Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Schurrle would be a good signing. He can provide depth on the wing and up front.

ReputationRep:
    He's not needed.

ReputationRep:
    Thought some might find this interesting. Look who has the best goal per minute ratio in the EPL...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	article-2309835-1952CAC5000005DC-779_634x1131.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	209449

ReputationRep:
    The Metro reckons £20million for Schurrle and KDB isn't involved.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/16/chelse...nsfer-3618173/

(Original post by Tweek)
    He's not needed.
    Whilst not an essential purchase, I disagree. Benayoun's contract is up in the summer, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Marin leave either as he really hasn't impressed (although it would seem a lot of Germans didn't think he was up to much anyway). We've really struggled this season due to lack of squad depth, and if we're honest Benayoun and Marin don't provide the quality of depth we're after. Between Hazard, Oscar, Mata, Moses, Schurrle, Piazon and possibly De Bruyne (although I think we'd be better off using him in CM) we'd have a lot of options going forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    He's not needed.
    I'd say he is. Maybe we can take a chance on marin but our squad depth bar the trio is moses and that's it. With benayoun leaving too that can really leave us in a pickle. So we'd be left with moses and marin next season which is pretty **** for squad depth. Considering bayern have robben, gomez, shaqiri as backups and madrid have kaka and modric, barca have tello, pedro, villa and fabregas as backups we're light years away from them there. It's why they can sustain title challenges and go for the cups too. Also you've seen my criticisms of dortmund, there's a reason they're having a poor season in the bundesliga but a great season in the champions league. Because grobkeutz and scheiber don't compare to their first team counterparts in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.welt.de/sport/fussball/bu...esvertrag.html <- A german source has also said that.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of Bremen fans have said KDB is better as a winger, and he himself said he'd prefer to play CAM. I just think KDB will be better than him, and he's not needed upfront as a second striker unless we're shipping Torres off, and if that's the case I'd rather we got someone more prolific. He's hardly a goal machine in the BuLi this season, and he's playing for one of the best teams there.

KDB>Schurrle.

Not to mention Piazon who can play winger/second striker. Are we getting rid of him? Not needed in my opinion. Other areas need strengthening.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.chelseafc.com/academy-art...rticle/1333478

I hope this guy gets good because his name is just priceless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    A lot of Bremen fans have said KDB is better as a winger, and he himself said he'd prefer to play CAM. I just think KDB will be better than him, and he's not needed upfront as a second striker unless we're shipping Torres off, and if that's the case I'd rather we got someone more prolific. He's hardly a goal machine in the BuLi this season, and he's playing for one of the best teams there.

KDB>Schurrle.

Not to mention Piazon who can play winger/second striker. Are we getting rid of him? Not needed in my opinion. Other areas need strengthening.
    It appears we haven't exchanged KDB as part of the deal, otherwise I would be inclined to agree with you. KDB has been in CM for most of this season and I reckon that's where we'll play him too, at this rate probably as a replacement for Lampard, so it's not really an either/or situation. Schurrle's only 22 and his tally for the season is 11 goals, so it's clear he's not useless and will almost certainly improve. If we want to be challenging for the title and CL we need quality squad depth, something Schurrle can help provide. Other areas do indeed need strengthening as a higher priority, but signing Schurrle doesn't mean we're not going to do it, it just means we concluded/leaked this deal before others.

Piazon seems decent enough, but I'm not entirely convinced he'll be good enough for us next season, could imagine him being similar to Marin this season tbh. I don't think loaning him out again next season, ideally to a PL club, would be a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    terry's been ****. But should we look at it in context.

Whenever he starts, he's playing in a substandard team in the europa league, having the likes of benayoun, marin in front of him, which means he's naturally under more pressure than he would normally be under, hence way more liable to defensive mistakes. Fair enough, it's best to judge him if he's playing a game with a full strength squad and not a half arsed rotation squad where the players don't know each other much or just aren't chelsea quality.

