Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    How many managers have shown themselves to be out of their depth in the Premiership after promotion? Roy Keane looked like Fergie 2.0 playing against Doncaster until he Sunderland promoted.

Yes but telling your team to play deep, and relying on world class defenders like Terry and Cole to defend for their lifes is not a tactical masterstroke. If he had Pascal Cygan and Wayne Bridge and they played the games of their life then you'd have a point. But do you really think John Terry was even listening when RDM was passing on his words of wisdom?
    We only played deep in the Champions League Semi-Final + Final. I don't recall playing deep in any of the other games whilst he was around.
    Tell me playing Ryan Bertrand was not a tactical masterstroke? I myself, before the final had started was absolutely shocked. However, it became very understandable as the game went on because Cole/Bertrand doubled up when needed to neutralize the threat.
    The spirit, desire and love he had for the club was different from the other typical managers. Too bad you're *****ing about RDM because Chelsea are the first London club to have won the CL. All of your arguments stating why RDM was not good are solely on the basis that we defended for 180 minutes against Barcelona and nothing else.
    Too bad our Chelsea players have desire to succeed unlike most of Arsenal F.C who only like their pay-checks; an exception being Jack Wilshere.

ReputationRep:
    How many managers have shown themselves to be out of their depth in the Premiership after promotion? Roy Keane looked like Fergie 2.0 playing against Doncaster until he Sunderland promoted.

Yes but telling your team to play deep, and relying on world class defenders like Terry and Cole to defend for their lifes is not a tactical masterstroke. If he had Pascal Cygan and Wayne Bridge and they played the games of their life then you'd have a point. But do you really think John Terry was even listening when RDM was passing on his words of wisdom?
    This was all discussed last year!

We had Bosingwa playing as a centre-back and Ramires as a right back for most of the match against Barca in the second leg. Hardly a world class back line there!

I agree with what was said before that it was his man management that brought us the trophy. We would never have progressed past Napoli if AVB was still there, because after that first leg we were down in the gutter.

ReputationRep:
    alright guys... let's calm down a little. Leave it yeah

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, he got the man management right after AVB's shambolic era, but that's still not enough for me.

More relevant, Chelsea were excellent 2nd half and you have an excellent chance at winning it in Amsterdam. Luiz was different class.
    Fair enough. Agree to disagree. He needed time I feel at least if he got a season we both would have a more objective opinion but hey... Benitez was a tenerife reject before the valencia job while we're at it if we really wanted to compare the two careers.

Make no mistake. I knew we'd get to the final but benfica are a different kettle of fish to these joke teams we've been playing. I knew we'd beat basel comfortably(heck I said it in this thread that they were there for the taking) it should have been at least another 3 goals from us over the two legs.

I reckon it'll go down to one goal like a 2-1. They've been fantastic and it should be a cracking match. Think torres should be rested from now on as despite his woes he works hard. Need a player to stick to matic as well as he's the guy who makes them tick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Fair enough. Agree to disagree. He needed time I feel at least if he got a season we both would have a more objective opinion but hey... Benitez was a tenerife reject before the valencia job while we're at it if we really wanted to compare the two careers.

Make no mistake. I knew we'd get to the final but benfica are a different kettle of fish to these joke teams we've been playing. I knew we'd beat basel comfortably(heck I said it in this thread that they were there for the taking) it should have been at least another 3 goals from us over the two legs.

I reckon it'll go down to one goal like a 2-1. They've been fantastic and it should be a cracking match. Think torres should be rested from now on as despite his woes he works hard. Need a player to stick to matic as well as he's the guy who makes them tick.
    One solution - Make Luiz play CDM in all games now and Terry to start more often. We would maintain longer winning streaks then.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm feeling pretty nervy. I was hoping fernebache won in fact. I reckon we have quality but with the games coming up, top 4 still in the balance I'm not too sure if we can do it. Although don't they have you to play around the time of the final and you're still in contention for the league.

Hopefully matic shines and we could buy him back
    Yeah, you've got a few important games coming up. They will play us on the 11th or 12th, a date and time is yet to decided. The league is pretty much theirs now. 4 points ahead with 3 games left. Monday night was the "real" game that could have made Benfica drop points - but that wasn't the case. In fact, they could win the league against us and i couldn't think of a bigger motivator going to the Europa final after winning the Liga against their dear rivals!

That really wouldn't be surprise me! Probably for pennies too! Although Benfica aren't that bad at negotiating but i wouldn't be surprised if there is something in his contract saying he can go for so little back to Cheslea!

