The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Hazard should be 85/86. He's shown improvement, but in relation to what he does to the team he should not be any above 86 :colonhash: but they'd probably put him as 87 for the sake of it.

He was 87 before the updates wasnt he
Reply 1921
Original post by TH3-FL45H
He was 87 before the updates wasnt he

Yeah, which after his season for lille fair enough. Although to regulate the ratings I think he should be lower otherwise messi will be 97, ronaldo will be 95/96 and the likes of ibra, falcao, cavani and van persie will be 90+.
I'd lol if we managed to end up 2nd... you never know! City look like they can't be bothered.
Reply 1923
Original post by The Assassin
I'd lol if we managed to end up 2nd... you never know! City look like they can't be bothered.

Yeah was saying this. Funnily enough I predicted we'll come 2nd at the start of the season, with united first, city third and arsenal 4th. Looks like my prediction could come true.

We'll probably win the europa although it'll be a close tie. I knew we'd be in the final. We clearly had too good a squad to just get knocked out by joke teams like basel, rubin, prague and bucharest.
Original post by jam277
Yeah was saying this. Funnily enough I predicted we'll come 2nd at the start of the season, with united first, city third and arsenal 4th. Looks like my prediction could come true.

We'll probably win the europa although it'll be a close tie. I knew we'd be in the final. We clearly had too good a squad to just get knocked out by joke teams like basel, rubin, prague and bucharest.

Don;t think we'll come second, we've had so many chances this season to draw level on points with city but we've blown, tbh i would be delighted with 3rd seeing as its an improvement from 6th, if we win on Wednesday then pretty much guranteed CL and i hope Eden is back
Original post by jam277

Yep, it'll be close since they are capable of beating Chelsea. Other than Matic who's been mentioned quite a lot they do have some players like Rodrigo and Gaitan that could cause trouble. Hope Lampard/Terry start because their leadership will be important.

--

I was thinking about the possible transfers of Xabi/Robben. We won't give Lampard another year because he's over 30 but we'll happily fork out lots of mil and 100k per week to Alonso? No chance of them being signed. Don't even need Xabi but Robben would be good until our younger attacking mids develop more. Unless Mourinho demands the purchase of Robben if the former is to return.

Also, I know I was quite obsessed with wanting Moutinho to be bought but come to think of it it's easier + better to get Matic. Moutinho's great in all areas but being quite a small lad at 5'7, he isn't very physical whereas Matic is a whopping 6'4. Not to mention Porto aren't very good to do business with. Although I suppose Moutinho could be accompanied with a physical midfielder... maybe Luiz can be that.

Moving on from those two, what would you think of Gundogan as a CM?
Reply 1926
Original post by The Assassin
Yep, it'll be close since they are capable of beating Chelsea. Other than Matic who's been mentioned quite a lot they do have some players like Rodrigo and Gaitan that could cause trouble. Hope Lampard/Terry start because their leadership will be important.

--

I was thinking about the possible transfers of Xabi/Robben. We won't give Lampard another year because he's over 30 but we'll happily fork out lots of mil and 100k per week to Alonso? No chance of them being signed. Don't even need Xabi but Robben would be good until our younger attacking mids develop more. Unless Mourinho demands the purchase of Robben if the former is to return.

Also, I know I was quite obsessed with wanting Moutinho to be bought but come to think of it it's easier + better to get Matic. Moutinho's great in all areas but being quite a small lad at 5'7, he isn't very physical whereas Matic is a whopping 6'4. Not to mention Porto aren't very good to do business with. Although I suppose Moutinho could be accompanied with a physical midfielder... maybe Luiz can be that.

Moving on from those two, what would you think of Gundogan as a CM?

Although tweek knows more about him. From what I've seen gundogan looks a good signing who'd fit our team. He'd be able to get passes from deep and can play behind the striker too if needed. Haven't watched him enough to comment on his defensive capabilities though. Matic would be good for his physical presence too.

