Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    One can say the same about mikel. If he had a player who was more incisive with his passing and would burst forward with pace(like Gundogan) we'd be better.
    If we had a master of all trades(like gerrard in 05 or toni kroos) then he'd be able to bring the best out of mikel or ramires.

I agree here. I feel that maybe we don't feel like we can win games as easily as possible, I think two and two goes together though. You see the belief in that dortmund side, to the point of almost arrogance, they'll scrape through the next round in the CL, face an even harder opposition and still get past. While I think that dortmund are no stronger than Arsenal a couple years back or the current Arsenal squad, that mentality probably is what has taken them to that new level. Which like you say we lack somewhat.

They face a stronger bayern munich side in personnel and generally they gave them a game to struggle. I think that goes down to their success, but also goes down to their work rate and personnel.
    Mmm. We approach every game like it's going to be a struggle. A poster (I can't remember who right now) said a page or two ago that he didn't enjoy watching our games anymore because of this - and I can empathise with that. Entitlement in a football fan is a dangerous and often irritating trait, but whilst one needs to be aware of the (obviously) competitive nature of every sport, it is equally true that, as a fan of a good side, there is something pleasant about seeing a bottom-six team on the fixture list and thinking 'that should be a straightforward 3-0, hopefully'. Chelsea haven't, as far as I recall, done so once this season. Sure, it's ridiculous to expect nineteen home wins or to expect us to trounce every small team, but...I'm sure you get my point.

And obviously mentality and quality exist in a symbiotic relationship, which makes it impossible to distinguish the need to improve one from the need to improve the other. But, lest we get stuck going around in circles identifying problems, I suppose this is what naturally follows:

What, realistically, do you think we can or should do over the next six weeks to try and rectify the problems we've identified? For example, I don't think that signing Gundogan is realistic in the short-term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Mmm. We approach every game like it's going to be a struggle. A poster (I can't remember who right now) said a page or two ago that he didn't enjoy watching our games anymore because of this - and I can empathise with that. Entitlement in a football fan is a dangerous and often irritating trait, but whilst one needs to be aware of the (obviously) competitive nature of every sport, it is equally true that, as a fan of a good side, there is something pleasant about seeing a bottom-six team on the fixture list and thinking 'that should be a straightforward 3-0, hopefully'. Chelsea haven't, as far as I recall, done so once this season. Sure, it's ridiculous to expect nineteen home wins or to expect us to trounce every small team, but...I'm sure you get my point.

And obviously mentality and quality exist in a symbiotic relationship, which makes it impossible to distinguish the need to improve one from the need to improve the other. But, lest we get stuck going around in circles identifying problems, I suppose this is what naturally follows:

What, realistically, do you think we can or should do over the next six weeks to try and rectify the problems we've identified? For example, I don't think that signing Gundogan is realistic in the short-term.
    Yeah, I get your point haha.

Like you said that the thing about the mentality, there's only so much a good work ethic will take you, like the kid who revises all day and gets a 2:1 while the other guy lazes around all day and gets the same mark because he's innately clever.

I think we can get a midfielder in, whether it be a guy like Guarin or Cabaye with potential to be world class or even a world class signing. I think that we'll definitely get the midfield player in however. The second Mourinho bids for an actual player and it goes public, he'll do his utmost to get a player of that calibre, hence why he went for eto'o when we didn't get rooney.

I would also like to see another striker come in, but that's wishful thinking and due to the inflation in the january transfer window and likely striker signings being cup tied for the CL I don't think there any point in doing so. Overall though, Guarin or Cabaye to come in early on in the window will satisfy me for this window. It's a problem that needs to be immediately rectified if we want to keep up the title challenge.

ReputationRep:
    Lol a Bender/Gundogan combo would be incredible, but its a bit of a pipe dream. I think Ramires is great in his own way, for certain matches, but its a sad state of affairs when he's a nailed on starter for nearly every game because some of the technical aspects of his game are very subpar or at least incredibly inconsistent.

Its a pity we loaned out Romeu & that Van Ginkel got injured. This would be the perfect circumstances for one of them to nail on a spot in the side.

ReputationRep:
    I've wanted Cabaye too. Although Newcastle will not want to sell, I can see him wanting to go to a bigger club now that he's in the peak of his career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    I've wanted Cabaye too. Although Newcastle will not want to sell, I can see him wanting to go to a bigger club now that he's in the peak of his career.
    Newcastle will sell, if we put the money in.

Plus Cabaye said that he misses the CL
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...ampions-league
    Just a month ago. Plus he was going to move to arsenal, so it's not like we can't get him if we wanted to. I think that Mike Ashley likes to milk money out of the buying club so he can invest in replacements in the squad, essentially Daniel Levy mkII

ReputationRep:
    I don''t think our squad depth last year was that bad. We had Moses and Marin to come on. It's a shame that Marin got injured (and lost form) and Moses was used well by Benitez i thought.

We had like 75 games to play last year, so we dropped quite a few points because of our intensive fixture list. Remember, we lost 1-0 to QPR at home (stupid result) and shouldn've beaten them away when we had a clear penalty turned down. Then there were the Liverpol fixtures which we should've won at least one of. The 1-1 draw at the Bridge should have been a victory but we were so wasteful after going 1-0 up. Torres, Oscar, Mata all had chances to finish them off. Even the Anfield game we should've seen out, but we conceded with like 30 seconds to go. To be fair at Anfield, Liverpool probably would've felt hard done by if they lost that. When we drew with Tottenham 2-2 we had the same problem in terms of not putting the game to bed. Tottenham weren't really in it until they scored and even when we made it 2-1, we had chances to send them packing. So I think this problem of not being able to kill teams off comes from last year too.

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for this match, let's have it already. DISTURBINNGGG LANDDANNN.

ReputationRep:
    Cole back on the bench so Azpi on the left again. Ffs.

(Original post by Mr_Vain)
    Can't wait for this match, let's have it already. DISTURBINNGGG LANDDANNN.
    looking forward to it. Hope the atmosphere's good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Cole back on the bench so Azpi on the left again. Ffs.

looking forward to it. Hope the atmosphere's good!
    Atmosphere at the Emirates extremely volatile this season. Spurs probs the best league match for it ive seen ever since we moved and Napoli for example was buzzing but other times actually been worse than normal. The CC game vs Chelsea were we gave you 9k was probably a new low for the Emirates atmosphere. ****ing hell that was bad.

It's a huge game and late at night before Christmas so the fans should be nicely bevied up in the pubs beforehand for it though

ReputationRep:
    Ivanovic, Cahill,Terry and Azpi all starting. It's a shame coz I was looking forward to Ashley putting in a top performance against his old club, oh well. Speaking of which apparently Ashley Cole, Bertrand and Schurrle were all at the Arsenal Christmas party

Mourinho on Ashley Cole's role vs Arsenal: "On the bench or at home." #CFC

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skkc16)
    Ivanovic, Cahill,Terry and Azpi all starting. It's a shame coz I was looking forward to Ashley putting in a top performance against his old club, oh well. Speaking of which apparently Ashley Cole, Bertrand and Schurrle were all at the Arsenal Christmas party

Mourinho on Ashley Cole's role vs Arsenal: "On the bench or at home." #CFC

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Apparently he was out drinking with Schurrle and Bertrand with some of the Arsenal players at some party. Mourinho wasn't a happy bunny mind and hence he's not in the team

ReputationRep:
    Would have liked to see David Luiz and Demba Ba playing. Caused Sunderland loads of problems. Stick Ba onto Vermaelen (Koscielny is out) and Vernaelen will have trouble with aerial balls seeing as Ba has the height and strength advantage

ReputationRep:
    Eh, they aren't allowed to go to other teams parties now?

(Original post by Zürich)
    Atmosphere at the Emirates extremely volatile this season. Spurs probs the best league match for it ive seen ever since we moved and Napoli for example was buzzing but other times actually been worse than normal. The CC game vs Chelsea were we gave you 9k was probably a new low for the Emirates atmosphere. ****ing hell that was bad.