ReputationRep:
    The real final left now is Tottenham Vs Chelsea.
    I couldn't care if we even lose 4-0 against Utd. As long as we beat Spurs we almost guarantee a top 4 finish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    Yeah, you've got a few important games coming up. They will play us on the 11th or 12th, a date and time is yet to decided. The league is pretty much theirs now. 4 points ahead with 3 games left. Monday night was the "real" game that could have made Benfica drop points - but that wasn't the case. In fact, they could win the league against us and i couldn't think of a bigger motivator going to the Europa final after winning the Liga against their dear rivals!

That really wouldn't be surprise me! Probably for pennies too! Although Benfica aren't that bad at negotiating but i wouldn't be surprised if there is something in his contract saying he can go for so little back to Cheslea!
    Yeah. I guess it's really their title to lose. Still think they won't go light on you though and it's still a possible title for you guys. If I wasn't doing revision I'd probably watch that match.

Na our board are idiots tbh probably no buyback clause while we're at it. I guess getting such a quality player and it seems like he can play that matic role well we did good business if we don't buy him back for a lot of money. But matic as a backup player in DM so we can get rid of the old guard like mikel who slow play or bench them would be very nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    alright guys... let's calm down a little. Leave it yeah
    *Cringe* people still say that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    *Cringe* people still say that
    hahaha that's probably the first time I've said that. I just thought it'd be appropriate for this situation. :P

ReputationRep:
    As beautiful as Luiz's goal was today, I thought his all around play was subpar. Many many stray passes, mostly as a result of trying to force the issue a little too much, and he went missing at a few key defensive moments. I'm glad he's getting this chance to improve his play in CDM because he has potential there but he's far from a finished product imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    As beautiful as Luiz's goal was today, I thought his all around play was subpar. Many many stray passes, mostly as a result of trying to force the issue a little too much, and he went missing at a few key defensive moments. I'm glad he's getting this chance to improve his play in CDM because he has potential there but he's far from a finished product imo.
    Fair enough. But tbf to luiz he didn't want to miss the final so wasn't as tenacious as he usually is.

He was poor in passing but it's better than mikel slowing down play I feel. As long as it's not all real madrid go direct as possible till the opposition keeper misses one of his training drills then I'm fine with his passing.

ReputationRep:
    You're chatting nonsense.
    I rate benitez for what he has done but what you're chatting is bull****. I'm guessing heynckes got lucky with the CL in 1998 too and isn't a good manager. RDM did a great job, was expected to perform with a transition team with a totally new style of play. It was not going to happen. Same way we were never going to win the league.
    I'm a fan of your opinion so I'll ask you more directly.

Do you think Rafa or RDM is the better manager?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I'm a fan of your opinion so I'll ask you more directly.

Do you think Rafa or RDM is the better manager?
    It's rafa atm. Only because he has had way more experience at the top level and won more trophies. RDM's and rafa's early career have been pretty similar if not the same. Rafa being a tenerife reject and inexplicably being valencia manager, RDM being sacked from WBA and inexplicably being the chelsea manager. They both do very well at the clubs in their first season(CL, FA cup and rafa won la liga), do not so well in the second season(valencia came 5th in the league the next year)

So really I think RDM needs time at another job in order to prove his quality(or lack of it), rafa got time at valencia. So we're looking at two managers with similar early CV's but in different circumstances. Maybe a big team could take a punt on him and we'll see how good RDM really is. But until then it's very hard to compare the two directly.

Until then the easiest option would just be to say rafa. However I believe RDM was better for chelsea for obvious reasons(club legend, not hated blah blah blah)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I guess it's really their title to lose. Still think they won't go light on you though and it's still a possible title for you guys. If I wasn't doing revision I'd probably watch that match.

Na our board are idiots tbh probably no buyback clause while we're at it. I guess getting such a quality player and it seems like he can play that matic role well we did good business if we don't buy him back for a lot of money. But matic as a backup player in DM so we can get rid of the old guard like mikel who slow play or bench them would be very nice.
    If Benfica win at the weekend, they'll just need a point at the Dragão. I can't see us making it easy for them but i can see them winning it there. Nah, title is over for us. Not a good season for Porto at all. It's been red one with Benfica winning the Liga, most probably win the cup and getting into the final of the Europa. Yeah, that horrible time of year with exams and assignments etc.

To be honest, they probably didn't expect him to turn out quite well. Matic is better than to be just a back-up. I'd even be quite disappointed if he was to go somewhere and just be a back-up to someone. I couldn't stand him last season... but i can't fault him this season!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    If Benfica win at the weekend, they'll just need a point at the Dragão. I can't see us making it easy for them but i can see them winning it there. Nah, title is over for us. Not a good season for Porto at all. It's been red one with Benfica winning the Liga, most probably win the cup and getting into the final of the Europa. Yeah, that horrible time of year with exams and assignments etc.

