The Student Room Group

a* question

if i didn't get A* at normal mathematics a level, is it possible to still get it for further maths?

was just wondering because i know some exams are compulsory for each course ie. C1,C2,C3,C4 for normal mathematics but the rest are mix and match.

but yeah, is it still possible?
also what are the requirements, sorry if this is already posted
Original post by clemeh
if i didn't get A* at normal mathematics a level, is it possible to still get it for further maths?

was just wondering because i know some exams are compulsory for each course ie. C1,C2,C3,C4 for normal mathematics but the rest are mix and match.

but yeah, is it still possible?
also what are the requirements, sorry if this is already posted

it is theoretically possible to score A* at A-level Further Maths , without an A* at A-level Maths.

requirements are as far as i am aware , an A grade across your AS Further Maths modules , then an average of 90% across your A2 Further Maths modules.

I could be wrong on this though , so please correct me if so.
Reply 2
yep, for an a* in maths you need an average of 180 over C3 and C4, and of course they aren't used in further maths, so it is possible to get an A in Maths and an A* in Further Maths. You need 270/300 UMS from your 3 best A2 modules to get an A*, so probably from FP2, D2, S2, M2
Reply 3
thanks guys!
it confuses me because our school does our further maths modules so weirdly, and also i have no idea which exams are going towards which course haha.
but it's good to know it's still possible! thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by clemeh
thanks guys!
it confuses me because our school does our further maths modules so weirdly, and also i have no idea which exams are going towards which course haha.
but it's good to know it's still possible! thanks :smile:

It's because outside of the 'core' modules, your college doesn't know which exams will go to which. It's all done by an algorithm by the exam board to ensure you get the best two possible grades.

For example, C1-C4 has to be with A-Level Maths, so your A* is determined solely on whether or not you have 180 UMS in C3 and C4. However, with Further Maths, you just need to have 3 modules with an average of 90 UMS, and outside of FP1-FP3 they can change all the non-core modules between Maths and Further Maths.

What they'll generally do is put your highest achieving, applied, non-first modules into Further Maths. So FP2-FP3, M2-M5, S2-S4, D2 etc. whichever of these you do, if you get an average of 90% in 3 of them, you'll get an A* in Further Maths.
Reply 5
Original post by Noble.
It's because outside of the 'core' modules, your college doesn't know which exams will go to which. It's all done by an algorithm by the exam board to ensure you get the best two possible grades.

For example, C1-C4 has to be with A-Level Maths, so your A* is determined solely on whether or not you have 180 UMS in C3 and C4. However, with Further Maths, you just need to have 3 modules with an average of 90 UMS, and outside of FP1-FP3 they can change all the non-core modules between Maths and Further Maths.

What they'll generally do is put your highest achieving, applied, non-first modules into Further Maths. So FP2-FP3, M2-M5, S2-S4, D2 etc. whichever of these you do, if you get an average of 90% in 3 of them, you'll get an A* in Further Maths.

i got above a 90 in decision 2 and am currently doing M2, S2 and FP2 in summer. so does that mean if i get higher than a 90 in any 2 of those exams i could get an a*?

i also got above a 90 in FP1 but that goes towards the AS module am i right?
Reply 6
Original post by clemeh
i got above a 90 in decision 2 and am currently doing M2, S2 and FP2 in summer. so does that mean if i get higher than a 90 in any 2 of those exams i could get an a*?

i also got above a 90 in FP1 but that goes towards the AS module am i right?

You need an average of 90, so you only need to get 270 - (D2), by (D2) I mean your score in D2, in two of M2, S2 and FP2.

So if you got 95 in D2, you could get 87 in M2 and 88 in FP2 - this would give you an A* overall as (D2) + (M2) + (FP2) = 270.
Reply 7
Original post by Noble.
You need an average of 90, so you only need to get 270 - (D2), by (D2) I mean your score in D2, in two of M2, S2 and FP2.

So if you got 95 in D2, you could get 87 in M2 and 88 in FP2 - this would give you an A* overall as (D2) + (M2) + (FP2) = 270.

thank you so much for your help!

i got 92 in decision so
270 - 92 = 178
= 89 in 2 exams (roughly)

sounds good! fp2 is seeming like a pain though right now >_< but then again so did other exams at this stage haha. thanks for your help again!
Reply 8
Original post by clemeh
thank you so much for your help!

i got 92 in decision so
270 - 92 = 178
= 89 in 2 exams (roughly)

sounds good! fp2 is seeming like a pain though right now >_< but then again so did other exams at this stage haha. thanks for your help again!

Don't sweat too much over FP2, both M2 and S2 are considerably more straightforward than FP2.
Reply 9
Original post by Noble.
Don't sweat too much over FP2, both M2 and S2 are considerably more straightforward than FP2.

thats good :smile: im enjoying M2 right now.
haven't started S2 yet, but the short amount of S2 chapters seems a good thing :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest