3.5 years of service so he joins Real Madrid for a fee of around £55 million.
Because Real Madrid have their man, Benzema is no longer first choice and as his Real Madrid contract expires the summer after. He then returns under Mourinho management and is bought by Chelsea for around 20-25 million.

Better yet, we go for Rooney, but at least Benzema's younger and I think he'd work with our team well (although Rooney would too).
Reply 8650
Original post by 9MmBulletz
Here's my theory.
United don't qualify for Champions League. Barcelona need a proper striker, so they go after Rooney, who United are forced to sell between 20-25 million as his contract will expire by the next summer.
Suarez is carrying Liverpool heavily, and so he wants to leave after 3.5 years of service so he joins Real Madrid for a fee of around £55 million.
Because Real Madrid have their man, Benzema is no longer first choice and as his Real Madrid contract expires the summer after. He then returns under Mourinho management and is bought by Chelsea for around 20-25 million.

Better yet, we go for Rooney, but at least Benzema's younger and I think he'd work with our team well (although Rooney would too).

Yeah, I thought of a similar theory.

Mine was that only one of United or Liverpool will qualify for CL, if United don't, that means that we can get our pick of Rooney, we know that mourinho is a fan of him and he's in his last year.

If liverpool don't qualify for CL like you say he's madrid bound, which then means that we can get benzema as Suarez will most likely start with morata/ronaldo/jese as their backup in the striker position.
I wouldn't say signing Benzema would be a priority, Rooney has been carrying United through this season and if we can pick him up after United fail to get top 4, Chelsea will be unstoppable.
But srsly, poundland?
Reply 8655
Juve out of the CL. Didn't see that coming. Wish we were the ones to do that though. Takes out a good team from the competition so obviously increases our chances of winning it. Credit to mancini though, seeing as they were whipped twice by real.
Rubentus have been knocked out lmao. This could potentially mean any of the three things:

a) Drogba knocks Arsenal out of the CL
b) Drogba knocks us out of the CL
c) We have a greater chance of getting Pogba know that he's out of the CL
Original post by KingMessi
One can tell it's a slow news day when this constitutes 'news', even for the Daily Mail.

I remember when one of the newspapers was 'outraged' that Michael Ballack only lived in rented accommodation and said buying a house was not worth it. It made decent economic sense at the time but the particular newspaper (I forget who it was) felt Ballack should be obliged to splash the cash because of how much he earned while with us. Not too long afterwards we had the sub-prime mortgage crisis in the USA, and the British economy taking its turn for a nose dive akin to a Kappa curve.

Meanwhile, if you splash the cash too much, you will also get ripped for it. "Oh my goodness, this footballer has bought himself a Ferrari!!1!1" At least I would suggest he could have done better and get the Audi R8 instead or something.
Reply 8658
Original post by The Assassin
Rubentus have been knocked out lmao. This could potentially mean any of the three things:

a) Drogba knocks Arsenal out of the CL
b) Drogba knocks us out of the CL
c) We have a greater chance of getting Pogba know that he's out of the CL

c is unlikely now. He's cup tied in jan and they're much more likely to get in the competition next season than we are.
Most likely a will happen.
No KDB again.. bah

Latest