It wasn't just because of the midfield with the back 4. While ramires and mikel clearly didn't help their cause I'd blame the first goal on luiz as much as ramires who should have got back quicker to stop aguero from getting into such a clear position as there was a gaping hole, ivan had tevez so luiz didn't need to go there when he could have just got to aguero. The people who let toure run 50 yards, oscar and mata at fault here. But the key pass was to aguero who had so much space in the penalty area which was luiz's fault. At least if he was going for aguero he should have told him.

If you watch the first goal you can see that luiz didn't even have aguero in his vision. With the second goal that's clearly ivanovic's fault for losing his man and while mata and oscar should have tried harder to close barry down ivanovic shouldn't have let aguero beat him so easily with a change of pace.

What's wrong with cahill? Like give me an attribute that he clearly lacks? He can get goals at the other end, while he's not a leader either he slots in well with terry who is a leader, has got pace to cover, more disciplined than luiz and can make vital interceptions. I don't think he's as good defensively as ivanovic in terms of being an impenetrable rock but he can start for us and I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it.

DLP or a BBM would be great. Nemanja matic, the guy we sold for the david luiz deal would be a perfect match for this position. Seems to have that wilshere/dembele balance, can pass from deep and clearly has a mean shot on him. He plays for benfica as well so it's not like he's playing for a pony team. He was the man who replaced javi garcia and he's way better than him.

What do you think? I clearly feel he has something our midfielders lack. The only person who tries this is ramires and he just runs as fast as possible hoping that he gets a pass in but most times these 40 yard runs end up in a crap cross/pass or him getting muscled off the ball. The thing is ramires is a smart player who sees the pass but he just doesn't have the ability to execute it. I think mikel should be doing the DLP stuff as well. All he is is an anchorman when really he should be doing way more than that, while a clearly important role makalele did twice the amount mikel did and was better at making key passes too.

There is always jack wilshere too though :lol:. 20 million pound bid maybe tell them that he's injury prone and his value has gone down from last season then tell them how he wants to go back to fulham. In all seriousness since he's off limits joao moutinho is another possibility.
    I never said Cahill was a bad defender. I just think Terry and Luiz should be starting.
    Hardly seen matic play but from the clip he looks good but do not really judge players from youtube. Think Moutinho would be a quality signing actually and would fit in easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd actually love Moutinho to be signed. I really enjoy watching him on the pitch -- one of my favourites tbh. Fast, good playmaker and can dictate play with great short passes in midfield. He's also has the ability to press opposing midfielders whilst talking/intercepting efficiently in doing so. I think I remember Tottenham wanting to sign him though? People like Cabaye wouldn't be too bad either... someone not on TSR also suggested Benega from Valencia, which is interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiesonn)
    I never said Cahill was a bad defender. I just think Terry and Luiz should be starting.
    Hardly seen matic play but from the clip he looks good but do not really judge players from youtube. Think Moutinho would be a quality signing actually and would fit in easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True fair enough, I watched him vs newcastle too and matic was quality in both of the games controlled the midfield nicely. Him, fernandinho and moutinho from watching them can clear a void we're clearly missing. Moutinho is more of a DLP than Matic who runs forward more and has such a good balance. He's like a serbian wilshere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    I'd actually love Moutinho to be signed. I really enjoy watching him on the pitch -- one of my favourites tbh. Fast, good playmaker and can dictate play with great short passes in midfield. He's also has the ability to press opposing midfielders whilst talking/intercepting efficiently in doing so. I think I remember Tottenham wanting to sign him though?
    Yeah they tryed to sign him on deadline day. Would have been a quality signing for them tbh. Think they still may be desperate to sign him especially if they make champions league