Original post by Sebister
Don;t think we'll come second, we've had so many chances this season to draw level on points with city but we've blown, tbh i would be delighted with 3rd seeing as its an improvement from 6th, if we win on Wednesday then pretty much guranteed CL and i hope Eden is back

Personally today has all but guaranteed CL. Everton have nothing to play for and their record at the big 4 away is dire under moyes. I think there's still a chance, city don't look bothered they're just looking at the FA cup where they'll demolish wigan and it's season over for them...
Reply 1927
Gundogan would be a dream signing. So much talent and such a bright future :coma:
Reply 1928
Original post by mhsc
Gundogan would be a dream signing. So much talent and such a bright future :coma:

He's amazing on FM.
Reply 1929
Haha needless to say FM is not the way to scout out players. But the handful of times I've seen Gundogan play recently I've just been like "I ****ing wish this guy played for Chelsea" because he's EXACTLY what we're missing, and he's so ****ing young still.
Original post by Sebister

If you beat Spurs then you're 6 points ahead with a goal difference of at least +16 (and the swing of goals in the game, ie a 1-0 win, will give a +18 GD over Spurs) so I'd say that's effectively top4 sealed.

3rd > 4th since the CL qualifiers are only getting more difficult too. A win would put you 4 points ahead of Arsenal too so basically little pressure again Villa and Everton - would mean you could rest your first string against Villa for the EL final?

Chelsea have had an insane number of games this season! With another 4 this season, how many will that be as a total for the season?
Reply 1931
Original post by Zerforax
If you beat Spurs then you're 6 points ahead with a goal difference of at least +16 (and the swing of goals in the game, ie a 1-0 win, will give a +18 GD over Spurs) so I'd say that's effectively top4 sealed.

3rd > 4th since the CL qualifiers are only getting more difficult too. A win would put you 4 points ahead of Arsenal too so basically little pressure again Villa and Everton - would mean you could rest your first string against Villa for the EL final?

Chelsea have had an insane number of games this season! With another 4 this season, how many will that be as a total for the season?

Tbh even with the run of games I could still see us getting top 4 personally. Had we'd beat southampton we'd be 1 point behind city but hey that's minor. You know what I was saying before, I still think he's done a decent job but nothing more. He's taken us to a final where we were the overwhelming favourites to win it(come on we won the real european trophy) but he deserves credit for that.

Just wondering, considering his time in his whole career do you think rafa is a league man? I find that he's very inconsistent in the league but he'll always give his team a good cup run or very impressive cup results(real madrid matches e.g.), also do you see him getting the real job? 3rd and europa would put him in good stead for it. Maybe a switch might happen(mou to chelsea and rafa to madrid)
Original post by jam277
Tbh even with the run of games I could still see us getting top 4 personally. Had we'd beat southampton we'd be 1 point behind city but hey that's minor. You know what I was saying before, I still think he's done a decent job but nothing more. He's taken us to a final where we were the overwhelming favourites to win it(come on we won the real european trophy) but he deserves credit for that.

Just wondering, considering his time in his whole career do you think rafa is a league man? I find that he's very inconsistent in the league but he'll always give his team a good cup run or very impressive cup results(real madrid matches e.g.), also do you see him getting the real job? 3rd and europa would put him in good stead for it. Maybe a switch might happen(mou to chelsea and rafa to madrid)

Yea you're definitely in the best position for top4/3rd and I think you will get a draw/win against Chelsea. Rafa will set up the team to nullify Bale and Spurs don't seem to have much more than him at the moment.

Tbh a trophy is a trophy. Chelsea were pretty much out of the CL groups by the time RDM was sacked/Rafa bought in so it's the best of a bad situation I guess?

Mmm I'd agree that he's more of a cup/big game manager than a league manager at the moment. He did win two league titles with Valencia and obviously Liverpool came 2nd during his tenure. If he was given a job like the Man City job, I'm sure he could win the title with a squad he brought in but obviously its more about more efficient use of funds at other clubs.

I think Rafa can set up his teams up more to not lose than he can set up to win? If that makes sense? I'm sure he would've been a gold mine in the old days when it was 2 for a win and 1 for a draw.