To be honest, they probably didn't expect him to turn out quite well. Matic is better than to be just a back-up. I'd even be quite disappointed if he was to go somewhere and just be a back-up to someone. I couldn't stand him last season... but i can't fault him this season!
    That is true. Do you think VP should be sacked? I don't know too much about him but even in his first season people weren't really too fond of him iirc.

Matic would probably be like gustavo/martinez to bayern. So not necessarily a backup but won't be an automatic starter for us. He would play loads of games but if we shift luiz there next season he'll be on the bench for a little spell which would keep him fresh. I think chelsea need more top players even if they're on the bench, a good look at bayern and they seem to be doing it ridiculously well.

ReputationRep:
    It's rafa atm. Only because he has had way more experience at the top level and won more trophies. RDM's and rafa's early career have been pretty similar if not the same. Rafa being a tenerife reject and inexplicably being valencia manager, RDM being sacked from WBA and inexplicably being the chelsea manager. They both do very well at the clubs in their first season(CL, FA cup and rafa won la liga), do not so well in the second season(valencia came 5th in the league the next year)

So really I think RDM needs time at another job in order to prove his quality(or lack of it), rafa got time at valencia. So we're looking at two managers with similar early CV's but in different circumstances. Maybe a big team could take a punt on him and we'll see how good RDM really is. But until then it's very hard to compare the two directly.

Until then the easiest option would just be to say rafa. However I believe RDM was better for chelsea for obvious reasons(club legend, not hated blah blah blah)
    Would you not saying winning a league title is more of an achievement as a manager than the CL? That's usually what is rolled out to beat Rafa's Liverpool record. Think Rafa won La Liga again in his 3rd season with Valencia.

Tbfh, I think RDM worked out well for that season but I can see why he wasn't kept on longer term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Would you not saying winning a league title is more of an achievement as a manager than the CL? That's usually what is rolled out to beat Rafa's Liverpool record. Think Rafa won La Liga again in his 3rd season with Valencia.

Tbfh, I think RDM worked out well for that season but I can see why he wasn't kept on longer term.
    I guess so in itself but point still stands, we were out of the league when he came so he won all the trophies we were still in. Plus it was a double that season. So in context you'd say that they both had similar first/half seasons

Rafa did win it again. But I'm talking about the first 2 seasons. They both panned out similar, only that rafa was kept on and RDM was sacked at the very first opportunity. Also RDM could have gone on to win the league and we would all be saying how good a manager he is. I'd say that valencia team was better than our current chelsea squad in fact so to come 5th with them was very poor and easily deserving of a sacking(if RA was on the board)

I can see why, but I still feel it's a stupid reason to sack him. We had potential stability, a club legend as manager, playing great football and were in the running for the league with a transition team.

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from the bridge, bloody exhausted.

Fell asleep for pretty much the whole first half, so, so boring. Second half was much better.

I had to change my pants after David's goal... jizzed all over the joint. Incredible!

I much, much prefer David in the DM role. His defensive duties are great, his vision is excellent and unlike Mikel or Ramires, he can score Lampard'esque screamers from deep. I don't think anyone can deny he plays better as a DM than a CB, and both Cahill and Ivanovic are more than adequate. Gary had an excellent game tonight, I personally prefer them both over Terry.

Torres wasted a lot of opportunities tonight. I don't particularly rate Ba either. Drogba is the only consistently world class striker we've had for a decade now.

CBA to get into the RDM *****ing. He's been an excellent servant for the club, both as a player and a manager. He wasn't given enough time as a manager and the way in which he was dismissed was disrespectful and rash. They never wanted him as a manager and that was made clear after snubbing a contract extension at the end of the season, he was always on his way out, just a question of when and who would replace him. Not the way to handle a personality as big as himself. He'll always be a Chelsea hero.

ReputationRep:
    I am very jealous that CFC won the CL, every Arsenal fan is. what's that got to do with RDM being a **** manager? I'm just pointing out that he wasnt good enough to manager Chelsea and merely in the right place at the right time.

How the **** is that an attack on Chelsea?

Also the use of quotation marks on opinions is a hilariously ignorant use of the English language.
    Really? You say this in a post where you start words without capital letters, spell words wrong and miss out some words completely? :facepalm2:

Apparently I've negged you too recently to do it again :/

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.