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    I'd actually love Moutinho to be signed. I really enjoy watching him on the pitch -- one of my favourites tbh. Fast, good playmaker and can dictate play with great short passes in midfield. He's also has the ability to press opposing midfielders whilst talking/intercepting efficiently in doing so. I think I remember Tottenham wanting to sign him though?
    Yeah he'd be good but I see tottenham getting him personally with AVB there. However I think matic would be just as good a signing for us to fill the void. He's been very good for benfica who stand unbeaten in the portuguese league and first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yeah he'd be good but I see tottenham getting him personally with AVB there. However I think matic would be just as good a signing for us to fill the void. He's been very good for benfica who stand unbeaten in the portuguese league and first.
    Is Matic a likely target though, considering we've already sold him? I read somewhere that Benfica put a 45mil euro release clause on his contract

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people have been suggesting Pogba too, but I really doubt we'll be able to get him.

EDIT: 45m release clause for Matic? Damn...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    It appears we haven't exchanged KDB as part of the deal, otherwise I would be inclined to agree with you. KDB has been in CM for most of this season and I reckon that's where we'll play him too, at this rate probably as a replacement for Lampard, so it's not really an either/or situation. Schurrle's only 22 and his tally for the season is 11 goals, so it's clear he's not useless and will almost certainly improve. If we want to be challenging for the title and CL we need quality squad depth, something Schurrle can help provide. Other areas do indeed need strengthening as a higher priority, but signing Schurrle doesn't mean we're not going to do it, it just means we concluded/leaked this deal before others.

Piazon seems decent enough, but I'm not entirely convinced he'll be good enough for us next season, could imagine him being similar to Marin this season tbh. I don't think loaning him out again next season, ideally to a PL club, would be a bad thing.
    KDB has played most of his games at the flanks of a 4-3-2-1, either at AML or AMR, occassionaly Bremen play a 4-1-4-1 were he will play at centre right of the 4.

But unless we're reverting back to a 4-3-3 and he's playing on the right centre mid he's not slotting into Franks role in our current formation.
    If that was to happen if anything it will be more likely Piazon drops back, KDB doesn't play that deep, and it'd be a waste of his crossing ability which is one of his strong point, and one of our weak points. KDB and Azpi launching crosses in from either side for Lukaku would be deadly.

I wasn't talking about now for Piazon, I meant in a season or two. I think he should be rotating into the squad for the 14/15 season, he's already getting a lot of game time at Malaga.

I just don't see where Schurrle fits in. Hazard/Mata/Oscar/Moses/Piazon/KDB for 3 positions? That's assuming Marin will be sold which I think he will, shame he didn't get a chance.

Schurrle can play secondary striker, but so can Piazon, and we have Lukaku. I doubt both Torres and Ba will be sold as well.

For the 2 holding positions we have Romeu/Mikel/Essien/Ramires. McEachran too if he's deemed good enough and Chalobah has been outstanding this season, expect him to be rotating into the squad in 1/2 more seasons maybe. Just don't see the logic.

EDIT: Oh and Luiz can AND SHOULD be played at DM. I'd like for Luiz to be made captain if he's moved permanently to the DM. If that's the case Kalas can be used in defence. He's been great this season, as has PVA even though it's been in the dutch league I still think they have the quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Is Matic a likely target though, considering we've already sold him? I read somewhere that Benfica put a 45mil euro release clause on his contract
    True he wouldn't be a likely target. Haven't heard any reports on matic to chelsea. However I haven't heard much of moutinho either our only bargaining chip for him was AVB but now it's just about us having more money, if they make CL they have revenue, if they don't then they have bale leaving which frees funds for moutinho's sale. I don't think we're in for anyone. But the fact that we were willing to sell de bruyne to leverkusen means that we must be in for a CM this season as it's clearly a very fixable problem we're making harder for ourselves :sigh:

But hopefully we buy that CM man, before united do as they have a similar problem.

ReputationRep:
    De Bruyne is no CM, best as a winger imo but he could play CAM. No chance of him playing in deep midfield imo.

ReputationRep:
    On another note is it possible we had some sort of buy back clause on Matic? Or % of next sale/first refusal ETC

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.