It's a huge game and late at night before Christmas so the fans should be nicely bevied up in the pubs beforehand for it though
    Yeah that's weird! With regards to the game a few weeks ago, perhaps it was the CC game which not everyone would care about so it wasn't as good.

But like you said, because it's a huge game, london derby and in the league it should be better this time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Eh, they aren't allowed to go to other teams parties now?

Yeah that's weird! With regards to the game a few weeks ago, perhaps it was the CC game which not everyone would care about so it wasn't as good.

But like you said, because it's a huge game, london derby and in the league it should be better this time
    Worse cos 2 of my Chelsea mates were in the away end and I'd been raving to them about how much better the atmosphere was this season at the Emirates. Only for them to be greeted by one of the worst ever atmospheres at AFC.

CC is always a heap of *******s, no one gives a ****.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still surprised that you guys don't rate Ramires! Without him you look very one dimensional, the defence lose that extra man to help then, the midfield suffers because there is no one to carry the ball forward or make those surging runs into space and then attack pass the ball around without having the support of your midfield in the final third

Why do you not think he has not got the ability to pass or shoot well?

Never mind all the assists and goals he's gives. Your most important player

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogwithwings)
    I'm still surprised that you guys don't rate Ramires! Without him you look very one dimensional, the defence lose that extra man to help then, the midfield suffers because there is no one to carry the ball forward or make those surging runs into space and then attack pass the ball around without having the support of your midfield in the final third

Why do you not think he has not got the ability to pass or shoot well?
    Ramires is my favorite player. Was Mata for 2 seasons but his gone off the boil with very few starts.

**** it tho. Jose Mourinho said he can transform the team to suit them winning 1-0 every game and apparently it will be 'easy' for him to do so.
    Do it then! The team isn't playing the lovely and flamboyant football it was last season anyway and nearly every goal is a grind. I wouldn't mind winning 13 1-0 games in a season like his first season at the club if it means we win the league.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    Would have liked to see David Luiz and Demba Ba playing. Caused Sunderland loads of problems. Stick Ba onto Vermaelen (Koscielny is out) and Vernaelen will have trouble with aerial balls seeing as Ba has the height and strength advantage
    Ba doesn't score normal goals. Torres would be better because Arsenal won't know how to play against him and might not give him the respect he deserves this season. Torres will score if he starts with the way he's been running past defenders and dribbling.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing hell some people are smoking kush on this thread.

Ramires an assister. 7 assists and 8 assists in his past two seasons and 17 assists in 174 appearances for Chelsea, just **** off already saying he's an assister.

27 goals in 174 appearances, compare that to Mata who has 33 goals and 58 assists in 133 appearances. Or lampard who plays in a similar role to ramires with 56 goals in the same period that Ramires has been in less appearances than Ramires. Yeah course.

I'm not even going to reply to that other ridiculous comment.

He pops up with important goals, but he would not make barca, dortmunds, bayerns or real madrids bench. So why is he a starter for us?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25380991

Short video looking at Mourinho's tactics this season; pretty interesting watch.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty interesting, I don't know any other manager who does as many radical tactical changes in a match that come off as well and as often as Mourinho. If I'm not mistaken, we also went to 3atb against Everton although that didn't work out so well.

Mourinho has been using that 3atb when we're losing/need a winner tactic since his final season at Madrid as Pat Nevin said. He did it against dortmund as well at the bernabeu and used Di Maria as a Left wingback. I think Mourinho decided to try 4-2-4 now to spring a surprise tbh. While it worked out just as well and the technique to press the CB's to stop them from playing worked a treat, I'm sure he could have just gone 3-5-2 and the same effect would have been seen.

If Mourinho were to use the same radical substitution, teams would get onto it and will make a gameplan against 3atb/4-2-4/4-3-3. Which makes me wonder, I think that Mourinho works on tactical substitutions a lot in training and he probably introduces the new tactic every few games. I wouldn't be surprised if he did so as our players seemed suited to the formation or at least adapted rather well to the formation considering the circumstances.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.