I think Rafa would need to be a bit lucky/have a lot of money to be able to get a striker and a creative player and then his system would work? Valencia he obviously won titles, at Liverpool he never quite had the funds to achieve both a strong XI and depth for a sustained title challenge? Inter was a flop and at Chelsea he's dropped points in the league/not overachived relative to City/Arsenal/Spurs and gotten nowhere close to Utd.
Reply 1933
Yea you're definitely in the best position for top4/3rd and I think you will get a draw/win against Chelsea. Rafa will set up the team to nullify Bale and Spurs don't seem to have much more than him at the moment.

Tbh a trophy is a trophy. Chelsea were pretty much out of the CL groups by the time RDM was sacked/Rafa bought in so it's the best of a bad situation I guess?

Mmm I'd agree that he's more of a cup/big game manager than a league manager at the moment. He did win two league titles with Valencia and obviously Liverpool came 2nd during his tenure. If he was given a job like the Man City job, I'm sure he could win the title with a squad he brought in but obviously its more about more efficient use of funds at other clubs.

I think Rafa can set up his teams up more to not lose than he can set up to win? If that makes sense? I'm sure he would've been a gold mine in the old days when it was 2 for a win and 1 for a draw.

I think Rafa would need to be a bit lucky/have a lot of money to be able to get a striker and a creative player and then his system would work? Valencia he obviously won titles, at Liverpool he never quite had the funds to achieve both a strong XI and depth for a sustained title challenge? Inter was a flop and at Chelsea he's dropped points in the league/not overachived relative to City/Arsenal/Spurs and gotten nowhere close to Utd.

Yeah, rafa is too cagey for my liking at times(although tbf he has learnt recently e.g. putting torres and ba together and using oscar in CM when we're behind in a match) which can cost vital points for a league title.
Yeah don't see us losing to tottenham. Although a loss to tottenham would make the top 4 race really interesting :teeth:

I wouldn't neccesarily say best of a bad situation, going out of the group stages wasn't a crisis, we weren't going to win it personally and ended up in a competition we would easily win(although that's no excuse) and we got knocked out of two cups pretty embarrasingly and in the third cup exit we only turned up for 30 mins...

Relatively I think points wise we're doing fine I guess(you can't win every game like you said before) although in another way the teams at the top have been so poor(bar united) that any team could have taken 2nd place with a run of results(see us right now) We lost to southampton away, drew to them at home and lost to QPR at home. That's 8 points lost, I'd realistically expect at least 5/6 out of 9 from these games and we'd be in second place. That's why I'm disappointed about the league.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Yeah, reminded me a little about sanchez and terry. Was a red though. They'll make up when they play for brazil in the world cup.

A little, yes. I don't dispute that it was a red; I just didn't like Luiz's conduct.

Anyway, enough about it. Rafael was petulant and Luiz was childish; that's really is all that needs to be said. I'm very excited for Wednesday.

Yeah win against spurs and top in guaranteed, impossible for spurs to catch us but if we win vs Villa i think 3rd is also guaranteed but i dont think rafa will want us to atleast draw which is why i dont we'll go all out to win vs spurs.

It crazy how many games we've played, we'll play 69 games this season which is a record
its funny when people say how bad torres has gone since he left liverpool. He hasnt actually changed (if anything, hes stronger), but its because he doesnt have steven gerrard behind him giving him magic passes to run onto and score

no one at chelsea can live up to what gerrard was at his peak - no wonder the chelsea board were crying when gerrard backed out of his move to chelsea
Original post by tazsuarez
its funny when people say how bad torres has gone since he left liverpool. He hasnt actually changed (if anything, hes stronger), but its because he doesnt have steven gerrard behind him giving him magic passes to run onto and score

no one at chelsea can live up to what gerrard was at his peak - no wonder the chelsea board were crying when gerrard backed out of his move to chelsea

Mata? :facepalm:
Reply 1938
Original post by tazsuarez

Not really. We have Lampard.
Reply 1939
Big transfer news: RUMOURS but well supported ones

- Bayer Leverekeusen offered Schurrle if KdB part of exchange

- Then Bayer chairman confirms there is a 'much higher offer from dortmund' for KdB - heavily rumured to involve Lewandowski

- Chelsea atm have rejected all offers/ advances on KdB

EDIT - very latest is that KdB on loan to BVB as part of deal for Lewandowski OR KdB sold to BVB for Lewandoski but with a buy-back clause
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest