Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Mata to United makes no sense whatsoever bar appeasement of the fans there.

He plays best in the Hole, they have Rooney and kagawa there.

He's not been too great this season playing on the wing, that's the only position they'll have space for him.

He'll encounter the exact same problem there as he has here, if he plays every game with Rooney and he plays on the wing, he'll be in poor form. Going to United makes no sense. PSG is an option, but will they change their 4-3-3 system to accommodate mata, I don't think so yet. Lavezzi and Lucas fit the system more than Mata, so he'll also be on the bench. Cavani and Ibra are beasting it this season, so he's not taking their spots in a million years.

Dortmund don't have the money, Bayern he'll be on the bench, Barca he'll be on the bench(nor would he go there) Madrid sold Ozil, why would they buy Mata, Arsenal don't need him, Liverpool won't get him unless they make CL this summer Spurs won't get him. I'm pretty confident about the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    We won't sell Mata and KDB in the same window, and KDB is almost nailed on to be leaving.

Tbf this is being blown out of proportion, players fall out of favour all the time, and this season Oscar>Mata. It's just because it's Mourinho that the media have such a field day over it.
    This.

I was saying my comments on squad depth in a more sarcastic manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Ah, no worries. My apologies.

Are there any genuinely reputable sources regarding a prospective sale for Mata? Currently it just seems like a combination of hearsay and fans filling in the gaps like it's FM. 'United need a midfielder, ergo they'll be signing Mata'; 'PSG have money; ergo they'll be signing Mata'. That sort of thing.
    PSG *apparently* put in a £40m bid on deadline day; but as you say no real sources reported on it and given how small of a deal was made about it I am skeptical.

It's like this recent article, Mourinho says "My door is always open, but I don't want to sell him" which apparently translates to "Mata is free to leave"...

ReputationRep:
    We won't sell Mata and KDB in the same window, and KDB is almost nailed on to be leaving.

Tbf this is being blown out of proportion, players fall out of favour all the time, and this season Oscar>Mata. It's just because it's Mourinho that the media have such a field day over it.
    I don't think its so far fetched to see Mata leave in January, considering KDB could simply be loaned out. After reading Mourinho's interview after the game: ‘I don’t want him to go, that is my opinion and that is my wish - but my door is open.", he obviously doesn't want him to leave but could possibly be out of his own hands since Mata could easily hand in a transfer request. Its a World Cup year as well.

ReputationRep:
    WC year is an odd excuse tbh. He barely got any minutes last season and whenever he's played he hasn't looked great. Maybe for making the squad in the first place but I don't think his play time would be significantly affected.

ReputationRep:
    I read Inter were considering offering £12.5m for him, which is absolutely hilarious. Would want at least triple that if we were to sell him tbf.
    12.5 is a joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    WC year is an odd excuse tbh. He barely got any minutes last season and whenever he's played he hasn't looked great. Maybe for making the squad in the first place but I don't think his play time would be significantly affected.
    He got 10 apps last year for Spain. He'll be lucky to even get 1 in 2014 if he sticks around Mourinho IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I know but weren't a lot of them as a sub anyways?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_tom)
    I don't think its so far fetched to see Mata leave in January, considering KDB could simply be loaned out. After reading Mourinho's interview after the game: ‘I don’t want him to go, that is my opinion and that is my wish - but my door is open.", he obviously doesn't want him to leave but could possibly be out of his own hands since Mata could easily hand in a transfer request. Its a World Cup year as well.

Thing is if both KDB and Mata go (regardless if its a loan/transfer) we'd be left with 3 players for 4 positions. We'd go from having arguably one of the best depths in the AM positions in the world bar Bayern to being two injuries away from disaster and having virtually no depth whatsoever. Could recall Moses but he's been pretty terrible for Liverpool, doubt he really has a future here.

Mata is still under contract until 2016 so the club would have the final say, and Mata has been getting games (unlike KDB), albeit not the big ones, and he hasn't performed. Right now our best trio is Hazard/Oscar/Willian without a shadow of a doubt.

(Original post by Galileo Galilei)
    12.5 is a joke
    I know, borderline offensive.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is if both KDB and Mata go (regardless if its a loan/transfer) we'd be left with 3 players for 4 positions. We'd go from having arguably one of the best depths in the AM positions in the world bar Bayern to being two injuries away from disaster and having virtually no depth whatsoever. Could recall Moses but he's been pretty terrible for Liverpool, doubt he really has a future here.

Mata is still under contract until 2016 so the club would have the final say, and Mata has been getting games (unlike KDB), albeit not the big ones, and he hasn't performed. Right now our best trio is Hazard/Oscar/Willian without a shadow of a doubt.

I know, borderline offensive.
    But you're assuming you won't buy in January. I'm sure Mourinho has something up his sleeve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_tom)
    But you're assuming you won't buy in January. I'm sure Mourinho has something up his sleeve
    Who could we realistically get that would be an improvement on Mata though? And I would be very surprised if we sold two AMs only to buy another one. Perhaps if we bought a striker/CM who can play competently as a number 10, but I still don't think it's likely.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the Swansea/Citeh game, City weren't really impressive. Swansea was poor defensively all round which allowed the former to win; in fact Swansea could have even won themselves. Not sure if they'll be able to keep this up -- if they are to win the title then they need to perform better tbh but maybe not.

The transfer window is sort of make or break for us and the gooners. We won't win the league with our strikeforce nor will Arsenal -- I'm not sure if we'll win the league with our midfield either.

Also, wonder what we'll have to do with Thorgan Hazard and Piazon. I think at this point the best would be for Piazon --> Everton, and Thorgan --> Vitesse. I think Everton would suit the former more the way the play. Hopefully he will be able to develop as a CF of some sort though rather than just a winger.

Another thing: Chalobah's loan expires soon; I don't really see the harm in giving some game time here tbh. If Essien is off and Mikel keeps up his frustrating performances it may not be such a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Looking at the Swansea/Citeh game, City weren't really impressive. Swansea was poor defensively all round which allowed the former to win; in fact Swansea could have even won themselves. Not sure if they'll be able to keep this up -- if they are to win the title then they need to perform better tbh but maybe not.

The transfer window is sort of make or break for us and the gooners. We won't win the league with our strikeforce nor will Arsenal -- I'm not sure if we'll win the league with our midfield either.

Also, wonder what we'll have to do with Thorgan Hazard and Piazon. I think at this point the best would be for Piazon --> Everton, and Thorgan --> Vitesse. I think Everton would suit the former more the way the play. Hopefully he will be able to develop as a CF of some sort though rather than just a winger.

Another thing: Chalobah's loan expires soon; I don't really see the harm in giving some game time here tbh. If Essien is off and Mikel keeps up his frustrating performances it may not be such a bad idea.
    Well, we'll have to wait until the end of the window. I would like Chalobah to go to a prem club first, he's had a mixed spell at Nottingham forest, so I don't see the point of putting him into our team when he hasn't shown he's good enough this season.

I wonder what Mourinho's plan for the future is, he's said what he wants to do. But it's almost the antithesis of his philosophy what he's talking about, possession football, using the youngsters. Only at inter has he shown that he'll use the youngsters. But he's got most things this season spot on. Results are more important than the performance anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about that. I thought in general he's been fine. He did amazing with Watford last year and looked kind of demotivated to go to Forest at the start too.

Barkley didn't look great for Leeds either but he's been doing pretty well with Everton this season.

Even if there performances aren't great Chalobah would get the best experience if he was playing with the first team. I wouldn't mind taking risks to do that tbh and using them like United/Arsenal often did.

Someone said something similar but if Guarin came in here for example, he would be rotated a bit and would get more playing time than Chalobah would, yes, because he's better and more experienced. However, I would rather Chalobah got 25% of the game time that the former would get so he can develop at the highest level. If we then bring in a player in the summer (when there will be far more options) then Chalobah is still easily young enough to go out on loan again (if need be because he shows he isn't ready).

Nothing against Guarin but it is tedious sending so many players out on loan instead of being braver and playing them a little more regularly. Would Guarin really be a long-term fix too? No one who's really world class that we would be able to get this window anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Good points tbh. If Chalobah comes in and is a revelation, we've now got a player for the future who can play for a good 10-15 years for us. Would be very sentimental to see a home grown player like him. But I guess Chelsea's philosophy is against continuity, I like how Mourinho said he's staying for a long time though.

Statements like that to the media shows intent and the way he said he wants to get english players into the team. It sounds like he'll just go and get Barkley and Shaw tbh, I'm pretty cynical when it comes to Mourinho's statements, but if he walks his talk. I will be very impressed.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly wish you lot gave youth a chance in your own team, rather than letting other managers develop them? How else are you going to make the next Terry/Lampard character at this club without giving youth a chance. You have a very good academy, and its seriously worrying that your Ramsey/Wilshere/Barkley equivalents are kicking the ball in Holland or the Championship rather than getting PL experience.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, true, and with Terry/Lampard we were seeing their quality playing in week in week out prior to Abramovich (know Lamps isn't a youth product but he wasn't anything too special when he joined us). Don't think we would've seen them become the players they were had they not been playing regularly.

Of course, for every Terry there's also a Carlton Cole in terms of the quality but we will never find out if they truly become good unless we play them in the first team.

^^Hopefully not. Maybe one of them if we really need to but I don't want to buy both of them! Let's see what Mourinho does. Agree on everything.

ReputationRep:
    Juan Mata is leaving this window judging from his reaction after being subbed. Another bad game for him and he will leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Juan Mata is leaving this window judging from his reaction after being subbed. Another bad game for him and he will leave.
    While he may feel like he wants to leave, it's down to the club, if a team doesn't pay up, why should we sell him and weaken our squad? For that reason, I don't see him leaving.

ReputationRep:
    mourinho's a prick man.

he ruined Kaka, and now he's trying to do it to Mata too.

what is with him and players with four letters in their names, with a vowel being the second and fourth letter. I wonder Jose.

narcissistic prick man. no one care about your four letter name, with a vowel being the second and fourth letter Jose.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.